Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Android Lounge A place for general Android discussion and questions.

New Forums: Nexus 6 | Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Using a usb flash drive with the phone

Does anyone know if you can use a USB Female A To USB Mini Male B 5 Pin Adapter to attach a thumb drive to an Android phone (in particular the Sprint HTC Hero with the 2.1 update).

That would save me a world of work!!

Advertisements
spidremann is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Isthmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 772
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 118 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Don't know, but you can definitely connect the cables, whether the device will read the thumb drive is a different matter. You can always just move the thumb drive contents to your device by connecting them both to your computer. Just mount your phone to the computer and move the content over directly to the device's microSD card from the thumb drive. I do that with mine all the time and yes I use a regular usb cable to a micro usb converter to hook up my phone to the computer.
Isthmus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
Don't know, but you can definitely connect the cables, whether the device will read the thumb drive is a different matter. You can always just move the thumb drive contents to your device by connecting them both to your computer. Just mount your phone to the computer and move the content over directly to the device's microSD card from the thumb drive. I do that with mine all the time and yes I use a regular usb cable to a micro usb converter to hook up my phone to the computer.
That won't really help me out too much, because the only reason I "need" this function is for extra storage when I'm out at work (for video, pics...etc). I already have 16GB thumb drives, so I don't want to have to buy big micro sd cards. Plus, they're a real pain to have to take out the battery to install!
spidremann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Isthmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 772
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 118 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidremann View Post
That won't really help me out too much, because the only reason I "need" this function is for extra storage when I'm out at work (for video, pics...etc). I already have 16GB thumb drives, so I don't want to have to buy big micro sd cards. Plus, they're a real pain to have to take out the battery to install!
I'm not following, are you trying to move files to your MSD or off it? I thought you meant into it (as in for long term use on your phone). For short term storage and moving files off, it should be easy enough using your phone's wireless functions or plugging it directly to your computer as you would your thumb drive.

Are you saying that you want to use your phone to record work related content and then move that content directly from your phone to your thumb drive? if so I don't think you can do that, but don't quote me on it (you might be able to on a tablet though). You might just want to bite the bullet and buy a larger MSD card. They are not hard to install, and you can do it in two minutes, even if you have to remove the battery.
Isthmus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What I need to do is use my phone to take pictures...etc, plug a thumb drive into the phone, use Astro file manager to move files from micro sd to thumb drive, all WITHOUT a computer.
I do not want to have to repeatedly swap out micro sd cards because 1) it's expensive per GB, and 2) it takes far too long for the phone to reboot every time I have to take the battery out, and 3) I often have many things going that prohibit me from being able to take out the battery.
spidremann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Isthmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 772
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 118 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidremann View Post
What I need to do is use my phone to take pictures...etc, plug a thumb drive into the phone, use Astro file manager to move files from micro sd to thumb drive, all WITHOUT a computer.
I do not want to have to repeatedly swap out micro sd cards because 1) it's expensive per GB, and 2) it takes far too long for the phone to reboot every time I have to take the battery out, and 3) I often have many things going that prohibit me from being able to take out the battery.
I think you are misunderstanding me. You only change your mad card once and only so you can have more storage space. You don't have to remove it again afterward. Take your pics and just plug the phone to directly to your computer his a USB cable, then move your files over just like you would do with your thumb drive. There is no need to move files to the thumb drive or to remove the msd from the phome.
Isthmus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 591
 
Device(s): Evo, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 62 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Unless you have a hacked ROM that allows it (there is an article on engadget about someone doing this on a Nexus One with 2.2), you cannot plug in a thumb drive and use it.
mrmojoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
I'm not following, are you trying to move files to your MSD or off it? I thought you meant into it (as in for long term use on your phone). For short term storage and moving files off, it should be easy enough using your phone's wireless functions or plugging it directly to your computer as you would your thumb drive.

Are you saying that you want to use your phone to record work related content and then move that content directly from your phone to your thumb drive? if so I don't think you can do that, but don't quote me on it (you might be able to on a tablet though). You might just want to bite the bullet and buy a larger MSD card. They are not hard to install, and you can do it in two minutes, even if you have to remove the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
I think you are misunderstanding me. You only change your mad card once and only so you can have more storage space. You don't have to remove it again afterward. Take your pics and just plug the phone to directly to your computer his a USB cable, then move your files over just like you would do with your thumb drive. There is no need to move files to the thumb drive or to remove the msd from the phome.
A key part of my requirement is NO COMPUTER. I can't explain my needs any clearer, but I believe you taking what you perceive the end result to be and going off that assumption. You just need to take what I'm stating as requirements as just that. Thank you for your help though.
spidremann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojoz View Post
Unless you have a hacked ROM that allows it (there is an article on engadget about someone doing this on a Nexus One with 2.2), you cannot plug in a thumb drive and use it.
Thank you for the info. I'll have to find the article. I can't believe that this is not something baked into the OS. I need to physically transfer files to a thumb drive and hand that drive off to someone else. That shouldn't be too hard! lol
spidremann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Chroma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 369
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Default

search function still works, albeit forgotten to everyone

External USB Storage

Android phone with USB OTG (host)? (besides Droid)
Chroma is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chroma For This Useful Post:
spidremann (June 4th, 2010)
sponsored links
Old June 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroma View Post
search function still works, albeit forgotten to everyone

External USB Storage

Android phone with USB OTG (host)? (besides Droid)
Thank you, Chroma, that's exactly what I WAS searching for, but didn't have the terminology to narrow it down. I'm not happy about the answer, but at least I know, and knowing is half the battle, right?
spidremann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surprised Mobiadaptor or Airstash may be what you want.

I've been looking for the same thing, the only adaptor that I found works with the microSDcard slot, but there must be a micro usb to microSD converter somewhere, my old phone could handle this but the nexus one has the microSD card below the battery.

So checkout mobidaptor: Mobidapter: SD Adapter for USB Memory Pens

The other option that will word for SD cards and work via a browser is airstash. Basically a wireless portable flash card host. Works as portable drive for iPad, iPhone, etc.

You can find the air stash at AirStash: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPhone, iPod touch & iPad
TonyP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 143
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I know there's a version of VNC for the HTC Incredible, and if there's a portable version that would work on the thumb drive, you'd be in business. I've used VNC a lot from laptop to PC but since switched to Team Viewer but VNC does the job. This way you just remote control the thumb drive. Just a thought.
Bluesman2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.