Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Vildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham Al
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Asus TF700 Infinity tethered to an iPhone 5
Carrier: AT&T (Presently 30 Year Employee)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default After JB 4.2.1 Upgrade New Books not Showing up in /on My Bookshelf App

Updating to JB 4.2 everything seems to went well but now when I use Calibre to load my epub books or when I use the drag & drop method to add books, the books are not showing up in "My Bookshelf" app.

I can go to "File Manager" and do a manual search under "Books", They are there and I can touch and open and read them. That's not fun since I have over 150 books loaded. they are not DRM protected. Before I go to another app for my books, is anyone else having and found a solution to this problem???? Thanking you before hand for your replies....

Advertisements
Vildy is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 3,576
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy S4, Rooted Asus TF700, Stock HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 535
Thanked 831 Times in 551 Posts
Default

My GUESS is that it has something to do with the way the files on the sdcard are moved when upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2.
Try going to /mnt/shell/emulated and see if there are any files there, if there are move them to folder 0 (zero) - you may have to be rooted to do this, not sure.

On the other hand, Aldiko is a great book reader.
Podivin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Vildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham Al
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Asus TF700 Infinity tethered to an iPhone 5
Carrier: AT&T (Presently 30 Year Employee)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Thanks for the timely reply. The books are presence and show up in "/sdcard/books", which I can tap and open and read, they're just not showing up on "My Bookshelf" in My Library where I have them sorted by History, Fiction, Politics, War, etc.. Probably some crazy glitch that hosed everything up... I have cold booted, reset, etc..no luck. I'm thinking about moving to a more full-featured reader like Aldiko or Moon Reader or FBReader. Just sorting out the pros and cons of each of them. This problems with JB 4.2 and My Bookshelf is just puzzling...Thanks again
Vildy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vildy View Post
Thanks for the timely reply. The books are presence and show up in "/sdcard/books", which I can tap and open and read, they're just not showing up on "My Bookshelf" in My Library where I have them sorted by History, Fiction, Politics, War, etc.. Probably some crazy glitch that hosed everything up... I have cold booted, reset, etc..no luck. I'm thinking about moving to a more full-featured reader like Aldiko or Moon Reader or FBReader. Just sorting out the pros and cons of each of them. This problems with JB 4.2 and My Bookshelf is just puzzling...Thanks again
If you are rooted go to storage then emulated and see what files are there, if there are any there, move them to the 0 folder. It is a known issue and rooting can be done stock ATM. The files have to be in the 0 folder to be seen by apps now. You can also go into My Library settings and maybe change the location but I am not 100% sure.

Tylor
Tylorw1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Vildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham Al
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Asus TF700 Infinity tethered to an iPhone 5
Carrier: AT&T (Presently 30 Year Employee)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Thanks for the reply.. I'm not rooted yet.. Dying to do so but being a neophyte, I'm waiting for the warranty to expire.. I know you can flash the original backup ROM back to where it was factory-wise but "Murphy Law" is inextricably part of my being..Welcome to Brick City would be the first banner that would greet me..
Vildy is offline  
Last edited by Vildy; April 19th, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vildy View Post
Thanks for the reply.. I'm not rooted yet.. Dying to do so but being a neophyte, I'm waiting for the warranty to expire.. I know you can flash the original backup ROM back to where it was factory-wise but "Murphy Law" is inextricably part of my being..Welcome to Brick City would be the first banner that would greet me..
Rooting won't cause a brick lol. You don't need to unlock to root 4.1.1 or 4.2.1.

Tylor
Tylorw1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 3,576
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy S4, Rooted Asus TF700, Stock HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 535
Thanked 831 Times in 551 Posts
Default

One other thing to try is to clear both cache and data on the My Bookshelf app.
Podivin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
revel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Shropshire
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): HTC Hero,Ret Galaxy s2,Ret Nexus 4,Ret Nexus 5 Asus Transformer Infinity TF701, Nexus 7 2013
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Same problem found no answer.
But a free app UB reader works really well and the paid for version is
very cheap. And it works far better than the my library app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobisystems.ubreader_west&feature=n av_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd
revel is offline  
Last edited by revel; April 22nd, 2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Add play store marker
Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Vildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham Al
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Asus TF700 Infinity tethered to an iPhone 5
Carrier: AT&T (Presently 30 Year Employee)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Sorry, been out of town last few days...Thanks for all of the replies and helpful suggestions.. Unfortunately none of them solved the problem..

