Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 30th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
michaelbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Allwinner A13 1GHz Android 4.0.4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default cell tracking apps questions

I had a Sensation XE and lost it last week. I'm wondering if there's anyway that can track lost cell. I saw some postings that there are some paid apps that allows you to track it, here are my questions:
1) thoses apps that track the cell phone will still work if whoever found it do a factory restore with the cell?
2) are those apps smart enough to overcome factory restore when installed? In other words, even after a factory restore, the tracking apps will still work?
3) are those tracking apps can work in any country? In other words, the cell service provider need to offer or acknowledge this apps for me to use it in my country?

Thanks for your comment/suggestion
Michael

Advertisements
michaelbr is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crashdamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 2,642
 
Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile, Google Fiber Internet

Thanks: 1,922
Thanked 649 Times in 526 Posts
Default

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
__________________
Registered Linux user #266531 since 2001. Android user since v1.0.
Crashdamage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
michaelbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Allwinner A13 1GHz Android 4.0.4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
1. No
2. No
3. Yes
Thanks Crashdamage for your reply, so it seems to me there's no point in installing those tracking apps, unless whoever lost the cell uses the tracking apps before factory restore is installed.

Thanks for your comment
Michael
michaelbr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): Droid X, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbr View Post
Thanks Crashdamage for your reply, so it seems to me there's no point in installing those tracking apps, unless whoever lost the cell uses the tracking apps before factory restore is installed.

Thanks for your comment
Michael
While this true, there is no reason not to install a tracking app of some type on your phone. What if your phone is simply 'lost' and not stolen? Having a tracking app will help you find it better.
__________________
My Website: GPS For Today
GPSJoe is offline  
Last edited by GPSJoe; December 6th, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: TING

Thanks: 11
Thanked 110 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Actually, if your phone is rooted Cerebrus claims that it can survive a factory reset (they say you would have to flash a new ROM to get rid of it).

That said - why is there no point? Granted of stolen phones your going to have a percentage who wipe the phone. Your also going to have a percentage who do not (by the way stolen phones are actually more valuable with data intact). Even in those that do get wipe you may have some lag time before it actually happens. Just because there is a probability the phone will be wiped, wouldn't you want to maximize you chance for recovery if it doesn't though.
fdbryant3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Colchicine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 761
 
Device(s): S4 now, HTC Rezound & Incredible then
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 283
Thanked 244 Times in 107 Posts
Default

You SHOULD have a lock on your phone (pattern, number, face, etc) so a thief can not easily do a reset in the first place.
Colchicine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: TING

Thanks: 11
Thanked 110 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colchicine View Post
You SHOULD have a lock on your phone (pattern, number, face, etc) so a thief can not easily do a reset in the first place.
You can do a factory reset from the recovery mode whether the phone is locked or not.
fdbryant3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Colchicine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 761
 
Device(s): S4 now, HTC Rezound & Incredible then
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 283
Thanked 244 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Yes, but I can guarantee that 95% of the people I know in my personal life with Android phones have no idea about that method. In other words, I assert that a simple lock screen will be enough to keep your phone from being reset so your phone tracking app can be used.
Colchicine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
michaelbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Allwinner A13 1GHz Android 4.0.4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSJoe View Post
While this true, there is no reason not to install a tracking app of some type on your phone. What if your phone is simply 'lost' and not stolen? Having a tracking app will help you find it better.
Thanks GPSJoe, you're right, I was just thinking in case of stolen cell, there's also a possibility of misplaced phone, which this apps will be very useful.

Thanks
michaelbr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
michaelbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Allwinner A13 1GHz Android 4.0.4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbryant3 View Post
Actually, if your phone is rooted Cerebrus claims that it can survive a factory reset (they say you would have to flash a new ROM to get rid of it).

That said - why is there no point? Granted of stolen phones your going to have a percentage who wipe the phone. Your also going to have a percentage who do not (by the way stolen phones are actually more valuable with data intact). Even in those that do get wipe you may have some lag time before it actually happens. Just because there is a probability the phone will be wiped, wouldn't you want to maximize you chance for recovery if it doesn't though.
Thanks fdbryant3, I was thinking in the same line, if one acts quickly, and uses the tracking apps before it was factory reset, then this apps will be very useful.

Thanks
michaelbr is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.