Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mach1man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: woods of VA
Posts: 845
 
Device(s): Note 3 & Gear for the Big RED company
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 75 Times in 61 Posts
Default app to send other apps to sd card

I'm looking for a good app manager that will allow me to send apps to the sd card and free up some phone memory. Also need to know how to work whatever app suggested. Thanks

Advertisements
mach1man is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 24th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1man View Post
I'm looking for a good app manager that will allow me to send apps to the sd card and free up some phone memory. Also need to know how to work whatever app suggested. Thanks
Not possible yet.
__________________
OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i, BB8100, W880, N95-2, P1i, Ignito, W880, X1, MS1, MS2, TP851, XT910, GTab 10.1, SGS3, SGS4, SGNote 10.1, Nexus 7 II
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ballmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Trap Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): Droid 1, Droid 1 broken screen, Droid 1 refurb, Moto Cliq.....
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

This has been the main thing that I have been looking out fot myself. I've been posting in all of the chat rooms, etc.
I'm very surprised that no app developer has created an "Apps to S.D." app for unrooted androids.
Currently the only way to do this is to root your phone. I don't recomend this cuz' it will void any warrenties, and if you do this wrong you could brick your phone.
ballmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmore View Post
This has been the main thing that I have been looking out fot myself. I've been posting in all of the chat rooms, etc.
I'm very surprised that no app developer has created an "Apps to S.D." app for unrooted androids.
Currently the only way to do this is to root your phone. I don't recomend this cuz' it will void any warrenties, and if you do this wrong you could brick your phone.
So what do you use for this if your phone IS rooted?
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ballmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Trap Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): Droid 1, Droid 1 broken screen, Droid 1 refurb, Moto Cliq.....
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Also, depending on witch phone you have, you might get "Apps to S.D." in a later update. That is if you have a phone that is scheduled for the 2.1 update (or if you already have 2.1). It's supposed to be in an update after the 2.1 update, if that makes any since.
Google is trying to work on code that will allow us to transfer the apps while preventing us from pirating the apps. They don't want people to trade them back and forth. I understand their reasoning because of things like blapkmarket giving out free apps, but I don't understand why the rooted users can do this and no out there will make an app for nonrooted users.
Google should get there ass in gear before I finally get myself motivated to create my own "Apps to S.D." application. lol

By the way. Do you know how to clear your caches to give yourself more phone storage memory? If you have never done this before clearing your caches can give you alot of memory back. You can clear your apps caches and browser caches. The first time that I did it (no lie) I got back 90mb of storage. The browser can hold up 10-20mb easily.
ballmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikanos View Post
If it's not an app that you use a lot you can back up to SD using appmanager.
You can also keep the *.apk file on the SD and only install it when you need it, but this simply defeats the purpose of having the app if you only install it when you need it and then remove.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ballmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Trap Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): Droid 1, Droid 1 broken screen, Droid 1 refurb, Moto Cliq.....
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
So what do you use for this if your phone IS rooted?
If you are already rooted then it'll be on one of the roms the you install. Like Cyanogen(?). Not all roms will have this but if you go to the web sight of the rom that you put on your phone after you rooted then the sight will show in the specs of the rom if it has "Apps to S.D." in it. If it does then they will also have, somewhere on there page, info on how to use the "Apps to S.D." feature. Do a google search for other roms if your rom doesn't have it.
And like everyone always says on the forums: "If you don't know if your phone is rooted then your not rooted!" It's a detailed process that involves using your computer and blah, blah, blah.
ballmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmore View Post
If you are already rooted then it'll be on one of the roms the you install. Like Cyanogen(?). Not all roms will have this but if you go to the web sight of the rom that you put on your phone after you rooted then the sight will show in the specs of the rom if it has "Apps to S.D." in it. If it does then they will also have, somewhere on there page, info on how to use the "Apps to S.D." feature. Do a google search for other roms if your rom doesn't have it.
And like everyone always says on the forums: "If you don't know if your phone is rooted then your not rooted!" It's a detailed process that involves using your computer and blah, blah, blah.
Mine IS rooted cause I rooted it myself!

I am not interested in custom roms though.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shrink57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,529
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 50
Thanked 150 Times in 132 Posts
Default

There is a program called "Move Cache" for rooted phones that moves browser, market, maps, and other caches from your phone to the SD card. I had a bad experience with it screwing up my maps (as had other based on comments). You might want to give it a try (if you are rooted) but make sure you have a nandroid backup handy. YMMV
__________________
____________________________

Neil
shrink57 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink57 View Post
There is a program called "Move Cache" for rooted phones that moves browser, market, maps, and other caches from your phone to the SD card. I had a bad experience with it screwing up my maps (as had other based on comments). You might want to give it a try (if you are rooted) but make sure you have a nandroid backup handy. YMMV
I will have a look at this, but having checked the amount of free space on the phone before and after clearing all cache it does not seem that the cache takes that much space in my case. Maybe it is because I do not use it for maps and rowsing so much, but more like a business tool.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ballmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Trap Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): Droid 1, Droid 1 broken screen, Droid 1 refurb, Moto Cliq.....
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
Mine IS rooted cause I rooted it myself!

I am not interested in custom roms though.

I made the qoute about rooting for all of the readers of the thread. I wasn't trying to say that you aren't rooted. What type of phone do you have and what do you have under the hood?
ballmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmore View Post
I made the qoute about rooting for all of the readers of the thread. I wasn't trying to say that you aren't rooted. What type of phone do you have and what do you have under the hood?
Rooted Milestone with just the standard set of apps.

