Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Android Lounge A place for general Android discussion and questions.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
JM33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maui, HI
Posts: 162
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE, Moto Droid (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Default Android and screen rotation... ?

Hi guys,

There didn't seem like a better place to post this, please forgive me if I missed something. I am wondering about the current possibilties for screen rotation with Android. Can the screen rotate to any direction or only portrait and landscape left? I am hoping for landscape right, anyone know if this is possible natively, or through a 3rd party app?

The reason I ask is because I am seriously considering the new moto droid. All info so far shows the D-pad on the right of the keyboard, and I do not expect that to change when it is released. I like to play games on the phone and having the D-pad on right is just plain awkward. However, one could simply flip it upside down and voila!, the is now D-pad on the left like every good gamepad should be. But, will the screen rotate too?

JM33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 138
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Why does it matter which way it can rotate?

All it needs are 2 ways, landscape and portrait
Fake Name is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM33 View Post
Hi guys,

There didn't seem like a better place to post this, please forgive me if I missed something. I am wondering about the current possibilties for screen rotation with Android. Can the screen rotate to any direction or only portrait and landscape left? I am hoping for landscape right, anyone know if this is possible natively, or through a 3rd party app?

The reason I ask is because I am seriously considering the new moto droid. All info so far shows the D-pad on the right of the keyboard, and I do not expect that to change when it is released. I like to play games on the phone and having the D-pad on right is just plain awkward. However, one could simply flip it upside down and voila!, the is now D-pad on the left like every good gamepad should be. But, will the screen rotate too?

All android phones have rotation just not 360 degree rotation at the moment as far as i know only the cliq has 360 rotation however being that its a Motorola i would believe that their other phones releasing (at least the ones with moto blur) will have the same abilities.....
__________________

My Blog
noonehereyet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
JM33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maui, HI
Posts: 162
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE, Moto Droid (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Default

@ Fake Name: I hope I can explain this...

Normal operation I would expect is for the keyboard to slide out, and screen would be held on top, while the keyboard is on bottom. At least this would be the natural way to hold the phone since the letters on the keyboard would be right side up, and assuming no auto screen rotation, the screen also would be right side up. (90 degrees clockwise from portrait)

I want to know if I were to flip it upside down (screen on bottom, keyboard on top- with letters upside down), what happens to the screen? Does it auto-rotate? (To 270 dgrees clockwise from portrait). Or is there an app for that?

@noonhereyet: If I am understanding you correctly, this is native on the Cliq?, but does it auto-rotate based on the accelerometer?

Thanks in advance
JM33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
No One...
 
noonehereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,129
 
Device(s): G1, Cliq, Vibrant, MyTouch 4G, G2x, Amaze, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via AIM to noonehereyet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM33 View Post
@ Fake Name: I hope I can explain this...

Normal operation I would expect is for the keyboard to slide out, and screen would be held on top, while the keyboard is on bottom. At least this would be the natural way to hold the phone since the letters on the keyboard would be right side up, and assuming no auto screen rotation, the screen also would be right side up. (90 degrees clockwise from portrait)

I want to know if I were to flip it upside down (screen on bottom, keyboard on top- with letters upside down), what happens to the screen? Does it auto-rotate? (To 270 dgrees clockwise from portrait). Or is there an app for that?

@noonhereyet: If I am understanding you correctly, this is native on the Cliq?, but does it auto-rotate based on the accelerometer?

Thanks in advance
see on the cliq the d-pad is on the left where the droid is on the right and if your using emulators or into gaming yes it will make a difference... so i understand totally why he wants it to rotate and yes it is native on the cliq and based on the accelerometer as with the other phones.... only on the cliq it responds to 360 degrees.... and so you can see what he/I mean here are some pics of my cliq so you can see the full rotation....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009-10-26 20.25.47.jpg (136.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2009-10-26 20.25.55.jpg (141.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2009-10-26 20.26.04.jpg (135.5 KB, 21 views)
noonehereyet is offline  
Last edited by noonehereyet; October 26th, 2009 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
JM33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maui, HI
Posts: 162
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE, Moto Droid (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonehereyet View Post
see on the cliq the d-pad is on the left where the droid is on the right and if your using emulators or into gaming yes it will make a difference... so i understand totally why he wants it to rotate and yes it is native on the cliq and based on the accelerometer as with the other phones.... only on the cliq it responds to 360 degrees.... and so you can see what he/I mean here are some pics of my cliq so you can see the full rotation....
Thank you very much! You have put my mind at ease. Now I just have to wait for the release and verify that Moto did not change this functionality on the Droid.

All the best
JM33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My new Nexus One does not do this. That is, it does only Portrait and (keyboard) landscape mode. I'd like to do the "top to the right" landscape mode to:
1) keep the light sensor away from my LARGE hand so that the screen stops dimming and
2) put the buttons on the "other sides" so I stop pressing them!

So does anyone know of an app that "extends" the accelerometer/screen interaction for "top to the right" landscape mode?
dessa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
wmm
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): Nexus One, LG G2x
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Default

As a Nexus One owner, I'd like to second that request. My reason is that I'm right-handed, and when I use the phone with the power plugged in, the power connection interferes with free movement of my right hand to scroll, hit buttons, etc. I'd much prefer to have the power connection on my left hand, since I don't move my left hand nearly as much and it would be less of a hindrance.
wmm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,354
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 286 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM33 View Post
I like to play games on the phone and having the D-pad on right is just plain awkward.
...and having the keyboard above the screen isn't awkward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonehereyet View Post
see on the cliq the d-pad is on the left where the droid is on the right and if your using emulators or into gaming yes it will make a difference...
It's a YMMV thing. Location of the d-pad on the Droid has never bothered me (and I do use the emulators quite a bit).
takeshi is offline  
Last edited by takeshi; January 13th, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hi while were on the topic, my phone no longer rotates! I have no idea why, i selected auto rotate, but it no longer rotates, anyone know the solution?
legsilver is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 155
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Droid x does along with the other Droids (I think), but not all phones do because they want to force you into one of two orientations that they think are best for use of the hardware. I think that is bs and all phones should have 360 or at least 3 side.
__________________
Twitter: @theoperant
operant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,002
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 206
Thanked 571 Times in 449 Posts
Default

My Desire Z can rotate to landscape both left and right. If the keyboard is out, then it only orients to landscape in line with the keyboard. I'm not sure about portrait while upside down with the keyboard retracted, though. I'll try it out later.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,002
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 206
Thanked 571 Times in 449 Posts
Default

I don't play many games. The only one I play that is in landscape mode is Angry Birds and that seems to automatically default to rotating to the left. I haven't tried using it the reverse way to see if it orients itself that way. The other games I have are in portrait mode.
Stuntman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,758
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 868 Times in 698 Posts
Default

GalaxyS4G also rotates landscape both ways. If you took the lettering off the phone, you really couldn't tell which way was up from the front.
Z
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
droid, game controller, rotation, screen rotate


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.