Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Android Lounge A place for general Android discussion and questions.

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Can I choose LESS COMPRESSION of jpg?

I have chosen the maximum resolution in the camera app. However, the pictures look absolutely pathetic due to jpg artifacts from too much compression.

Is there any way to select less senselessly destructive jpg compression? My version is Android 4.0.4 (Galaxy Tab 2 7.0). Thanks in advance!

Advertisements
lksaddlkweoij is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China
Posts: 9,976
 
Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanks: 3,467
Thanked 2,860 Times in 2,067 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Try a different camera app.

Camera360 actually has settings for the amount of JPG compression.
http://www.camera360.us/
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
Try a different camera app.

Camera360 actually has settings for the amount of JPG compression.
Camera360 for Android?????? ??????????


Thanks a lot, mikedt! Camera360 are cool apps. I appreciate it.

Are there any more ways anyone knows about, then I'd still be interested in additional information about choosing the amount of compression for jpg photos.
lksaddlkweoij is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China
Posts: 9,976
 
Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanks: 3,467
Thanked 2,860 Times in 2,067 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksaddlkweoij View Post
Thanks a lot, mikedt! Camera360 are cool apps. I appreciate it.

Are there any more ways anyone knows about, then I'd still be interested in additional information about choosing the amount of compression for jpg photos.
Usual method with any JPG compression is to use minimum possible. For Camera360 set it to 100%.

I think the default with phone-cameras over their real point 'n' shoot and SLR cousins, is that they tend to be fiercer with the JPG compression. I'm pretty sure no phone-camera supports the camera RAW format.

If you wish to avoid lossy JPG compression completely, there's a couple of camera apps that can save to lossless PNG.
Camera FV-5 | AppBrain Android Market
I've not actually tried Camera FV-5, but that should be able to use lossless PNG.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
Usual method with any JPG compression is to use minimum possible. For Camera360 set it to 100%.

I think the default with phone-cameras over their real point 'n' shoot and SLR cousins, is that they tend to be fiercer with the JPG compression. I'm pretty sure no phone-camera supports the camera RAW format.

If you wish to avoid lossy JPG compression completely, there's a couple of camera apps that can save to lossless PNG.
Camera FV-5 | AppBrain Android Market
I've not actually tried Camera FV-5, but that should be able to use lossless PNG.

Thanks, mikedt! You've helped me a lot.
lksaddlkweoij is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
camera, compression, jpg, photo, photos, picture, pictures


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.