Some finance apps (Financisto), gps tracking (SportyPal, My Tracks) for my daily workouts, scheduling apps (SMS Scheduler, Profiles Setting), Xe.com currency converter, dictonaries.

Coming from WinMo I am still a bit disappointed with:
1. Lot of adware; I would prefer to pay for the apps and not deal with adware.
2. No possibility to freely use SD card for installing apps.
3. No real finance tracking app like SPB Finance where you can sync it etc.
4. Icons too far from one another and thus not too many fitting on one screen (I use Apps Organizer for that and saw the widget that allows you to put 4 icons in the space of one, but it is still not as configurable as I would want it to be)

I am trying to get used to it and keep thinking about Windows Phone 7 Series to discourage myself from going back to WinMo, stay with Android as I really like the Milestone hardware-wise (apart from the keyboard which is inferior to the one I had in Xperia X1)
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ballmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Trap Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): Droid 1, Droid 1 broken screen, Droid 1 refurb, Moto Cliq.....
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

[quote=Szadzik;383557]Rooted Milestone with just the standard set of apps.

When I asked about under the hood I was wondering what you rooted the phone to. Like did you do it to get everything that's on the 2.1.? I'm just wondering cuz' I have a Droid and I am trying to learn about all of the possabilities of rooting it. To me the main reason I would want to root is to have the "Apps to S.D." I'd like to hear about other people's experiences with rooting. As in what did you root for? Was it to get live wallpapers or pinch zoom? If so, how is it working out on the phone? Also do you customize everything?
ballmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ballmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Trap Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): Droid 1, Droid 1 broken screen, Droid 1 refurb, Moto Cliq.....
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Sorry to bother you again.
Why don't you want a custom rom?
Is there something that you don't like about them? Like instability or bricking?
ballmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=ballmore;383829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
Rooted Milestone with just the standard set of apps.

When I asked about under the hood I was wondering what you rooted the phone to. Like did you do it to get everything that's on the 2.1.? I'm just wondering cuz' I have a Droid and I am trying to learn about all of the possabilities of rooting it. To me the main reason I would want to root is to have the "Apps to S.D." I'd like to hear about other people's experiences with rooting. As in what did you root for? Was it to get live wallpapers or pinch zoom? If so, how is it working out on the phone? Also do you customize everything?
I rooted it for two reasons:
1. I do not like being limited by the system (old habit from WinMo).
2. Getting free and hassle-free tethering.

I do not care about live wallpapers. Pinch to zoom is present without rooting Milestone.

No issues with the process itself, 10 minutes of work including watching the tutorial.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmore View Post
Sorry to bother you again.
Why don't you want a custom rom?
Is there something that you don't like about them? Like instability or bricking?
There is nothing in those roms that is actually worth the hassle of installing them.

If they implement a real and functional apps 2 sd I will rethink my position though.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ballmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Trap Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): Droid 1, Droid 1 broken screen, Droid 1 refurb, Moto Cliq.....
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

As far as I know it is a real Apps to S.D. They even call it "appstosd" and talk about it like it's the real deal. What tutorial did you go by to root?
ballmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmore View Post
As far as I know it is a real Apps to S.D. They even call it "appstosd" and talk about it like it's the real deal. What tutorial did you go by to root?
Are you talking about roms for Droid or Milestone?

Here is the tutorial:
JKKMobile - Rooting Motorola Milestone: How and Why

Researching AppToSD now, will report tomorow what I find.
Szadzik is offline  
Last edited by Szadzik; February 25th, 2010 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 182
 
Device(s): Htc Hero (Moms now) Htc Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default

There is next to no chance of bricking your device when rooting, I used Flipz pre-Kitchen to root my CDMA Hero.

Custom ROM's speed up the phone greatly, as do custom kernals, and all this "Hassle" you talk about isn't really that hard, a couple restarts of the phone and a few clicks and it's there.


As for the topic of the thread, there is an app for rooted phones called "Apps2Sd", but I do not recommend it. The problem is, if you have all your apps on your SD card, then to take out your SD card you have to have the phone off. If not it will break the links between the app icons on the phone and the apps themselves. Some people have had problems with the app showing as already installed in the Market, but they didn't have the app installed anymore, and when they tried uninstalling the non-existent app they get error messages which wont let them do it.
Just my 2cents
Biggest Fro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Szadzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Galaxy Note 10.1 Nexus 7 2013 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 729 Times in 616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Fro View Post
There is next to no chance of bricking your device when rooting, I used Flipz pre-Kitchen to root my CDMA Hero.

Custom ROM's speed up the phone greatly, as do custom kernals, and all this "Hassle" you talk about isn't really that hard, a couple restarts of the phone and a few clicks and it's there.


As for the topic of the thread, there is an app for rooted phones called "Apps2Sd", but I do not recommend it. The problem is, if you have all your apps on your SD card, then to take out your SD card you have to have the phone off. If not it will break the links between the app icons on the phone and the apps themselves. Some people have had problems with the app showing as already installed in the Market, but they didn't have the app installed anymore, and when they tried uninstalling the non-existent app they get error messages which wont let them do it.
Just my 2cents
I think I will first wait for 2.1 and see what happens.
Szadzik is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.