Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By lexluthor
  • 2 Post By simonb99
  • 1 Post By MasterCylinder
  • 1 Post By MasterCylinder
  • 1 Post By jim64
  • 1 Post By funkylogik
  • 1 Post By MasterCylinder
  • 1 Post By MasterCylinder

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Tmobile Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus-GB2.3/Tmobile Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default "Google Play Music" App Starts on it's own...stoppit!

I have a TMobile Galaxy Note II Android 4.1.2 with current baseband. The "Google Play Music" app recently started launching on it's own. I noticed it in my applications window. The app starts when I reboot my phone and when I open certain applications. I'm trying to troubleshoot a gaming application problem that started about the same time the "Play Music" app started appearing randomly. I'm thinking the music app might be causing the lag in my gaming application...I dunno. I forced it to stop and cleared the cache but that seemed to adversely effect phone functions...the program seems to be very integrated into phone functions. Is there another way to disable this app since I don't use it?
Thanks!
MikeY

Advertisements
Tootallll is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 646
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy N3 / Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 127 Times in 112 Posts
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootallll View Post
I have a TMobile Galaxy Note II Android 4.1.2 with current baseband. The "Google Play Music" app recently started launching on it's own. I noticed it in my applications window. The app starts when I reboot my phone and when I open certain applications. I'm trying to troubleshoot a gaming application problem that started about the same time the "Play Music" app started appearing randomly. I'm thinking the music app might be causing the lag in my gaming application...I dunno. I forced it to stop and cleared the cache but that seemed to adversely effect phone functions...the program seems to be very integrated into phone functions. Is there another way to disable this app since I don't use it?
Thanks!
MikeY
Go into your phone settings and click on Application Manager and move to the All category at the top. Then scroll down and look for Google Play Music and choose Force Stop or Uninstall

SkyJackpot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Tmobile Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus-GB2.3/Tmobile Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for your reply. I forced stop but when reboot phone app starts again...I really don't want to force stop every time I reboot phone if possible. Checked other forums and seems to be an issue others are having with the Note II recently.
Tootallll is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 646
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy N3 / Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 127 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootallll View Post
Thanks for your reply. I forced stop but when reboot phone app starts again...I really don't want to force stop every time I reboot phone if possible. Checked other forums and seems to be an issue others are having with the Note II recently.
Unfortunately they feel that you should have that program open every reboot, even if you don't use it and haven't actually pressed the icon to open it manually. It opens a service to set all music to play with Google Play Music by default. I rooted my phone to stop or uninstall programs that I don't use.

Is the option to uninstall it available on your phone?
SkyJackpot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,129
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 81
Thanked 340 Times in 203 Posts
Default

I used to have that same problem with every music player that I tried (like Android's old Music, the newer Play Music, WinAmp, et al) on my LG Optimus S when it was running Android 2.1 Froyo-based ROMs (stock or custom). I thought it was a hardware problem, but the problem went away when I upgraded to Gingerbread and never occurred again. I realize that doesn't necessarily help you since you can't go to Gingerbread, but perhaps you could solve the problem by going to another Android version (possibly even a custom ROM).
RazzMaTazz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-l170
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have been haviung the same issue since yesterday , when my Sprint Galaxy S3 got the 4.1.2 MD4 build. I uninstalled the updates for Google Play Music , took that program back to factory. No problems so far.
Tormentis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
share the love peeps ;)
 
funkylogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,458
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (I9300) Carbon nightlies (4.4.2) Nexus 7 (2012) Validus, Franco Kernel
Carrier: 3 (three) UK 15 p/m unltd data/txt

Thanks: 12,141
Thanked 4,319 Times in 3,435 Posts
Default

Do yo have the option to Disable in application manager after tapping Uninstall Updates?
__________________
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/funkylogik
For a UK prepay sim with unlimited data, unlimited text, 250mins for 12p/m, no contract, no catch (runs on o2 network)
funkylogik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,096
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One S, iPhone 5s, Nook HD+, Nook Color
Carrier: Verizon and T-Mobile

Thanks: 135
Thanked 404 Times in 263 Posts
Default

Wait, why do you care if it starts up? If it didn't get loaded in memory, something else would. It's not like y are getting anything out of unused memory.
funkylogik likes this.
lexluthor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
share the love peeps ;)
 
funkylogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,458
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (I9300) Carbon nightlies (4.4.2) Nexus 7 (2012) Validus, Franco Kernel
Carrier: 3 (three) UK 15 p/m unltd data/txt

Thanks: 12,141
Thanked 4,319 Times in 3,435 Posts
Default

Yup ^^ thats true mate. I dont have play music installed but as long as it isnt syncing or anything, its doin no harm
Unless it just isnt playing nicely with the gaming app. Force closing it will soon let you find out
funkylogik is offline  
Last edited by funkylogik; May 18th, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Stuff launching by itself is bloody annoying !!
Mayhem and MasterCylinder like this.
simonb99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterCylinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 69
Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb99 View Post
Stuff launching by itself is bloody annoying !!
This all started with the 5/17 update, after the Google I/O conference and all the hoopla about this new and improved app.

