Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Android Lounge A place for general Android discussion and questions.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree28Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,523
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks: 234
Thanked 263 Times in 198 Posts
Default Nexus Line: Lack of Storage is Disturbing

So I fully understand that Google wants you to put all your pictures, music, movies, and documents in their cloud, got it. But that doesn't work for me. While I have all my music located on Google Music I still have to keep it on my SD card because DLNA servers don't understand the file type that Google Music saves it under.

Also, this is 2012, space is cheap. I can not for the life of me understand why they are still offering 8GB and 16GB models. It should stand as 16gb and 32gb or even better 32gb and 64gb.

And while we are at it, why not just include an SD card slot? This would solve the issue of increase cost (if there is one) of putting more space on the phones/tablets. It's crazy that Googles premier phones are coming out with a max of 16GB of space.

Lucky for me I see that they are finally putting out a 32GB Nexus 7 which finally allows me to seriously consider it. 13GB are already accounted for my music.
Satires likes this.

__________________
Past Devices: Google Nexus One (sold), Samsung Galaxy S2 (sold), B&N Nook (returned), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (sold), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (On the Shelf)
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy S3 (AOKP), Nexus 7 (Stock), Chromecast

Mostly Harmless is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mostly Harmless For This Useful Post:
Gmash (October 30th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ExtremeNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: STL
Gender: Male
Posts: 744
 
Device(s): SGS 3, HTC Glacier, Skypad A2, Viewsonic G Tab
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 51
Thanked 237 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Google it.

Google has made it clear why they're not including a SD card slot, and it's not just to get people into the cloud.

The reason there is so "little" storage is because most users don't need 64GB. Add to the fact Google is targeting a specific price point, $299, for their phone. That's unlocked. Google is focusing on the bigger picture of making an amazing device, while keeping the cost low enough to be attractive to common users.
__________________
The Commandments of Android
1) Open RAM is wasted RAM - Don't use Task Killers
2) Cheap devices are cheap for a reason. Don't expect high end performance.
3) Boot Loop = Wipe.
4) There are no viruses for android.
ExtremeNerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExtremeNerd For This Useful Post:
Bexy (November 19th, 2012), Crashdamage (October 30th, 2012), Digital Controller (October 29th, 2012)
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Real Bass Creator
 
Digital Controller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,683
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 with JellyBeans 6, Nexus 7, (RIP) Galaxy Nexus with 4.4 SlimKat, (RIP) Droid Incredibl
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 526
Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,806 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeNerd View Post
Google it.

Google has made it clear why they're not including a SD card slot, and it's not just to get people into the cloud.

The reason there is so "little" storage is because most users don't need 64GB. Add to the fact Google is targeting a specific price point, $299, for their phone. That's unlocked. Google is focusing on the bigger picture of making an amazing device, while keeping the cost low enough to be attractive to common users.
This This this ^

You see how much Apple charges for the increase in Storage, its about 100 dollars per 8gb increase, which is kind of crazy, but that's what it goes for. Therefore, you can see Google trying to get into a lower price market so that more people that can't afford a 700$ iPhone can afford their 300$ Nexus line phone.
__________________
Want Faster help? Read this before posting!

I love this community and so should you! So before posting please read:
Site Rules & Guidelines and Android FAQ's
Digital Controller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gtbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,843
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 (US - GSM) and Nexus 7 (2013). All stock
Carrier: t-mobile (USA)

Thanks: 132
Thanked 701 Times in 520 Posts
Default

I agree that expandable storage is peace of mind, but I don't think it is necessary.

I have 16gb - about 40% taken up and a 3.5gb of that is taken up by wikipedia offline.

I am a bit quirky though in that I don't load up on MP3s (I carry an ipod nano so that I can listen to music/podcasts as long as I want and not worry about my phone battery) and I am really good about removing pics and vids (out of fear of a lost phone).

Plus when I had an SD card I drove myself nuts by pulling the phone from my computer that I forgot had the card mounted and then the card would not reset, etc. etc.
gtbarry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,546
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,016
Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts
Default

Yeah, I have used up most of my N7's 16GB, mainly because of apps and books for my kids. I still think 32GB is the sweet spot.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Hadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dimension Jumping
Posts: 11,545
 
Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanks: 2,153
Thanked 4,781 Times in 3,474 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbarry View Post
I agree that expandable storage is peace of mind, but I don't think it is necessary.

