Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 4th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Question What app(s)/method(s) should I use for syncing music across many devices (windows and androids)?

I want to thank anyone who answers this in advance. I am usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out but at this point my head is spinning.

I just bought and Asus 300 tablet for house use. I mainly bought this for our 4 year old for learning apps and entertainment. I then realized that I have her music on a bunch of other devices so I figured that now would be a good time to get everything synced up with one another. I am mainly concerned about the music aspect of syncing and if an app(s)/method(s) included other things like pictures and videos I would not be opposed. The main devices I want to sync are as follows:

2 galaxy s3’s

2 older Android phones that will be used as media (music devices like an ipod) which are a Epic 4G and a Evo

1 Asus Transformer 300

2 computers running Vista and Windows 8

And maybe if it wasn’t a problem an XP desktop, an XP laptop, and an Ipod nano.

The nano is not a big concern since I know how Apple is about sharing and I could just take most of my music to another system/use another method. I have looked into Amazons Cloud Player and have heard about some other Apps like Double Twist but I am still a little lost. I am basically looking for something that is more or less fully automated (or pretty close to it).

Thanks in advance,

Jeffrey

sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crashdamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 2,309
 
Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,678
Thanked 523 Times in 439 Posts
Default

Look into Dropbox. You can do almost anything with it. FolderSync also for your phones and tablet.
__________________
Registered Linux user #266531 since 2001. Android user since v1.0.
Crashdamage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 128
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Have you checked out Google Play Music. It works on all android devices and windows computers. It holds up to 20,000 songs and it's absolutely 100% free. It's also automated. As long as you use the same google account to access the info on all of these devices, you will immediately have access to all of your music instantly. Once setup properly, every time you add/delete music from the google play music application on your windows pc, these changes will automatically show up on your devices without you needing to do anything else. Lastly, your music is available using any web browser with internet access. This type of setup works for all google systems/apps, including documents, pictures, videos. Hope this helps.
woodsb123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gtbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,843
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 (US - GSM) and Nexus 7 (2013). All stock
Carrier: t-mobile (USA)

Thanks: 132
Thanked 701 Times in 520 Posts
Default

Not sure how many devices this scales up to, but doubetwist is a great program and should do the trick.

Enjoy your Music, Video, Radio & iTunes on Android - doubleTwist
gtbarry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I would also like syncing of playlists, I can't believe I forgot to mention that. It would be great to have the ability to have a playlist in a play list or something like that.

Example:

Mia's music playlist"s"
...Mia's sleep music playlist
......song 1
......song 2 etc.
...Mia's fun music playlist
......song 1
......song 2 etc
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Look into Dropbox. You can do almost anything with it. FolderSync also for your phones and tablet.
Will dropbox track playlists?
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crashdamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 2,309
 
Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,678
Thanked 523 Times in 439 Posts
Default

Dropbox will sync any file - music, photo, video, text, etc.
Crashdamage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsb123 View Post
Have you checked out Google Play Music. It works on all android devices and windows computers. It holds up to 20,000 songs and it's absolutely 100% free. It's also automated. As long as you use the same google account to access the info on all of these devices, you will immediately have access to all of your music instantly. Once setup properly, every time you add/delete music from the google play music application on your windows pc, these changes will automatically show up on your devices without you needing to do anything else. Lastly, your music is available using any web browser with internet access. This type of setup works for all google systems/apps, including documents, pictures, videos. Hope this helps.
It seems like Amazon Cloud Player and Google Music mirror each other besides the limits correct or?
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ipersian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 74
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Dropbox offers 2 gb for free which is expandable up to 16gb, 500mb per referral, but a new promising sync cloud has emerged named jottacloud which offers 5gb at first and 5 gb per referral for up to 100 gb. If your musics are more than the dropbox capacity, jottacloud remains a better sollution. The android program specifically syncs media and other mobile related stuff. If you like pm me and I will send you my referrals for jottacloud. It seems that there is no limitation per file too, as I easily uploaded a 4 gb movie. But I noticed that you have s3 I think you can get 50gb for 2 years from drop box and that would be a good but temporary solution :-)
ipersian is offline  
Last edited by ipersian; December 6th, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbarry View Post
Not sure how many devices this scales up to, but doubetwist is a great program and should do the trick.

Enjoy your Music, Video, Radio & iTunes on Android - doubleTwist
Someone mentioned Winamp (have not used it for like 10 years lol). I downloaded bother the Android app ( very simple looking) and the desktop version but it seems that I am not the only one having problems syncing it via wifi, a ton of people are! Ok, delete that last sentence. I stopped writing this so see if it was working and it was.