It's true that it doesn't seem to be using any CPU cycles and only used about 8.5mb of RAM, but it's not like Verizon bloatware that sits in Cache whether you want it to or not. It's in Task Manager>Active Applications - forever! I've never even opened the bloody thing! And, I'm not so sure it doesn't start itself without a reboot, since I rarely reboot yet there it is the next time I look after a Force Stop. I suppose Uninstalling the update would fix this, yet one would have to go to the Play Store to disable updating?

Everybody wants to own your phone life, don't they? It seems rooting is the only way to defeat these self interested attempts at slavery.

funkylogik likes this.
MasterCylinder is offline  
Last edited by MasterCylinder; May 21st, 2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Increas Smiley Size
Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
share the love peeps ;)
 
funkylogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,458
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (I9300) Carbon nightlies (4.4.2) Nexus 7 (2012) Validus, Franco Kernel
Carrier: 3 (three) UK 15 p/m unltd data/txt

Thanks: 12,141
Thanked 4,319 Times in 3,435 Posts
Default

I take it it doesnt give the "disable" option once you uninstall updates mate?
funkylogik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterCylinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 69
Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
I take it it doesnt give the "disable" option once you uninstall updates mate?
I haven't tried it because uninstalling the update itself would stop this I believe. But now, I just got another update, after only 5 days?! I'm waiting to see what happens.

Also, it was starting up on its own without rebooting. We'll see what this new update does...
funkylogik likes this.
MasterCylinder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jim64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 40
 
Device(s): SGS3 (rooted)
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
I take it it doesnt give the "disable" option once you uninstall updates mate?
Just done it. There's a disable option once updates are removed. (N.B. If you restart device before disabling it'll just update again).
funkylogik likes this.
jim64 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jim64 For This Useful Post:
funkylogik (May 22nd, 2013)
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,226
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 227
Thanked 635 Times in 503 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootallll View Post
I have a TMobile Galaxy Note II Android 4.1.2 with current baseband. The "Google Play Music" app recently started launching on it's own. I noticed it in my applications window. The app starts when I reboot my phone and when I open certain applications. I'm trying to troubleshoot a gaming application problem that started about the same time the "Play Music" app started appearing randomly. I'm thinking the music app might be causing the lag in my gaming application...I dunno. I forced it to stop and cleared the cache but that seemed to adversely effect phone functions...the program seems to be very integrated into phone functions. Is there another way to disable this app since I don't use it?
Thanks!
MikeY
This is just the way that Android manages system resources. If there is free RAM available, Android tries to predict which apps you are likely going to need in the near future and loads them in. That way, when you decide to use those apps, they will start faster.

As far as I know, there isn't really any way to explicitly tell Android which apps you are or are not likely to use often. If you manually try to kill the app, it will not necessarily have the desired effect. Accessing the app to kill it often may make Android think that you are using that app often and Android will always think that you will need it and load it into available RAM.

The only way to guarantee that the app doesn't load into RAM is to delete it. If you are doing some testing on your phone, you may just have to delete those apps and then load them in afterwards when you are done.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuntman For This Useful Post:
funkylogik (May 22nd, 2013)
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
share the love peeps ;)
 
funkylogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,458
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (I9300) Carbon nightlies (4.4.2) Nexus 7 (2012) Validus, Franco Kernel
Carrier: 3 (three) UK 15 p/m unltd data/txt

Thanks: 12,141
Thanked 4,319 Times in 3,435 Posts
Default

Yeah if youre rooted you can white/black-list apps but on stock, i think the OS has to learn what apps you use most. I agree though that it shouldnt just launch a non-essential app at boot
MasterCylinder likes this.
funkylogik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterCylinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 69
Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
This is just the way that Android manages system resources. If there is free RAM available, Android tries to predict which apps you are likely going to need in the near future and loads them in. That way, when you decide to use those apps, they will start faster.

As far as I know, there isn't really any way to explicitly tell Android which apps you are or are not likely to use often. If you manually try to kill the app, it will not necessarily have the desired effect. Accessing the app to kill it often may make Android think that you are using that app often and Android will always think that you will need it and load it into available RAM.

The only way to guarantee that the app doesn't load into RAM is to delete it. If you are doing some testing on your phone, you may just have to delete those apps and then load them in afterwards when you are done.
Okay, BUT, there's no reason that Google Play Music should be thought of as an app that I would want to use by my operating system since I've never ever started the thing! This started immediately after an upgrade on 5/17. Now it restarts itself every few hours if I stop it.

Google play Music is being marketed up front at the moment on the Play website. It was hyped at I/O. They're trying to start a new revenue stream. Am I being cynical?
funkylogik likes this.
MasterCylinder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
share the love peeps ;)
 
funkylogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,458
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (I9300) Carbon nightlies (4.4.2) Nexus 7 (2012) Validus, Franco Kernel
Carrier: 3 (three) UK 15 p/m unltd data/txt

Thanks: 12,141
Thanked 4,319 Times in 3,435 Posts
Default

Im not the conspiracy theorist type mate but i dont think youre just bein cynical
funkylogik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,279
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 14,797
Thanked 12,570 Times in 7,251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
Okay, BUT, there's no reason that Google Play Music should be thought of as an app that I would want to use by my operating system since I've never ever started the thing! This started immediately after an upgrade on 5/17. Now it restarts itself every few hours if I stop it.