I have 16gb - about 40% taken up and a 3.5gb of that is taken up by wikipedia offline.

I am a bit quirky though in that I don't load up on MP3s (I carry an ipod nano so that I can listen to music/podcasts as long as I want and not worry about my phone battery) and I am really good about removing pics and vids (out of fear of a lost phone).
I do carry music on my phone, plus a couple of nandroid backups, and I typically have 26-27GB of my sd card used. Given that "32GB" of flash memory only stores 29.8GB of data (the old "digital vs binary units" con), that the quoted capacity of a phone generally includes the system software (so not all of it's available to the user) and a nandroid would be larger on a newer phone, I'm not sure that even 32GB is enough for me. And while I don't do video on my phone, can I be sure I won't want to at any point in the next couple of years? So while it's not necessary for a lot of people, for some of us it is.

"Keep it in the cloud" doesn't suit me, and I don't care that Google think it's what I should do. Actually I think the storage bump in the N7 shows that they have become aware that not everyone buys this (they were apparently surprised that the 16GB N7 outsold the 8GB version).

But hey, I didn't expect anything else, so I can't say I'm disappointed
saptech likes this.
__________________
Forum Rules & Guidelines - Android Forums FAQ
If a post helps you, use the Thanks! button.
Spam or offensive? Don't respond, report it /!\
Hadron is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hadron For This Useful Post:
Mostly Harmless (October 29th, 2012), saptech (October 29th, 2012)
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ExtremeNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: STL
Gender: Male
Posts: 744
 
Device(s): SGS 3, HTC Glacier, Skypad A2, Viewsonic G Tab
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 51
Thanked 237 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
Yeah, I have used up most of my N7's 16GB, mainly because of apps and books for my kids. I still think 32GB is the sweet spot.
I agree with you personally, but disagree with you on a business level. Why would Google offer something that 70%+ of it's users don't need? Outside of us power users, there are few common users I can think of who use that much. The fact we're on an andriod site makes us outsiders. We are the 1%.

Not to mention, common users view the iPhone as the standard still. They don't have a SD card slot, and no one minds.

Personally, I bought the GS3 over waiting for the nexus because I want the SD storage. I have a 32gb card I swap between my devices, and that is something I wouldn't trade. That's the beauty of choice.
ExtremeNerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,523
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks: 234
Thanked 263 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadron View Post
I do carry music on my phone, plus a couple of nandroid backups, and I typically have 26-27GB of my sd card used. Given that "32GB" of flash memory only stores 29.8GB of data (the old "digital vs binary units" con), that the quoted capacity of a phone generally includes the system software (so not all of it's available to the user) and a nandroid would be larger on a newer phone, I'm not sure that even 32GB is enough for me. And while I don't do video on my phone, can I be sure I won't want to at any point in the next couple of years? So while it's not necessary for a lot of people, for some of us it is.

"Keep it in the cloud" doesn't suit me, and I don't care that Google think it's what I should do. Actually I think the storage bump in the N7 shows that they have become aware that not everyone buys this (they were apparently surprised that the 16GB N7 outsold the 8GB version).

But hey, I didn't expect anything else, so I can't say I'm disappointed
^ This

They don't even have to add anymore memory, just give us an SD slot, it cost them nothing to add it.

13GB is already dedicated to my music, so that leaves me with 3GB (or less) for pictures, videos, backups, apps, etc.....

Plus why not just give us the choice? Make a 64 GB version people would by it.
Mostly Harmless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ExtremeNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: STL
Gender: Male
Posts: 744
 
Device(s): SGS 3, HTC Glacier, Skypad A2, Viewsonic G Tab
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 51
Thanked 237 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
^ This

They don't even have to add anymore memory, just give us an SD slot, it cost them nothing to add it.

13GB is already dedicated to my music, so that leaves me with 3GB (or less) for pictures, videos, backups, apps, etc.....

