Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Android Lounge A place for general Android discussion and questions.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SkinJob
  • 1 Post By Digital Controller
  • 1 Post By chanchan05
  • 1 Post By chanchan05
  • 1 Post By chanchan05

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 119
 
Device(s): HTC Desire, Teppic's stock Froyo ROM, Lee Droid, Mild Wild, MIUI XJ, iPhone 4s
Carrier: Telus

Thanks: 18
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default What is it with reviews of the iPhone vs Android... biased much??

I've been watching a few comparison reviews of android phones against the iPhone 4s, etc. ie. the HTC One X, the Samsung GSIII vs the iPhone 4s etc. And I hear things like "the android phone has superior processing power, graphics power, resolution, color fidelity, sound, customizability, tons more software-based features.... uh, but the iPhone wins this round!".

WHAT THE Fudge???! Who's paying you people, exactly?! I just heard you describe the android phone as superior in nearly every way, but the winner always seems to be the iPhone?! And the reasons given for them concluding the iPhone wins is really a stretch! Such as saying that, although you can do 10,000 more things with the Android OS, it's "too confusing" and the iPhone OS wins because it's so simple.

Well... what's so "useable" about screen after screen of icons, all in a mish mash jumble, when you don't even begin to know the names of the programs you need, or what they do? After all, it's only fairly recently you could put icons in folders on the iPhone! But even then, all you get is screen after screen of folders! Not so easy to find programs you need the most, if you have to go fishing through folders to find them. You can't even put a darn clock on the home screen! Most people, when they pick up their phone, want to see the time! Or weather! Especially since they are using their phones in lieu of watches these days!

What these strange reviews don't detail, is the fact that you can change an android phone to look and work (if not feel) remarkably like an iPhone, using 3rd party apps like Espier launcher, etc. So the iPhone isn't even an advantage there. I have both, so I know what their strengths and weaknesses are... I'd just like to see more honest and accurate reviews or at least, making more sense!
Espis likes this.

Advertisements
SkinJob is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SkinJob For This Useful Post:
Jon Davis (November 21st, 2012)
sponsored links
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Real Bass Creator
 
Digital Controller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,497
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 4.4.2(Eclipse) , Nexus 7 (Stock), (RIP) Galaxy Nexus 4.4(SlimKat)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 748
Thanked 3,423 Times in 2,163 Posts
Default

Writers are usually paid to do certain reviews and sometimes are paid by, say Apple, to do a side by side review of their device against an Android device...things get fudged sometimes...

And the issue is, that the iPhone has such a devoted fan base that people buy the device regardless and they are sometimes so blinded by their devices abilities of what it can do that they will not even look at Android to see what it's worth, luckily with the iPhone 5 being full of flaws and not being as glamorous as many were led to believe we are getting more converts than usual.

A lot of people are also sold on what Apple is and continues to be...a great producer of new tech gadgets...I think they are finally slowing, but the thing is these writers are biased because more than likely they know the company that Apple is and believe more in it because of their past devices more than Android....

I also really think that a lot of times comparing the two is worthless, just because Android is able to run so many kinds of different UI's while Apple runs one thing, there are so many, thousands, of ROM's for android and it can run them all, quite well, so i really believe that Android isn't really getting the credit it deserves.

This review is pretty S3 sided http://versusio.com/en/samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-apple-iphone-4s-64gb
Crashdamage likes this.
__________________
Want Faster help? Read this before posting!

I love this community and so should you! So before posting please read:
Site Rules & Guidelines and Android FAQ's
Digital Controller is offline  
Last edited by Digital Controller; November 21st, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Gender: Male
Posts: 500
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 n9005, Samaung Galaxy S IV i9500, Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300, Dell Streak 5,
Carrier: Ufone

Thanks: 98
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
thahim.sd@gmail.com
Default

I have noticed in every review they fake out some features, or just compare the ones in which a phone is better.
In the link above it says gs3 has better battery where as it doesn't and front facing camera on iphone is 1.3 MP not 0.3
Being an owner of GS3 i love the phone but still the reviewers must be fair.
thahim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ThaiM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canadiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): Note 2, S2, S3
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

iCraps are inferior in every aspect - except for Hello Kitty cases availability. So all these reviews you're seeing... are merely stating facts. If 1,000 scientists tells you that the sun is hot, it's not because they're paid to. It's because it is.

