Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default DoggCatcher (podcatcher) ideas for enhancement

In another post on Android forums, one of the DoggCatcher developers has been monitoring the forum for ideas for enhancement, and requested Android forums' users share ideas for feature enhancements of their Android podcatcher application.

I'm starting this post to be a place to capture DoggCatcher-specific requests for enhancement of the app. (DoggCatcher does have their own online forum, but I'm starting this thread for those Android users who don't want to maintain an online account and id/password to a forum for each app downloaded onto our Android device.)

Please be sure you try to write a decent Title for each future request post you start. That will make it easier to discuss amongst other users and help ensure we are all on the same page when discussing a potential feature.

MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default More stable slider bar

I wonder if DoggCatcher would consider making the playback slider bar, the red bar on the playback screen that shows how much time has elapsed in podcast playback, more stable so the podcast won't jump to an unintended part of the playback by an inadvertant touch on the screen. For example, making a long touch be necessary, like you already do for the "done" button that is in the lower right corner of the playback screen, would probably solve the problem.

Importantly, once you touch the screen and thus get to the wrong part of the playback (say, finding oneself at minute 45 rather than where one was near the beginning of the podcast), it becomes almost impossible to get back to where you were. There might be some other ideas for working on this problem too (say, an "undo" button???) But I think the first idea of requiring a long press to move the slider bar is better.
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Seekbar

That's happened to me too. I had a request to disable the seekbar, maybe you should have a choice disable/press/longpress to control how you want it to behave.

I updated my issue for this - 0000272: Ability to disable the seekbar - Mantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB200 View Post
I wonder if DoggCatcher would consider making the playback slider bar, the red bar on the playback screen that shows how much time has elapsed in podcast playback, more stable so the podcast won't jump to an unintended part of the playback by an inadvertant touch on the screen. For example, making a long touch be necessary, like you already do for the "done" button that is in the lower right corner of the playback screen, would probably solve the problem.

Importantly, once you touch the screen and thus get to the wrong part of the playback (say, finding oneself at minute 45 rather than where one was near the beginning of the podcast), it becomes almost impossible to get back to where you were. There might be some other ideas for working on this problem too (say, an "undo" button???) But I think the first idea of requiring a long press to move the slider bar is better.
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eric.doggcatcher For This Useful Post:
MB200 (February 26th, 2010)
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default More stable slider bar

Eric -- I like your idea. Configurable "disable/press/longpress" would be a great software engineering implementation that would get the desired effect for the user interface problem I described.
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Control podcasts from external buttons on a smartphone

Would it be possible to enable a user-configurable setting that would allow one to utilize the external buttons on an Android smartphone to have software configured functionality?

For example, on my particular smartphone, a Motorola Cliq, I can easily reach the external buttons that are (normally) for volume up and volume down. However, there are two problems using these for podcast playback. 1) once the screen blanks, the buttons are inactive until the screen lock is removed, and 2) I already have a volume control in my earbuds that works just fine.

Might it be possible to software-configure those two buttons for other purposes? For example, skip fwd (or if held down for, say, >1 second, skip backward) on one button, and listen to the next downloaded podcast on the other button?

This would make it easy to leave the smartphone in the holster and manage one's listening with a single hand, rather than have to take out the device, wake up the screen, and use two hands to muck around with the screen user interface.

This is a general request for all Android devices. It is not specific to any one particular device manufacturer like Motorola or HTC.

Can DoggCatcher even get access to these buttons or are they fixed function by the Android OS?
MB200 is offline  
Last edited by MB200; January 28th, 2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: clarify the text
Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Hardware buttons

I'm pretty sure that once the screen is locked, you're only able to unlock it with a homescreen app. I've seen a few discussions about the hardware buttons in the android forums and there are a couple of the buttons that you can respond to but everyone discourages doing that.

What would seem to me to be the most natural solution is to extend the handling of the media buttons to perform the functions you mention with dbl and long presses. I just added the ability to control bluetooth ff/rew (will be released tonight). I also noticed accidentally that the ff/rew works with the nexus one wired headset. There must be a device that sits in-line between your phone and your headset that has the play/pause/ff/rew buttons. That would be ideal.