Plus why not just give us the choice? Make a 64 GB version people would by it.
Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central

People won't buy it. Or rather, enough won't sell to justify the cost of production. It's just not necessary. The Nexus line are already a niche phone, why segment their sales even more? 20% of iPhone users bought the largest iPhone. That's not really enough to bother producing for Google.
ExtremeNerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,523
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks: 234
Thanked 263 Times in 198 Posts
Default

And we are relying on cloud storage when cell phone companies are tightening there data plans and charging more for data. Soon enough you will be paying (in data fees) to listen to your own music.
Mostly Harmless is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
And we are relying on cloud storage when cell phone companies are tightening there data plans and charging more for data. Soon enough you will be paying (in data fees) to listen to your own music.
And you will also be paying to watch your own photos and videos! And any other of your own, private files!
While Big Brother has free 'unfettered' access to everything! EVERYTHING!
Summer17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,762
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 868 Times in 698 Posts
Default

Can't put stuff on cloud. Most of mine is databases that need to be built in.

You tend to use these where there is no service of any kind. No service, no cloud. I've used almost 3/4 of 16G on tablet. Almost the same on phone. I'd like to be able to add more of these guides as they become available without having to make a choice.

At least my Acer A500 uses both an external card and a USB stick so entertainment can be put there and leave room in the memory for more important stuff.
__________________
Sent by UFO
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,523
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks: 234
Thanked 263 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswebb View Post
For most users, 16GB is enough. The main reason is that Google want to keep the cost low enough to be attractive to common users, in order to compete with iPad. It is an advantage, compared to the high price of iPad.
I understand that but at least give us an SD slot, it cost nothing to put in.
Mostly Harmless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ExtremeNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: STL
Gender: Male
Posts: 744
 
Device(s): SGS 3, HTC Glacier, Skypad A2, Viewsonic G Tab
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 51
Thanked 237 Times in 148 Posts
Default Why Nexus phones don't have a SD card slot

This is being discussed in multiple threads, but I thought it was important enough to merit its own topic. Here is a quote directly from Google's own Matias Duarte, head of Android, explaining the situation.

Why donít Nexus devices have SD cards?

Everybody likes the idea of having an SD card, but in reality itís just confusing for users.

If youíre saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? Should there be a setting? Prompt everytime? What happens to the experience when you swap out the card? Itís just too complicated.

We take a different approach. Your Nexus has a fixed amount of space and your apps just seamlessly use it for you without you ever having to worry about files or volumes or any of that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing.

With a Nexus you know exactly how much storage you get upfront and you can decide whatís the right size for you. Thatís simple and good for users.


Makes perfect sense to me. This is now a mainstream phone, not a developer device. Marketing to the masses.

Courtesy of T-mo News
ExtremeNerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Still nothing stopping them from making a 32gb variant.
Ayhio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

When I had my GS2,this is how my storage space was taken:
6GB only for HD games(I'm a heavy gamer).
Around 200MB of mp3 songs<---always increasing but not by a huge rate,maybe a new 3MB song every 2 weeks and I might delete some songs if I stopped listening to them for a long time.
200MB for pics and some non-photographic pics for wallpapers.
Nearly 1GB of recorded 1080P videos,I moved them to my PC because I rarely watched them anyways.When it comes to watching videos,I watch them 99% of the time on youtube which is online(duh).
Around 500MB of apps.
And rest of the space was taken by a titanium backup folder,some ROM/mods/themes zips etc and I still had like 200MB.

Considering that always keeping the titanium backup folder and the ROMs is not important(on the phone at least),I could have more than 2GB free memory and that's because the GS2 got 11GB useable memory,the nexus 4 should have 13GB useable like the gnex so I would have 4GB free memory.

I think 16gb is OK for me,still 32GB would be more welcome just for peace of mind that I still got plenty of space for songs,1080P videos and pics.

My bigger concern about this device is the fact that it's manufactured by LG.I don't know if their customer support is good...And if the battery can be replaced in their service centers if it started to age or completely die.
Ayhio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK- East Anglia
Posts: 298
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I would certainly be swayed to the line of nexus devices but lack of sd put me off.

I even eyed up the HTC one range but found they don't had sd storage either so was disappointed!

That's the reason im now going to look at the s3 because of the sd slot! Shame really
JR866Gooner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ExtremeNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: STL
Gender: Male
Posts: 744
 
Device(s): SGS 3, HTC Glacier, Skypad A2, Viewsonic G Tab
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 51
Thanked 237 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR866Gooner View Post
I would certainly be swayed to the line of nexus devices but lack of sd put me off.

