Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Market Icon???

Hi everyone, sorry this will be the first noob question of many I'm sure, but bare with me I'm a quick learner.

I can not see a Market Icon on my HTC Dream? Can anyone help please.

Thank you

Advertisements
DDV is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDV View Post
Hi everyone, sorry this will be the first noob question of many I'm sure, but bare with me I'm a quick learner.

I can not see a Market Icon on my HTC Dream? Can anyone help please.

Thank you
Touch the tab at the bottom of the screen ....
this will open up a tray of all of the installed apps ....
scroll to the app you want to run and touch it ... app will run....

If you long-press and hold and drag the item you can drag it and drop it onto your desktop for quick access ....

I have attached a screen shot of my desktop and you can see some to the various items i placed on my desktop ... These are not the stock ICONs as i have a desktop app "aHome" installed with a theme call "Star" ....

My Desktop ..


There are so many way to customise your look of the phone to make it yours .... aHome is not the only HOME app on the Market ... "Open Home" , "Sweeter Home", dxTop ??? are a few that come to mind ..
__________________
Help Us: Submit FAQ's You have answered over and over! Will add them to OUR FAQ LIB. Check out our FAQ's.... Also Check out our Tag Search. \\\ Running 2 G1's & a MT3G, Vibrant(rooted), Galaxy S: <<< OLD New >>> JUST Samsung S3-32GB & LG GSlate Tablet /// Link for --> G1 Dream ROOT GUIDE ///// Link for --> UN-ROOT GUIDE
.
justjimjpc is offline  
Last edited by justjimjpc; June 13th, 2009 at 06:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,013
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 78 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDV View Post
Hi everyone, sorry this will be the first noob question of many I'm sure, but bare with me I'm a quick learner.

I can not see a Market Icon on my HTC Dream? Can anyone help please.

Thank you
Open the app drawer. You're looking for an icon that's a white bag with a green android on it labeled "Market".
punkzanyj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you, but there is no icon for the Android Market, I have opened the menu slider, and it also does not show in my "manage applications". Is there a way I can manually add this application (and yes, I am assuming its a application and not just a shortcut to a webpage?)

Thank you.
DDV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDV View Post
Thank you, but there is no icon for the Android Market, I have opened the menu slider, and it also does not show in my "manage applications". Is there a way I can manually add this application (and yes, I am assuming its a application and not just a shortcut to a webpage?)

Thank you.

if you do not have market than something is seriously wrong.... it is one of the core apps of any build....
noonehereyet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes it's a bit of a pain at the moment. If someone could tell me how, I will gladly supply a screenshot of the menu. If I open the menu slide I have the following Icons, Alarm Clock, Browser, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Contacts, Dialer, Email, Gmail, IM, Maps, Messaging, Music, Pictures, Settings, Sim Toolkit, YouTube.... and thats it.

Thank you so far, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
DDV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDV View Post
Yes it's a bit of a pain at the moment. If someone could tell me how, I will gladly supply a screenshot of the menu. If I open the menu slide I have the following Icons, Alarm Clock, Browser, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Contacts, Dialer, Email, Gmail, IM, Maps, Messaging, Music, Pictures, Settings, Sim Toolkit, YouTube.... and thats it.

Thank you so far, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

where did you get the phone and please supply the build info so that we can figure out what's wrong...
noonehereyet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you, here goes,

Model number: HTC Dream

Firmware version: 1.1

Baseband version: 62.41s.20.13u_2.22.16.19

Kernel version: 2.6.25-b062f65f
herbert@and18-2#19

Build number:1.58.421.1 PLAT-1.0_gms-144337 CL#20538 release-keys

Thank you for helping, its a real pain not to be able to load all the cool stuff, if I can't then there really is no point to this phone.....it sucks to say it but a MS OS is looking pretty good right now..ha ha

EDIT: Sorry the phone is from MTN South Africa
DDV is offline  
Last edited by DDV; June 14th, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDV View Post
Thank you, here goes,

Model number: HTC Dream

Firmware version: 1.1

Baseband version: 62.41s.20.13u_2.22.16.19

Kernel version: 2.6.25-b062f65f
herbert@and18-2#19

Build number:1.58.421.1 PLAT-1.0_gms-144337 CL#20538 release-keys

Thank you for helping, its a real pain not to be able to load all the cool stuff, if I can't then there really is no point to this phone.....it sucks to say it but a MS OS is looking pretty good right now..ha ha

EDIT: Sorry the phone is from MTN South Africa

ok so you are on a us build and an old one at that... current version is 1.5 i would install this http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/signed-kila-ota-148830.de6a94ca.zip ...this is the upgrade.... to install download the file to your computer then rename it to update.zip copy the update file to your sd card. then reboot or power off your phone and restart it holding down the home and end call buttons.... it will bring you to the recovery screen. once there hit alt+l to view text if there is none on the screen and then hit alt+s to install the update... when the update finishes hit home + back buttons to reboot and that should do the trick but i can't guarantee it....
noonehereyet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok, thank you, luckily I like playing with things like this, otherwise I would have definitely told them to stick this phone where the sun don't shine, ha ha. You have been a great help, I'm just concerned that if I brick the device that my SP will not replace or repair it under the terms of their guarantee...what (if at all possible to say) would be the chances of me totally stuffing this up and bricking it? And don't worry I fully understand and agree that the responsebility is all mine, I really appreciate the support from you guys.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, will doing this constitute rooting the device?
DDV is offline  
Last edited by DDV; June 14th, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDV View Post
Ok, thank you, luckily I like playing with things like this, otherwise I would have definitely told them to stick this phone where the sun don't shine, ha ha. You have been a great help, I'm just concerned that if I brick the device that my SP will not replace or repair it under the terms of their guarantee...what (if at all possible to say) would be the chances of me totally stuffing this up and bricking it? And don't worry I fully understand and agree that the responsebility is all mine, I really appreciate the support from you guys.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, will doing this constitute rooting the device?
ok, no, this is not rooting, this is simply manually installing the US OTA build on your phone, a legitimate copy from google/tmobile... and i have never heard of anyone bricking their device by installing the official release... as for voiding warrenty installing factory/carrier provided software will not void it....
noonehereyet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok thank you. I'm having a bit of trouble installing the update, reading all the posts, so I know I'm doing it right. Tried another sd card, still the same error, going to format it fat32 now to see if it makes a difference.