If anyone is aware of such a device, I'm sure others would like to hear about it. I think what we are looking for is a TRRS connector - TRS connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB200 View Post
Would it be possible to enable a user-configurable setting that would allow one to utilize the external buttons on an Android smartphone to have software configured functionality?

For example, on my particular smartphone, a Motorola Cliq, I can easily reach the external buttons that are (normally) for volume up and volume down. However, there are two problems using these for podcast playback. 1) once the screen blanks, the buttons are inactive until the screen lock is removed, and 2) I already have a volume control in my earbuds that works just fine.

Might it be possible to software-configure those two buttons for other purposes? For example, skip fwd (or if held down for, say, >1 second, skip backward) on one button, and listen to the next downloaded podcast on the other button?

This would make it easy to leave the smartphone in the holster and manage one's listening with a single hand, rather than have to take out the device, wake up the screen, and use two hands to muck around with the screen user interface.

This is a general request for all Android devices. It is not specific to any one particular device manufacturer like Motorola or HTC.

Can DoggCatcher even get access to these buttons or are they fixed function by the Android OS?
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

New version is out! UI improvements and bug fixes.
eggs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Thanks Eric for the response. Two questions:

1) When you say "TRRS" are you implying that a different physical jack would be needed on the Android device, and a different physical plug would be needed on the headset/earbuds? In other words, for the set of functionality you foresee with a TRRS connector (if one were to exist), would it only be useful for future products and not for existing Android devices with 3.5 mm jacks?

2) I could not quite tell from your response, is the screen lock necessarily interconnected to the liveness or deadness of the external hardware buttons? Is there any software way for an app (with proper access permissions, of course) to get control of the external volUp and volDn buttons? If you could, I'd recommend designing such that DoggCatcher retains control only while it is playing back a podcast, and it could willingly cede control of the buttons once, say, an incoming call was detected (by just pausing playback as it now does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.doggcatcher View Post
I'm pretty sure that once the screen is locked, you're only able to unlock it with a homescreen app. I've seen a few discussions about the hardware buttons in the android forums and there are a couple of the buttons that you can respond to but everyone discourages doing that.

What would seem to me to be the most natural solution is to extend the handling of the media buttons to perform the functions you mention with dbl and long presses. I just added the ability to control bluetooth ff/rew (will be released tonight). I also noticed accidentally that the ff/rew works with the nexus one wired headset. There must be a device that sits in-line between your phone and your headset that has the play/pause/ff/rew buttons. That would be ideal.

If anyone is aware of such a device, I'm sure others would like to hear about it. I think what we are looking for is a TRRS connector - TRS connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.doggcatcher View Post
What would seem to me to be the most natural solution is to extend the handling of the media buttons to perform the functions you mention with dbl and long presses. I just added the ability to control bluetooth ff/rew (will be released tonight). I also noticed accidentally that the ff/rew works with the nexus one wired headset. There must be a device that sits in-line between your phone and your headset that has the play/pause/ff/rew buttons. That would be ideal.

If anyone is aware of such a device, I'm sure others would like to hear about it. I think what we are looking for is a TRRS connector - TRS connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Eric,

At least some headsets already make use of long presses. I am using the Altec-Lansing (Plantronic) Backbeat 903 bluetooth stereo headset -- which seems to work great with DC on my Sprint Samsung Moment. On the backbeat headset, the main button on the right earphone pauses playback. A long press on the same button turns a bass boost feature on or off. A second button or lever controls the volume. A long press on that button skips to the next or previous track. I suspect that other headphone manufacturers have added similar capability to their phones. I mention this because it seems at least possible that adding actions in software might create some sort of unintended conflict with these manufacturer actions. Just fyi.

Oh, and thanks for a great piece of software -- I just love being able to download and listen to my podcasts without having to wait until I can connect to my computer. DC is head and shoulders over any of the competitors I have tried.
Rjohnjr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default trrs and buttons

1 - The nexus one has a trrs jack and I would imagine other devices would as well. Take a read of the wikipedia article, it does a really good job of explaining this...much better than I can.

