Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ARCHOS 101

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #51 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One, Archos 101
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbnet View Post
That was a comment in one of the many Gen 8 threads over on Archosfans... so I guess still a rumor till it occurs...
I saw this too. Weird. Don't see it on their twitter feed.

Some people on the forum are saying that they called a distributor who said that it will be stocked by the 21st...

sponsored links
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #52 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid phone

why are you waiting for Android v3.0? what will it have over Froyo that is a must wait? Also will Froyo devices nto upgrade?
Old October 14th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #53 (permalink)

Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmartgadgetguy View Post
why are you waiting for Android v3.0? what will it have over Froyo that is a must wait? Also will Froyo devices nto upgrade?
Others please confirm, but Android 3.0 gingerbread is geared more toward tablets and I heard upgrading to gingerbread requires certain level of harware. Of course there will be nonsanctioned devices out there customized to make it work.
The Following User Says Thank You to badankles For This Useful Post:
Martimus (October 14th, 2010)
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #54 (permalink)
One bite at a time...

Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx HD (ICS 4.1.2), Motorola XOOM (ICS 4.1.1), HP TouchPad (CM 9), ASUS Infinity (JB 4.2

Thanked 4,023 Times in 2,408 Posts
martimus98

Quote:
Originally Posted by badankles View Post
Others please confirm, but Android 3.0 gingerbread is geared more toward tablets and I heard upgrading to gingerbread requires certain level of harware. Of course there will be nonsanctioned devices out there customized to make it work.
I think you pretty much covered it!

Advice provided comes from fellow Android enthusiasts. We're not tech support. Please do your due dilligence before implementing! And if someone helped you, please share the love with the button...
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #55 (permalink)

Device(s):

ive had a look and looks good but can not find any reference as to how much ram these units will have in them
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #56 (permalink)

Device(s): 2xMoto Droid1s, 2xZT-180, WitsA81E, 2xViewsonic GTabs, Nook Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
ive had a look and looks good but can not find any reference as to how much ram these units will have in them
Discussions over on Archosfans is talking about 256MB but I haven't been able to confirm on any Archos or distributor documentation.
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #57 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Discussions over on Archosfans is talking about 256MB but I haven't been able to confirm on any Archos or distributor documentation.
Thanks mate, thats pretty poor and does not leave room for future updates
if what they are saying about ginger bread needing much more memory
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #58 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean (rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

drhyde27@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
Thanks mate, thats pretty poor and does not leave room for future updates
if what they are saying about ginger bread needing much more memory
I'm pretty sure the whole minimum specs was debunked by Google themselves. Either way, I want to get my hands on this tablet. Froyo is good enough for me. Plus, Google wants Chrome OS for tablets, not Android to my knowledge.

Now if only the Archos 101 would ever release...
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #59 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Ok, this is sad, but I actually had a dream last night where I was using my new 101 and loving it...
Old October 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm807 View Post
Ok, this is sad, but I actually had a dream last night where I was using my new 101 and loving it...
Did you watch this before going to sleep???

Just to wet appetites for what I think a tablet should look like for under $300... The Video posted today by Charbax at Archosfans who recieved his Pre release Archos 70 today... Note his early release is running Android 2.1 vs. 2.2 as hoped... would anyone complain with this level of performance at 2.1?

ArchosFans.com - News, Rumors and Reviews Story Archos 70 Internet Tablet Review
sponsored links
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #61 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Did you watch this before going to sleep???

Just to wet appetites for what I think a tablet should look like for under $300... The Video posted today by Charbax at Archosfans who recieved his Pre release Archos 70 today... Note his early release is running Android 2.1 vs. 2.2 as hoped... would anyone complain with this level of performance at 2.1?

ArchosFans.com - News, Rumors and Reviews Story Archos 70 Internet Tablet Review
No, this is the first I have seen this, it looks pretty good. I didnt really notice any lag. I wonder if the 101 will have any due to the larger screen.
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #62 (permalink)

Device(s):

Ok...the 32 is for sale. I don't know when that happened...but I want the 70!
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #63 (permalink)

Device(s): Jitterbug

Le sigh..... I got impatient waiting for the 101. I came across a iPad 32gb wifi that was too good to pass up(almost 50% off, poor soul had buyers remorse, thought it could work as a laptop replacement) I'll just get my android tablet in the spring once 3.0 is out and there are good options out there for android.