Thank you again for all the help so far.

EDIT: Getting the following errors

Right on top: E:Can't open /cache/recovery/comand

then: E:No signature (413 files)
E: Verification failed
Installation aborted
DDV is offline  
Last edited by DDV; June 14th, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDV View Post
Ok thank you. I'm having a bit of trouble installing the update, reading all the posts, so I know I'm doing it right. Tried another sd card, still the same error, going to format it fat32 now to see if it makes a difference.

Thank you again for all the help so far.

just so you know a common mistake if using windows is to rename the file update.zip which in windows translates to update.zip.zip so if using windows do not add the .zip to the end of the file... and keep us posted as to whats going on...
noonehereyet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

yea, thanks I got that from the other posts. I unticked the hide extensions box in my explorer view just to make sure. So the file is only update.zip
DDV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My apologies for the double post.

Does it matter what the sd card label is? does it look for any type of naming convention? currently its just blank.

Thank you
DDV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDV View Post
My apologies for the double post.

Does it matter what the sd card label is? does it look for any type of naming convention? currently its just blank.

Thank you

no label of the sd is no issue... just make sure that your sd is fat32 and your file has been renamed to update.zip that's it....
noonehereyet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No joy. I'll get a new sd card later today and try again. I downloaded 2 different update files, still the same.

Thank you for the assistance noonehereyet it is much appreciated, I will keep you posted, I have also sent my SP a..hmmm.. strongly worded e-mail regarding this, I don't understand why they would think just because we live in Africa we would not notice one of the key elements of this OS is missing...oh well, thanks again.


EDIT: Ok got a new 4gb sd card, still no joy same error.
DDV is offline  
Last edited by DDV; June 15th, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDV View Post
No joy. I'll get a new sd card later today and try again. I downloaded 2 different update files, still the same.

Thank you for the assistance noonehereyet it is much appreciated, I will keep you posted, I have also sent my SP a..hmmm.. strongly worded e-mail regarding this, I don't understand why they would think just because we live in Africa we would not notice one of the key elements of this OS is missing...oh well, thanks again.


EDIT: Ok got a new 4gb sd card, still no joy same error.

Not sure what to tell you man.... doing the legit update.zip should restore the missing apps and run on any stock build.... Hard to say what else it could be without holding the phone in my hands.... just keep me posted and if i come up with anything else i'll let you know....
noonehereyet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks man, do you perhaps know what it means by "no signature"? Is there perhaps a different .zip file I can try? I have downloaded some of the other files, but I see the file sizes and number of files are different. Is there an earlier upgrade I can try, perhaps I should upgrade systematicaly one build to the other, could it be that trying to go from 1.0 directly to 1.5 is part of the problem? Sorry if I'm talking BS just trying to get my head around the problem.

Thanks again for all your help!

EDIT: Oh one more thing please, where in my build number can I see what RC?? build it is? Plesae see post #8, thank you.
DDV is offline  
Last edited by DDV; June 16th, 2009 at 03:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Im having the same problem, also bought mine from MTN. have tried many to builds I cant even get to root the phone, th DREAING.nbh is not working, it says signature incorrect. I even tried getting a goldcard for the sd card. which I did, but when I flash the sd card with the gold card, the sd card ends up requiring a reformat.
iibad is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDV View Post
Thanks man, do you perhaps know what it means by "no signature"? Is there perhaps a different .zip file I can try? I have downloaded some of the other files, but I see the file sizes and number of files are different. Is there an earlier upgrade I can try, perhaps I should upgrade systematicaly one build to the other, could it be that trying to go from 1.0 directly to 1.5 is part of the problem? Sorry if I'm talking BS just trying to get my head around the problem.

Thanks again for all your help!

EDIT: Oh one more thing please, where in my build number can I see what RC?? build it is? Plesae see post #8, thank you.

here is the US OTA release of the build i beleive you are on http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/signed-PLAT-RC33-from-RC30.zip and your build number should be at the bottom of the same screen you posted your firmware info on... in the US 1.1 firmware =RC33
noonehereyet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
DDV
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks, I have now thrown everything at this thing, the next step is to actually throw the phone at someone. So if I'm on RC33..isn't that the latest build?

Edit: same problem, "no signature (170 files)"
" Verification failed"

Is it possible that our version of Radio is incorrect for these updates? If so, can we change it?
DDV is offline  
Last edited by DDV; June 17th, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Howdi

Another South African here

Has anyone got anywhere further with this? I've tried both files posted by noonehereyet:

signed-kila-ota-148830.de6a94ca.zip
signed-PLAT-RC33-from-RC30.zip

and for both of them I get:

Installing from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:No signature (413 files)
E:Verification failed
Installation aborted.

Without the market (yes, my phone also doesn't have it), this phone's really not that special

Thanks man!
clone137 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

oh, btw, this will be of more use to other South African MTN users. You can use OpenMarket from Leaf @ http://www.leaf.co.za/openmarket/

It's by NO means a replacement for AndroidMarket, but it's just about all we've got for now
clone137 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.