2 - When you're not a home app, there's only one button you can respond to. I think it's the camera button. This is at least as far as I follow the documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB200 View Post
Thanks Eric for the response. Two questions:

1) When you say "TRRS" are you implying that a different physical jack would be needed on the Android device, and a different physical plug would be needed on the headset/earbuds? In other words, for the set of functionality you foresee with a TRRS connector (if one were to exist), would it only be useful for future products and not for existing Android devices with 3.5 mm jacks?

2) I could not quite tell from your response, is the screen lock necessarily interconnected to the liveness or deadness of the external hardware buttons? Is there any software way for an app (with proper access permissions, of course) to get control of the external volUp and volDn buttons? If you could, I'd recommend designing such that DoggCatcher retains control only while it is playing back a podcast, and it could willingly cede control of the buttons once, say, an incoming call was detected (by just pausing playback as it now does).
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Last edited by eric.doggcatcher; February 7th, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default long press

android supports bluetooth play/pause/next/prev. it sounds like your device has some internal mechanism for handling long presses and then sends the appropriate play/pause/next/prev bluetooth command. the bass boost and volume i assume do not translate to bluetooth commands since they are handled internally on your headset.

i did try to handle bluetooth long presses but wasn't able to get it to work...i'm not sure if that's technically possible or not.

glad you like the app.

eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohnjr View Post
Eric,

At least some headsets already make use of long presses. I am using the Altec-Lansing (Plantronic) Backbeat 903 bluetooth stereo headset -- which seems to work great with DC on my Sprint Samsung Moment. On the backbeat headset, the main button on the right earphone pauses playback. A long press on the same button turns a bass boost feature on or off. A second button or lever controls the volume. A long press on that button skips to the next or previous track. I suspect that other headphone manufacturers have added similar capability to their phones. I mention this because it seems at least possible that adding actions in software might create some sort of unintended conflict with these manufacturer actions. Just fyi.

Oh, and thanks for a great piece of software -- I just love being able to download and listen to my podcasts without having to wait until I can connect to my computer. DC is head and shoulders over any of the competitors I have tried.
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default trrs and buttons

Thanks Eric for the input. I decided to give a TRRS pair of earbuds a try, so I purchased a pair of JLAB J3Ms. This uses the TRRS jack you mentioned (with the double (R)ing segments) so, apparently, one additional channel of switch data can be conveyed from the earbuds to the smartphone. JLAB adds a button inline to one of the two earbuds, and calls this a "phone control button": they say that it is compatible with "most phones with a 3 mm jack", but only list iPhone and Blackberry specifically.

It appears that my Motorola Cliq can sense the press of the button, but in my case, it doesn't do what JLAB says it will do. In my case, it only brings up the Android audio dialing application; nothing more. The JLAB info that came with the earbuds says it will do one of these two things:
1) "Use with phone: To make or receive a call, simply press the phone control button once. When you are finished, press the PCB again to return to normal music listening mode."
2) "When listening to music: Quickly press the phone control button twice to skip to the next track, or quickly press it three times to skip to the previous track."

I don't need to do no. 1, as DoggCatcher already pauses the podcast playback when I receive a phone call, or when I make a call. And DC automatically resumes the podcast when the call is over. This is great behavior. My music player works similarly so the button is unnecessary for that.

As to number 2, it seems like DoggCatcher ought to be able to detect the presses (since my phone sees the presses somehow) and then, perhaps with software configurability, do one or two simple behaviors based on the characteristics of the press(es).

If the phone can detect the press, can DoggCatcher access the "press" information and use it as you wish to in your app?


Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.doggcatcher View Post
1 - The nexus one has a trrs jack and I would image other devices would as well. Take a read of the wikipedia article, it does a really good job of explaining this...much better than I can.

2 - When you're not a home app, there's only one button you can respond to. I think it's the camera button. This is at least as far as I follow the documentation.
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default J3M's

It's good that android is able to detect the presses. In order for DC to 'see' them, you'll need to enable the 'bind to headset' preference. That alone may do what you want.

I'm guessing that double-pressing the button is sending a 'next' command to the phone and 'triple-pressing' is sending the prev command.

