Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Things I would like improved in the ASUS Transformer Infinity (TF700T)

So, I've spent a couple of months with the ASUS TF700T and its keyboard dock. Time to rant about things I don't like.
1) Startup time. Cold boot takes more than a minute. This is truly sad when Windows 8 Ultrabooks and Macbooks boot in seconds. Slower processor based android phones also boot faster. Why ASUS? What are you doing in this minute?
2) Critical Bugs. By that I mean glitches that cause the tablet to hang, randomly reboot or randomly shutdown. It's not hot. It's not being used for hours. It just crashes the kernel. It should NOT do that ASUS. I don't need that. Crash the app if you have to, not the whole tablet! Similarly with hot-plugging the dock sometimes.
3) Non-critical Bugs. That refers to little things that don't really affect productivity with the tablet but are driving me (and many others) insane.
a) What is this graphics card driver / whatever else issue that causes the random black lines to flicker on the screen at random intervals? What are these lines? ASUS, you can definitely reproduce this. This is not found on any other android device that I own (Samsung and HTC phones and tablets mainly). I realise it may not be a big deal (stuff does not crash at least), but this is a 500 tablet. This should not be an issue. Really.
b) What is wrong with the keyboard driver? Why do I need an independent app (External Keyboard Helper) to enjoy my hardware keyboard dock that you charge 100? How can this guy make such a great app, with no issues with dead keys (you know what I mean - greek 'tonos' or accent), and you, ASUS, after breaking this functionality on Jelly Bean, can't find a fix? Buy his keyboard and bundle it with your tablets, that's my answer. Give up on this ridiculous "ASUS Keyboard". It's a joke needing a separate keyboard for every language, particularly one that does not work properly. Use Google's standard. Use Hacker's Keyboard from the market (free!). Use Swype. Whatever.
4) Missing features. You give us a tablet with a hardware keyboard having a USB slot. What do people use USB for? No, it's not to plug in a keyboard. It's probably not to plug in a mouse either. External storage maybe, but less so in this cloud-ridden world where everything is on Dropbox.
Charging their phones is what they will use it for. Their iPhones, Androids and whatever. Why can't we do that with the tablet screen off ASUS? Is Apple smarter and they can code the Macbook Air circuitry better? Is this not something people want? I may not need 18h of tablet time - just a charge for my phone. Why should I need to keep the tablet on for that?
5) A 3G / 4G / whatever model, priced competitively. I know I can tether. I'd like to save myself the trouble, and my phone's battery since it is so damn difficult to charge with the built in dock anyway. It's not that hard, it will let carriers offer your tablet as a bundle, it will make you money. The iPad does it, Samsung does it. The only tablets that don't do it are Amazon's - and there are 3G Kindles out there.

5 things. Can you fix them?
Note that stuff like "my generation 1 iPad browses and reads email faster" and "X phone / tablet costing half as much is on 4.2.2 already" and "why should I need to void my warranty to install custom ROMs" are left out here. I don't particularly care about these.

I think the TF700T is an amazing feat of engineering. An incredible, sharp screen, a great form factor, a good looking set with the dock keyboard. But I'm sorry, I'm a guy who regularly forks out 600 on tablets or gadgets and my next tablet will be an iPad or a Samsung or a Kindle. It's just not worth it. I have no patience anymore, because I know that I can get my work done more efficiently with a 3rd party external keyboard and any other tablet. Heck, I can even get a phone, a keyboard and a HDMI screen for the money, and even run Ubuntu more stably.

PS: I am posting this on every android forum I know, just in case find a solution for some of these problems...