So how similar is double twist to what Winamp does?
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Dropbox will sync any file - music, photo, video, text, etc.
They are starting to become more of an option but where in an app does it give you the choice to say to dropbox?
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crashdamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 2,309
 
Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,678
Thanked 523 Times in 439 Posts
Default

For mobile devices using FolderSync with Dropbox will let you choose any file(s) or folder(s) to sync and set syncing rules and schedules. Some apps have integration with Dropbox built-in, but not all.

There's many apps available for Dropbox for mobile devices and desktops that make it by far the most capable, configurable of all cloud storage services.
Crashdamage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 62 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Not sure why the focus on Dropbox... Try iSyncr will sync itunes library, playlists, ratings, play count, etc from android back to PC. Then you'd have one installed on each device going back to the same itunes library on the desktop. This is designed for music and works well. I still have SugarSync which is similar to Dropbox, but using an app designed for a purpose like iSyncr always works better.
DaveSyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

what exactly does syncing music do? I have my own android with X many songs on it. My wife has one with Y many songs on it. My kids will have their own soon. And I have an external drive connected to my router with XYZ+AA+AB amount of songs on it scattered over various folders. What exactly will music syncing do in this case? I've never done it, so I just don't fully understand how it works.
arej00dazed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crashdamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 2,309
 
Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,678
Thanked 523 Times in 439 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSyd View Post
Not sure why the focus on Dropbox...I still have SugarSync which is similar to Dropbox, but using an app designed for a purpose like iSyncr always works better.
Because the OP said he also wanted to be able to sync other files like pics, videos, etc.
Crashdamage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipersian View Post
Dropbox offers 2 gb for free which is expandable up to 16gb, 500mb per referral, but a new promising sync cloud has emerged named jottacloud which offers 5gb at first and 5 gb per referral for up to 100 gb. If your musics are more than the dropbox capacity, jottacloud remains a better sollution. The android program specifically syncs media and other mobile related stuff. If you like pm me and I will send you my referrals for jottacloud. It seems that there is no limitation per file too, as I easily uploaded a 4 gb movie. But I noticed that you have s3 I think you can get 50gb for 2 years from drop box and that would be a good but temporary solution :-)
Yes I have the 50GB. I think I need to google "dropbox music" etc. to find out what this would look like. I always thought of dropbox as "catch all" random file and picture service.
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sunny Cornwall
Posts: 1,294
 
Device(s): Desire HD ....
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 221 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSyd View Post
Not sure why the focus on Dropbox... Try iSyncr will sync itunes library, playlists, ratings, play count, etc from android back to PC. Then you'd have one installed on each device going back to the same itunes library on the desktop. This is designed for music and works well. I still have SugarSync which is similar to Dropbox, but using an app designed for a purpose like iSyncr always works better.
Yeah, I don't get that either. Basically all your (the OP) music is at home on PCs and phones/tablets so the first thing I would do is ensure that you have all of it in one place. Then you can think about syncing it to other devices. No need to use the "cloud", just copy it (copy and paste would be the simplest) directly to each device. I just use Microsoft's Synctoy to sync music on my PC to my phone (though a 'sync' in this case is just a copy of my PC folder(s) to the phone).

Dave
dvhttn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arej00dazed View Post
what exactly does syncing music do? I have my own android with X many songs on it. My wife has one with Y many songs on it. My kids will have their own soon. And I have an external drive connected to my router with XYZ+AA+AB amount of songs on it scattered over various folders. What exactly will music syncing do in this case? I've never done it, so I just don't fully understand how it works.
Syncing would allow you to have all of it on every device (assuming you have enough storage on your phone of course). Alternatively, you would be able to sync individual folders to individual devices if you didn't want everything on every device. The nice thing about this is you can buy an album from your computer, and then have it automatically show up on every other device you own.

I'll be looking for a syncing solution for Android also. I used to use Rsync to sync my tablet and NAS, which was a pain to get setup, but worked pretty well after I got it working. I had to reflash a few months back though, and haven't bothered to try and figure out how to get it setup again though.
dylane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylane View Post
Syncing would allow you to have all of it on every device (assuming you have enough storage on your phone of course). Alternatively, you would be able to sync individual folders to individual devices if you didn't want everything on every device. The nice thing about this is you can buy an album from your computer, and then have it automatically show up on every other device you own.

I'll be looking for a syncing solution for Android also. I used to use Rsync to sync my tablet and NAS, which was a pain to get setup, but worked pretty well after I got it working. I had to reflash a few months back though, and haven't bothered to try and figure out how to get it setup again though.

Ahh, so it'll auto d/l the mp3/whatever to my phone/whatever. Hmmm, no, my phone won't hold all my music. I doubt any phone would unless it has well over 100gb.
arej00dazed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
For mobile devices using FolderSync with Dropbox will let you choose any file(s) or folder(s) to sync and set syncing rules and schedules. Some apps have integration with Dropbox built-in, but not all.