It that doesn't work, then just do all the actions that the headset does, let me know what you did and email me the log (in the dc menu send log to support at snoggdoggler.com). I should be able to see from that how android is perceiving the button presses.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MB200 View Post
Thanks Eric for the input. I decided to give a TRRS pair of earbuds a try, so I purchased a pair of JLAB J3Ms. This uses the TRRS jack you mentioned (with the double (R)ing segments) so, apparently, one additional channel of switch data can be conveyed from the earbuds to the smartphone. JLAB adds a button inline to one of the two earbuds, and calls this a "phone control button": they say that it is compatible with "most phones with a 3 mm jack", but only list iPhone and Blackberry specifically.

It appears that my Motorola Cliq can sense the press of the button, but in my case, it doesn't do what JLAB says it will do. In my case, it only brings up the Android audio dialing application; nothing more. The JLAB info that came with the earbuds says it will do one of these two things:
1) "Use with phone: To make or receive a call, simply press the phone control button once. When you are finished, press the PCB again to return to normal music listening mode."
2) "When listening to music: Quickly press the phone control button twice to skip to the next track, or quickly press it three times to skip to the previous track."

I don't need to do no. 1, as DoggCatcher already pauses the podcast playback when I receive a phone call, or when I make a call. And DC automatically resumes the podcast when the call is over. This is great behavior. My music player works similarly so the button is unnecessary for that.

As to number 2, it seems like DoggCatcher ought to be able to detect the presses (since my phone sees the presses somehow) and then, perhaps with software configurability, do one or two simple behaviors based on the characteristics of the press(es).

If the phone can detect the press, can DoggCatcher access the "press" information and use it as you wish to in your app?
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eric.doggcatcher For This Useful Post:
MB200 (February 26th, 2010)
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default J3M and the TRRS plug on a Motorola Cliq

Thanks for the quick response Eric. I've done the "bind to headset" and did get somewhat different behavior. I will definitely gather the data you are asking for and send it to you, but am buried at present so it will have to wait a few more days. Cheers.
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Jlab J3M headset on a Motorola Cliq

Hi Eric. I just did a number of tests of the headset button on my motorola cliq, and sent you the logs, and a followup explanatory note as to my test procedure, as you requested.

In net, the behavior I saw seems to be just a simple toggle on the playback, from the play state to the stopped state, and vice versa, with each press of the headset button.

I look forward to learning what you learn from the logs.
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Headset button behavior enhancement request

I think it would be great if there were a bit of software configurability to the behavior one gets from, say, single-presses, double-presses, and tripple-presses of the headset button, and also long-presses (press and hold) if the DC software is able to detect a long press as different from a short press.

Suggested behaviors that could be tied to various (DC-detectable) button press behaviors:
  • stop/start playback of the currently selected feed and podcast (toggle the play state)
  • back (software pre-configured) skip seconds in the current podcast
  • forward (skip) (software-preconfigured) skip seconds
  • next podcast in the current feed
  • next feed, start playback of first podcast
  • back (software pre-configured) 4 times the default skip seconds
You can probably think of others, but each of these would be extremely useful to me in my situation where getting at the device touch-screen is very awkward, or not allowed per employer work rules, in some situations.
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Logs

I got your logs, thanks for sending them. I'll take a look and let you know what I find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB200 View Post
Hi Eric. I just did a number of tests of the headset button on my motorola cliq, and sent you the logs, and a followup explanatory note as to my test procedure, as you requested.

In net, the behavior I saw seems to be just a simple toggle on the playback, from the play state to the stopped state, and vice versa, with each press of the headset button.

I look forward to learning what you learn from the logs.
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 16
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to billtvshow
Default

I love this app and just recently promoted it to my home screen apps, as I pull it up many times daily. My biggest problem with it right now is that after one of the more recent updates (last month or two), when I go to open a feed, the screen jumps to the bottom of the feed and then I have to scroll up to the top of the feed to check out the newest stuff. What's worse is when you read an article and go back, it's back at the bottom again, which is particularly annoying if you have a lot of items set to load by default. I assume this was done for a reason, but I don't really know why. My request is that we have the option to choose whether the display position of a feed starts at the top (or bottom) of the list and that the app remembers our screen position when we go back.
billtvshow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): Samsung S3, Nexus 7, Asus TF701
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Volume Boost

Hi, I love the program and use it alot. However, I am using it with several BT items (Jabra headset and Blueant S1), and the volume is too low on both of them. It would be great if there were a way to incorporate some sort of volume boost, either in hearing the media in the program, or boosting it when downloading, or....

