Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 6th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 54
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Google Latitude finding VERY wrong location

Ever since the RC33 update where the new Maps version came out with Latitude included....my Latitude acct has been...well...off.

I'm running my GPS when Maps is used...rather than a triangulation method w/ the towers. However...there have been QUITE a few occurances where Latitude shows me in a totally different STATE. I live in metro Atlanta, but apparently, I spend a lot of time at a country club near DFW in Texas. Once, I was going down the road...started up Maps, and it was tracing me going up an interstate in a city 120 miles away from me. At the time, I was no where NEAR an interstate...but Maps was showing my movement second by second.

This is rather irritating. Google developed the O/S, they developed Latitude...yet Latitude seems to work fine on other phones OTHER than the G1. Upon reading up on Google's Help Forums...I'm not the only one with problems when it comes to Latitude and Android.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I mean in terms of Latitude showing you're in a place FAR from where you actually are?

cNo7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Palo Alto

Sometimes I will log in and my phone will be sitting right next to me in Elk Grove, CA, but Latitude shows me in Palo Alto, CA. A refresh usually puts it back in the right spot. I'm not sure why it does that -- I haven't been to Palo Alto in over 5 years.
E-Doo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If I am ever on the run from the law, my first step will be to turn on Latitude. No one will ever find me!
jaymzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymzz View Post
If I am ever on the run from the law, my first step will be to turn on Latitude. No one will ever find me!


It would be really cool if there was an app that did that intentionally.... have the same issue thinks I'm somewhere I'm not half the time...... The only good thing is I almost never use it so doesn't bother me to much......
noonehereyet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 54
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Doo View Post
Sometimes I will log in and my phone will be sitting right next to me in Elk Grove, CA, but Latitude shows me in Palo Alto, CA. A refresh usually puts it back in the right spot. I'm not sure why it does that -- I haven't been to Palo Alto in over 5 years.
well, google *is* headquartered in Mountain View...

I've noticed when I start up igoogle.com from the desktop PC, it shows the palo alto area for a few seconds and then goes back to my last known location in Latitude.
cNo7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kabbie_mcfeely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 549
 
Device(s): Android G1 CyanogenMod 4.2.6
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

1. Turn on GPS (OP stated they had done this) and let the GPS work for a couple of minutes. If you have not used your GPS for a while, or at all, it will take a few minutes for your GPS to "link-up" with the satellites. This is something all forms of GPS have to go through.

2. Latitude, in my understanding (http://www.google.com/mobile/default/latitude.html)
is for people to find you. Not you to find yourself. You can just use the normal Google Maps to find your own location. If using My Google Maps, you can also add stuff to the map.

3. There is a help page for Latitude if you need it. http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/topic.py?topic=19501

4. There is even a "Known Issue" page. http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139588&topic=20070
kabbie_mcfeely is offline  
Last edited by kabbie_mcfeely; March 7th, 2009 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 54
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbie_mcfeely View Post
1. Turn on GPS (OP stated they had done this) and let the GPS work for a couple of minutes. If you have not used your GPS for a while, or at all, it will take a few minutes for your GPS to "link-up" with the satellites. This is something all forms of GPS have to go through.

2. Latitude, in my understanding (http://www.google.com/mobile/default/latitude.html)
is for people to find you. Not you to find yourself. You can just use the normal Google Maps to find your own location. If using My Google Maps, you can also add stuff to the map.

3. There is a help page for Latitude if you need it. http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/topic.py?topic=19501

4. There is even a "Known Issue" page. http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139588&topic=20070

1. I'm quite aware that GPS devices need to align with satellites and I already pointed out that I had GPS enabled on my phone rather than dealing with triangulation of towers.

2. My friends are the ones who pointed out that I was showing up states away from where I actually was....even when we're all checking Latitude standing side by side.

3. Been there, done that...they don't respond promptly.

4. This doesn't happen while connected to a wifi network exclusively.
cNo7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kabbie_mcfeely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 549
 
Device(s): Android G1 CyanogenMod 4.2.6
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cNo7 View Post
1. I'm quite aware that GPS devices need to align with satellites and I already pointed out that I had GPS enabled on my phone rather than dealing with triangulation of towers.