That said, iPad is truly a great product minus the jobs death grip. I hope the android tabs work just as well, or even better.
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #64 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Smile

If i get the 101, I can't decide on the 8gb or 16gb. The 16 probably isn't necessary since there is a microsd slot. Right?
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #65 (permalink)

When it comes to electronics, like cars, I always opt for the higher "trims" as they'll typically have better resale value. It's a small difference in price, go with the 16!!! If you watch a lot of movies or you like apps, you will want more space.
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #66 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
When it comes to electronics, like cars, I always opt for the higher "trims" as they'll typically have better resale value. It's a small difference in price, go with the 16!!! If you watch a lot of movies or you like apps, you will want more space.
Yeah.. 16 would be nice because I would just have the space when ever I need it. My wife and I do photography, it would be nice when out on a shoot if we need to dump some photos to a larger screen with plenty of memory for photos.
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #67 (permalink)

Device(s):

Did I hear right at about 2 min into that last video the guy says "it has full marketplace" ??

is that true?

oh i see, a one click install for google market. is this for all of archos' latest generation devices?
Last edited by Catfish; October 20th, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #68 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
Le sigh..... I got impatient waiting for the 101. I came across a iPad 32gb wifi that was too good to pass up(almost 50% off, poor soul had buyers remorse, thought it could work as a laptop replacement) I'll just get my android tablet in the spring once 3.0 is out and there are good options out there for android.

That said, iPad is truly a great product minus the jobs death grip. I hope the android tabs work just as well, or even better.
My condolences.... ( just kidding ).... The iPad is OK but I returned mine to BestBuy before my return period was up...

It was nice, but I didn't really dig it being so locked down and the 10" screen was to big for me... I want a more portable tablet and that's why I am going with the Archos 70 once it's out...
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Did I hear right at about 2 min into that last video the guy says "it has full marketplace" ??

is that true?

oh i see, a one click install for google market. is this for all of archos' latest generation devices?
That's the way I understood it from over on ArchosFan... all Gen 8s should be software compat...
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #70 (permalink)
akkkmed

Device(s):

Wow, how come I didn't know about these tablets? I've heard of Archos for years, but haven't heard ONE THING about their Android tablets! Are they actually for sale or shipping yet?
Even though I will be doing my research, can anyone please tell me what I need to know? Anything that makes the 101 or 70 worse choices than the Tab?

sponsored links
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:01 AM   #71 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am considering getting one of the smaller Archos Gen8 devices for my *cough*2-year-old*cough* daughter. Before you start yelling "what a waste!" I am only thinking about it and the reason is because she gets her mum's phone all the time and loves watching the home videos we have recorded on it. She goes through the menus and finds videos and everything. (Never believe an infant is dumb) And she actually HASN'T trashed the phone yet which makes me think she enjoys it so much she actually cares about the device.

Do or will all the devices have the standard Android user interface or do/will they have custom ones?
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM   #72 (permalink)

Device(s):

personally i think thats a great idea.

I built my son his 1st desktop when he was 2 and he got his 1st laptop for xmas last year (3.5)

for xmas he will PROBABLY get a small tablet of some kind, for games and learning apps
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:26 PM   #73 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwave View Post

I built my son his 1st desktop when he was 2 and he got his 1st laptop for xmas last year (3.5)

for xmas he will PROBABLY get a small tablet of some kind, for games and learning apps

Ditto. My girls are older (10 and 12), but they shared their first desktop at 18 months and 3. They have each had three laptops. I am crossing my fingers that these reach the market in time for me to buy two 70s for Christmas.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:00 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
My condolences.... ( just kidding ).... The iPad is OK but I returned mine to BestBuy before my return period was up...

