Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Android Lounge A place for general Android discussion and questions.

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM   #51 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,354
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 286 Times in 242 Posts
Default

I don't think "lag" is the right word. It's really a matter of difference of smoothness of scrolling. My Droid scrolls with no lag but visually it's not as smooth as iOS. I'd suspect the difference in GPU support plays the biggest part as well as how well the eyes of the user can pick up the difference.

takeshi is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
3gAndroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 277
 
Device(s): Captivate / Droid X / Droid 2 / Droid Incredible / HTC G2 / EVO / iPhone 4 / BlackBerry 9700
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I have both an iPhone 4 and a Captivate. Scrolling between these two is just different.

Personally I prefer the way Eclair v2.1 scrolls. I especially like the fact that if I accidentally touch the bar at the top of the display, it does not scroll all the way back to the top of the page as the iPhone does. I find the touch responsiveness of the iPhone 4 overly sensitive. The 3Gs was far better overall.

Yet that said for those of you that are unhappy with Android, try an iPhone it may be just what you're looking for. I use both for their individual strengths.
3gAndroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:11 AM   #53 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,492
 
Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xionsmith View Post
The reason is that iOS is designed for the iPhone hardware. Apple only has one phone, with a set hardware configuration. Android has to work with many different hardware configurations, so it uses generic drivers for everything.
^^^this^^^

Specialization; quite the stroke of genius by the Apple folks with regard to smartphones.
Frisco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:21 PM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
SupremeBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 282
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Like someone pointed out on the first page, its all down to the GPU!!

If Android implements GPU acceleration, your phones will fly. A lot of you here are saying how ur not experiencing any lag or stuttering, but that's because you've never used an iphone before. The scrolling, zooming etc is beautiful.

In fact, i think microsoft are releasing Internet explorer 9 soon, and it implements GPU acceleration. There were benchmarks where they tested a page with and without GPU acceleration. Without they were getting 12 fps, with GPU they are getting a solid 60 fps. It makes all the difference.

Im looking forward to Gingerbread and seeing if Google implements it. It will be huge news if they do.
SupremeBeaver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM   #55 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 20
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeBeaver View Post
Like someone pointed out on the first page, its all down to the GPU!!

If Android implements GPU acceleration, your phones will fly. A lot of you here are saying how ur not experiencing any lag or stuttering, but that's because you've never used an iphone before. The scrolling, zooming etc is beautiful.

In fact, i think microsoft are releasing Internet explorer 9 soon, and it implements GPU acceleration. There were benchmarks where they tested a page with and without GPU acceleration. Without they were getting 12 fps, with GPU they are getting a solid 60 fps. It makes all the difference.

Im looking forward to Gingerbread and seeing if Google implements it. It will be huge news if they do.
i have an iphone 4, and i dont really notice any difference in scrolling between ios and android.
zaftxx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:55 PM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Eazail70x7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 1,612
 
Device(s): Samsung Moment and Samsung Epic 4G (a Galaxy S phone)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 178
Thanked 111 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Keep in mind that some androids scroll smoother than others do. I've seen many side by side comparisons and can say that thus far, the galaxy s phones offer the smoothest scrolling and zooming experience, both on the home screens and in the browser.
__________________
[Android 2.2] is being open-sourced today. Everyone can start hacking on it right now, and start making it even better. - Google
Eazail70x7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:58 PM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
SupremeBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 282
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazail70x7 View Post
Keep in mind that some androids scroll smoother than others do. I've seen many side by side comparisons and can say that thus far, the galaxy s phones offer the smoothest scrolling and zooming experience, both on the home screens and in the browser.
Do you know why? Because Samsung implemented GPU acceleration themselves!
Samsung and Apple share a lot of tech. They use pretty much the same processors and im sure Samsung worked with Apple in getting GPU acceleration working on the SGS.
SupremeBeaver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:02 PM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 405
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 53 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
I don't think "lag" is the right word. It's really a matter of difference of smoothness of scrolling. My Droid scrolls with no lag but visually it's not as smooth as iOS. I'd suspect the difference in GPU support plays the biggest part as well as how well the eyes of the user can pick up the difference.
I think this is where a lot of people misinterpret what they are experiencing.