I'm assuming it would be a lot of work- so any other suggestions besides downloading to computer, using Audacity, re-uploading, etc. That's what I like about DC- the automation of the whole process of downloading podcasts!

Thanks,
Dave
dtfamily is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Auto scroll

Yep, it's scrolling to the oldest item so you can start reading from the oldest, which is normally the case. I have heard from a few people that they would like to start at the top. I created an issue to add a preference for this behavior.

Thanks for the suggestion.

0000412: Preference for auto-scrolling to oldest or newest item in feed - Mantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtvshow View Post
I love this app and just recently promoted it to my home screen apps, as I pull it up many times daily. My biggest problem with it right now is that after one of the more recent updates (last month or two), when I go to open a feed, the screen jumps to the bottom of the feed and then I have to scroll up to the top of the feed to check out the newest stuff. What's worse is when you read an article and go back, it's back at the bottom again, which is particularly annoying if you have a lot of items set to load by default. I assume this was done for a reason, but I don't really know why. My request is that we have the option to choose whether the display position of a feed starts at the top (or bottom) of the list and that the app remembers our screen position when we go back.
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Volume adjustment

I didn't think this was possible but it look likes it might be.

I created an issue for this - 0000413: Ability to increase volume level - Mantis

Thanks for the idea.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dtfamily View Post
Hi, I love the program and use it alot. However, I am using it with several BT items (Jabra headset and Blueant S1), and the volume is too low on both of them. It would be great if there were a way to incorporate some sort of volume boost, either in hearing the media in the program, or boosting it when downloading, or....

I'm assuming it would be a lot of work- so any other suggestions besides downloading to computer, using Audacity, re-uploading, etc. That's what I like about DC- the automation of the whole process of downloading podcasts!

Thanks,
Dave
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eric.doggcatcher For This Useful Post:
dtfamily (May 24th, 2011)
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Seekbar fix

I recently downloaded the latest update and found you have implemented the "more stable" seekbar. Awesome. The ability to set it up to recognize only a long press to move the seekbar is just what I needed.

I really appreciate how well you support this app!
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Podiobook use

Love the app use it more than any of the others. The problem I am getting is when I wish to listen to a Podiobook. The entire book downloads in a feed with each chapter being an episode like it should. The problem is when I finish listening to the first chapter, instead of going straight to the next one it either jumps to a new feed or starts at the last chapter and tries to run backward through the chapters. I find I have to unlock the phone and start the next chapter for each one to have then play in the correct order. Since I work in construction often as a painter this is aggravating as I have to clean up and set up the next chapter manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
raistian77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Still looking at it

At first glance it's seems that your headset is sending the same signal to android, regardless of how you press the button (single/dbl/triple), so I don't understand how the documentation you have matches what I am seeing.

I have a wired headset that came with my nexus one that has next/prev buttons on it. I need to do some more testing to see how the events the my headset is sending differs from yours.

From your logs, it looks like the only way that a device could do a prev/next is to interpret the delay between the button presses. I'm not sure about this but this is yet, but I'll know more once I compare to my headset.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MB200 View Post
Hi Eric. I just did a number of tests of the headset button on my motorola cliq, and sent you the logs, and a followup explanatory note as to my test procedure, as you requested.

In net, the behavior I saw seems to be just a simple toggle on the playback, from the play state to the stopped state, and vice versa, with each press of the headset button.

I look forward to learning what you learn from the logs.
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Playlist order

It's really great to hear how you are using the app at work, I haven't heard anyone using it while painting before.

The order that the items play in should be the order that they are listed in the playlist. If that's not the case, let me know because that would be a bug.

For virtual feeds, the items should be sorted in the order of the title (filename). What I have heard that some people do is name the files such that they get the order they want. I think if you name them starting with 01, 02, 03...the sort will work out the way you want.


