April 24th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.
Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by rabiddawgs
I just dont understand that you cant have credit cards cant buy off google play. job problems in china but you have a smart phone. mind blowing to me.
cant afford food some days, cant afford internet.. but you have a smartphone.
A few points I'd like to make here:
1) Android smart phones can be quite cheap now. In fact they're becoming the norm here in China. Dumb phones are going away very rapidly.
2) In developing countries western credit cards can be rather hard to get. One has to be fairly affluent to have a western Visa or Mastercard.
3) Google Play often doesn't operate a full service in developing countries, in many it's not available at all. Free apps only in China.
4) Pre-paid wireless internet can be cheap, certainly compared to what they seem to be paying in the USA for wireless data.
5) Many people in developing countries don't own a computer. They often use internet bars. Cheap Android smart phones and tablets with pre-paid wireless internet, offers them another way of getting on the internet. So they don't have to use internet bars, which TBH can be rather disgusting places.
The People's Guide
to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; April 24th, 2012 at 07:07 AM.