People get these words mixed up: Smooth and Fast

Smooth != Fast

On top of getting these two words mixed up, some can't tell the difference because A) They don't know what to look for B) They aren't that sensitive C) They've never seen superior ui scrolling/zooming/panning.

Smooth
When something moves from point A to point B with many transitions in between. For example 60 transitions or frames in between would be smoother than 30 transitions.

Fast
When something moves from point A to point B quickly. It takes 1 second to scroll from one point to another rather than 2 seconds.

As far as I know Android devices has "Fast" down for the most part, but it isn't "smooth". The only device that I know of that has both is the iPhone. This is simply because it incorporates GPU acceleration. The GPU is much more efficient and powerful than the CPU to handle such tasks.

Why else do you think ATI/NVIDIA cards handles all the physics in video games?

I've heard many users say their devices are smooth and fast but when I've tested them over and over, it's not true at all. For a smooth UI there must be GPU acceleration or a Dual Core CPU to compensate for the extra tasks.
MrX8503 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrX8503 For This Useful Post:
Crashdamage (October 10th, 2011)
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:57 PM   #59 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Eazail70x7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 1,612
 
Device(s): Samsung Moment and Samsung Epic 4G (a Galaxy S phone)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 178
Thanked 111 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Trust me, the Epic 4g is both smooth and fast in scrolling. The fps in scrolling and zooming is compatible to the iphone in most instances. The gallery is probably the most visually pleasing instance of this smoothness. I have an iphone and know exactly what you are talking about. I'm not saying the epic is smoother but it is thus far the closest to ios. (very close imo)
Eazail70x7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #60 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Samsung Epig 4G Touch D710
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MennoMan View Post
I have an Incredible (stock), and just tried comparing it to my daughter's iPod Touch. I can't see a difference in scroll, pinch, etc. responsiveness. I think the Incredible is very responsive.
Hi, not to be curt or rude, you're either fibbing or have not a clue of what we speak. I have never owned an IOS device and will likely never own one (I don't support egomaniacal despots), but both the touchscreen response and the refresh rates are terrible on Android. It is what's been halting me from buying a tablet. It is incredibly bad on android and the people at Google appear to be too stupid to notice the disparity and fix it fast, those imbeciles...still beats a tyrant on anyday.
COBug is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 20th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,615
 
Device(s): Droid X1, Droid 1, RAZR, Rezound, Maxx HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4,171
Thanked 361 Times in 280 Posts
Default

^Ok, MennoMan said on his Incredible. You said on Android.

HTC has done great things to Sense UI to make it smoother and more responsive than stock Android.

When you say Android, you have to realize Android is stock Android and Android mixed with:

Sense UI, Touchwiz, Blur, and whatever is on the LG and Sony phones, and whatever manufacture that has a phone with a custom UI.

And as Android get OS updates it improves. Different phones have different results. Take the Droid 1 vs the Droid X. The finger tracking is better on the Droid X. Could be a hardware thing. Even tho swiping homescreens on 2.1, 2.2 was laggier on the Droid X vs the Droid 1, the finger tracking is better on the Droid X.
__________________
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
jroc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #62 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

install miui on ur evo and problem solved....
mooseolly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #63 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseolly View Post
install miui on ur evo and problem solved....
Just a heads up; this thread has been dead for 4 months. No one's looking for help anymore. But feel free to discuss anew.
__________________