I even eyed up the HTC one range but found they don't had sd storage either so was disappointed!

That's the reason im now going to look at the s3 because of the sd slot! Shame really
It's not a shame at all. It's called a choice. Welcome to what Android is all about.
ExtremeNerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,009
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 208
Thanked 572 Times in 450 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeNerd View Post
With a Nexus you know exactly how much storage you get upfront and you can decide whatís the right size for you. Thatís simple and good for users.
The right size for me is 32GB. It's not good for users who want more than 16GB.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Hadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dimension Jumping
Posts: 11,545
 
Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanks: 2,153
Thanked 4,781 Times in 3,474 Posts
Default

I do have 2 problems with the argument as presented by the Google exec:

1) "It's too complicated" - if you're an idiot, perhaps. The biggest selling android phones have this though, and while I've heard plenty of people say they bought a Samsung because they have an sd slot, people who buy fixed storage phones never say it's because sd is too complicated

2) "You can pick the size you want" - only we won't offer it. In fact with the GNex they didn't offer a choice at all in most of the world, just one size, and with the N4 it's "same as the GNex or worse" .

So the second is clearly disingenuous at best, and the first seems objectively wrong

The beauty of an expansion slot is that you can cater to people's different requirements without incurring the production and distribution costs of making different capacity phones. Maybe that's why the people who make money selling the phones mostly still have them.
T.M.M.L, saptech and G8pcw like this.
Hadron is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hadron For This Useful Post:
breadnatty08 (October 31st, 2012), Gmash (October 31st, 2012), Mostly Harmless (October 30th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 107
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeNerd View Post
This is being discussed in multiple threads, but I thought it was important enough to merit its own topic. Here is a quote directly from Google's own Matias Duarte, head of Android, explaining the situation.

Why donít Nexus devices have SD cards?

Everybody likes the idea of having an SD card, but in reality itís just confusing for users.

If youíre saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? Should there be a setting? Prompt everytime? What happens to the experience when you swap out the card? Itís just too complicated.

We take a different approach. Your Nexus has a fixed amount of space and your apps just seamlessly use it for you without you ever having to worry about files or volumes or any of that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing.

With a Nexus you know exactly how much storage you get upfront and you can decide whatís the right size for you. Thatís simple and good for users.


Makes perfect sense to me. This is now a mainstream phone, not a developer device. Marketing to the masses.

Courtesy of T-mo News
This stinks of something Apple would say....
T.M.M.L likes this.
mrbutters is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrbutters For This Useful Post:
Gmash (October 31st, 2012)
Old October 30th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ExtremeNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: STL
Gender: Male
Posts: 744
 
Device(s): SGS 3, HTC Glacier, Skypad A2, Viewsonic G Tab
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 51
Thanked 237 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbutters View Post
This stinks of something Apple would say....
If by that you mean a successful, once borderline monopolistic phone manufacturer, then yes, you'd be right. Find a study that shows the average user uses a significant portion of 32gb. You won't find it. We are NOT average users.
ExtremeNerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Real Bass Creator
 
Digital Controller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,683
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 with JellyBeans 6, Nexus 7, (RIP) Galaxy Nexus with 4.4 SlimKat, (RIP) Droid Incredibl
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 526
Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,806 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeNerd View Post
If by that you mean a successful, once borderline monopolistic phone manufacturer, then yes, you'd be right. Find a study that shows the average user uses a significant portion of 32gb. You won't find it. We are NOT average users.
Probably the best thing i have ever heard anyone say.

This forum usually has many smartphone enthusiasts and people who tinker with their devices beyond what they should.

We, in this equation, are considered the 1%, the rest of the world who has smartphones, uses them as they come stock, and do not mess with anything else.

Others are fine with a standard 16/32GB without having to mess with dual storage and such, because with a standard user they get confused and scared when things aren't where they are supposed to be.

