Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Captivate > Captivate - All Things Root
Captivate - All Things Root Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, etc.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default OCLF - What is it? What difference will I see? Totally lost...

I am a total noob when it comes to 'rooting' with oclf. I have read many threads on it and am still having a hard time understanding what it does. Am I still running Android if I use this? I know it makes the phone run faster, but how? Will it change the way my phone looks?

Totally lost. If someone could explain, in laymans terms, what OCLF is and does - pros and cons - I would be forever grateful!!

hollywoodroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CrimsonPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north alabama
Posts: 1,482
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 201 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodroid View Post
I am a total noob when it comes to 'rooting' with oclf. I have read many threads on it and am still having a hard time understanding what it does. Am I still running Android if I use this? I know it makes the phone run faster, but how? Will it change the way my phone looks?

Totally lost. If someone could explain, in laymans terms, what OCLF is and does - pros and cons - I would be forever grateful!!
all rooting does is allow you access to parts of the phone that are generally blocked, thus rooting allows you to change memory allocated to different parts of the phone..

the one click lag fix in the market, "oclf", has a one click root with it. its hard to explain how it works, i think i kind of understand but i wont try to explain as i may not be right

but your phone will look exactly the same, all the lag fix does is uses some of your memory for faster executing of commands. its still android and everything, the oclf even has a one click unlag fix and unroot.
CrimsonPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonPride For This Useful Post:
hollywoodroid (October 23rd, 2010)
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Thanks, that does help. I did see that there is an OCLF with ads and without -- does that mean it puts ads on my phone? Or just when running the OCLF program?
hollywoodroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CrimsonPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north alabama
Posts: 1,482
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 201 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodroid View Post
Thanks, that does help. I did see that there is an OCLF with ads and without -- does that mean it puts ads on my phone? Or just when running the OCLF program?
its just in the program, the paid version is really a donate version to support the dev
CrimsonPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonPride For This Useful Post:
hollywoodroid (October 23rd, 2010)
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Klaatu barada nikto
 
reinbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate, 2.3.3, Serendipity VII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 174
Thanked 211 Times in 165 Posts
Default

You can use the root option and not install the lag fix - I did it that way, as I've seen no real lag that's nasty enough to bother me, YMMV.
__________________
Ann, Palm refugee, learning to grok Android. Perhaps your answer is in the CapFAQ
Excellent video tutorials, watch and learn!!
Now on Serendipity VII, click link to learn more
Did you read the first post in the thread?
reinbeau is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

are there "directions" on how to apply this to your phone? i've read off of XDA:

Copy over the APK file onto your phone, and run/install it as normal using 'My Files'. There will be a 'One Click Lag Fix' app installed. Run that, and select the option you want!

The app will automatically kill all running tasks, and enable flight mode. You should probably not use the device while the lag fix is running. If you accidentally hit back or home by mistake, re-enter the app and re-select the lag fix. It should still be running.

But i've also read about installing rom manager to "flash recovery", etc..??

Unfortunately i'm just getting into this and it's hard to sift through all the threads and posts when people talk about all sorts of problems because of installing over another lag fix, or having already rooted and running froyo, etc.

i know there can't be too much to this, but are there a simple 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...instructions on how to apply ryans oclf....?
harryzwd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CrimsonPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north alabama
Posts: 1,482
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 201 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzwd View Post
are there "directions" on how to apply this to your phone? i've read off of XDA:

Copy over the APK file onto your phone, and run/install it as normal using 'My Files'. There will be a 'One Click Lag Fix' app installed. Run that, and select the option you want!

The app will automatically kill all running tasks, and enable flight mode. You should probably not use the device while the lag fix is running. If you accidentally hit back or home by mistake, re-enter the app and re-select the lag fix. It should still be running.

But i've also read about installing rom manager to "flash recovery", etc..??