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Help me out: Sign up with Dropbox and we both get 500MB extra space. Thanks!
novox77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to novox77 For This Useful Post:
Slug (October 10th, 2011)
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Francisco
Gender: Male
Posts: 364
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 10
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default

iOs 4 is not so much smoother than my Galaxy S2, but I have to admit that only on iOS can you pan web pages and it sticks to your finger like a magnet, likely because of a patent Apple has on a touch technology. No matter how fantastic an Android hardware (S2 being the current pinnacle), I pan and scroll butterly smooth bit still notice the screen playing catchup. Apples patent is like McDs Big Mac sauce.. it's a trade secret closely guarded and key to their success.
adaaaam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM   #65 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Clueless programmers

Scrolling on Android is not smooth because the (Google) programmers did not know what smooth means, and probably did not think that it is important. Steve Jobs was a genius, because he knew what is important, and disposed all impecille staff hampering realization.

On my Milestone with Android 2.2, I can detect several bugs preventing a smooth scrolling experience; I think the programmers consider them features:

If I start dragging, the screen does not follow immediately, but with a delay of a fraction of a second. I think the user does not have the highest priority in this system, has he?

If I drag diagonally, the screen decides to move either exactly horizontal or vertical, and so drifts away from my finger. However, if I insist on diagonal (moving fast) it suddenly breaks free, and jerks up to the touch point. The system apparently thinks I want to move rectangular, but lack the motoric control. Well, I do not. Feels like using a mouse on a wire grid.

When scrolling over longer pages, the scroll continuously freezes, probably because graphics being prepared before they can appear on the screen. This is bad programming. First of all, the complete page should be prepared in an offscreen buffer, 256 MB is plenty of memory to do so even for the largest pages (remember, the GUI is the most important process on the device). And, secondly, if the graphics is not ready, an empty space (maybe a placeholder) should smoothly scroll in.

Finally, the hardware is bad; I think my touchscreen only has some 1 mm resolution, and thus cannot be expected to control a smooth scroll of a 300 dpi (~ 0.1 mm) display.
petersteier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:15 PM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 104
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I am really starting to think that it is a tech/patent thing. Even though some say it is due to multi-tasking being allowed in android. But with one app running, on a fresh start, it is still choppy. Its not like they don't notice the difference in 'smoothness' when testing/QA before a release...

I own all android, and im always jealous of the liquid feel on my friend's ipad...
jancat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:19 PM   #67 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,828
 
Device(s): GS5 GS4 TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersteier View Post
Scrolling on Android is not smooth because the (Google) programmers did not know what smooth means, and probably did not think that it is important. Steve Jobs was a genius, because he knew what is important, and disposed all impecille staff hampering realization.

On my Milestone with Android 2.2, I can detect several bugs preventing a smooth scrolling experience; I think the programmers consider them features:

If I start dragging, the screen does not follow immediately, but with a delay of a fraction of a second. I think the user does not have the highest priority in this system, has he?

If I drag diagonally, the screen decides to move either exactly horizontal or vertical, and so drifts away from my finger. However, if I insist on diagonal (moving fast) it suddenly breaks free, and jerks up to the touch point. The system apparently thinks I want to move rectangular, but lack the motoric control. Well, I do not. Feels like using a mouse on a wire grid.

When scrolling over longer pages, the scroll continuously freezes, probably because graphics being prepared before they can appear on the screen. This is bad programming. First of all, the complete page should be prepared in an offscreen buffer, 256 MB is plenty of memory to do so even for the largest pages (remember, the GUI is the most important process on the device). And, secondly, if the graphics is not ready, an empty space (maybe a placeholder) should smoothly scroll in.

Finally, the hardware is bad; I think my touchscreen only has some 1 mm resolution, and thus cannot be expected to control a smooth scroll of a 300 dpi (~ 0.1 mm) display.
Lol. How about you submit your finds to Google and make millions? ...right.. didn't think so.
__________________
Useful links: The Rules | The Team | FAQ | Unanswered Threads |
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:22 PM   #68 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chrlswltrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,741
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,174
Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,163 Posts
Default

I didn't read all the responses here, but the short answer is because iOS does so little and Android does so much!

