May 26th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Join Date: May 2011
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even though this is my first post, I have been lurking for quite a while.
Now to the point, over the past week or so I have been working on a widget that will do just this.
So far everything is working on the virtual device, but I will need some real testers soon.
- Widget can be resized with a launcher to display more text at a time.
- Widget has two buttons to scroll up and down. However, the scroll is based on the individual lines / paragraphs.
- Widget reads in the file only every 30 minutes / first time load of widget and then caches the file contents for scrolling.
- Widget has a selection between black backing / transparent, and black text / white text.
- On widget configuration, the configuration searches the device and sdcard for available compatible text files.
- Widget can read in .txt, .docx, and .pdf. Future release will hopefully be able to just extract the text from an .rtf file also. Note: any images / tables in the docx and pdf are discarded. Only the text is extracted from them. PDF text extraction isn't perfect, but will suffice.
- There can be more than 1 version of the widget active. Want to view 2 different files? No problem, just add another widget and select a different file to view. Each widget operates independently of one another. Meaning the contents and scrolling does not affect the other.
I am hoping to complete it by next week, and get it out for testing. It currently is only lacking some code optimizations that are pointed out in the android design documentation.