I applaud google for trying to set a standard for their device because ultimately they are trying to make it easier for the regular user.
Digital Controller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,523
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks: 234
Thanked 263 Times in 198 Posts
Default

I don't applaud them at all, give the user a choice, android has always been about choice. Offer a 16GB model with an SD Slot. You don't have to give the user an SD card.
saptech likes this.
Mostly Harmless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Clementine_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Down in the park where the Machmen meet the machines and play 'kill by numbers'
Posts: 2,155
 
Device(s): Moto X developer edition
Carrier: Over-priced stooopid Verizon

Thanks: 465
Thanked 602 Times in 496 Posts
Default

Put the slot on the phone, don't ship it with a card. If you are smart enough to know you want more storage you are smart enough to buy a card and figure out how to use it.
Of course, if you can't do that and run out of room there is always the obvious answer...store everything in Google's cloud. That's really what they are hoping for, they aren't fooling anyone.
Clementine_3 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine_3 For This Useful Post:
Gmash (October 31st, 2012), Rxpert83 (October 31st, 2012), saptech (October 30th, 2012)
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
T.M.M.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 464
 
Device(s): S3,HTC Incredible 2,Samsung Fascinate, Former L.G. Dare,
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 22
Thanked 93 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine_3 View Post
Put the slot on the phone, don't ship it with a card. If you are smart enough to know you want more storage you are smart enough to buy a card and figure out how to use it.
Of course, if you can't do that and run out of room there is always the obvious answer...store everything in Google's cloud. That's really what they are hoping for, they aren't fooling anyone.

Can't be any more simple than that. You kill 2 birds with one stone.

For the average users, whom I think the Google execs think need to be lead around like lost sheep, you have a phone with one dedicated location of memory. No way to misplace your stuff.

{Google exec}...
Oh, and when your space runs out, allow us to introduce you to this nifty little service we have.

For the powers users, like us, you have the option to increase your memory needs as you see fit.

{Google exec}...
You guys suck!!. You understand bandwidth costs and limited "Share all data" policies.

This is more about Cloud services and increasing revenue. I don't fault them for trying to make a profit, but don't insult my intelligence with the smoke and mirrors B.S.


Edit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeNerd View Post
If by that you mean a successful, once borderline monopolistic phone manufacturer, then yes, you'd be right. Find a study that shows the average user uses a significant portion of 32gb. You won't find it. We are NOT average users.
My wife, who is about as far from a power user/tinkerer as it gets, has a 32 gig Iphone 4 that is filled to the brim with music.

That's just using the device as it is meant to be used.

It's not that far fetched to think that 16 gig is incredibly limited.
Stuntman, saptech and Ssscrudddy like this.
__________________
Ima Champion!!!
____________________
T.M.M.L is offline  
Last edited by T.M.M.L; October 30th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Omar Days's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,006
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 132
Thanked 184 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeNerd View Post
It's not a shame at all. It's called a choice. Welcome to what Android is all about.
Choice which seems to be shrinking. I hope Samsung doesn't start following everyone else by removing sd slots from their devices too
Omar Days is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK- East Anglia
Posts: 298
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Indeed there is choice but the alternative to Samsung is nexus or HTC if you want a decent higher end phone but the alternatives have no slot!! Just because it has a slot doesn't mean you have to have a card-its an added bonus i think!
JR866Gooner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ExtremeNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: STL
Gender: Male
Posts: 744
 
Device(s): SGS 3, HTC Glacier, Skypad A2, Viewsonic G Tab
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 51
Thanked 237 Times in 148 Posts
Default

The level of venom and hatred regarding this phone is pathetic. It is a phone, an expensive toy. Some of you act like Google ran over your dog. How is this any different from iPhone users who get pissed off when they don't get features they want? If you don't like the product offered, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet. Simple solution.
ExtremeNerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Hadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dimension Jumping
Posts: 11,545
 
Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanks: 2,153
Thanked 4,781 Times in 3,474 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Days View Post
Choice which seems to be shrinking. I hope Samsung doesn't start following everyone else by removing sd slots from their devices too
Trends can reverse - Sony re-added them recently, after removing them from the previous generation.
Hadron is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,009
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 208
Thanked 572 Times in 450 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
^ This

They don't even have to add anymore memory, just give us an SD slot, it cost them nothing to add it.

13GB is already dedicated to my music, so that leaves me with 3GB (or less) for pictures, videos, backups, apps, etc.....