Advertisements
bromptonista is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromptonista View Post
So, I've spent a couple of months with the ASUS TF700T and its keyboard dock. Time to rant about things I don't like.
1) Startup time. Cold boot takes more than a minute. This is truly sad when Windows 8 Ultrabooks and Macbooks boot in seconds. Slower processor based android phones also boot faster. Why ASUS? What are you doing in this minute?
2) Critical Bugs. By that I mean glitches that cause the tablet to hang, randomly reboot or randomly shutdown. It's not hot. It's not being used for hours. It just crashes the kernel. It should NOT do that ASUS. I don't need that. Crash the app if you have to, not the whole tablet! Similarly with hot-plugging the dock sometimes.
3) Non-critical Bugs. That refers to little things that don't really affect productivity with the tablet but are driving me (and many others) insane.
a) What is this graphics card driver / whatever else issue that causes the random black lines to flicker on the screen at random intervals? What are these lines? ASUS, you can definitely reproduce this. This is not found on any other android device that I own (Samsung and HTC phones and tablets mainly). I realise it may not be a big deal (stuff does not crash at least), but this is a 500 tablet. This should not be an issue. Really.
b) What is wrong with the keyboard driver? Why do I need an independent app (External Keyboard Helper) to enjoy my hardware keyboard dock that you charge 100? How can this guy make such a great app, with no issues with dead keys (you know what I mean - greek 'tonos' or accent), and you, ASUS, after breaking this functionality on Jelly Bean, can't find a fix? Buy his keyboard and bundle it with your tablets, that's my answer. Give up on this ridiculous "ASUS Keyboard". It's a joke needing a separate keyboard for every language, particularly one that does not work properly. Use Google's standard. Use Hacker's Keyboard from the market (free!). Use Swype. Whatever.
4) Missing features. You give us a tablet with a hardware keyboard having a USB slot. What do people use USB for? No, it's not to plug in a keyboard. It's probably not to plug in a mouse either. External storage maybe, but less so in this cloud-ridden world where everything is on Dropbox.
Charging their phones is what they will use it for. Their iPhones, Androids and whatever. Why can't we do that with the tablet screen off ASUS? Is Apple smarter and they can code the Macbook Air circuitry better? Is this not something people want? I may not need 18h of tablet time - just a charge for my phone. Why should I need to keep the tablet on for that?
5) A 3G / 4G / whatever model, priced competitively. I know I can tether. I'd like to save myself the trouble, and my phone's battery since it is so damn difficult to charge with the built in dock anyway. It's not that hard, it will let carriers offer your tablet as a bundle, it will make you money. The iPad does it, Samsung does it. The only tablets that don't do it are Amazon's - and there are 3G Kindles out there.

5 things. Can you fix them?
Note that stuff like "my generation 1 iPad browses and reads email faster" and "X phone / tablet costing half as much is on 4.2.2 already" and "why should I need to void my warranty to install custom ROMs" are left out here. I don't particularly care about these.

I think the TF700T is an amazing feat of engineering. An incredible, sharp screen, a great form factor, a good looking set with the dock keyboard. But I'm sorry, I'm a guy who regularly forks out 600 on tablets or gadgets and my next tablet will be an iPad or a Samsung or a Kindle. It's just not worth it. I have no patience anymore, because I know that I can get my work done more efficiently with a 3rd party external keyboard and any other tablet. Heck, I can even get a phone, a keyboard and a HDMI screen for the money, and even run Ubuntu more stably.

PS: I am posting this on every android forum I know, just in case find a solution for some of these problems...
1.The startup time has to do with the speed that the internal storage can read. On a custom rom it usually only take about 40 seconds to boot. Internal storage is not fixable unless you replace hardware, it is not a driver issue. However, it has gotten better with 4.2.1.
2. The reboot are caused by apps that you have. A fresh install on stock 4.2.1 does not have barely if any reboots or crashes.
3. A. The black line issue is also unsolvable. The Dev community has worked on it for ages, unless ASUS can find a miracle cure. It has to do with the screen has a 60 refresh rate. The GPU does not refresh at the rate all the time, thus the cause of the black line. It is not a big deal, only a hassle, and it can again be minimized with a tweaked kernel.
B. I dont use ASUS' keyboard. I use the swipe or the Android keyboard, which I see as a person preference issue, so there is no REAL issue with ASUS.
4. I believe this has to do with when the tablet is asleep, it also puts the keyboard to sleep for battery saving purposes. Have you ever tried unchecking the battery saver in ASUS customized settings to see if that will keep it on while the screen is off?
5. That again is personal preference. If the tablet was indeed 3g or 4g the battery would drain much much quicker. But it is truthfully nothing that is needing complaining about. If you want a 3g tablet, choose one.

The browser issue is with the internal storage. Browser2Ram will fix that issue, AND rooting does not void your warranty.
Some things can be fixed and some cant, it is a shame stock runs so crappily, but there is nothing that can be done with it. Also, ASUS ALWAYS stays 1 behind the latest, thus when Key Lime Pie, which I believe to be 5, is released, ASUS will update to 4.2.2. I am loving my tf700, but it does have a custom ROM on it, but if you are that frustrated, it is worth doing .