Quote:
Originally Posted by raistian77 View Post
Love the app use it more than any of the others. The problem I am getting is when I wish to listen to a Podiobook. The entire book downloads in a feed with each chapter being an episode like it should. The problem is when I finish listening to the first chapter, instead of going straight to the next one it either jumps to a new feed or starts at the last chapter and tries to run backward through the chapters. I find I have to unlock the phone and start the next chapter for each one to have then play in the correct order. Since I work in construction often as a painter this is aggravating as I have to clean up and set up the next chapter manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default j3m electical contacts

I just tested on my nexus one headset and I'm getting 3 distinct signals for next/prev/playpause. There are four electrical contacts on my nexus one headset, but if your headset looks like this, then having just 3 may be the reason that the only signal the android is receiving is playpause (that's just one signal).

Amazon.com: JBuds J3M Micro Atomic In-Ear Earphones with Microphone (Jet Black, iPhone Compatible)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MB200 View Post
Hi Eric. I just did a number of tests of the headset button on my motorola cliq, and sent you the logs, and a followup explanatory note as to my test procedure, as you requested.

In net, the behavior I saw seems to be just a simple toggle on the playback, from the play state to the stopped state, and vice versa, with each press of the headset button.

I look forward to learning what you learn from the logs.
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eric.doggcatcher For This Useful Post:
MB200 (February 26th, 2010)
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Jbud J3M electrical contacts

First off, thanks very much for working on this Eric, looking over my logs, etc. I really appreciate it.

Second, the picture that shows at the Amazon link below for JBuds J3M is strange. IT definitely has only three electrical contacts on the plug (I assume this is a TRS then). However, MY Jbuds J3M's have four electrical contacts (thus, I presume it is a TRRS jack). So that is weird. I'm guessing the Amazon ad has the wrong photo somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.doggcatcher View Post
I just tested on my nexus one headset and I'm getting 3 distinct signals for next/prev/playpause. There are four electrical contacts on my nexus one headset, but if your headset looks like this, then having just 3 may be the reason that the only signal the android is receiving is playpause (that's just one signal).

Amazon.com: JBuds J3M Micro Atomic In-Ear Earphones with Microphone (Jet Black, iPhone Compatible)
Third, regarding your earlier note (on 23 Feb), I would be happy to do any additional tests, and send you logs, if you need more data on how the J3M button interacts with Android via the button on the earbud cable.

Fourth, your idea to detect the button presses, and decode single-, double-, or triple- based on elapsed time between them seems like a good one.

Quote:
(from eric.doggcatcher on 23 Feb 2010)
Still looking at it At first glance it's seems that your headset is sending the same signal to android, regardless of how you press the button (single/dbl/triple), so I don't understand how the documentation you have matches what I am seeing.

I have a wired headset that came with my nexus one that has next/prev buttons on it. I need to do some more testing to see how the events the my headset is sending differs from yours.

From your logs, it looks like the only way that a device could do a prev/next is to interpret the delay between the button presses. I'm not sure about this but this is yet, but I'll know more once I compare to my headset.
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hello,

First let me thank MB200 for giving me a call this morning and letting me know about this discussion. My name is Matt, and I am the Brand Ambassador for JLab Audio. It was brought to our attention that there is an error in the photo of the J3M jack on Amazon's website. This was an oversight on our end and we do appreciate it being brought to our attention.

The J3M does have a TRRS connector, the picture on Amazon is incorrect. The picture on Amazon is the J3 jack with the mic added in. We are working on getting a correct image and will be submitting it to Amazon soon.

Again, thank you for pointing out this error, and please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Warm Regards,
Matt
Team JLab
JLab Audio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Amazon J3M ad photo has been fixed

Good work JLab Audio! I just clicked the Amazon link again and see they now have the correct photo.

Eric -- what do you think about the idea of DoggCatcher software receiving those button clicks (1, 2 or 3 quick presses, or maybe a long press if that is detectable) and then doing some user-configurable action with that input? Let me know if you want any test logs captured on my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLab Audio View Post
Hello,

First let me thank MB200 for giving me a call this morning and letting me know about this discussion. My name is Matt, and I am the Brand Ambassador for JLab Audio. It was brought to our attention that there is an error in the photo of the J3M jack on Amazon's website. This was an oversight on our end and we do appreciate it being brought to our attention.

