Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Android Lounge A place for general Android discussion and questions.

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 17
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Buying Note II in Singapore for use in China

Hi

I am living in China and looking to buy a Samsung Galaxy Note II.

For whatever reason most Chinese android phones, (not HTC though), have disabled the ability to add a Google account. From playing with numerous Note IIs in the shops here, it is no exception.

My mistaken purchase of a Samsung Sch-i809 has taught me that I can't do without Google -no Play, proper Gmail app, Calendars, properly synced maps, and all my paid for apps no longer work as it can't connect to Google's license server.

As I'm going to Singapore next month, I thought I could buy one there (SIM free) and it should all be fully Google enabled when I bring it back.

Can anyone confirm if this plan will work?

Any other plans which may also work (e.g. buy in China and root?)

Any help would be great!

Advertisements
Gazman is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China
Posts: 9,758
 
Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanks: 3,346
Thanked 2,807 Times in 2,029 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Ni hao Gazman welcome to Android Forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazman View Post
Hi

I am living in China and looking to buy a Samsung Galaxy Note II.

For whatever reason most Chinese android phones, (not HTC though), have disabled the ability to add a Google account. From playing with numerous Note IIs in the shops here, it is no exception.
I live in China as well. Google for various reasons doesn't do much business here, unlike Microsoft, Apple and Yahoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazman View Post
My mistaken purchase of a Samsung Sch-i809 has taught me that I can't do without Google -no Play, proper Gmail app, Calendars, properly synced maps, and all my paid for apps no longer work as it can't connect to Google's license server.
Yup.

Maps are available, just not the Google ones. AutoNavi and Amap are OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazman View Post
As I'm going to Singapore next month, I thought I could buy one there (SIM free) and it should all be fully Google enabled when I bring it back.

Can anyone confirm if this plan will work?
It will work with various exceptions. primarily NO paid apps on Play, free only. If you've already bought any paid apps, you wont be able to download them in China. You'll have to do that in Singapore. No YouTube. It will sync with Google for contacts, calendar and email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazman View Post
Any other plans which may also work (e.g. buy in China and root?)

Any help would be great!
You could buy phone in China, provided it can be rooted and the ROM changed/Google added. The exception would probably be phones specifically intended for China Mobile's TD-SCDMA network, some Samsungs are like this.
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; November 12th, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikedt For This Useful Post:
Gazman (November 12th, 2012)
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 17
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Thanks!
Regarding Google Maps, it does work but force closes whenever I attempt to open the settings (I'm sure because it can't find the account). Hence, I can't sync my places or use latitude.
Paid apps through Play are possible with an appropriate SIM card (UK in my case) and connecting over WiFi. I have bought apps in China from the UK market in this way on my old phone. I don't think I used VPN at the time (which now seems no longer to work over WiFi so Youtube is definitely out!).
I'm not too fussed about buying more but really want my old ones to work (especially Hanping Chinese!)
Gazman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China
Posts: 9,758
 
Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanks: 3,346
Thanked 2,807 Times in 2,029 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazman View Post
Thanks!
Regarding Google Maps, it does work but force closes whenever I attempt to open the settings (I'm sure because it can't find the account). Hence, I can't sync my places or use latitude.
I've used Google Maps in China, and it works OK. however I've never used Latitude. Main reason why I don't use it though, is because the actual mapping data for Inner Mongolia is rather out of date, incomplete and has quite a few errors.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazman View Post
Paid apps through Play are possible with an appropriate SIM card (UK in my case) and connecting over WiFi. I have bought apps in China from the UK market in this way on my old phone. I don't think I used VPN at the time (which now seems no longer to work over WiFi so Youtube is definitely out!).
I'm not too fussed about buying more but really want my old ones to work (especially Hanping Chinese!)
It seems YouTube has disabled viewing via VPNs and proxys. I always get a " Viewing denied" message. Probably because of United States only geo-restricted content.

Interesting that Play seems to work for paid apps with a foreign SIM. I'll have to try that. I've got a pre-paid 3 UK SIM somewhere, although it's probably been ceased now for non-use and no payments.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
china, samsung galaxy note 2, samsung galaxy note international, singapore


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.