Tylor
PS I answered this also in Transformer forums. Unless you are willing to unlock your tablet, most things will still be there. CromiX solves the browser issue, and startup, keyboard is which you use, so no issue there.
Tylorw1 is offline  
Last edited by Tylorw1; April 27th, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for your reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
1.The startup time has to do with the speed that the internal storage can read. On a custom rom it usually only take about 40 seconds to boot. Internal storage is not fixable unless you replace hardware, it is not a driver issue. However, it has gotten better with 4.2.1.
2. The reboot are caused by apps that you have. A fresh install on stock 4.2.1 does not have barely if any reboots or crashes.
After a factory reset and leaving the ROM to stabilise, boot is 40-45 sec for me. With no apps installed, no emails, no contacts. It's good to know that I can't do anything to improve that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
3. A. The black line issue is also unsolvable. The Dev community has worked on it for ages, unless ASUS can find a miracle cure. It has to do with the screen has a 60 refresh rate. The GPU does not refresh at the rate all the time, thus the cause of the black line. It is not a big deal, only a hassle, and it can again be minimized with a tweaked kernel.
Thanks for that, it's the first time that I come accross this explanation. I will unlock the device that gets RMA'd and install a different kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
I believe this has to do with when the tablet is asleep, it also puts the keyboard to sleep for battery saving purposes. Have you ever tried unchecking the battery saver in ASUS customized settings to see if that will keep it on while the screen is off?

The browser issue is with the internal storage. Browser2Ram will fix that issue, AND rooting does not void your warranty.
Some things can be fixed and some cant, it is a shame stock runs so crappily, but there is nothing that can be done with it. Also, ASUS ALWAYS stays 1 behind the latest, thus when Key Lime Pie, which I believe to be 5, is released, ASUS will update to 4.2.2. I am loving my tf700, but it does have a custom ROM on it, but if you are that frustrated, it is worth doing .

Tylor
PS I answered this also in Transformer forums. Unless you are willing to unlock your tablet, most things will still be there. CromiX solves the browser issue, and startup, keyboard is which you use, so no issue there.
I will try the battery saving option again and CromiX.
bromptonista is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Try disabling the asus bloatware that you dont use like asus sync, you have a google account so you shouldnt need another sync app. Also if you use a different weather app then you can disable the asus weather app and widget. These are just some examples but they do speed up your tablet, just remember to reboot your system after to make sure they take.
lordberetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I use the ASUS keyboard and would like to see the battery-use paradigm fully deplete the keyboard battery before starting to use the battery in the tablet.

I would also like to see the tablet allow charging from ANY type A USB connection. Type A USB outlets are appearing everywhere nowadays. Currently only the ASUS charger works with the ASUS tablet.
Minnechuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
colchiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,886
 
Device(s): HP TouchPad, HTC One Max, Dell Venue 11 Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 840
Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,413 Posts
Default

On my TF700T, the keyboard battery gets quite low and the tablet is still around 90%.
colchiro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas, NC
Posts: 119
 
Device(s): Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchiro View Post
On my TF700T, the keyboard battery gets quite low and the tablet is still around 90%.

Same here. Keyboard battery used up first.
rscarawa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscarawa View Post
Same here. Keyboard battery used up first.
Same here. Keyboard drains first.
bromptonista is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 374
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 19
Thanked 82 Times in 63 Posts
Default

The way it's set up our basically issues
uses the keyboard battery all the way anyway. Once the tablet battery gets to 70 or 75% the keyboard starts charging the tablet, and it does this until the keyboard battery is dead.
tensazan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Asus Infinity Prime, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Default

My tablet drains first, then the keyboard, e.g., the tablet is at 74% now, the keyboard at 94%. Stock system.
sparksd is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
colchiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,886
 
Device(s): HP TouchPad, HTC One Max, Dell Venue 11 Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 840
Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,413 Posts
Default

I think you're referring to the dock drain issue.

Try booting with the dock attached and leave it attached. If you disconnect/reconnect, the tablet drains first (if I understand the issue correctly).
colchiro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
snuggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago/NW Indiana
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): Note 2, ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T (junk) now a paper weight! Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 91
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Default

I finally put this asus tf700 piece of laggy crap to rest!

What a night and day difference with my new Sansung Galaxy note 10.1 !!!!! This tablet is so smooth and user friendly I don't know why I ever waited to put that Sh#&BOX to rest!!!!
snuggles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
colchiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,886
 
Device(s): HP TouchPad, HTC One Max, Dell Venue 11 Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 840
Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,413 Posts
Default

Time to root it and install Cromi-X.
colchiro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
snuggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago/NW Indiana
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): Note 2, ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T (junk) now a paper weight! Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 91
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Default

I just dont have the time right now to root. I need to power it on and work as advertised!
snuggles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.