It was nice, but I didn't really dig it being so locked down and the 10" screen was to big for me... I want a more portable tablet and that's why I am going with the Archos 70 once it's out...
The steve jobs death grip does suck. That's why I jail broke it on day one!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:27 PM   #75 (permalink)
AF's janitor

Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV

Thanked 4,636 Times in 1,730 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com

Quote:
The more I read and view reviews about the 101 the more I keep wanting to pre-order one...
Quote:
Ok, I am starting to get the tablet fever again.. really wish they would release this thing.
Quote:
That would be great.. I would like to have one before mid nov when I do a little traveling (tethered to my incredible). I can see me using this thing a lot..

crossing my fingers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkkmed View Post
Wow, how come I didn't know about these tablets? I've heard of Archos for years, but haven't heard ONE THING about their Android tablets! Are they actually for sale or shipping yet?
Even though I will be doing my research, can anyone please tell me what I need to know? Anything that makes the 101 or 70 worse choices than the Tab?
All of the above quotes are exactly how I feel. The last (and only) tablet i have is the HP Pavilion tx2500 (12.1" screen, 4.5 lbs heavyweight. While i use that alot, i can't see myself carrying it around like i do my EVO. Its thick, hardly unviewable in the sun and heavy as a heck. Seeing this Archos 7 or 10 is nice. Since I use my laptot tablet mostly for web surfing anyway while traveling, I think the Archos can replace it.

But a few questions still linger. Over at the other site, the poster mentions using a mini mifi to connect to internet. So i assume its not built in. Still, the size, thickness and weight are impressive. I might just get this, too bad its not out before my trip going overseas, but i can't tell if I want the 7 or 10" version.

btw, does anyone know of a site that would compare screen sizes. I thought there was one for phones, but can't find it and don't know if it compares tablet sizes.

TS
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...

Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:13 PM   #76 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post

btw, does anyone know of a site that would compare screen sizes. I thought there was one for phones, but can't find it and don't know if it compares tablet sizes.

TS
Sort of, meant for a TV, but it works

Visual TV Size Comparison : Display Wars
The Following User Says Thank You to uniquenameEVO For This Useful Post:
twospirits (October 22nd, 2010)
Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:46 PM   #77 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X

BHPhoto just pushed back arrival to December
*cries!* NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo...........
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM   #78 (permalink)
AF's janitor

Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV

twospirits411@gmail.com

When it comes to B&H photo, one has to look at the Jewish calendar cause they close for long periods and that effects not only selling products but also shipments of products. See here for calendar. and according to that calendar, they won't be back in the store until after the 9th of Dec.

Maybe J&R has them.

TS out
Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:40 AM   #79 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Here are a few pictures from someone that has it in Germany..
Archos 101 - Das Hammerteil und keiner interessiert sich dafür? - Seite 46 - Android-Hilfe.de

Looks like it comes with 2.1 with an update to 2.2 in November.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:59 AM   #80 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwave View Post

my wife has nagged for months to get an iphone because it has apps where kids can learn to spell and read by dragging letters around to make words and it says the word, spells the letters out etc. but i dont want an iphone for numerous reasons but mainly because i would have to get a phone contract for it and dont want it.

does android market have a decent collection of educational apps like this? my cousin had an android phone that had a kids app on it but it was just pretty sounds and colours. not really educational but keeps the kids amused.
sponsored links
Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:52 AM   #81 (permalink)

oh im well aware of the Jewish calendar and B+H's closing. My Bday is on Oct 14th and they're almost never open the week before or during, so all my photo gifts need to be bought well before hand due to their closing... *grumble* but best service @ best price....
Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
my wife has nagged for months to get an iphone because it has apps where kids can learn to spell and read by dragging letters around to make words and it says the word, spells the letters out etc. but i dont want an iphone for numerous reasons but mainly because i would have to get a phone contract for it and dont want it.

does android market have a decent collection of educational apps like this? my cousin had an android phone that had a kids app on it but it was just pretty sounds and colours. not really educational but keeps the kids amused.
There are lots... and folks have started porting some of the iphone games over now that Android has picked up market share... from one site/market only

Word Spell Game applications - Android
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM   #83 (permalink)

Device(s): N1, Dell Streak Mini, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy S2

Quote:

I really hate to say this, I really really do....