But, my iPad 2 with iOS 5 really isn't that much smoother than my Nexus S. It is a little, but I also would not switch to an iPhone instead of android because my android phone is so much more powerful!!
__________________
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

-Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775
chrlswltrs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:30 PM   #69 (permalink)
Bnice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Maybe Apple just smooth played all you guys. I have seen the iphone with my own two eyes slow down, choppy, whatever you want to call it.
 
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:08 AM   #70 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Baldilocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Delaware, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,242
 
Device(s): HTC One X (International)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 54
Thanked 160 Times in 116 Posts
Default

It's all about the 2D GPU acceleration. iOS has always used it, Android, for the most part, doesn't. That should change with ICS.

That being said, the GS II is buttery smooth. No other Android phone on the market (and I have fooled around with most of them) don't even come close.
Baldilocks is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:46 AM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 232
 
Device(s): DINC2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Default

iOS is not faster than Android, it just tends to be smoother and, like others have said, I think it all comes down to GPU. If Android further uses GPU with ICS and continues to into the future, Android should be just as smooth as iOS.
__________________
Selling it dirt cheap so everybody can eat.
King_Bean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Francisco
Gender: Male
Posts: 364
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 10
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default

I can't wait to test out ICS to see if Google finally got it. I suspect it'll be damn close but still slightly noticeably off. I think Steve Jobs just got it right from the start, as it was a top priority. I played on old early iPhones whose pages stuck to my finger like magnets. I played on a TMo G1 (a very early Android) at around the same time, and it was clear that Google was trying to achieve an iPhone feel, but was way behind. It was so stuttery. Apple got it right years ago and Google still has not. It is definitely a patent and not hardware specs since Apple achieved it with ancient hardware.
adaaaam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:32 PM   #73 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default

For sure smoothness of scrolling was a priority for all of Apple's devices. I'm about halfway into Steve Jobs' biography, and it stated clearly that he put an emphasis on smooth scrolling the instant he saw Xerox's GUI and wanted to make it mainstream for the masses.

As much as I prefer Android over iOS, I do admire the smoothness and responsiveness of iOS touchscreens, as well as the pixel density that they market as "retina." My Evo 3D is much improved over the Evo 4G, but it's not quite as good as the iPhones. Wife's iPhone 4S touchscreen is amazing. If ICS can do that, Apple will lose a huge aesthetic/polish advantage.
novox77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 232
 
Device(s): DINC2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novox77 View Post
For sure smoothness of scrolling was a priority for all of Apple's devices. I'm about halfway into Steve Jobs' biography, and it stated clearly that he put an emphasis on smooth scrolling the instant he saw Xerox's GUI and wanted to make it mainstream for the masses.

As much as I prefer Android over iOS, I do admire the smoothness and responsiveness of iOS touchscreens, as well as the pixel density that they market as "retina." My Evo 3D is much improved over the Evo 4G, but it's not quite as good as the iPhones. Wife's iPhone 4S touchscreen is amazing. If ICS can do that, Apple will lose a huge aesthetic/polish advantage.
To me, aesthetic/polish is one of the three advantages iPhone has over Android, the other two being the availability of third party accessories and the refinement/quality of SOME apps available for iOS.

Of course, Android has some notable advantages over iOS, as well. If Android gains the smoothness of iOS with ICS, then Android will be even that much better than iOS (I already feel that Android is superior to iOS, for my wants/needs).
King_Bean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 01:10 PM   #75 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Well thank you all very much! Golly dag nabbit, I always thought scrolling on my Triumph was just dandy. Now apparently, it is too slow and I am pissed. Stop it right now.

Smiley.

Actually, I can only afford the one app so I never get much of a chance to scroll. In my personal life, I do not get the opportunity to do much "scrolling," either.

How about the phone buttons? Do the push faster on iOS or perhaps they make a better push buttony pushing sound. I should switch to an iPhone.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
2.2, android, evo, fps, froyo, ios, iphone, multitouch, smooth, touch


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.