Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ARCHOS 101

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: O2

Default Tablet for 11-year-old?

My son has been saving hard and has 250. Since I got my HTC Desire 3 weeks ago he has really enjoyed using it and we have had fun downloading apps from the Market. He's now trying to work out whether to buy a tablet with his money. I have looked at the non-branded ones like this A1CS X220 TABLET 10.2" ANDROID 2.1, WIFI, MIFI, HDMI, 1080P, GPS WITH CAM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories but I would rather go for a recognised brand.

As there is no general tablet forum I thought that I'd post in here as I have been looking at the Archos 70 which can be bought from ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics for 207 for the 8Gb version. Is this a good choice and are there any others I should be considering? It would mostly be used for games and internet access and maybe watching video. There is a 250Gb version and this may be worth it to get more video on. Can anyone explain how I would get the video on to the tablet and how many Mb/Gbs a 90-minute film would take up?

Thanks for any help.

sponsored links
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!

Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanked 1,593 Times in 863 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinmac1 View Post
My son has been saving hard and has 250. Since I got my HTC Desire 3 weeks ago he has really enjoyed using it and we have had fun downloading apps from the Market. He's now trying to work out whether to buy a tablet with his money. I have looked at the non-branded ones like this A1CS X220 TABLET 10.2" ANDROID 2.1, WIFI, MIFI, HDMI, 1080P, GPS WITH CAM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories but I would rather go for a recognised brand.

As there is no general tablet forum I thought that I'd post in here as I have been looking at the Archos 70 which can be bought from ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics for 207 for the 8Gb version. Is this a good choice and are there any others I should be considering? It would mostly be used for games and internet access and maybe watching video. There is a 250Gb version and this may be worth it to get more video on. Can anyone explain how I would get the video on to the tablet and how many Mb/Gbs a 90-minute film would take up?

Thanks for any help.
Two good options in the $250-$300 price range are the Archos 70/101 tablets and the NOOKcolor. I own both and there are pros and cons to each one. The NOOKcolor has better development but the Archos has better multimedia functionality IMO.

The $250 GB version is definately a media-centric device with crazy storage capacity...but you do pay more for that.

How much space does a movie take? Well, it depends on the quality of the video. A HD Blu-Ray rip can take upwards of 7GB but a DVD quality rip takes up considerably less room.

As for getting the video on a tablet...you just hook the tablet up to a computer, and mount the tablet (you will see a "USB Connected" notification on the Archos and the NC will automatically mount). After that, your computer will just see that device as a storage device (like a usb flash drive)...and you just copy the file over to the tablet's SD card (or the tablet's internal storage). The 8GB version of the Archos 70 for example has 8GB available straight out of the box...and an extra SD card slot that will accept up to a 32GB micro-SD card.
Last edited by UBRocked; February 13th, 2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

UBRocked, many thanks for the feedback. I had a look at the specs and have gone for the Archos 70 250Gb. I looked at the 8Gb but figured that I would soon want to add some storage via a micro SD card and then I would regret not going for the 250GB. Thanks again fo the help. My son is so excited he can't wait for it to arrive.
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!

Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!

Thanked 1,593 Times in 863 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinmac1 View Post
UBRocked, many thanks for the feedback. I had a look at the specs and have gone for the Archos 70 250Gb. I looked at the 8Gb but figured that I would soon want to add some storage via a micro SD card and then I would regret not going for the 250GB. Thanks again fo the help. My son is so excited he can't wait for it to arrive.
No Problem. If you are looking for a media-centric device the 250GB version is hard to beat (in fact...that level of storage is pretty much unmatched).

Once you get it, add the google market and you'll be all set.

Enjoy!
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

A divx or xvid dvd rip will usually use 700-800mb. Hi def rips go from 1 gb upwards and may be of interest because i think the archos can play hi def.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

I encode my DVD rips to 2GB or so each. Makes it easy, I can use the same file on my evo, my archos, my kids' tablets, and my HTPC. My 10 and 12 year olds have tablets. They are surprisingly good to them.

Evo and archos have 16GB cards...good for more movies than I need handy at any given time. I wouldn't mind the 250, it just wasn't out and I suck at waiting
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

My son's going great guns with his Archos. Have used DVDFab to rip and each DVD is about 1 Gb.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ARCHOS 101