Plus why not just give us the choice? Make a 64 GB version people would by it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswebb View Post
For most users, 16GB is enough. The main reason is that Google want to keep the cost low enough to be attractive to common users, in order to compete with iPad. It is an advantage, compared to the high price of iPad.
On my SGS3, I got the 32GB version. Apparently I only have 26GB available. The breakdown of my storage is as follows:

-- Apps: 2GB
-- Pictures, Videos: 700MB
-- Audio (music, etc.): 12GB
-- Misc.: 300MB
-- Available: 11GB

No way that 16GB is going to be good enough for me. Oh, and Google Music is not available in my country. Even so, I wouldn't have been able to listen to my music while I was on a plane as I would not be online.
Stuntman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
T.M.M.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 464
 
Device(s): S3,HTC Incredible 2,Samsung Fascinate, Former L.G. Dare,
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 22
Thanked 93 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeNerd View Post
The level of venom and hatred regarding this phone is pathetic. It is a phone, an expensive toy. Some of you act like Google ran over your dog. How is this any different from iPhone users who get pissed off when they don't get features they want? If you don't like the product offered, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet. Simple solution.

I have absolutely no hatred at all for this device. Not one ounce of venom was directed at the phone by me. I took exception with a suit spouting rhetoric to the ignorant masses about why they decided what they did.

Like I posted earlier, I have no qualms about a company trying to increase the bottom line, just don't B.S. me about it.

Stand and proclaim from the rooftops.."We want you to have to rely on our services.. So we will steer you in a way that almost guarantees you'll have to do as we want!!"

Wouldn't sell as many phones, but at least they would be honest about it.
Mostly Harmless likes this.
T.M.M.L is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T.M.M.L For This Useful Post:
Mostly Harmless (October 31st, 2012)
Old October 31st, 2012, 04:30 AM   #33 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,662
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,944
Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,791 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
I understand that but at least give us an SD slot, it cost nothing to put in.
Actually it does cost something to put in. May only be ten cents per device. But if they're making say ten million of these things. That's a million dollars.

It's quite easy actually...want an SD-card slot? - then buy a phone or tablet with an SD-card slot.
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 04:35 AM   #34 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,662
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,944
Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,791 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer17 View Post
And you will also be paying to watch your own photos and videos! And any other of your own, private files!
While Big Brother has free 'unfettered' access to everything! EVERYTHING!
Is Big Brother really interested in your Adele, Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber MP3s? If really got something to hide and must be confidential, then don't store it in the cloud, certainly Google's cloud.

I use Google's cloud for storing contacts, e-mail and calendar. Nothing else though, because most of Google's cloud services are not available here.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; October 31st, 2012 at 04:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:52 AM   #35 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,523
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks: 234
Thanked 263 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M.M.L View Post
I have absolutely no hatred at all for this device. Not one ounce of venom was directed at the phone by me. I took exception with a suit spouting rhetoric to the ignorant masses about why they decided what they did.

Like I posted earlier, I have no qualms about a company trying to increase the bottom line, just don't B.S. me about it.

Stand and proclaim from the rooftops.."We want you to have to rely on our services.. So we will steer you in a way that almost guarantees you'll have to do as we want!!"

Wouldn't sell as many phones, but at least they would be honest about it.
x100

Best post in a long time.
Mostly Harmless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:01 AM   #36 (permalink)
Need Beer and Mustard
 
breadnatty08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: District of Columbia
Posts: 17,770
 
Device(s): LG G2, Moto G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7, HTC Flyer
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,731
Thanked 5,420 Times in 3,573 Posts
Default

32gb on my GNex is fine. I don't store a lot of media or other data on it. But, I also understand why Google is going with solely internal storage.
Remember when apps to SD was new? Remember how many people were (and still are) confused about where to move their apps and other media to conserve space?
I think it makes sense not to partition the space on your device. What I have a problem with is how low they're going. 8/16 Gb? Not enough. A nandroid for my N7 is nearly 3Gb alone.
__________________
New to the forum? Check out the FAQ
Haven't signed up? Join the best Android Forum out there!
Sign up here
breadnatty08 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:07 AM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
pool_shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,385
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 71
Thanked 496 Times in 372 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to pool_shark
Default

This thread is so complicated, what's an sd card?
mikedt likes this.
pool_shark is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pool_shark For This Useful Post:
Ayhio (October 31st, 2012)
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:18 AM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 marble white US version
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