Google play Music is being marketed up front at the moment on the Play website. It was hyped at I/O. They're trying to start a new revenue stream. Am I being cynical?
Do you have it set to sync? Its got to be running to sync


Honestly, constantly checking what apps are running and killing it is doing way more harm than good
Rxpert83 is online now  
Last edited by Rxpert83; May 22nd, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
funkylogik (May 23rd, 2013)
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterCylinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 69
Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
Do you have it set to sync? Its got to be running to sync


Honestly, constantly checking what apps are running and killing it is doing way more harm than good
I don't do that. I just started checking after I saw it started, by accident, and I'd never seen that before.

Well, I rooted last night, so I should be able to find a way to deal with it, though uninstalling would be the quickest.
funkylogik likes this.
MasterCylinder is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterCylinder For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (May 22nd, 2013)
sponsored links
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,957
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,752
Thanked 11,430 Times in 5,798 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
I rooted last night, so I should be able to find a way to deal with it, though uninstalling would be the quickest.
As you're rooted just delete the APK from /system/app. I'd still check to see if it's inadvertently configured to sync though. 99 times out of 100 that's the reason for something seemingly starting by itself.
Slug is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slug For This Useful Post:
funkylogik (May 23rd, 2013), MasterCylinder (May 23rd, 2013), Rxpert83 (May 23rd, 2013)
Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterCylinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 69
Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
As you're rooted just delete the APK from /system/app. I'd still check to see if it's inadvertently configured to sync though. 99 times out of 100 that's the reason for something seemingly starting by itself.
I had frozen it with Titanium Backup. I brought it up again to see if there was a setting for syncing but there wasn't, unless there are more settings if you log into your account. I don't have an account with them.

It's not free, except for a 30 day trial. If this trial is begun before 6/30 then the cost is $7.99/month. They're probably shooting for $10.
MasterCylinder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
share the love peeps ;)
 
funkylogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,458
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (I9300) Carbon nightlies (4.4.2) Nexus 7 (2012) Validus, Franco Kernel
Carrier: 3 (three) UK 15 p/m unltd data/txt

Thanks: 12,141
Thanked 4,319 Times in 3,435 Posts
Default

Isnt it just their Spotify-type service that isnt free mate?
funkylogik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,279
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 14,797
Thanked 12,570 Times in 7,251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
I had frozen it with Titanium Backup. I brought it up again to see if there was a setting for syncing but there wasn't, unless there are more settings if you log into your account. I don't have an account with them.

It's not free, except for a 30 day trial. If this trial is begun before 6/30 then the cost is $7.99/month. They're probably shooting for $10.
If youre logged onto the play store, you have a play music account, its all the same.

You have to uncheck play music sync in your Google sync settings
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
funkylogik (May 23rd, 2013), MasterCylinder (May 23rd, 2013)
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterCylinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 69
Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
If youre logged onto the play store, you have a play music account, its all the same.

You have to uncheck play music sync in your Google sync settings
Rxpert83,

Thanks for your suggestions!

As to your 1st point: I figured that, but I had never configured my Google Play Music app to login to my account! When I open it, it is presenting my Gmail address and asking if I want to use that account or some other. Without logging it in, I have only a couple of options under Menu>Settings.

And, to your 2nd point, I did not have a Sync Google Play Music option under my Google account that I can remember before the 5/17 update, though I might be wrong about that. With GPM frozen, the option is not there . I've got others, like Google Play Books, Magazines, TV, etc ... and 10 others, including an enigmatic "Sync App Data."

However, to continue the experiment, I decided to unfreeze and login the player. After that, I had a dozen or more options under Menu>Settings within the player, the usual you would expect with an online music player, and I NOW had a Sync Google Play Music option in my Settings>Accounts>Google, and it was checked.

I unchecked it and I'm going to continue the experiment, to see if it restarts itself again.

Update 12 hours later: There it is again even with the Sync unchecked. Back to the freezer for now. Titanium Backup does give the option to "Convert to User App" which might do it, or "Force Remove (By Recovery Exploit.) Or I'll just follow Slugs advice.

And just for the record, I've only been following this inquiry just to solve the mystery since I don't plan to use it - I'm using MOG for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
Isnt it just their Spotify-type service that isnt free mate?
I got that information from Google Play Store, and the info is also duplicated from within the player itself a number of different ways, presenting opportunities to sign up. It's called "All Access." That's the new direction touted at I/O recently, to compete with MOG, etc .... There is also "Standard" which is free "Locker and Store." All of this is brand new as announced at I/O and coordinated with the update of 5/17 that I received. They are launching into the streaming music business - for money!$

Are you saying Google owns Spotify? I can't find any evidence of that.
MasterCylinder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.