Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Google Play hangs on all updates/installs

I have a stock, unrooted Photon 4G with Go Launcher EX.

Since a few days ago, most or all application updates and new app installs in Google Play will fail. They generally download, then hang forever at "Installing..." and the update never completes.

Any ideas? I'm using one brand new app that I'd really like to get updates for as it was just released and they're fixing bugs like mad. Plus, I can't install anything new.

gmev is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Sounds like your app space is full. Go to manage apps and sort by size. Delete a couple or a few of the larger apps you don't use and then try to update one at a time. If that works move some of your apps to the SD card using the option within app manager as this will free up some room.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OstrichSaK For This Useful Post:
gmev (May 17th, 2012)
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi OstrichSaK,

I hadn't thought of that, but I'm using Elixir widgets to keep an eye on my disk space. Supposedly I have 2.2GB free on 'internal storage,' 6.2GB free on /mnt/sdcard, and 3.7GB free on /mnt/sdcard-ext ... should be plenty, no?

I did try clearing app data and cache and rebooting... now it just hangs at "Downloading" forever, whether I try to update a single app or all the ones that need updates. That could be Market fail, though, I've seen the inability to download resolve itself before.
gmev is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmev View Post
I hadn't thought of that, but I'm using Elixir widgets to keep an eye on my disk space. Supposedly I have 2.2GB free on 'internal storage,' 6.2GB free on /mnt/sdcard, and 3.7GB free on /mnt/sdcard-ext ... should be plenty, no?
No. The total space available on your storage isn't indicative of allotted space for apps since it's different and doesn't just fill up your available space. It just has to do with the way things are partitioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmev View Post
I did try clearing app data and cache and rebooting... now it just hangs at "Downloading" forever, whether I try to update a single app or all the ones that need updates. That could be Market fail, though, I've seen the inability to download resolve itself before.
You really just need to follow the steps I mentioned and I have a feeling you will find that things work just fine afterwards.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ugh. I'll give it a go and see. This did all start after I downloaded a 10MB app.
gmev is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Annnnnnd the problem resolved itself in between my second-to-last and my last reply. I was charging the phone and restarted a sync that had died this morning (I use iSyncr Wifi to sync back and forth from iTunes, upload my photos and videos automagically, etc). I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but iSyncr had decided it needed to nuke and resync like a thousand songs last night.

Got it going, let it sit for an hour transferring, came back to reply to your reply just now, and went over to implement your suggestion, and Play had autoinstalled all the apps it was refusing to install before.

Maybe iSyncr Wifi was chewing up a ton of space in the app partition and thus blocking Play? I looked before all this with App 2 SD Free and it didn't say it was using a ton of space.
gmev is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmev View Post
Ugh. I'll give it a go and see. This did all start after I downloaded a 10MB app.
Why ugh? It's not that difficult and usually when someone has the symptoms that you've described this is the problem & solution. If you just installed a 10MB app just before this started then that makes perfect sense and goes along with what I've been saying.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmev View Post
Annnnnnd the problem resolved itself in between my second-to-last and my last reply. I was charging the phone and restarted a sync that had died this morning (I use iSyncr Wifi to sync back and forth from iTunes, upload my photos and videos automagically, etc). I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but iSyncr had decided it needed to nuke and resync like a thousand songs last night.

Got it going, let it sit for an hour transferring, came back to reply to your reply just now, and went over to implement your suggestion, and Play had autoinstalled all the apps it was refusing to install before.

Maybe iSyncr Wifi was chewing up a ton of space in the app partition and thus blocking Play? I looked before all this with App 2 SD Free and it didn't say it was using a ton of space.
You're using too many apps to do what you can already do w/o them. This is part of what's going to get you into trouble. From your home screen hit menu then settings->Applications->Manage applications. Now, look at the bottom of your screen and it will show you how much space you have for apps and how much is used. I usually go ALL at the top then sort by size and start from the top (largest) down to either delete, move to SD (done by clicking the app itself and then 'Move to SD') or leave where it is. This is where you start whenever you have space issues that will lead to the issues you were having. Apps are nice but just remember that the more you install the more it bogs your phone down and costs you battery life amongst other things.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OstrichSaK For This Useful Post:
gmev (May 17th, 2012)
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
it will show you how much space you have for apps and how much is used
729MB used, 2.2GB free.

