October 18th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why so hard to fix bugs?
Just updated to Gingerbread on my Galaxy S and see that really nothing has changed as far as irritating bugs. I'm not sure what Google is focusing on, but considering, at least I think, that most people use a phone for 1st, talking, and second Emailing or texting that these things would be flawless. Coming from a Blackberry I just cannot stand the email on this thing and it has not gotten one iota better. Seriously looking at Win phones if they ever get flash included.
- why do the email notifications not work all the time? Many times you go into email without a notification up and there are new emails. Sometimes I go into email after a noticiation, read the email, back out so there are no new emails now but as soon as I back to the home screen a notification pops up for a new email.. go into email and no new email.. this is new on GB.
- why does the phone ignore the email update time setting? I can pick up the phone sometimes in the morning and when I go into email all of a sudden a flood of emails start coming in after opening... some from the day before many many hours ago. Not as bad in GB but still there.
- After updating the phone seemed faster, then all of a sudden bogged down severely to almost the point of being unuseable. Later in the day I was in email and noticed all email accounts had 1000 emails in them. I went to check the setting and ya, still had it set to 100. After I checked that one account it started to remove the emails down to the 100 point, but at a rate of 2 or 3 every 3 or 4 seconds. Needless to say with 5 email accounts this took hours as the phone slowly purged itself. When done I checked all settings and all were at my original 100. Thank god this happened while on wifi.
- Some emails take forever to load even though its a paragraph of text. Is there a push option anywhere??? God if BBerry ever came out with a samsung style OLED phone with BB running I would switch in a second.
- Some emails on wifi come up as 'null' now.
- There is no choice to 'mark all as read'. Sometimes I read the emails on a computer! ya really! When I go to the phone all are there after a day as unread.. sucks having to open and close each or just leave them and see your account show so many unread emails all the time.. that makes showing the total unread emails a useless feature.
- I have tried to download apps now and get a 'not enough room on device' or something like that I never saw before even with GB of room.
- Apps ignore phone volume setting and still play sounds even if on silent mode. Not sure if this still has the bug with navigation where after running the sounds are all maxed out.. assume it probably does because I don't see much work on the visible bugs at all by google in this release.
- Sometimes when there are updates there is a choice to 'update all', and sometimes there is not..making you have to go through each one.
- Call forwarding
- I have call forwarding turned off, yet the icon is still in the upper left corner of the screen. The other 3 choices have phone numbers inserted into the field, and cannot be turned off (I get an error).. so even though there is no call forwarding on or working, I have this icon up all the time.
- Why when you go to back up contacts to the sim does it create a duplicate copy with the name reversed? If you have 'Smith, Bob' in your main phone contacts to search by last name in the S's, then save all your contacts to sim card for safety or when updating, it will save a duplicate but that name would now show up as 'Bob Smith' in the B's.. so you have to go through and delete every friggin duplicate that has a simcard icon beside it.
I'm sure there are more but these are just the main ones off the top of my head.
Having to wait so long between updates, not knowing if your phone will support a future update are pretty well turning me away from Android. On a pc, if a company like Nvidia releases a vieo card, they continue to provide updates for it pretty well forever through their regular driver updates. I couldn't care less if I got a new version of android, but at least if Google provided updates like Microsoft does for windows as things are found out, and fixed, that would be something. Having the same blatant and visible bugs show up after waiting months and months for updates is unnacceptable especially in things like email, which is just atrocious.
end of rant..
Last edited by tester007; October 18th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.