Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 30th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 20
 
Device(s): HTC Inspire 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default need a true word program with spell check

Is there a dictionary that can be used with Office Pro and or Docs to Go? I have them both on my HTC Inspire but can not seem to find spell check for either one. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Advertisements
lilme08 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default love my Xoom but need a true word processing program

I bought my Xoom to replace a laptop I used for college; however, I have since found out that there is no true word processor with grammar check and spell check etc... Does anyone know of one. I realize the keyboard suggests but it is not the same.
trt740 is offline  
Last edited by trt740; December 4th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The ipad2 does it so certainly a Xoom can. I don't want a Ipad since I own a Android phone and have alot of apps I don't wish to re-buy. Heck my old Palm Treo could do it. I hate to buy a Ipad but I might have to since I need a lighter solution than a laptop and don't want a netbook. The newer high end tablets are being marketed as laptop suppliments and without a true word processor they just won't cut it.
trt740 is offline  
Last edited by NightAngel79; December 10th, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ari-free's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,501
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S 5 was: my Touch 4G slide
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 155 Times in 119 Posts
Default

********* is working on it
ari-free is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is soft maker a company
trt740 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ari-free's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,501
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S 5 was: my Touch 4G slide
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 155 Times in 119 Posts
Default

********* : Homepage
ari-free is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ari-free's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,501
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S 5 was: my Touch 4G slide
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 155 Times in 119 Posts
Default

Ask to see if you can be on their beta program
*********.com • View topic - beta test Android
ari-free is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 161
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
and there is zero reason to not have a decent fully functioning word processor.
No technical reason maybe (except for a shitty un-tactile on-screen keyboard). But perhaps a marketing reason. Or a price reason.

Quote:
The ipad2 does it so certainly a Xoom can. I don't want a Ipad since I own a Android phone and have alot of apps I don't wish to re-buy. Heck my old Palm Treo could do it. I hate to buy a Ipad but I might have to since I need a lighter solution than a laptop and don't want a netbook. The newer high end tablets are being marketed as laptop suppliments and without a true word processor they just won't cut it.
A supplement is not a replacement, my friend. It is an add-on at most.

But hey, if the iPad does what you want while Android doesn't, go for the iPad!

But maybe you want too much.

Have you tried running your own wordprocessor, on your laptop or desktop, remotely on your Xoom with free Teamviewer yet? Maybe that's all you need.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.teamviewer.teamviewer.market.mobile &feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS50 ZWFtdmlld2VyLnRlYW12aWV3ZXIubWFya2V0Lm1vYmlsZSJd.
Rovers is offline  
Last edited by NightAngel79; December 10th, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,800
 
Device(s): Samsung GS 4, Motorola Backflip; Motorola Atrix 4G and Lapdock
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 58
Thanked 253 Times in 232 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trt740 View Post
I bought my Xoom to replace a laptop I used for college; however, I have since found out that there is no true word processor with grammar check and spell check etc... Does anyone know of one. I realize the keyboard suggests but it is not the same.
Have you tried "Documents ToGo" and "QuickOffice Pro"?
itsallgood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Doctor
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,608
 
Device(s): Note 3 LTE (N7105), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), , Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Globe Philippines

Thanks: 181
Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trt740 View Post
Your annology is not very good hammer verse screwdriver most new tablets like the Xoom are comperable to 4 year old laptops and there is zero reason to not have a decent fully functioning word processor. The ipad2 does it so certainly a Xoom can. I don't want a Ipad since I own a Android phone and have alot of apps I don't wish to re-buy. Heck my old Palm Treo could do it. I hate to buy a Ipad but I might have to since I need a lighter solution than a laptop and don't want a netbook. The newer high end tablets are being marketed as laptop suppliments and without a true word processor they just won't cut it.
-My friends use an iPad, and no they also dont have a MS Word level of word processor capabilities. At least they havent found an app that compared.

- Actually they are not comparable to 4 year old laptops. A 4 year old 1Ghz x86 dual core chip is faster and better than a 1Ghz dual core ARM chips found on tablets.
__________________
https://shared.com?ref=51950 100GB free storage. WOW.

Worried about your health? Take the True Health Assessment now! Click HERE
chanchan05 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 6th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 83
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I was a little frustrated with this too until i found splashtop remote viewer. it makes it very simple to access my home desktop from my tablet & I can use my word from the home computer right on my tablet.
TulsaTime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovers View Post
No. 4 Year old laptops were conceived to run full-fledged word processors as well. Tablets weren't.



No technical reason maybe (except for a shitty un-tactile on-screen keyboard). But perhaps a marketing reason. Or a price reason.



A supplement is not a replacement, my friend. It is an add-on at most.

But hey, if the iPad does what you want while Android doesn't, go for the iPad!

But maybe you want too much.

Have you tried running your own wordprocessor, on your laptop or desktop, remotely on your Xoom with free Teamviewer yet? Maybe that's all you need.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.teamviewer.teamviewer.market.mobile &feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS50 ZWFtdmlld2VyLnRlYW12aWV3ZXIubWFya2V0Lm1vYmlsZSJd.




No reason to get upset because your simply not correct. These tablets are being marketed as laptop replacements and do have fulfledged USB keyboards. For light travel and web surfing I would not use the external keyboard but to type my papers I would. I also stated why I did not buy a I pad.
trt740 is offline  
Last edited by trt740; December 6th, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanchan05 View Post
-My friends use an iPad, and no they also dont have a MS Word level of word processor capabilities. At least they havent found an app that compared.