There's many apps available for Dropbox for mobile devices and desktops that make it by far the most capable, configurable of all cloud storage services.
but will it pair up a folder of playlists (if allowed) with a desktop program?
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arej00dazed View Post
Ahh, so it'll auto d/l the mp3/whatever to my phone/whatever. Hmmm, no, my phone won't hold all my music. I doubt any phone would unless it has well over 100gb.
Which is why I won't buy a phone without expandable storage. My 3 year old phone has 32GB + 64GB. I'm having to take a bit of a temporary step down in storage when my Note 2 comes, since it will only have 16GB of internal storage. But I have a relatively small collection at around 40GB.

But you can use sync with subset folders rather than the entire collection, so your wife can have a folder and your kids get their own folder, etc...that way you still have anything that you put in those folders automatically get pushed out to the appropriate devices (At least that's how it worked on my Nokia, I'm assuming I can find something with at least that level of functionality on Android.)
dylane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crashdamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 2,309
 
Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,678
Thanked 523 Times in 439 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver108 View Post
but will it pair up a folder of playlists (if allowed) with a desktop program?
Dropbox can do almost anything you can imagine, either natively or through add-ons, etc.

To answer your question, well, I'm not sure *exactly* what you mean, but assuming you're running Windoze, I think Dropbox + Belvedere on the desktop and Dropbox + DropSync on mobile devices will do what you need.
Crashdamage is offline  
Last edited by Crashdamage; December 11th, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSyd View Post
Not sure why the focus on Dropbox... Try iSyncr will sync itunes library, playlists, ratings, play count, etc from android back to PC. Then you'd have one installed on each device going back to the same itunes library on the desktop. This is designed for music and works well. I still have SugarSync which is similar to Dropbox, but using an app designed for a purpose like iSyncr always works better.
I have been wondering the same thing, why dropbox. Most of my music is not on itunes so what now?
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crashdamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 2,309
 
Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,678
Thanked 523 Times in 439 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver108 View Post
I have been wondering the same thing, why dropbox. Most of my music is not on itunes so what now?
In your 1st post you stated you also want to sync photos and videos.
Crashdamage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arej00dazed View Post
what exactly does syncing music do? I have my own android with X many songs on it. My wife has one with Y many songs on it. My kids will have their own soon. And I have an external drive connected to my router with XYZ+AA+AB amount of songs on it scattered over various folders. What exactly will music syncing do in this case? I've never done it, so I just don't fully understand how it works.
Here are a couple examples:

my cell - my music, my 4 year olds music, and it would be nice to have some of my wife's music

my wife's cell - her music, my 4 year olds music, and she may want some of mine

the family tablet - all of our music

etc etc etc

So instead of trying to always sync new music with particular devices i figured that just syncing everything would same some time.

thanks for responding
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,001
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 293 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Google Play Music is nice in that you just download a free Google program to your PC, point it to you PC's music folder(s), and it uploads all of your music to the cloud so that it's availalable to any device that signs into that account. (You, your wife, and your kids could have separate accounts and keep you music folders separate.) Google Play Music, lets you store songs, albums, or playlists of songs locally so that you don't have to stream them from Google's cloud. Works great, but it's not easy to create playlists.

I also run WinAmp because I like its UI, various features, like Internet Radio, and WiFi playlist synchronization.
RazzMaTazz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
tube517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,145
 
Device(s): Samsung GTab 3 7.0,Samsung GNote2 (i317),EVO 4G, Toshiba Thrive, Galaxy Note LTE,EVO Shift
Carrier: T-Mobile,Google Voice

Thanks: 1,819
Thanked 832 Times in 545 Posts
Default

+1 for Google Play. I was able to sync everything with that
__________________
Samsung Tab 3 (7 in) • Deletrious ROM V1.6 /TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM 4.1.2/Samsung Galaxy Note2 • Temasek v37 kitkat (4.4.2)/HTC EVO 4G • Decks Reloaded ROM/EVO Shift• JellyBelly ROM/Samsung Galaxy Note I (i717)•CM11 (4.4.2 kitkat) /Samsung Galaxy S3 •DanKang 4.3.1 ROM
tube517 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sunny Cornwall
Posts: 1,294
 
Device(s): Desire HD ....
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 221 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Still can't understand what this preoccupation with the "cloud" is. In this case, just get a master copy of all the music onto one of the PCs and sync to each phone individually. I'm sure that there will be (almost) no need to have all the phones sync'ed exactly ALL of the time so sync from a PC would be more than adequate.