As for me, with all of it's warts, I kinda like My Library - My Bookshelf, in particularly, I like the sorting portion but it appears that I will have to move on to another epub book reader.. Appears that the JB 4.2 upgrade screwed this particular app up for me..

Reading different posts from other forums, it looks like a lot of other users are experiencing all sorts of different problems, so nothing is unique from one TF700 to another Tf700..
Vildy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Vildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham Al
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Asus TF700 Infinity tethered to an iPhone 5
Carrier: AT&T (Presently 30 Year Employee)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

FWIW, this might as well be a boat anchor.. Another problem..Battery draining like crazy with virtually everything turned off.. Can't read E books in My Library..Cool Reader...Aldiko..Moon Reader.. Think I have a major hardware problem of severe software glitch since JB 4.2 update..Did factory reset.. No help...BTW if followed the forum update procedure from the get go..

I would give just about anything to roll back to 4.1... It was great for me..No issues. Will be emailing Asus support to see if they have a solution...Some people having great experience with 4.2.. Count them among the lucky.

Forgive me for my rantings and thanks for allowing me get it off of my chest
Vildy is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 3,576
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy S4, Rooted Asus TF700, Stock HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 535
Thanked 831 Times in 551 Posts
Default

If you can't get any help from Asus, there is always the option to root the tablet and then use a custom ROM. My personal opinion is that the good custom ROMs are generally better than the stock one (that's been true on any device I've had so far).
I'm using CROMI-Xenogenesis and am quite happy with it.
Podivin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vildy View Post
FWIW, this might as well be a boat anchor.. Another problem..Battery draining like crazy with virtually everything turned off.. Can't read E books in My Library..Cool Reader...Aldiko..Moon Reader.. Think I have a major hardware problem of severe software glitch since JB 4.2 update..Did factory reset.. No help...BTW if followed the forum update procedure from the get go..

I would give just about anything to roll back to 4.1... It was great for me..No issues. Will be emailing Asus support to see if they have a solution...Some people having great experience with 4.2.. Count them among the lucky.

Forgive me for my rantings and thanks for allowing me get it off of my chest
There are quite a few guides out there, but I made this one myself. Now, 4.2.1 is overall faster and more stable than 4.1.1. This is what I suggest you do.
1. Backup all apps and data(books music etc.) using the file manager when you are connected to the computer and ASUS' App Backup Tool.
2. Perform a factory reset.
3. After the factory reset, boot back into android, and use the guide I post below to force flash 4.2.1 again using the Boot Loop Method. Make sure you download the correct SKU version from ASUS' website. The process must have the exact name that I have given in the thread for your tablet.
4. After the flash is complete, boot into your tablet, and give it a couple minutes to stabilize, and perform another factory reset.
5. Remove the 4.2.1 firmware from your Micro SD card. It is important just incase if you click RCK again in the next step.
6. Load your books and apps back up, and perform a cold boot. You do this the same way you get to the RCK options to force flash 4.2.1, but instead of selecting RCK, use the volume down button to select "Android" and volume up on it, it will perform a cold boot.
7. Give the tablet 10 minutes to stabilize after the cold boot. And hopefully everything should work correctly after that.

Now, for power related problems. In settings, apps, disable Maps unless you use it of course. Now, disable GPS and ASUS Sync in the pull up menu in the bottom right hand corner. If you need to use it later you can always enable it for a short time and turn it back off. Now, go into ASUS customized settings and set your wifi to "Always" shut off when the tablet is asleep. Also when reading, change your tablet into Power Save Mode since reading doesnt require very much CPU and GPU power.

Tylor

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35719

Edit: Also, the volume down button is the volume button facing the power button, just a fyi because some have confusion.
Tylorw1 is offline  
Last edited by Tylorw1; April 25th, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Vildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham Al
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Asus TF700 Infinity tethered to an iPhone 5
Carrier: AT&T (Presently 30 Year Employee)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Thanks for listening to my rants..I'm leaning more and more toward rooting.. Being a non-techie, there is always the fear of screwing something up. For people like myself, there is always Murphy's Law and it's compadre, Ginsberg's theorem on Thermodynamics. You know:
You can't win,
you can't break even,
and you canít even get out of the game

Thanking everyone again .........
Vildy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vildy View Post
Thanks for listening to my rants..I'm leaning more and more toward rooting.. Being a non-techie, there is always the fear of screwing something up. For people like myself, there is always Murphy's Law and it's compadre, Ginsberg's theorem on Thermodynamics. You know:
You can't win,
you can't break even,
and you canít even get out of the game

Thanking everyone again .........
Since you already have done a factory reset before, I am guessing you already have things backed up, so try what I suggest. Will take you maybe a half hour.