In this day and age apps and music take up an incredible about of space. The dark night game alone was close to 2gb (1.8 i think) in of itself. On a 8gb unit you are talking about 20% of the storage going to just that game alone. Plus anyone in the know, knows that 8gb means like 7.something plus the OS on top of that which isnt a tiny file. I just don't see how 8 or even 16gb worth of space are even close to relevant anymore. 32gb or expandable memory or the producers need to figure out how to make things smaller in size. I have a mere 1100 songs on my phone with a couple vids and its close to 6gb. My sister who i consider the person they are making these "everyone" phones for has almost 20,000 songs......you really expect the avg user to pony up on cloud space or trust it with that kinda music collection. The avg person will not totally understand or trust a microSD........but will a cloud service....most won't even really understand that let alone be willing to but $20,000 dollars worth of music on it.


side note my sister is 36 and has made that collection over many many many years lol
spencer808 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:22 AM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,322
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,114
Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,099 Posts
Default

Those who are defending this need to stop drinking the Kool-Ade. A fanboy is a fanboy, be it Apple or Google. Most of us don't want Android turning into an Apple clone.
__________________
"Machete don't text"
Gmash is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:29 AM   #40 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,144
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,678
Thanked 11,805 Times in 6,802 Posts
Default

One thing that hasn't been brought up is multiple user profiles.

Many believe this feature is only a small update away, and its already shipping on the nexus 10.

A sd card with the way most of them are formatted have no sense of ownership. They cannot be used in s device with more than one owner. It's not feasible .
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
Crashdamage (October 31st, 2012)
sponsored links
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:42 AM   #41 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

My theory revolves around what I can see, so keep that in mind:

When Android devices were first launched, you had some internal memory (that the OS used) and if you wanted more, you had to use an SD card (sometimes pre-packaged with it). Your internally stored stuff was kept in /data, and your SD card was partitioned in /sdcard. So when apps and (mostly) games needed more room to put stuff, they just put it in /sdcard.

Then came fixed memory. Google needed to make it work with those apps that relied on /sdcard to store stuff. So they just partitioned /data/media to be called /sdcard. But what about actual SD cards? Their answer appears to be "just don't install SD card slots" and no one will really notice. Google seems to refuse to code a solution for SD cards, hoping the problem will just go away if they do not include SD cards in their Nexus devices.

The evidence for this is in the Android devices you have that have fixed memory and SD cards. Especially for devices that came shipped with HC / ICS. I have an Acer tablet, a Samsung phone, and an Asus tablet. All three have fixed memory and an SD card slot. All three partition the SD card slot as something named differently than the others. One will call it /EXT_SDCARD, the other /EXTSDCARD, and I think the other one calls it "/extmemory", which leads me to believe that each company had to code in their own SD solution.

So that's my theory on why the Nexus line does not have SD cards. If they support USB OTG, then it's not that big of a problem, because you can get SD to USB adapters, but it is more annoying if you constantly rely on the SD card. For an occasional use, it works, though.
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:46 AM   #42 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
This thread is so complicated, what's an sd card?
LOL,well played
Ayhio is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ayhio For This Useful Post:
pool_shark (October 31st, 2012)
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:54 AM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,322
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,114
Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,099 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
One thing that hasn't been brought up is multiple user profiles.

Many believe this feature is only a small update away, and its already shipping on the nexus 10.

A sd card with the way most of them are formatted have no sense of ownership. They cannot be used in s device with more than one owner. It's not feasible .
Why would anyone need multiple user profiles on a phone? I can see on a tablet, but a phone is almost by definition a personal device. And wouldn't that call for even more memory?
Gmash is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:05 AM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crashdamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 2,315
 
Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 1,692
Thanked 526 Times in 441 Posts
Default

No doubt some users will find multiple accounts handy on a phone. But it's probably more about keeping Android for phones and tablets unified as much as possible.
__________________
Registered Linux user #266531 since 2001. Android user since v1.0.
Crashdamage is offline  
Last edited by Crashdamage; October 31st, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:17 AM   #45 (permalink)
Carpe Cerevisi
 
iowabowtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In The Shadows
Posts: 9,474
 
Device(s): LG G2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 4,729
Thanked 6,561 Times in 3,489 Posts
Default

Rooted phone without sdcard > bad flash > no nand backup > adb required. That's far more confusing to root noobs than the presence of an sdcard imo.

