So.. finally i decided, its about time.. I got sick of low disk space issue and went ahead to root my phone and decided to go with Froyo. So far, I am absolutely loving it.. Even nicer UI, smoother and faster performance..
Here is a very simple guide on the process in case anyone is interested.. ( i should mention here that although i m pretty good with Windows as an amateur, i have NO experience with Linux at all. I was using Windows 7 and i believe it should not be any different for Win XP or Win Vista. Also, i have never rooted any phone before)..
1. Root your phone using Unrevoked recovery installer: Follow the steps in this guide
or this guide
.. (either one is fine)
U only have to go as far as it says "Congratulations, your phone is now rooted and has ClockworkMod recovery installed."..
2. Then i made multiple backups of my phone using lookout, Astro, Gphone manager, Sprite backup and of course nandroid.. No u do not have to do all of these, probably nandroid is most important one but i just wanted to be ready as much as i could in case any thing didnt work too well!! I also copied the entire contents of my sd card to my pc..
I also noted down the names of all the apps that i was using on stock rom..
To make a nandroid backup, power off ur phone, press volume down button and keep holding it and press power on button. Use volume up/down key to go to "recovery" and use power button to select. Then go to nandroid and press power to select.. From there it is simple to make a backup..
3. Next step is to wipe data/factory reset: Again, power off ur phone, press volume down button and keep holding it and press power on button. Use volume up/down key to go to "recovery" and use power button to select. Now select "wipe data/factory reset" and confirm..
4. Download the ROM that u want to install, liberated froyo in my case, u can download it here
U can also use Liberated Aria rom
or cyanogen rom
5. Copy ur downloaded rom to ur sd card..
6. Again, power off ur phone, press volume down button and keep holding it and press power on button. Use volume up/down key to go to "recovery" and use power button to select. Select the zip file of the rom that u downloaded..
7. Sit back and relax till the phone is up n ready again.. Remember, first boot will take some time just like it did when u first started it after buying..
To Enable A2SD:
Backup your applications
Backup your sdcard
Partition your sdcard with ROM Manager with an ext partition option. (ROM manager is in Market)
This should start a special mode of clockwork recovery, which will partition the sdcard.
All credits to the work of original developers and writers. I only put it together in words..