Edit* - Just reread the OP... kinda confused now. Anyways, iCraps are losing market share by the hour. I know of many people jumping ship.
ThaiM is offline  
Last edited by ThaiM; November 21st, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 143
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 80
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default Not just phones

Tablets as well.
Even totally new capabilities and tools are bypassed (not given weight) in favor of extraordinary screen resolution on iPhone.

If I suppress my paranoia long enough (remember, even paranoids have enemies)
I can see that reviewers get stuck in a rut.

Higher Screen resolution is good etc.
Absolutely no reviewer saw the Galaxy Note as viable. Millions of users say differently.
As far as the S-Pen, 'it's a neat thing if you're into it' they say. Not good for games.
I suspect that it is becoming a game changer. I also suspect that the s-pen on a 10.1 inch tablet is going to find a large new audience using it for many new tasks /applications.
Run of the mill reviewers never see the future.
Jon Davis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,225
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 227
Thanked 635 Times in 503 Posts
Default

Everyone has their own opinions about what they like and is biased in their own way. I can see why some people will like the iPhone over an Android phone for various reasons and vice versa. Regardless of what many Android fans feel, having the ability to switch different cases is an awesome feature for my wife.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Doctor
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,442
 
Device(s): Note 3 LTE (N7105), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), , Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Globe Philippines

Thanks: 174
Thanked 2,534 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default

Read GSMArena reviews. They're pretty unbiased and comprehensive. They aren't US based so they are less swayed by Apple.

Here you go:
http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_5_vs_galaxy_s_iii-review-837.php
Crashdamage likes this.
__________________
https://shared.com?ref=51950 100GB free storage. WOW.

Worried about your health? Take the True Health Assessment now! Click HERE
chanchan05 is online now  
Last edited by chanchan05; November 21st, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 4,046
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Convoy 3, Galaxy Tab 3, Tab 4, Note 10
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 96
Thanked 635 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Is it biased to favor android over ios no matter what too? What makes android fanboys ok but not apple fanboys? When did this become a intent on converting every human into an android user? What is so wrong about anyone preferring an apple product? I don't know about you but I like diversity. Everyone using the exact same device would be rather boring

I am not threatened about anyone choosing an iPhone over an android phone personally. It's their choice and they have a right to do as they choose. Android is not a religion to me. And yes, I use both. There are a few things that I personally cannot do with Android even today. I can fairly list pros and cons of both OS without any guilt. I just do not understand this hatred of apple or feeling threatened by someone using or choosing iOS over android.
__________________
"If you treat your system like a kiln, don't be surprised when a brick comes out the other side."
nickdalzell is offline  
Last edited by nickdalzell; November 21st, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Doctor
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,442
 
Device(s): Note 3 LTE (N7105), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), , Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Globe Philippines

Thanks: 174
Thanked 2,534 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
Is it biased to favor android over ios no matter what too? What makes android fanboys ok but not apple fanboys? When did this become a intent on converting every human into an android user? What is so wrong about anyone preferring an apple product? I don't know about you but I like diversity. Everyone using the exact same device would be rather boring

I am not threatened about anyone choosing an iPhone over an android phone personally. It's their choice and they have a right to do as they choose. Android is not a religion to me. And yes, I use both. There are a few things that I personally cannot do with Android even today. I can fairly list pros and cons of both OS without any guilt. I just do not understand this hatred of apple or feeling threatened by someone using or choosing iOS over android.

If you're talking about the review i posted, no. They give points to iOS over Android even if I would personally disagree. Their staff is a mix of iPhone fanboys and Android lovers so they balance each other out.
chanchan05 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 4,046
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Convoy 3, Galaxy Tab 3, Tab 4, Note 10
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 96
Thanked 635 Times in 507 Posts
Default

No, I was referring to all the iHate of anyone using apple over android I come across in multiple forums lately. Calling someone who prefers apple over android, for whatever reason, names like iSheep or fanboy, meanwhile promoting the android only or take a hike opinion which is the very definition of fanboyism (android rocks, apple sucks no matter what!) and this inane desire even in these forums to convert apple users to android almost as if its so important they use android and nothing else. That is my gripe. Who cares what someone likes or uses if it works for them? I myself do prefer android for smartphones but iOS for tablets. I'm not married to any one OS. I even use windows alongside Linux.