But in this case I would go for an iTouch. Not the latest version, but the next to latest version then load it with the free educational apps that you can get for a kid. I went this route and it cost me a whopping $70 for the iTouch plus about $5.00 for some free kids learning apps for the 2 year old and some more kid games for my 10 year old.

It was so cost effective that when the 2 year old chewed on the thing I didn't even flinch.

The problem with finding an android app that's cheap and good for kids, is finding the device for them to run it on. Some of the apps don't do well on the cheaper 1.5 or 1.6 android tablets out there, so unless you want your kids using your phone a lot, I would go with the Touch.

But only in this case!
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #84 (permalink)

Device(s):

ok might look into iTouch. I dont even know what that is because i didn't know cheap iProducts existed.
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #85 (permalink)

Device(s): N1, Dell Streak Mini, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy S2

Quote:
ok might look into iTouch. I dont even know what that is because i didn't know cheap iProducts existed.
Check over on eBay. The iPod Touch I think it was called are legion on there, and you can pick one up cheap on auction. You just have to figure out which ones are 2nd, 3rd, whatever generation and get the next one down from the current one for a good deal. They work on WiFi too, so they can be used for some web browsing.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #86 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X soon

Tigerdirect.com has the Archos 70 ($274) and 101 ($349) on preorder but the 101 doesnt have the nice $299 price tag I had read about. Not sure $350 is good enough to me...
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #87 (permalink)
akkkmed

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygobot View Post
Tigerdirect.com has the Archos 70 ($274) and 101 ($349) on preorder but the 101 doesnt have the nice $299 price tag I had read about. Not sure $350 is good enough to me...
I'm looking at TigerDirect right now. They show two 101 models, priced at $299 and $349.

Here's the cheaper one: Archos 501590 101 Internet Tablet - 10.1 Screen, 1024 x 600, Built-in Speakers, 8GB, Android User Interface, .5 Thick, WiFi, PRE ORDER - Due in 11/1 at TigerDirect.com

Hope that helps. (Mind you, that includes an instant $50 off, which doesn't matter anyways. But maybe they had the wrong price posted when you looked?)

Old October 25th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #88 (permalink)

Device(s):

Bah! Tigerdirect.ca is charging $438 for the 16gb Archos 101. That's $90 more than their US shop. Doesn't make a lot of sense, since the dollar is near parity. May just have to wait until the next time I'm down in the states to pick it up.
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #89 (permalink)
AF's janitor

twospirits411@gmail.com

Word has it that the US Tigerdirect just got a big shipment today and after unloading and cross matchng with preorders the first shipment to customers go out on Friday. Also Archos just started selling the 10" version on the French site but not the USA one though.

TS
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #90 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible Rooted, s-off, with n_i_x MIUI v0.10.22.1 Archos 101 (on Pre-order)

I was really drooling over the Archos 101 until I found out it doesn't have GPS. I read stuff about using a bluetooth GPS hack or something, but forget that. Personally I was planning on using my 101 everywhere I go (home, work, in the car) but several functions have been limited due to lack of GPS...looks like I'll be waiting or possibly grabbing the Samsung Galaxy. Granted it would have only been a few things such as Google Nav and Trapster but still I'd like for the Archos 101 to be able to do everything my DInc can except use 3G or make calls.

Damnit it's stuff like this that is going to keep setting Android back. Hardware manufacturers need to GET ON THE BALL. Where is HTC's tablet? Cmon!
sponsored links
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielevans83 View Post
I was really drooling over the Archos 101 until I found out it doesn't have GPS. I read stuff about using a bluetooth GPS hack or something, but forget that. Personally I was planning on using my 101 everywhere I go (home, work, in the car) but several functions have been limited due to lack of GPS...looks like I'll be waiting or possibly grabbing the Samsung Galaxy. Granted it would have only been a few things such as Google Nav and Trapster but still I'd like for the Archos 101 to be able to do everything my DInc can except use 3G or make calls.

