Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications > Application Reviews

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #51 (permalink)
Under paid Sasquatch!
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC One Max, waiting for root! Asus Transformer 16GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanked 1,988 Times in 1,047 Posts

For some reason you have to go into the swype selection, that is where you will select to use the flex t9 keyboard.

If you find a post helpful please use the button!
sponsored links
Old October 6th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #52 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II (SGH-i317) (AT&T)
Carrier: AT&T

(See the bio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsonjm View Post
I did this initially after download. Again, it doesn't give me the option in an area that can be typed in after a long touch (as such as a select all, copy, paste, ect.) to enable the FlexT9. I have been in the settings and I'm wondering if it is something else somewhere that I either need to enable or turn off with the HTC keyboard. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
First, just FYI...

HTC Onc X Support Page

HTC One X Quick Start Guide (PDF)

HTC One X User Manual (PDF)

HTC One X Safety Guide (PDF)

Second, though, sometimes such as the above isn't as helpful as one would like because many phone makers would just as soon the user wouldn't change anything beyond what came with the phone, and so they don't include complete instructions for such things like they should. So if the above isn't helpful, blame HTC. One thing I'll say for Samsung and the manuals that come with an AT&T phone made by Samsung is that the instructions, just generally speaking, are a little better in that area.

All I can do is tell you how it's done on a Samsung, and... I dunno... maybe something in it will help. Remember that it's all still the Android OS, and so even when phone makers fiddle with the interface, it's still usually close enough that knowing how it's done on one brand of phone might (and I stress that word) help with another.

First, install FlexT9; and make sure that it's not installed out onto the external SD card. Make sure it's installed to the phone, internally.

Then reboot the phone. Trust me on this one. And don't start fiddling with things until the phone's fully rebooted... has stopped trying to load things and scan things. Let it calm down from the booting-up process.

Then, from any homescreen, press the "Menu" button at the bottom, on the far left. A menu will pop-up from the bottom.

Then press the "Settings" menu choice; the "Settings" menu will appear.

Scroll down a little 'til the "Locale and Text" item appears; select (press) it. The "Locale and Text" menu will appear.

Scroll down a little, and put a checkmark next to the "FlexT9 Text Input" item.

Press, beneath that, the "FlexT9 Text Input" settings item; the "FlexT9 Text Input Settings" menu appears.

Scroll down to "Auto-correction" and press it; a pop-up will appear; select "Off" and said pop-up will then disappear, returning you to the underlying "Preference" menu.

Now remove every single check mark except the two under the "Trace input settings" area. In other words, turn everything off except the ability to trace, and automatically putting a space after any traced word once you lift your finger up off the screen after having just traced one.

Press the "Back" button (third from the left, at the very bottom) to return to the "FlexT9 Text Input settings" menu; then press the "Back" button one more time to return to the "Locale and Text" menu.

Press the "Select input method" item; a pop-up will appear; press the "FlexT9 Text Input" item, and that should make the pop-up disappear.

Press the "Back" button again to return to the "Settings" menu; and once again to return to the homescreen.

Reboot the phone. Again, trust me. And, again, let it boot all the way back up, stop scanning and loading things, and calm down before you actually try to use it for anything.

The above steps will, at least on a Samsung phone, set the FlexT9 as the default keyboard. However, because we turned pretty much everything off (except Swyping, and putting a space after a swyped word when one lifts one's finger up off the keyboard), the FlexT9 may or may not be working exactly as you'd like. That's fine, for now. The first step is just making sure that the darned thing pops-up as the default keyboard, and that swyping works. Once you've verified that -- and maybe even tried using it bare bones, like that, for a while -- you can always go back into the keyboard's settings and turn-on spell check and word suggestion and any of that other stuff if you like those things. I don't. I don't like computers doing any thinking for me. I even run spell check, if I run it at all, as a manual process on my notebook... but, hey... that's just me. For the moment, just try using FlexT9 in its basic and unadorned state, and then decide what, if anything else, you'd like to turn on in the Settings area.

Open a memo app, or the email app, or something -- anything -- that requires text input. The FlexT9 should slide-up from the bottom as the default keyboard. If so, then test plain typing. Then test swyping. Then press the little thing that looks like a marker to the immediate left of the RETURN key to test the writing-out-the-letters feature; then the keyboard key to the immediate left of the RETURN key to return to the normal keyboard. Then press the key with the flame on it (to the right of the "123" key) to go to the voice recognition (voice-to-text) part.

If all of those work (and using them properly can take some getting used to, so test each thing for more than just a few seconds), then, and only then, should you go back into the keyboard settings area, then into FlexT9's settings area...

Home screen > Menu > Settings > FlexT9 Text Input settings > Preferences

...and start deciding if there are any features that you'd like to add...

...such as vibrate or sound on keypress, auto-capitalization or auto-punctuation, next word prediction, auto-correction, etc. Personally, I'd recommend never turning-on any of them; allowing checkmarks only next to the two swyping choices, and nothing else. And that's because, again, nothing makes me crazier than a keyboard that's tryin' to think for me. But, again, that's just me. You're obviously free to configure it however you want.

One thing you should NEVER do, though, is put a checkmark next to "Contribute usage data." Such as that is a privacy issue, just categorically. But it also uses-up bandwidth, and slows performance a tiny bit. The biggest reason not to do it, though, is because it's now all ignored by Nuance, anyway, because FlexT9 is a dead product, and so its usage data will never contribute to its ever being updated/upgraded again; and so no one at Nuance is even looking at the data anymore. I suppose it's possible that FlexT9 data could be somehow contributing to the new beta SWYPE keyboard, but I doubt it. And even if it is, I say screw em! They don't care about us anymore, so we shouldn't be helping them...

...or so, in any case, it is my opinion.

I don't know if any of that is actually helpful, but that it is is, obviously, my intent. Your mileage, though, may vary.

Last edited by ocnbrze; April 30th, 2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Manually removed your signature
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #53 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerB3ll View Post
As above. Also ensure your keyboard isn't on external memory. Must be internal to be default.
Quote:
I tried to install this on a replaced HTC One X because the original phone had an issue. The new phone works fine, but can't get it to be the primary keyboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
I did this initially after download. Again, it doesn't give me the option in an area that can be typed in after a long touch (as such as a select all, copy, paste, ect.) to enable the FlexT9. I have been in the settings and I'm wondering if it is something else somewhere that I either need to enable or turn off with the HTC keyboard. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

elsonjm

AT&T HTC One X

Follow up with this: Bottom Line Up Front, there was zero issue with the FlexT9 key board, it was operator error on the new phone "HTC One X" with how the keyboard functioned. On my HTC Inspire 4G, you downloaded the keyboard and when you were typing in an allowable space and "long pressed" it would give you an option for input method. On the new HTC One X, when typing there would be a "keyboard icon" at the top; you would then open the notification while typing and select it that way. Again, lesson learned, thanks for all the help guys!

PS: HTC One X doesn't have any external memory options or an option to replace the battery, which are the cons for the phone.

elsonjm
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #54 (permalink)

Device(s): ViewSonic ViewPad 7

I'm glad you got your problem resolved and happy to learn from your postscript.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications > Application Reviews