The J3M does have a TRRS connector, the picture on Amazon is incorrect. The picture on Amazon is the J3 jack with the mic added in. We are working on getting a correct image and will be submitting it to Amazon soon.

Again, thank you for pointing out this error, and please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Warm Regards,
Matt
Team JLab
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 107
 
Device(s): gNex LS 1.4 Franco r162 Kernal, Droid X, LG Vortex, Moto OG Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

one thing that really drives me crazy is when i am searching for podcasts, in the most popular or recommended, and when i try to page down i almost always add a feed. need a confirmation pop up when adding feed, i think, when browsing the feed lists.

also would love to be able to move items up and down in the listening queue.
jbarrett020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Add confirmation

Which version are you running? Older versions added the feed when you pressed on the row but for a while now, there's a separate button to add the feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett020 View Post
one thing that really drives me crazy is when i am searching for podcasts, in the most popular or recommended, and when i try to page down i almost always add a feed. need a confirmation pop up when adding feed, i think, when browsing the feed lists.

also would love to be able to move items up and down in the listening queue.
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default JLab Audio

The good folks over at JLab Audio have generously sent me a complimentary headset. It's on its way now, I'll report back once it arrives and I get a chance to experiment with it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB200 View Post
Good work JLab Audio! I just clicked the Amazon link again and see they now have the correct photo.

Eric -- what do you think about the idea of DoggCatcher software receiving those button clicks (1, 2 or 3 quick presses, or maybe a long press if that is detectable) and then doing some user-configurable action with that input? Let me know if you want any test logs captured on my end.
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

That's great Eric. Then I'm sure I won't need to collect any logs for you.

Let me know what you find out when you test the one JLab is sending your way, and then let me know what you think about my idea of DC potentially detecting several variations of button-presses from that input device and DC allowing user-configurable actions for each of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.doggcatcher View Post
The good folks over at JLab Audio have generously sent me a complimentary headset. It's on its way now, I'll report back once it arrives and I get a chance to experiment with it a bit.
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Jlab Audio J3M earbud headset

Hi Eric. Did you ever get a chance to test the Jlab Audio J3M earbud headset to see how the cord switch operation is picked up by Android, and by extension, how DoggCatcher can use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.doggcatcher View Post
The good folks over at JLab Audio have generously sent me a complimentary headset. It's on its way now, I'll report back once it arrives and I get a chance to experiment with it a bit.
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default RSS Article Options: "Share" & "Hide Read"

First off, I just picked up DoggCatcher before the weekend and have been loading up my feeds and tinkering with it on my Motorola Droid for the last few days. Overall I'm pretty pleased and think it's a great app. Solid work!

That said, I have a few small gripes/suggestions...

Having used FeedR for the last few months I immediately noticed some features missing from DC. I hope that these are easy to add, because they would surely make DC as perfect as any app could be. If these are already features and I'm being daft, please excuse me- as I said I've only been using the apps for a couple of days.

*Share Articles

FeedR has a "share" button that allows you to quickly send an article to your Facebook page, Twitter feed, via SMS, or Email. I find this very useful for sharing news I think my friends would be interested in.


*Hide Read Articles

FeedR gives you the option to "hide" any articles you've already read. The green/blue colour coding DC uses for read vs unread is nice, but some of my feeds post 30-40 articles a day. I want to leave the feed set to "capture" all of them, but once I've read an article I'd prefer that they disappear to reduce clutter. If you add this feature I'd also ask that you include the "star" feature of FeedR, which allows you to flag individual articles as exempt from hiding.


Again, thanks for creating a great podcatcher!
amozarte is offline  
Last edited by amozarte; April 6th, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default J3m

I did look into this. The android framework is only detecting the button presses as play/pause. Even when I press the buttons repeatedly quickly or hold them down for a while, it looks the same to android. The other headset I tested (nexus one) was detected as distinct events (play/pause, next, prev).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB200 View Post
Hi Eric. Did you ever get a chance to test the Jlab Audio J3M earbud headset to see how the cord switch operation is picked up by Android, and by extension, how DoggCatcher can use it?
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Good suggestions

Thank for posting your suggestions. I do have issues for both of these (below).