Tylor
Tylorw1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Vildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham Al
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Asus TF700 Infinity tethered to an iPhone 5
Carrier: AT&T (Presently 30 Year Employee)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Hi all, I went with Mantano Ebooks Reader Premium for for $6.99. Will take a little getting use to but it appears to be a fairly decent program. Decided against Aldiko, Cool Reader and Moon + Reader Pro, just didn't appeal to me. Mantano appeared to have a few better options.

I gave up on Asus support. To be honest with you, the people on this site are head and shoulders above Asus support. You guys respond a lot faster and the info/help that you give is more detailed and extremely helpful and more often than not, you guys resolve problems or hold our hands as we work our way to a solution...
Vildy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vildy View Post
Hi all, I went with Mantano Ebooks Reader Premium for for $6.99. Will take a little getting use to but it appears to be a fairly decent program. Decided against Aldiko, Cool Reader and Moon + Reader Pro, just didn't appeal to me. Mantano appeared to have a few better options.

I gave up on Asus support. To be honest with you, the people on this site are head and shoulders above Asus support. You guys respond a lot faster and the info/help that you give is more detailed and extremely helpful and more often than not, you guys resolve problems or hold our hands as we work our way to a solution...
Yes ASUS support is pretty craptastic, HOWEVER, only so much can actually be answered if you know the answer. ASUS support team is not the people who create the software or ROM, so they dont know it inside and out, and if the ROM creation team do know about it, more then likely they will fix it in a patch later on.

I agree with you. I use Montano over the stock reading apps as well. I think it functions better AND you can select the directory, thus solving any type of problem of that sorts.

If there is anything else you need dont hesitate to ask any of the fine people here. I am over in XDA, TransformerForums, and these forums so it may take a bit for me to answer you quickly.

Tylor
Tylorw1 is offline  
Last edited by Tylorw1; April 28th, 2013 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Vildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham Al
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Asus TF700 Infinity tethered to an iPhone 5
Carrier: AT&T (Presently 30 Year Employee)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Tylor, thanks for the quick response.

What app do you use to play music?? Is there something better than the "Play Music" app. I'm comfortable with Play Music. I really appreciate the lay out and the sorting features i.e, Recent, Albums, Artist, etc.. Thanking you beforehand...
Vildy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vildy View Post
Tylor, thanks for the quick response.

What app do you use to play music?? Is there something better than the "Play Music" app. I'm comfortable with Play Music. I really appreciate the lay out and the sorting features i.e, Recent, Albums, Artist, etc.. Thanking you beforehand...
I actually purchased Poweramp for myself, but Rocket Player and Musixmatch are both really nice to. Musixmatch has scrolling lyrics. But Rocket Player and Power Amp both have its own equalizer. Power Amp also has a PreAmp for when you need volume louder then what the tablet actually allows.

Tylor
Tylorw1 is offline  
Last edited by Tylorw1; April 29th, 2013 at 12:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Vildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham Al
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Asus TF700 Infinity tethered to an iPhone 5
Carrier: AT&T (Presently 30 Year Employee)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Finally, my response for Asus: What a joke !!!!! I've moved on with Mantano Reader Premium and Poweramp thanks Tylor


Dear Thomas,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Joe and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

If the problem still exsits,you may try to contact our local service center for help.
Here is the contact information.The telephone number is 888-678-3688 (24/7 support).

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Joe
ASUS Product Support Team
812-282-2787
Vildy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vildy View Post
Finally, my response for Asus: What a joke !!!!! I've moved on with Mantano Reader Premium and Poweramp thanks Tylor


Dear Thomas,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Joe and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

If the problem still exsits,you may try to contact our local service center for help.
Here is the contact information.The telephone number is 888-678-3688 (24/7 support).

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Joe
ASUS Product Support Team
812-282-2787
LOLL Nice response Joe, lol, as if that is helpful. Your best bet is forums. And no problem. I am even unlocked and use other apps. The stock apps are not even worth it. Heck if unlocking didnt void warranty, then everyone would be doing it cause the stock is not THAT great. I now use CromiX 4.4 which was just given to me to test last night, and has been finally released today and My tablet runs like a champ.
Quadrant Score: 6939

Tylor
Tylorw1 is offline  
Last edited by Tylorw1; April 30th, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.