SDcards are good. Plus they allow for the expansion of storage to the user's discretion. Isn't end user choice what Android is all about? To me, this just sounds Apple-esque. You're going to either pay x amount for 16Gb or y amount for 32Gb and you're gonna like it.
iowabowtech is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:11 AM   #46 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,422
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,651
Thanked 10,877 Times in 5,527 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabowtech View Post
Isn't end user choice what Android is all about?
Yup, which is why we should be thankful that the likes of Samsung etc still provide expandable memory. It's not like Google are saying "all Android devices must not have microSD slots", after all. Those to whom the feature is essential still have plenty of choice.
Crashdamage and ExtremeNerd like this.
Slug is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slug For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (October 31st, 2012)
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:21 AM   #47 (permalink)
Carpe Cerevisi
 
iowabowtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In The Shadows
Posts: 9,474
 
Device(s): LG G2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 4,729
Thanked 6,561 Times in 3,489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
Yup, which is why we should be thankful that the likes of Samsung etc still provide expandable memory. It's not like Google are saying "all Android devices must not have microSD slots", after all. Those to whom the feature is essential still have plenty of choice.
Well said. But, Google is also the primary representative for Android in my mind anyway. So, I think their opinion may weigh heavily on manufacturers future decisions. Kinda like the boss at work. When he/she comes up with a big idea, people tend to go along with it most generally.
iowabowtech is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:27 AM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ExtremeNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: STL
Gender: Male
Posts: 744
 
Device(s): SGS 3, HTC Glacier, Skypad A2, Viewsonic G Tab
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 51
Thanked 237 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabowtech View Post
Well said. But, Google is also the primary representative for Android in my mind anyway. So, I think their opinion may weigh heavily on manufacturers future decisions. Kinda like the boss at work. When he/she comes up with a big idea, people tend to go along with it most generally.
That's not true at all. All current Samsung phones still have the "Home" button. What's good for one isn't always good for all.
ExtremeNerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:30 AM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Poor Saint Lucie, Florida
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): LG Esteem LG Optimus M
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 74
Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Google drive is what...5gigs per email address? Another 30 gigs would be 6...play their game
You get free cloud storage and they get more emails to data mine. Only issue would be if you need w/e file on your device.
dden4012 is offline  
Last edited by dden4012; October 31st, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:31 AM   #50 (permalink)
I ain't nobody!
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,545
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 572
Thanked 768 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
My theory revolves around what I can see, so keep that in mind:

When Android devices were first launched, you had some internal memory (that the OS used) and if you wanted more, you had to use an SD card (sometimes pre-packaged with it). Your internally stored stuff was kept in /data, and your SD card was partitioned in /sdcard. So when apps and (mostly) games needed more room to put stuff, they just put it in /sdcard.

Then came fixed memory. Google needed to make it work with those apps that relied on /sdcard to store stuff. So they just partitioned /data/media to be called /sdcard. But what about actual SD cards? Their answer appears to be "just don't install SD card slots" and no one will really notice. Google seems to refuse to code a solution for SD cards, hoping the problem will just go away if they do not include SD cards in their Nexus devices.

The evidence for this is in the Android devices you have that have fixed memory and SD cards. Especially for devices that came shipped with HC / ICS. I have an Acer tablet, a Samsung phone, and an Asus tablet. All three have fixed memory and an SD card slot. All three partition the SD card slot as something named differently than the others. One will call it /EXT_SDCARD, the other /EXTSDCARD, and I think the other one calls it "/extmemory", which leads me to believe that each company had to code in their own SD solution.

So that's my theory on why the Nexus line does not have SD cards. If they support USB OTG, then it's not that big of a problem, because you can get SD to USB adapters, but it is more annoying if you constantly rely on the SD card. For an occasional use, it works, though.
The naming of the external SD Card is where alot of confusion comes in at, even for someone like me, who is computer literate. After getting my first android phone and using the physical ext sd card, I was looking for the name sdcard, which turns out to be internal. That was very confusing at first. Along with the "moving apps to sdcard".

And I agree, they should make the sd card slots for phones and let the user decide if they want to use it or not.
__________________
Like it is...Yusef Lateef
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.