For the hiding of done items, is this something you would want to set globally for all feeds or something specific to a feed. I was thinking that it was feed specific but I just want to see what you think makes the most sense.

0000387: Hide done items - Mantis
0000181: Ability to share items - Mantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by amozarte View Post
First off, I just picked up DoggCatcher before the weekend and have been loading up my feeds and tinkering with it on my Motorola Droid for the last few days. Overall I'm pretty pleased and think it's a great app. Solid work!

That said, I have a few small gripes/suggestions...

Having used FeedR for the last few months I immediately noticed some features missing from DC. I hope that these are easy to add, because they would surely make DC as perfect as any app could be. If these are already features and I'm being daft, please excuse me- as I said I've only been using the apps for a couple of days.

*Share Articles

FeedR has a "share" button that allows you to quickly send an article to your Facebook page, Twitter feed, via SMS, or Email. I find this very useful for sharing news I think my friends would be interested in.


*Hide Read Articles

FeedR gives you the option to "hide" any articles you've already read. The green/blue colour coding DC uses for read vs unread is nice, but some of my feeds post 30-40 articles a day. I want to leave the feed set to "capture" all of them, but once I've read an article I'd prefer that they disappear to reduce clutter. If you add this feature I'd also ask that you include the "star" feature of FeedR, which allows you to flag individual articles as exempt from hiding.


Again, thanks for creating a great podcatcher!
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Jlab Audio J3M earbud headset

Thanks very much Eric for looking into this. I will contact the good folks at Jlab and see if they know why the difference in detection by Android between their headset and the Nexus One headset you tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.doggcatcher View Post
I did look into this. The android framework is only detecting the button presses as play/pause. Even when I press the buttons repeatedly quickly or hold them down for a while, it looks the same to android. The other headset I tested (nexus one) was detected as distinct events (play/pause, next, prev).
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Both of these are fixed in the release after next

I've just fixed both of these. They will be included in the release after next.

For the first issue, I created a preference to configure whether it jumps to the oldest item or not.
For the second, there was no good reason for this, it's a bug. It now returns to the position of the item that you viewed last...so if you arrow up a bunch while viewing news items, when you press back, the list will jump to the one you last viewed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtvshow View Post
I love this app and just recently promoted it to my home screen apps, as I pull it up many times daily. My biggest problem with it right now is that after one of the more recent updates (last month or two), when I go to open a feed, the screen jumps to the bottom of the feed and then I have to scroll up to the top of the feed to check out the newest stuff. What's worse is when you read an article and go back, it's back at the bottom again, which is particularly annoying if you have a lot of items set to load by default. I assume this was done for a reason, but I don't really know why. My request is that we have the option to choose whether the display position of a feed starts at the top (or bottom) of the list and that the app remembers our screen position when we go back.
eric.doggcatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Jlab Audio J3M earbud headset -- switch function

Eric -- I have contacted JLab to ask them to look into why the switch functions so differently between the J3M and the Nexus One headset you tested. More specifically, why does Android interpret the Nexus One with more levels of function than the J3M?
MB200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the US mountain west.
Posts: 62
 
Device(s): Motorola Cliq
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Jlab Audio J3M vs. NexusOne headset -- switch function

I got the following info from Eric at DoggCatcher recently. Thought I should put it into the forum so others can benefit from it as well.

Eric: "Yep, they [(the J3M and the Nexus One headsets tested by DoggCatcher labs)] are both using the same [TRRS] connector, but the signal that is detected by the android device is play/pause regardless of how long or how many times you press the button on the jlabs. My guess is that the same electrical signal is transmitted each time you press the button (and no matter how you press it).

"With the nexus one headset, the device detects unique types of button presses depending on whether play/pause, rew, ff is pressed. That headset must transmit unique signals depending on which button is pressed."
MB200 is offline  
Last edited by MB200; May 25th, 2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: grammar fix
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
doggcatcher, feature request


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.