Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Using Google Voice on Dell Streak 7

Set up Google Voice

Google Voice Needs to Verify Your phone number
You need to decide which calls to make with Google Voice
Google Voice needs to configure your voicemail.

This phone's number
Select the number of this phone
Home (home number)
Mobile (mobile number of Dell Streak)

Making Calls with Google Voice
  • Use Google Voice to make all calls
  • Do not use Google Voice to any calls
  • Only use Google Voice for international calls
  • Ask every time I make a call
Set up voicemail
In order to configure your voicemail we need access to your current settings

Set up voicemail (page 2)
Google voice takes over voicemail it seems **configure**

Call Settings Error
Failed to retrieve and save current forwarding number settings.
Do you want to switch to the new provider anyway? **yes**

I noticed that I can sign out as well and repeat the entire process. Can I change something so that the Google Voice number will show up when I make a call? If I show my Dell Streak 7 phone number, that number will not work.

Call Settings Error
Forwarding number change unsuccessful
Please contact your carrier if this problem persits **ok**

Inbox Synchronization
Google Voice will keep your inbox synchronized and notify you as soon as new messages arrive. This feature requires background data to be enabled. **finished**

Once done, I hit the Menu button. I have a Compose, Refresh, Labels, Balance, Search, More. I don't see a way to make a call though. I am using the application from Google: Google Voice. Is there a way to make a call?

Advertisements
Corey Bryant is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,354
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 286 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Bryant View Post
I noticed that I can sign out as well and repeat the entire process. Can I change something so that the Google Voice number will show up when I make a call? If I show my Dell Streak 7 phone number, that number will not work.
That's what the option below (quoted from your post) is for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Bryant View Post
Making Calls with Google Voice
  • Use Google Voice to make all calls
  • Do not use Google Voice to any calls
  • Only use Google Voice for international calls
  • Ask every time I make a call
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Bryant View Post
I don't see a way to make a call though. I am using the application from Google: Google Voice. Is there a way to make a call?
Not through the GV app itself. You use the dialer that you've always used on your device.
takeshi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Clementine_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Down in the park where the Machmen meet the machines and play 'kill by numbers'
Posts: 2,436
 
Device(s): Moto X developer edition
Carrier: Over-priced stooopid Verizon

Thanks: 519
Thanked 702 Times in 577 Posts
Default

For calls...you can use Voice Choice - Android app on AppBrain (there is a paid version w/extras too). It allows you to choose what numbers to use GV and what numbers to use your cell number. Very handy. There is also Google Voice Callback Donate for Android | AppBrain.com if you have a Friends and Family/Fav 5 type plan, free (outgoing) calls!
There are a lot of ways to use/set up GV...
Clementine_3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
roblee37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i use it with sipdroid.. it configures itself when you check the option to use with gv.. i can make and receive calls...
roblee37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine_3 View Post
For calls...you can use Voice Choice - Android app on AppBrain (there is a paid version w/extras too). It allows you to choose what numbers to use GV and what numbers to use your cell number. Very handy. There is also Google Voice Callback Donate for Android | AppBrain.com if you have a Friends and Family/Fav 5 type plan, free (outgoing) calls!
There are a lot of ways to use/set up GV...
I check out the other apps tomorrow. One would think that the Google Voice app would work.

If there is a way to make the Google Voice App (from Google Voice) work, please do let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Not through the GV app itself. You use the dialer that you've always used on your device.
Unfortunately, this cannot be done. The Dell Streak 7 cannot make phone calls. I have to use a Google Voice or another utility.

I would like Google Voice to at least take over my voice mail (since the Dell Streak 7 does not make phone calls, will not ring when you dial the number, and no voice is available).
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblee37 View Post
i use it with sipdroid.. it configures itself when you check the option to use with gv.. i can make and receive calls...
I'll check out this app as well tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Corey Bryant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Clementine_3, I downloaded the Voice Choice. However, I cannot seem to get it to work (with ease). When I opened it this morning, I saw all my contacts, and if someone had 5 numbers associated with them, I saw 5 contacts with different phone numbers.

I went back to it now, and I just see phone numbers. I am hoping you might use this some and ran into these issues and can help guide me along to get this working with ease.

Thanks!
Corey Bryant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Corey Bryant :

I've got a Dell Streak 7 with android 2.2. OS. And, Google Voice does not work with Android 2.2
garystan
garystan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
dell streak 7, google voice


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.