Damnit it's stuff like this that is going to keep setting Android back. Hardware manufacturers need to GET ON THE BALL. Where is HTC's tablet? Cmon!
I'm not going to blame them for not having builtin a GPS... I have it on my Moto Droid and when running Really sucks battery... my droid is usually plugged in in the car so not a big problem, and I also have a pocket Bluetooth rechargable GPS used with my old WinMo phone so I can connect to it via bluetooth if ever needed and not waste Battery or add extra cost to the tablet... Plus I cant see me travling Without my primary phone anytime in the near future, so I'll always have the Droid...
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #92 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible Rooted, s-off, with n_i_x MIUI v0.10.22.1 Archos 101 (on Pre-order)

Quote:
I'm not going to blame them for not having builtin a GPS... I have it on my Moto Droid and when running Really sucks battery... my droid is usually plugged in in the car so not a big problem, and I also have a pocket Bluetooth rechargable GPS used with my old WinMo phone so I can connect to it via bluetooth if ever needed and not waste Battery or add extra cost to the tablet... Plus I cant see me travling Without my primary phone anytime in the near future, so I'll always have the Droid...
How much does the Bluetooth GPS cost? GPS on doesn't drain my dinc too bad but I wanted to tether via wifi and have most of the same functionality. I wont pay double just to get one with GPS that's for sure....
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:

I know what you mean. I'd really like it to support ad hoc wifi networks (for tethering) without having to hack it.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
How much does the Bluetooth GPS cost? GPS on doesn't drain my dinc too bad but I wanted to tether via wifi and have most of the same functionality. I wont pay double just to get one with GPS that's for sure....
I've got this one and it worked great on my Samsung i760 WinMo phone for $30..

GlobalSat BT-359CS Bluetooth GPS Receiver - Batteries, Cases, Chargers, Headsets and Much More @ All4Cellular.com
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #95 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
Word has it that the US Tigerdirect just got a big shipment today and after unloading and cross matchng with preorders the first shipment to customers go out on Friday. Also Archos just started selling the 10" version on the French site but not the USA one though.

TS
I have read this as well, their are various reports at the archos fan forums ranging between the 28th and mid November. I hope your source is correct, when I called on my pre-order the CSR told me November 15th.

The lack of GPS doesn't bother me, I just hope I can use my NHL gamecenter app!
Old October 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #96 (permalink)

BAH! I went this AM and was about to preorder, but my damn CC was lost last weekend, so I couldnt do it. now its "Unavailable"! damn it!
Im not so concerned with GPS (even if it is a DAMN shame...I can get one for 30$ how much would it cost Archos...)
Ill have my X with me and as long as I can sync it with that, ill be able to use gps ok. As long as I can open Gmaps
I just think for the price the Galaxy wont be as nice, and itll be MUCH smaller than the 101. i mean my Phone is 4.3in, the 7" wont even make it noticeably bigger. Wish the 101 had 1366x720 though...720P ftw. 1024x600 is the same issue i have with my Dell mini 9, its SO CLOSE...but not HD
Old October 26th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #97 (permalink)
AF's janitor

twospirits411@gmail.com

The Archos US twitter site announced they will be available next week.

TS
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #98 (permalink)

SAWEET! Happy late bday present to me! now - lets see if BHPhoto will get em next week or not. December arrival my behind
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #99 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate

Just placed my order through futurepowerpc.com, they seemed pretty on top of it when I spoke with them.
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #100 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Legend, Moto Xoom

Default Canadian site for Archos

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbrisson View Post
Bah! Tigerdirect.ca is charging $438 for the 16gb Archos 101. That's $90 more than their US shop. Doesn't make a lot of sense, since the dollar is near parity. May just have to wait until the next time I'm down in the states to pick it up.

You can pre-order the Archos in Canada here (waiting for mine now):
Mp3 Players and other Hi tech products

For example:
Archos 101 8gb - $299 USD
Archos 101 16gb - $349 USD
(free shipping; taxes extra; includes mini-HDMI cable)
Tags
android, archos 101, tablet

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ARCHOS 101