May 9th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking to develop a home replacement
Hey, ever since I got my Droid I've been looking for something that will allow me to customize my Droid a little more than I'm able to currently. I love the way my phone runs, which is extremely fast, but I'm unhappy with the aesthetics. Unfortunately many apps on Android look horrible and all the icons don't follow any type of guidelines. I don't mean to support the iPhone, but that's the one thing I like better. Looks matter to me, because a phone should be about speed and looks -- especially with a phone that has a high density screen.
Okay on to the discussion.. what I would like to do is create a simple home replacement app that allows me full customization (similar to Sweeter Home -- but less buggy, simpler, and more user friendly).
What I dislike about all the current home replacement apps are:
- the cheap and amateur looking themes
- pointless features that I cannot disable
- all of them based off the same exact thing (the default Android home app)
What I would like on a home replacement app is:
- customizable icons, on the home screen and in the launcher tray
- customizable icon sizes that have the option of showing or hiding the application name
- due to my Droid being a landscape phone as well as portrait, the home screen turns when I open the keyboard. I don't like this and I would prefer it to just rotate the icons rather than flip everything around. For example, the launcher tray icon is at the bottom of the screen in portrait, but in landscape it should remain in the same spot, or on the right side of the screen
- customizable grid size (it's currently 4x4 due to the landscape issue, it should be 4x5 which would look much nicer and more evenly spaced -- also I would like to be able to resize widgets -- and be able to move objects locked to a grid and in free space, that way I could get a fully customized look
There's many other things I would like to change, but I just wanted to mention a few. Sweeter Home is the only home replacement that comes close to what I'm thinking. Unfortunately, it's weak and has force close problems, along with many bugs. Its interface is extremely confusing as well.
If you're reading this and are interested in joining some sort of team to develop a customizable home replacement, please contact me. There's no way I could do this alone, considering I have barely any knowledge of developing for Android. I see myself as an idea person and interface designer (I'm good with layouts and graphics).
Contact me on here, or email me: Groffy77 at gmail.com.