I've purchased a couple Android "TV Boxes" and was shocked to learn that none of the supplied software will play media from SMB/Samba/Windows shared network locations.
My boxes are running Android 4.0x, A9 single core at 1Ghz, Mali400 GPU's, 512MB + 8GB or 1GB + 4GB of memory.
Device 1 link
Device 2 link
(No idea what model this is)
Just a few of the apps I've downloaded and tested:
- XBMC: Used on my PC's, but too heavy for the Android boxes I have.
- Buzz Player
- MX Player
- Mobo Video Player
- Dice Player
- Movie Browser HD
- mVideo Player
Most of these don't support Windows shares very well, or are not user friendly.
Are there any decent media player applications that will do the following?
- Play media located on Windows or Samba shares
- Provide a simple interface so my kids won't get confused
- Play video, audio and pictures
- Possibly link to Netflix and/or YouTube accounts
- It would be great if it were a "launcher" app
Basically, I want a launcher type interface that operates like this:
- I add icons to the main screen.
- The icon can be associated with one or more local folders and/or windows network shares.
- The icon can have rules set to show or hide files and folders that..
- have a specific filename extension (.avi, .mp3, .jpg, etc...).
- that are hidden.
- files of a specific type.
- When the icon is clicked, show the contents of the associated that...
- Match the rules set up for the icon.
- Show thumbnails for files or folders, if available. (use folder.jpg for folder icons, for music or video, locate a .jpg/.png/etc. with the same filename as the movie or music file.
- Allow browsing folders with the same rules as the parent icon.
Alternately, does Android provide any way to set up a Windows share to look like a locally mounted device? This would make some of the players I've found more workable.
I know I'm being pretty specific, but I know what my wife and kids want when it comes to watching movies and playing music.
Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!