2. My friends are the ones who pointed out that I was showing up states away from where I actually was....even when we're all checking Latitude standing side by side.

3. Been there, done that...they don't respond promptly.

4. This doesn't happen while connected to a wifi network exclusively.
I stated that you had done that already. Just trying to help with people that didnt know the correct way to use GPS.

I use Pintail myself and it has been right every time I have used it.
kabbie_mcfeely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Latitude used to work GREAT!!! Since this latest update my droid and my friend's Droid X are no longer accurate as far as locating our other friends and family. I have noticed that 1 minute the location is off by only a few blocks and the next minute it's off by over 20 miles. Other times it's accurate within approximately 100-200 feet. The other problem I noticed is that even though my family has their phones set to best location they appear to go stale for several hours to a day or 2; this has also happened to my friend's Droid X. We are both performed resets on the phones and family members as well as signing out and back into Latitude. This latest update is bug ridden I miss the previous version. It worked great.
troyk9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: A farm in MN
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My husband and I like to check out what crazy places it puts us. We can be in the same room and it will show him miles away or show me out in a field somewhere. Last night it showed him in someone's back yard in MO, he was in IL (he's a truck driver) pretty tricky getting that big rig into someone's back yard LOL I think when it can't find you it puts you at the nearest cell tower or the last one you were bouncing off of. Just a thought.
Pixiefrogw is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My daughter doesn't know it's even on her phone it was great watching her safely drive to a concert 30 minutes away but after she arrived it showed her in Texas and we live n south Florida lol
troyk9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sodom & Gomorra
Posts: 315
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk9 View Post
My daughter doesn't know it's even on her phone it was great watching her safely drive to a concert 30 minutes away but after she arrived it showed her in Texas and we live n south Florida lol
Install free MyLookout on her phone. It shows you her (correct) whereabouts, in realtime, in any web browser.
Copleo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sodom & Gomorra
Posts: 315
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymzz
If I am ever on the run from the law, my first step will be to turn on Latitude. No one will ever find me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonehereyet View Post
It would be really cool if there was an app that did that intentionally....
There IS an app that does that intentionally. It's called 'My Fake Location', and it's free.

I've programmed it to show me on safari in South Africa...
Copleo is offline  
Last edited by Copleo; February 4th, 2011 at 07:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,038
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,088
Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default

If you are having difficulty getting, and maintaining, a GPS fix then give this a go:-

GPS Fix For CyanogenMod 6 On The Nexus One | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

It works on un-modded phones as well.

Another, free, app that helps is GPS Test from the Market.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Did you know that hitting the Thanks button is quicker than typing it and the Search button is your friend.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,354
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 286 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk9 View Post
Latitude used to work GREAT!!! Since this latest update my droid and my friend's Droid X are no longer accurate as far as locating our other friends and family. I have noticed that 1 minute the location is off by only a few blocks and the next minute it's off by over 20 miles. Other times it's accurate within approximately 100-200 feet.
Sounds like it's just using whatever method of locating you happens to be available at the time and the GPS isn't always available (or unable to get a fix) for whatever reason.

GPS Status has a feature to clear the aGPS cache which has always helped when my Droid's GPS receiver is unable to obtain a fix.
takeshi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,710
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,969
Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,800 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Google Maps location is only as accurate as whatever you're using. When I use GPS on my phone, it's spot on, as I would expect. However when I use Wi-Fi from my router, it puts me as been at the Metropark Hotel, Kowloon, Hong Kong, the other end of the country. I bought the router in HK, and first used it when I was staying at that hotel last year.
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; February 17th, 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 305
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Default

I don't think this issue has anything to do with accuracy. Accuracy will obviously vary, but clearly something else is going when it shows you half way across the country. My wife's frequently shows as being in California or Chicago when we are in NY. This has never happened with me to my knowledge (at least nobody has ever noticed it).

So the question is, what exactly IS happening when it does this? We're not talking about an inaccurate triangulation here, it's obviously using some other method entirely.
jfunk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.