Dave
dvhttn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Because the OP said he also wanted to be able to sync other files like pics, videos, etc.
yes but music is priority number one
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvhttn View Post
Yeah, I don't get that either. Basically all your (the OP) music is at home on PCs and phones/tablets so the first thing I would do is ensure that you have all of it in one place. Then you can think about syncing it to other devices. No need to use the "cloud", just copy it (copy and paste would be the simplest) directly to each device. I just use Microsoft's Synctoy to sync music on my PC to my phone (though a 'sync' in this case is just a copy of my PC folder(s) to the phone).

Dave
The music all being in one place is becoming a nightmare lol. I am getting it done but it is taking a while.
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylane View Post
Syncing would allow you to have all of it on every device (assuming you have enough storage on your phone of course). Alternatively, you would be able to sync individual folders to individual devices if you didn't want everything on every device. The nice thing about this is you can buy an album from your computer, and then have it automatically show up on every other device you own.

I'll be looking for a syncing solution for Android also. I used to use Rsync to sync my tablet and NAS, which was a pain to get setup, but worked pretty well after I got it working. I had to reflash a few months back though, and haven't bothered to try and figure out how to get it setup again though.
I have been testing out winamp and it seems to be working. I am trying to start with a good foundation for my music so in the future it is easier to deal with. Like organization with file names, titles, singers, and albums to start off with. Then I want to do genres and playlists. Am I correct in saying that having universal playlists is a pain in the ass?
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arej00dazed View Post
Ahh, so it'll auto d/l the mp3/whatever to my phone/whatever. Hmmm, no, my phone won't hold all my music. I doubt any phone would unless it has well over 100gb.
I believe that is a feature in Winamp, the auto dl thing. I have around 5 gigs and 1000 songs so far. I guess after I add everything in like cd's and my wifes music I will be over 10 gigs but 100 gigs...how lol?
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylane View Post
Which is why I won't buy a phone without expandable storage. My 3 year old phone has 32GB + 64GB. I'm having to take a bit of a temporary step down in storage when my Note 2 comes, since it will only have 16GB of internal storage. But I have a relatively small collection at around 40GB.

But you can use sync with subset folders rather than the entire collection, so your wife can have a folder and your kids get their own folder, etc...that way you still have anything that you put in those folders automatically get pushed out to the appropriate devices (At least that's how it worked on my Nokia, I'm assuming I can find something with at least that level of functionality on Android.)
I do not have a storage issue as of yet. Wow, 40 GBs...how?
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sunny Cornwall
Posts: 1,294
 
Device(s): Desire HD ....
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 221 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver108 View Post
The music all being in one place is becoming a nightmare lol. I am getting it done but it is taking a while.
It's worth it! That, and using an app (phone or PC) to ensure all the mp3 tags are correct on all your tunes. Takes a while to get sorted but anything added afterwards is straightforward.

Dave
dvhttn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Tried the sync method this weekend using Win. Media Player. After a few tweaks, I was able to sync music to mine and my wifes phone. However, we notice that there can be two entries for one song even though theres only one file. Whats the deal with this?

EDIT: I realized what happened when I saw Lady Gagag on my phone. I have music folders setup for my kids inside my main music folder. I created a new folder called "phone music" in which I put all the music I wanted in that folder then tried to sync just that folder. But instead it synced ALL the folders inside my main music folder.
arej00dazed is offline  
Last edited by arej00dazed; December 18th, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Dropbox can do almost anything you can imagine, either natively or through add-ons, etc.

To answer your question, well, I'm not sure *exactly* what you mean, but assuming you're running Windoze, I think Dropbox + Belvedere on the desktop and Dropbox + DropSync on mobile devices will do what you need.
yes "windoze"
what is belvedere?
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
In your 1st post you stated you also want to sync photos and videos.
secondary but yes
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzMaTazz View Post
Google Play Music is nice in that you just download a free Google program to your PC, point it to you PC's music folder(s), and it uploads all of your music to the cloud so that it's availalable to any device that signs into that account. (You, your wife, and your kids could have separate accounts and keep you music folders separate.) Google Play Music, lets you store songs, albums, or playlists of songs locally so that you don't have to stream them from Google's cloud. Works great, but it's not easy to create playlists.

I also run WinAmp because I like its UI, various features, like Internet Radio, and WiFi playlist synchronization.
so you can sync playlists on google music huh>
sliver108 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crashdamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 2,309
 
Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,678
Thanked 523 Times in 439 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver108 View Post
what is belvedere?
Google 'belvedere dropbox'. You may also want to Google 'hazel dropbox'.

No other cloud storage can match the power and flexibility of Dropbox.
Crashdamage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ipersian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 74
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Jottacloud is aloso very cool, it gives you plenty of storage which is expandable to 100gb for free :-) and it supports windows and Android! If you sign up with a referral link and install the android app, you will get 12gb!
ipersian is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.