Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ARCHOS 101

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Finally arrived- review

My Archos 101 finally arrived this week. So far I am impressed, sort of. Out of the box the thing was slow. There is something wrong with Archos' implementation of the launcher. Using any other launcher (I chose launcher pro) the device speed is MUCH faster. The screen is responsive. Getting the market and other google apps installed took all of 5 minutes.

Basically it is a pretty capable tablet. I have 2 iPads in the house and this compares well to them. The sound is great. The screen is no where close to the iPad but it is usable. The glare on it sucks and I am considering an anti-glare screen protector.

It seems to have a wifi issue with some channels. The first day it was constantly dropping and I had to shut down the wifi and turn it back on every 5 minutes. This seems to have settled down and now I can stay connected.

Overall this is a nice machine. It seems relatively solid and the battery can get through the day. It recognized a USB drive with no problems and even a standard USB keyboard- just plug it in and go. For the price it is well worth it. I can't see spending twice as much for a galaxy or xoom (even though I am lusting for a wifi only Xoom).

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

yeah the key is FOR THE PRICE
there are little glitchy things, you have to hack the android market onto it (and even then not all apps appear, some are stuffed by the soft buttons e.g. screen cutoff etc.)

its nowhere close to ipad responsiveness or slickness. But for the technically inclined who don't mind to waste a few hours tuning it, its a capable little machine. I'm v happy with the price/performance. Also the form factor is perfect (one handed operation is fine), and as a media player it excels. Far better than the really cheap apad clones, the A-8 cortex processor + capacitive screen means that it actually does perform at an acceptable speed, though once again (esp noticeable with heavy web pages) its not an ipad, but good enough. You really have to know droid apps though to get the most out of it, e.g. the included PDF reader or adobe PDF reader stinks but ezPDF and you're away. Miren browser is snappier and more feature filled than stock. etc.
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!

Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!

Thanked 1,633 Times in 894 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute000 View Post
yeah the key is FOR THE PRICE
there are little glitchy things, you have to hack the android market onto it (and even then not all apps appear, some are stuffed by the soft buttons e.g. screen cutoff etc.)

its nowhere close to ipad responsiveness or slickness. But for the technically inclined who don't mind to waste a few hours tuning it, its a capable little machine. I'm v happy with the price/performance. Also the form factor is perfect (one handed operation is fine), and as a media player it excels. Far better than the really cheap apad clones, the A-8 cortex processor + capacitive screen means that it actually does perform at an acceptable speed, though once again (esp noticeable with heavy web pages) its not an ipad, but good enough. You really have to know droid apps though to get the most out of it, e.g. the included PDF reader or adobe PDF reader stinks but ezPDF and you're away. Miren browser is snappier and more feature filled than stock. etc.
Exactly! If you are expecting iPad performance you won't get it. But you won't pay $500-$600 either.

Enjoy
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Yep. Price is a factor in the positive review. Predictive text in the included keyboard doesn't work. Wifi is a bit shaky sometimes. The responsive of the screen is fine but the software lags occassionally.

Quickoffice ripped from the Adam rocks. The gingerbread keyboard isgreat but crashes if you plug in an external keyboard.

See a more full review at edtchadmin.blogspot.com
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!

ubrocked@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagner53 View Post
Yep. Price is a factor in the positive review. Predictive text in the included keyboard doesn't work. Wifi is a bit shaky sometimes. The responsive of the screen is fine but the software lags occassionally.

Quickoffice ripped from the Adam rocks. The gingerbread keyboard isgreat but crashes if you plug in an external keyboard.

See a more full review at edtchadmin.blogspot.com
Thumb Keyboard is available in the market for less than $2 and IMO, it is the best keyboard option available for this tablet. Multiple keyboard layouts, multiple themes, predictive text works well and it is pretty responsive (although the first key press can be sluggish as with all keyboards I have used on this device...even the stock keyboard).
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 (I9200) w/ Stock Jelly Bean (4.2.2) Samsung Note (N7000) w/ Rooted Stock Je
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute000 View Post
But for the technically inclined who don't mind to waste a few hours tuning it, its a capable little machine.
Ouch... I wonder what the iPad is to the technically inclined then.
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!

ubrocked@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post
Ouch... I wonder what the iPad is to the technically inclined then.
Too expensive
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagner53 View Post
My Archos 101 finally arrived this week. So far I am impressed, sort of. Out of the box the thing was slow. There is something wrong with Archos' implementation of the launcher. Using any other launcher (I chose launcher pro) the device speed is MUCH faster. The screen is responsive. Getting the market and other google apps installed took all of 5 minutes.

Basically it is a pretty capable tablet. I have 2 iPads in the house and this compares well to them. The sound is great. The screen is no where close to the iPad but it is usable. The glare on it sucks and I am considering an anti-glare screen protector.

It seems to have a wifi issue with some channels. The first day it was constantly dropping and I had to shut down the wifi and turn it back on every 5 minutes. This seems to have settled down and now I can stay connected.

Overall this is a nice machine. It seems relatively solid and the battery can get through the day. It recognized a USB drive with no problems and even a standard USB keyboard- just plug it in and go. For the price it is well worth it. I can't see spending twice as much for a galaxy or xoom (even though I am lusting for a wifi only Xoom).
Try getting the firmware updates for the Xoom, like we have from Archos....that is why I got the archos, because they care about making their tablet better......Verizon will put out an update, 1 every year if you are lucky
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Try rooting it and loading the urukdroid ROM.
All are available over at xda forums.
then install the lcd density changer app and change the density to about 220 or 240.
You'll be amazed at the improved look and feel. It's like having a different device, like a pimped out galaxy tab with a bigger screen.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ARCHOS 101