After searching for easy ways to sync my iTunes music AND playlists to my new android (Galaxy S3), I found what, to me, is a very simple manual way to do it. It involves continuing to use my iTunes to manage the music on my PC, and dragging music and playlists (playlists exported from iTunes TO MY PC, as .m3u files), to my phone, in Windows Explorer. It is really that simple. Of course, I’m making some assumptions here….
1) You know where iTunes keeps your music
2) You’re confident you can get that music dragged to your phone in Windows Explorer in the same folder structure as it was on your PC (Can’t say for sure this would cause problems if the files were say, all in one folder on your phone as opposed to grouped in folders by artists, albums, etc. on your PC)
This is what I do…..
1) If SD card is being used, and a music folder doesn’t exist on the card, in Windows Explorer, I create a folder on the SD card named “Music”. (My Phone’s internal storage already had a music folder, so if yours doesn’t, create one)
2) Drag music from PC to Music folder on Phone or SD Card (Can have some music on phone, and some on SD card….this is working fine for me).
YOU NEED TO BE SURE EVERY SONG IN YOUR PLAYLIST THAT YOU WILL USE FROM ITUNES IS DRAGGED TO YOUR PHONE. (I’m assuming here….maybe, if not, those songs just won’t be in your playlist) My music is organized in folders with artist's names, so I drag the artist's folders over to the phone.
3) In iTunes, go to the playlist you want to have in your phone, right-click the playlist and choose “export”….open the “Save as type” drop box and choose M3U file (*.m3U)….you can change the playlist name, if you like, but save it to a folder on your PC….not directly to the phone (I save them in “My Documents”…..where you save it doesn’t matter….just know where to find it!)
4) Find the playlist you exported and drag it to your phone’s music folder (I’ve put mine in the music folder of the phone’s internal storage)
5) That’s it!
6) IF YOU MAKE CHANGES TO A PLAYLIST IN ITUNES…..export your changed playlist to your PC…..delete the playlist in your phone first, USING YOUR PHONE..…in the music player, tap and hold on a playlist to bring up the delete option, delete it, and then drag your updated playlist to your phone’s music folder! (The phone seems to have some sort of cache somewhere that keeps the playlists there, even if you deleted it on your PC through Windows Explorer…so if you change a playlist in iTunes, delete it from your phone, using your phone, before putting in the new playlist with the same name)
This is my way…..not a fan of having to install multiple apps to keep using music the way I did with my iPhone (paying for some of them before even knowing how well they work)….yes, this isn’t as automated as the other options out there, but I’m a neat freak when it comes to PC’s and gadgets of any kind (I also went through every album and embedded the album art into every song file! LOL), so I prefer this way…..your mileage may vary!!
Posted this incase others want a simple manual way of managing their music on their Android!