Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ARCHOS 101

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 27th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): X10i, 3UK
Carrier: Not Provided

Default My new archos 101 :-)

Hi guy
First of all hope you all enjoyed Christmas as much as I did an are looking forward to new year, now second I got an archos 101 for xmas and as I got to grips with it I realised it didn't have Android market. Now can I download android market and the apps I have purchased on my xperia x10 can I download them to my archos too? An sometimes it seems very laggy an I havnt been able to download anything as the stock app market force closes as well as every other pre loaded app. Help with this please?

sponsored links
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Desire HD

I bought my wife one. Installed Arctools from Appslib to get the proper market. But that wont help you if Appslib is crashing. Can only suggest trying a firmware update or a reset.
The Following User Says Thank You to FCUM For This Useful Post:
jhnelo (January 5th, 2012)
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCUM View Post
I bought my wife one. Installed Arctools from Appslib to get the proper market. But that wont help you if Appslib is crashing. Can only suggest trying a firmware update or a reset.
thanks!

can i change how sensitive the touch screen is?
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Have you got it working ok?

I dont think you can increase the sensitivity. You can calibrate it though in the repair menu, but Ive found the screen to be quite sensitive.
The Following User Says Thank You to FCUM For This Useful Post:
jhnelo (January 5th, 2012)
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Just bought a HDMI cable for it and picture quality is good. Only thing not happy about is how slow it is. Loading up an application (I don't have many) is there a way to speed it up? Thanks
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Its never going to be the fastest on account of it being a budget tablet but try installing a new launcher. Ive installed Zeam on the wifes and it runs a lot smoother and uses less memory. Im perfectly happy with the performance after doing this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FCUM For This Useful Post:
jhnelo (January 5th, 2012), nuismer (January 5th, 2012)
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

How do i no what gen archos 101 i have? i only have android 2.2 and up to date...
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Le Pan II, Galaxy Tab 8.9, Galaxy Player 5.0,Pandigital SuperNova, Arnova 7 G3,Viewsonic G Tab - Fla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnelo View Post
How do i no what gen archos 101 i have? i only have android 2.2 and up to date...
You have a Gen 8 101. Gen 9 101's have Android 3 (Honeycomb)
The Following User Says Thank You to nuismer For This Useful Post:
jhnelo (January 12th, 2012)
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

A word of advice. Ditch the stock launcher and download "go launcher ex." It will help with some of the lag. Also download the task manger widget within the go launcher. It will help because the archos has very little ram and a task manager is a must. Also if you download too many apps them the archos becomes very sluggish.
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

I know exactly how you feel, got mine for xmas and got incredibly frustrated with AppsLib, it's extremely slow and prone to crashing. Once you've got arctools and the android market on it however you can just ignore it.

Things I've done to speed it up:

Switched from the stock launcher to LauncherPro (others work just as well but Zeam apparently is compatible :s ).
Deleted all items on the stock launcher desktop (new launcher runs in front of it so it has to load up any items on the stock one as well).
Go to Settings/About Device/ Power Management/Power Management Mode - and switch it to Overdrive (consumes a little more battery but improves performace, haven't noticed battery drain that much)
Keep any apps you want to load quicker on the system storage and not in internal storage

I better explain this one as it confused me. When you install an app it goes to system storage, but system sotrage is quite small (2gb or less I think). If you go into application management you can transfer each app (some don't allow it) to internal storage (the rest of your built in memory), however if you do this they take longer to load up when you start the device.

Despite their titles I haven't actually found an app to transfer apps to an SD card yet, they just transfer them to internal storage (sometimes called the internal SD card), rather than any external SD card you have. (I purchased myself a 32gb one to store movies on! ).
sponsored links
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossTiger View Post
I know exactly how you feel, got mine for xmas and got incredibly frustrated with AppsLib, it's extremely slow and prone to crashing. Once you've got arctools and the android market on it however you can just ignore it.

Things I've done to speed it up:

Switched from the stock launcher to LauncherPro (others work just as well but Zeam apparently is compatible :s ).
Deleted all items on the stock launcher desktop (new launcher runs in front of it so it has to load up any items on the stock one as well).
Go to Settings/About Device/ Power Management/Power Management Mode - and switch it to Overdrive (consumes a little more battery but improves performace, haven't noticed battery drain that much)
Keep any apps you want to load quicker on the system storage and not in internal storage

I better explain this one as it confused me. When you install an app it goes to system storage, but system sotrage is quite small (2gb or less I think). If you go into application management you can transfer each app (some don't allow it) to internal storage (the rest of your built in memory), however if you do this they take longer to load up when you start the device.

Despite their titles I haven't actually found an app to transfer apps to an SD card yet, they just transfer them to internal storage (sometimes called the internal SD card), rather than any external SD card you have. (I purchased myself a 32gb one to store movies on! ).
Wow you seem to know quite a bit. I have just purchased the Archos 101 internet tablet. Do you know where I can purchase movies to keep ? Do I need to get a differnt programme to watch them , many thanks
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by soorazzzz View Post
Wow you seem to know quite a bit. I have just purchased the Archos 101 internet tablet. Do you know where I can purchase movies to keep ? Do I need to get a differnt programme to watch them , many thanks
Hmm, not sure about where to purchase the movies from. What I tend to do is buy movies on DVD and rip them onto my computer, I know your strictly not meant to rip them onto your computer but I've paid for them and simply want to watch them on a different device.

Never had a problem watching movies using the video player that comes with the Archos, all my files are saved as AVI files and play fine.

P.S Interesting point, if you store your movies on your external SD card it doesn't save the point at which you were upto in the movie like it does usually.

EDIT: http://www.magicdvdripper.com/ is the program I use to rip DVD's if your interested. There is a freee trial for about 6 uses - handy hint, thats 6 times the program loads, not 6 rips, keep your computer running while you rip them all and your fine obviously over time you might have to look elsewhere though.
Last edited by RossTiger; February 1st, 2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old February 7th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

New update seems to have made alot of difference to my archos, runs smoother but would rather use my phone to scam about on the internet. If i root and install a rom will that help abit an sort it out?
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

It might. There are several ROM tools available on the market to use. I'm not gonna do it on mine for now as I usually don't mess about with hardware/software for the first year after I get it, you know, just incase I need to get it repaired.

Doesn't really apply as much for the archos, more for phones, but still

Please let me know how it goes if you do though.
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default need help with archos 101 sd card

My Archos 101 8 is always telling me I do not have enough space. Therefore, I cannot download anything. I am constantly having to delete games. I have a 16gb sd card installed. However nothing goes to the card. Memory usage shows that I have over 6gb left on the tablet itself and over 14gb on the card. How do I get everything to go to the card so I can use this tablet and enjoy it? Ready to trash this thing. What good is it? please email responses to puhnken@bellsouth.net. I am not computer savvy, so you really have to explain things to me, and I have had no responses back from Archos. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TY.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ARCHOS 101