I'm new here and also new to the whole smartphone business. So please excuse the novice questions
After reading a few articles online, I'm set on getting an Android smartphone but just don't know which android phone!! Especially since they seem to have different names depending on which country you're from (e.g., Droid in the States, Milestone in Canada).
Is it important to try to get the latest Android version? Since this is what I'm currently aiming at (I see only 2.1, though Videotron just released Google Nexus One w 2.2). Unless it is easy to just upgrade to the latest version when it's available online?
Since I've seen a few great phone reviews but if they don't have the latest Android, I don't believe it is worth it (such as Sony Ericsson Xperia X10).
I'll be using the phone mostly for:
- Voice (I'm getting rid of my home phone to have only one)
- Internet browsing (mostly just articles/RSS, not much games)
- Camera and video viewing/recording
I'm not tied to any carriers so I am free to choose. Though my employer has a special deal with Rogers, I'm more into getting a good device than a few dollars of a monthly bill. From what I can get our carriers have android 2.1/2.2 for:
- Bell: Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant, HTC Legend
- Telus: HTC Desire, Motorola Milestone, HTC Hero
- Virgin Mobile: HTC Legend
- Videotron: Google Nexus One (2.2), Motorola XT720 (milestone?)
- Rogers: Acer Liquid E, HTC MAgic+ (though one reviewer said it has Android 1.5 instead of 2.1),
Any guidance and insights from the community is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Related discussion: New smartphone recommendations