There are a few good apps that only run on iOS I use, and still, even today, android is much laggier compared with iOS.
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Doctor
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,442
 
Device(s): Note 3 LTE (N7105), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), , Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Globe Philippines

Thanks: 174
Thanked 2,534 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
No, I was referring to all the iHate of anyone using apple over android I come across in multiple forums lately. Calling someone who prefers apple over android, for whatever reason, names like iSheep or fanboy, meanwhile promoting the android only or take a hike opinion which is the very definition of fanboyism (android rocks, apple sucks no matter what!) and this inane desire even in these forums to convert apple users to android almost as if its so important they use android and nothing else. That is my gripe. Who cares what someone likes or uses if it works for them? I myself do prefer android for smartphones but iOS for tablets. I'm not married to any one OS. I even use windows alongside Linux.

Actually this thread was referring to biased reviews. Its not about iHate. Its about people making reviews that is not fair. Its like watching a race, and in the photo finish car A is clearly the winner, but the announcer keeps on saying that car B won.
KENNECTED likes this.
chanchan05 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanchan05 For This Useful Post:
KENNECTED (November 22nd, 2012)
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 4,046
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Convoy 3, Galaxy Tab 3, Tab 4, Note 10
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 96
Thanked 635 Times in 507 Posts
Default

I was taking this topic as one of the "oh this guy likes apple and hates android so he's a fanboy" threads, so if I took it wrong my apologies. It does seem that should any critic prefer iOS over Android, that android fans call shenanigans almost harmoniously, and never see the reverse of their own views being no different. (Apple rocks, android sucks, android rocks, apple sucks)
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Doctor
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,442
 
Device(s): Note 3 LTE (N7105), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), , Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Globe Philippines

Thanks: 174
Thanked 2,534 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
I was taking this topic as one of the "oh this guy likes apple and hates android so he's a fanboy" threads, so if I took it wrong my apologies. It does seem that should any critic prefer iOS over Android, that android fans call shenanigans almost harmoniously, and never see the reverse of their own views being no different. (Apple rocks, android sucks, android rocks, apple sucks)

You should take a look at engadget and see what the OP is talking about. On one side they crap on Android tablets for having non removable batteries but praise iPads for having the same thing. Among other inconsistencies that point to biased fanboyism.
Tearsofapathy likes this.
chanchan05 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 4,046
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Convoy 3, Galaxy Tab 3, Tab 4, Note 10
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 96
Thanked 635 Times in 507 Posts
Default

I thought all tablets have sealed batteries? I won't have a phone with non replaceable parts like batteries though or lacking internal storage, two of my gripes about apple. I despise planned obsolescence, when it comes to consumer devices, like cars, when I'm satisfied I tend to use it till it breaks, being the kind who hates waste and not being the kind of guy who always buys the latest and greatest. Until I converted to smartphones I used the same 10-year old Nokia phone, on its third battery, which was also dying, I needed three per day...realized it was time for a new phone. And like that Nokia, I want something I don't have to replace every two years. That is why I prefer android phones over apple, plus they are cheaper.
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Doctor
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,442
 
Device(s): Note 3 LTE (N7105), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), , Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Globe Philippines

Thanks: 174
Thanked 2,534 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
I thought all tablets have sealed batteries? I won't have a phone with non replaceable parts like batteries though or lacking internal storage, two of my gripes about apple. I despise planned obsolescence, when it comes to consumer devices, like cars, when I'm satisfied I tend to use it till it breaks, being the kind who hates waste and not being the kind of guy who always buys the latest and greatest. Until I converted to smartphones I used the same 10-year old Nokia phone, on its third battery, which was also dying, I needed three per day...realized it was time for a new phone. And like that Nokia, I want something I don't have to replace every two years. That is why I prefer android phones over apple, plus they are cheaper.

Yup they all do. The review i was quoting was back in the day when android tablets started appearing, the reason why i stopped taking their reviews seriously as well.
chanchan05 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,225
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 227
Thanked 635 Times in 503 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
I was taking this topic as one of the "oh this guy likes apple and hates android so he's a fanboy" threads, so if I took it wrong my apologies. It does seem that should any critic prefer iOS over Android, that android fans call shenanigans almost harmoniously, and never see the reverse of their own views being no different. (Apple rocks, android sucks, android rocks, apple sucks)
Fans of any product will do this if a review likes a competing product. It is not limited to Android fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanchan05 View Post
You should take a look at engadget and see what the OP is talking about. On one side they crap on Android tablets for having non removable batteries but praise iPads for having the same thing. Among other inconsistencies that point to biased fanboyism.
I have no confidence in Engadget to do a proper assessment of any product ever since their camera phone review over a year ago. They made one of the best camera phones at the time (Nokia N8) take absolutely horrible pictures compared to every other phone they compared it to. By horrible, I mean not even close. I have boycotted Engadget ever since as they have lost my confidence.
Stuntman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.