- Actually they are not comparable to 4 year old laptops. A 4 year old 1Ghz x86 dual core chip is faster and better than a 1Ghz dual core ARM chips found on tablets.
Okay lets not get crazy with the comparison here. Lets stay on topic. These tablets most certainly could easily handle word processing. The I pad with Word to Go and it's built in pad spell checking program most certainly is a competent full fledged word processing program.
trt740 is offline  
Last edited by Slug; December 6th, 2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 45
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Marketing and reality, as many people have seen, can be quite different.

Sure, tablets are being marketed as potential laptop replacements. Potential. Certain people have found that tablets can function for some things very well and poorly for others.

Did you get in on the full office suites on Amazon's Free App of the Day? They've offered three different office suites this way. I've yet to have a need for them and haven't tried so I can't comment further on that, but I believe Amazon is offering discounts on at least some of them currently. You may look into that further to see if one of them fits your needs.

The other possibility is to just use a text editor at school then fix it later on your laptop. It isn't ideal but it's possible if you'd prefer to take your tablet to school.
Gnoop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
tproctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pampa, Tx
Posts: 179
 
Device(s): HTC Eris w/Condemned v21; HTC Rezound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Default

You might want to try Documents to Go. I haven't really gotten too far into what all it can do, but I do like what I've been able to accomplish with it so far on my phone.
tproctor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tproctor;3591l519
You might want to try Documents to Go. I haven't really gotten too far into what all it can do, but I do like what I've been able to accomplish with it so far on my phone.

Contacted them, no spell check or grammar check. My old Treo had Documents To Go with spell check and grammar check but not the Android version
trt740 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Doctor
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,608
 
Device(s): Note 3 LTE (N7105), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), , Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Globe Philippines

Thanks: 181
Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trt740 View Post
Okay lets not get crazy with the comparison here. Lets stay on topic. These tablets most certainly could easily handle word processing. The I pad with Word to Go and it's built in pad spell checking program most certainly is a competent full fledged word processing program.

I'm not sure how exactly I have strayed off topic? He asked for a full word processing program which to my knowledge also did not exist on an iPad. Even Docs to Go for iOS has features missing compared to Word. The second bit was just to address a misconception.

Anyway, have you tried Polaris? I've heard good reviews but I haven't tried it yet.
chanchan05 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
The Doctor
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,608
 
Device(s): Note 3 LTE (N7105), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), , Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Globe Philippines

Thanks: 181
Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trt740 View Post
uneducated Android users would like spell check and grammar check.
Spell check is nice, but grammar check isn't very accurate anyway. The best grammar check is still yourself. Practice and even on PC computers you'd rarely see the green squiggle anyway.

However, if there are none that suits your needs, you could contact the app developers and ask if there are plans to include such features in the next update. If they respond unfavorably, buy an iPad if you really prefer that.

Have you tried Evernote? It's supposed to be a OneNote replacement with programs for both Mac and PC as well as iOS and Android apps, they may have something.
chanchan05 is offline  
Last edited by NightAngel79; December 10th, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Francisco
Gender: Male
Posts: 364
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 10
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanchan05 View Post
I'm not sure how exactly I have strayed off topic? He asked for a full word processing program which to my knowledge also did not exist on an iPad. Even Docs to Go for iOS has features missing compared to Word. The second bit was just to address a misconception.

Anyway, have you tried Polaris? I've heard good reviews but I haven't tried it yet.
The OP asked for competent Android word processing apps that offer grammar/spell check (none exist), and nothing else. You strayed off topic by claiming iPad productivity apps don't offer MS Word capabilities (which the OP doesn't care about: he simply wants grammar/spell check. iOS productivity suites offer spell check; Android versions don 't, because of the nature of the keyboard.)

Polaris doesn't offer spell check either, and since you say you haven't tried it, it probably wasn't a good idea to suggest it............................
adaaaam is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adaaaam For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (December 10th, 2011), trt740 (December 10th, 2011)
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,104
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,773
Thanked 11,524 Times in 5,857 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

Apologies for the short interruption in service. Things should continue much more smoothly and helpfully now. Any further problem posts, please use the "Report This Post" button and we'll deal with them.

Thanks!
Slug is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slug For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (December 10th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Doctor
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,608
 
Device(s): Note 3 LTE (N7105), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), , Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Globe Philippines

Thanks: 181
Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaaaam View Post
The OP asked for competent Android word processing apps that offer grammar/spell check (none exist), and nothing else. You strayed off topic by claiming iPad productivity apps don't offer MS Word capabilities (which the OP doesn't care about: he simply wants grammar/spell check. iOS productivity suites offer spell check; Android versions don 't, because of the nature of the keyboard.)

Polaris doesn't offer spell check either, and since you say you haven't tried it, it probably wasn't a good idea to suggest it............................
I was just addressing the point where he brought up that an iPad has more word processing capabilities likelihood to a full word processor, which I simply reiterated it did not.

Furthermore, I was actually replying directly to someone's post, if you did not notice, and my reply was exactly an answer to that post.
chanchan05 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Okay I'm done, thanks to all who tried to help and to those who didn't well what can I say?
trt740 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.