Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
frazerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S
Carrier: Tesco

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Permanently Stop/Remove App

I've noticed that I can't uninstall some apps on my phone and when I stop them from running in the background they end up starting themselves again for some reason.

How can I uninstall or permanently stop these apps from running please?

frazerh is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BigRedGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 756
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 62
Thanked 160 Times in 129 Posts
Default

If you are running ICS or better, you can go to settings>apps choose the All tab, find the offending app and tap it and then tap disable. If you have allowed any updates of the app, they will have to be uninstalled first. In this case the Disable button will say Uninstall updates and after doing so, will change to Disable.

BigRedGonzo
BigRedGonzo is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedGonzo For This Useful Post:
El Presidente (December 19th, 2012), raychelabcdefg (December 19th, 2012)
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 26,579
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,020
Thanked 15,814 Times in 8,485 Posts
Default

If you're not on ICS, just leave task/RAM Management to the OS, it's pretty good at killing tasks itself when it needs more memory/resources. Killing off background apps can have a negative impact on battery (more so than leaving stuff running in the background).
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines / Staff List / Ask the Staff
Want to bring naughty posts to our attention? Use:
Be respectful to each other - That's what we're all about.
El Presidente is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
frazerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S
Carrier: Tesco

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedGonzo View Post
If you are running ICS or better, you can go to settings>apps choose the All tab, find the offending app and tap it and then tap disable. If you have allowed any updates of the app, they will have to be uninstalled first. In this case the Disable button will say Uninstall updates and after doing so, will change to Disable.

BigRedGonzo
I'm not sure what ICS is but I know how to disable/uninstall/stop apps but some of them either don't give this option or just reappear later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
If you're not on ICS, just leave task/RAM Management to the OS, it's pretty good at killing tasks itself when it needs more memory/resources. Killing off background apps can have a negative impact on battery (more so than leaving stuff running in the background).
I appreciate your advice but I do have apps which I'm pretty sure aren't important and are nothing but a hindrance to my ram and storage space.
frazerh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 577
 
Device(s): LG Optimus M, Optimus M +, Motion 4G (all retired), LG Optimus F3, Galaxy Tab 2-7. All rooted.
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 7
Thanked 134 Times in 108 Posts
Default

If they are apps that came preinstalled with the phone and they don't have a disable or uninstall option, then you can't remove them. The only way to be able to do so is to root the phone, then use an app like Titanium Backup Pro to freeze (disable) or uninstall those apps.
You haven't mentioned what phone you have (best to complete your profile with that information so you can get more directed assistance), but there is probably a sub-forum for it where you can get more specific information including rooting procedures.
Fox Mulder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
frazerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S
Carrier: Tesco

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
If they are apps that came preinstalled with the phone and they don't have a disable or uninstall option, then you can't remove them. The only way to be able to do so is to root the phone, then use an app like Titanium Backup Pro to freeze (disable) or uninstall those apps.
You haven't mentioned what phone you have (best to complete your profile with that information so you can get more directed assistance), but there is probably a sub-forum for it where you can get more specific information including rooting procedures.
Hmm I looked up rooting and I'm not sure if I'm bothered enough to go through setting all that up. Thanks anyway.
frazerh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Gender: Female
Posts: 19
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, HTC Wildfire S
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedGonzo View Post
If you are running ICS or better, you can go to settings>apps choose the All tab, find the offending app and tap it and then tap disable. If you have allowed any updates of the app, they will have to be uninstalled first. In this case the Disable button will say Uninstall updates and after doing so, will change to Disable.

BigRedGonzo
thank you SO much. I had a folder with 20+ apps that I just have no use for. and even though this doesn't remove them completely, it hides their icon which is all I really care about!
raychelabcdefg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 26,579
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,020
Thanked 15,814 Times in 8,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazerh View Post
I appreciate your advice but I do have apps which I'm pretty sure aren't important and are nothing but a hindrance to my ram and storage space.
No problem, do you want me to give you some links on how Android handles RAM? It does it very differently to Windows. The long and the short of it is, unused RAM is wasted RAM.

You might want to take a look here if you're having storage issues too: Forcing Apps to install to the SD Card without root
El Presidente is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
frazerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S
Carrier: Tesco

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
No problem, do you want me to give you some links on how Android handles RAM? It does it very differently to Windows. The long and the short of it is, unused RAM is wasted RAM.

You might want to take a look here if you're having storage issues too: Forcing Apps to install to the SD Card without root
Basically when I run Angry Birds it takes a while to load and sometimes stutters a bit, I have a Facebook and 360Shop service running in the background which keep starting up for some reason, I never use it and I've tried stopping it but they won't go away. I figured if I could get rid of them it'd free up RAM for Angry Birds.
frazerh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 26,579
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,020
Thanked 15,814 Times in 8,485 Posts
Default

Angry Birds performs exactly the same on my Wildfire S, if you turn the backgrounds off via settings, it makes things a little better. The Wildfire S is quite low spec now, so it will struggle with some games, regardless of what you do unfortunately.
El Presidente is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El Presidente For This Useful Post:
frazerh (December 19th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
frazerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S
Carrier: Tesco

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
Angry Birds performs exactly the same on my Wildfire S, if you turn the backgrounds off via settings, it makes things a little better. The Wildfire S is quite low spec now, so it will struggle with some games, regardless of what you do unfortunately.
I didn't know you could do that, thanks.
frazerh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
frazerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S
Carrier: Tesco

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazerh View Post
I didn't know you could do that, thanks.
I don't think you can do that on the Star Wars version and I don't want to trying rooting so I guess I'll have to put up with it until I get a better phone.
frazerh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
apps, running, stop, uninstall


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.