I do need to clean house somewhat, my phone was wonderfully stable for about 3 weeks and I got everything arranged how I wanted it, and then it got cantankerous again.
gmev is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmev View Post
729MB used, 2.2GB free.

I do need to clean house somewhat, my phone was wonderfully stable for about 3 weeks and I got everything arranged how I wanted it, and then it got cantankerous again.
No, that's not the right one. That's why I spelled out exactly the steps you need to follow to see what your available application space is. It's different (much smaller) than your overall storage space as I've already mentioned. Don't be surprised if you have around 400MB of total space for apps which may or may not be close to full currently.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK
From your home screen hit menu then settings->Applications->Manage applications. Now, look at the bottom of your screen and it will show you how much space you have for apps and how much is used. I usually go ALL at the top then sort by size and start from the top (largest) down to either delete, move to SD (done by clicking the app itself and then 'Move to SD') or leave where it is.
This is exactly what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
No, that's not the right one. That's why I spelled out exactly the steps you need to follow to see what your available application space is. It's different (much smaller) than your overall storage space as I've already mentioned. Don't be surprised if you have around 400MB of total space for apps which may or may not be close to full currently.
I did it again just to be sure. Home > hit menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Hit All, or other tabs at the top, doesn't matter, when I look down below it's "Application Storage" "729MB used, 2.2GB free."

The Photon is a weird phone. It has a large amount of internal storage, THEN an 8GB internal flash chip mounted at /sdcard, and any actual SD card you put in (it does not ship with one) is mounted at /sdcard-ext. So, perhaps they've allocated more space than you usually see or something else is unusual.
gmev is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmev View Post
This is exactly what I did.



I did it again just to be sure. Home > hit menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Hit All, or other tabs at the top, doesn't matter, when I look down below it's "Application Storage" "729MB used, 2.2GB free."

The Photon is a weird phone. It has a large amount of internal storage, THEN an 8GB internal flash chip mounted at /sdcard, and any actual SD card you put in (it does not ship with one) is mounted at /sdcard-ext. So, perhaps they've allocated more space than you usually see or something else is unusual.
Ahh.. alright. I wasn't sure what phone you were using because that's a LOT of app space for most phones. My guess is that your app that's syncing is probably your issue then. It may lock use of that section while it's doing it's thing. I don't use anything like that so I can't say for sure. Sorry for thinking you were looking in the wrong place because the #'s you posted seemed way too high.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OstrichSaK For This Useful Post:
gmev (May 17th, 2012)
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

haha, no worries... I spent the $$$ on this phone because I'm a very heavy user and the Evo couldn't meet my needs any longer. Not enough RAM.

I have noticed that newer versions of Android are making apps like App 2 SD Free obsolete, I just kinda was using them out of habit since I'm used to them.
gmev is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmev View Post
haha, no worries... I spent the $$$ on this phone because I'm a very heavy user and the Evo couldn't meet my needs any longer. Not enough RAM.

I have noticed that newer versions of Android are making apps like App 2 SD Free obsolete, I just kinda was using them out of habit since I'm used to them.
Yeah, as much as I love my Evo 4G and as well as it meets my needs the limited RAM (512MB I think) is a big pain in my butt. I'm thinking I may go ahead and pick up the new Evo 4G LTE when they are available Friday. I messed with a One X (AT&T's version) in-store and the thing is amazing. I love the size of the display and it was SO fast and smooth. I thought I would rock the Evo 4G for years like I did the Droid but it seems as though the things I can't fix are the things that bother me the most.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
apps, bug, freeze, hang, install, market, play, problem, update


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.