So, according to the current exchange rates, £250 = US$401. With that said, and my admission that I own a Galaxy Nexus, I recommend you buy a Galaxy Nexus direct from google for US$350.
- You will be buying direct from google and not have to worry about buying it "new" on ebay, etc. So, you will be dealing direct with the Android mothership regarding their current signature product. So, if you ever have a need arise for support for your phone, you can assume google will still be around and wanting to help you.
- It will be unlocked (I assume you are in UK)
- won't involve your carrier contract. No renewing the contract to get a subsidized phone, etc.
- You will have pure Jelly Bean (no bloatware) and get updates immediately and directly from google and not have to cross your fingers and hope to catch up to everyone soon-ish
- from what you described above, you are not gaming or graphic intensive. So, the social apps you will download should run great.
- the phone I admit is not out of this world, but at 5mp and video in HD, it should be fine enough for someone who wants "a half decent camera"
- memory: 16gb may be an issue for some. It is not for me. There is no SD card slot, so be aware you will always have 16gb of memory.