Unfortunately i'm just getting into this and it's hard to sift through all the threads and posts when people talk about all sorts of problems because of installing over another lag fix, or having already rooted and running froyo, etc.

i know there can't be too much to this, but are there a simple 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...instructions on how to apply ryans oclf....?
rom manager and flash recovery are needed to backup your current rom, you wont need it for just the oclf. i posted step by step direction in another thread around here about the oclf i'll try and find it. there are directions in the app all you need to know is how to get into recovery mode and that is just powering off your phone, hold both volume buttons down and press the power button, dont let go of the volume buttons till a menu pops up
CrimsonPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

thanks crimson - the recovery part is definitely something i would want to do. i'll look for your step by step too...this is the longest i've owned a phone without tinkering and i think i've held out about as long as i can.

crimson, were you referring to this:

go to the android market > search "oclf", there will be 2, free and paid both work > open oclf, there will be a root option and select it > it will do part of the root immediately, it will tell you to boot into recovery and select an option called "reinstall packages" > to get into recovery turn your phone off, hold both volume buttons down then press the power button and let go of it, dont let go of volume buttons until a menu pops up > this is where you select "reinstall packages" > the phone will reboot and you are rooted

i dont remember the directions on the lag fix, its very easy though and tells you how to do it

edit:

i installed to find out if i got everything and i missed one. you will need to install ext2 which there is an option for it in oclf. takes 5 seconds. then you run the lag fix and choose how big you want to make it, depending on how many apps you have. if you plan on having a whole lot then you can move the little slider up. i have alot but when i had 2.1 i put it up to 1gb but never came anywhere close to using that much
harryzwd is offline  
Last edited by harryzwd; October 25th, 2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: include copied instructions
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CrimsonPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north alabama
Posts: 1,482
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 201 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzwd View Post
thanks crimson - the recovery part is definitely something i would want to do. i'll look for your step by step too...this is the longest i've owned a phone without tinkering and i think i've held out about as long as i can.

crimson, were you referring to this:

go to the android market > search "oclf", there will be 2, free and paid both work > open oclf, there will be a root option and select it > it will do part of the root immediately, it will tell you to boot into recovery and select an option called "reinstall packages" > to get into recovery turn your phone off, hold both volume buttons down then press the power button and let go of it, dont let go of volume buttons until a menu pops up > this is where you select "reinstall packages" > the phone will reboot and you are rooted

i dont remember the directions on the lag fix, its very easy though and tells you how to do it

edit:

i installed to find out if i got everything and i missed one. you will need to install ext2 which there is an option for it in oclf. takes 5 seconds. then you run the lag fix and choose how big you want to make it, depending on how many apps you have. if you plan on having a whole lot then you can move the little slider up. i have alot but when i had 2.1 i put it up to 1gb but never came anywhere close to using that much
yea thats it. to do the backup you need to first root, then you need to download rom manager from the market. you can then open it and there will be an option to flash recovery at the top, choose your device and it will do that real fast. then there is an option to create or restore backups, all you do is name it and it does it all from there. you will then go into clockwork recovery and it will make a backup, it may take several minutes. but then you can always go back to how your phone was at that exact time even if it bricks
CrimsonPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

crimson - thanks again. i just installed ryan's OCLF per your instructions:

download and install OCLF from market
run OCLF and chose root device
restarted phone into recovery mode and chose "reinstall packages"
phone rebooted with superuser app installed - so it was indeed rooted
ran OCLF again and installed ext2 tools (no reboot)
used back key to OCLF menu and ran lagfix v2
(lagfix install took maybe 5 minutes) phone rebooted

...please note that phone goes into "plane mode" for lagfix install and will reboot with "plane mode" on, so disable this to get back on AT&T...

i did nothing else but what i noted above. my quadrant score before installing lagfix was 884. after applying lagfix its 2282...!??!?! woohoo!

what that translates into as far as apps and functions running quicker i have no idea yet, but i will report back soon.
harryzwd is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

i did exactly what you said:
i installed rom manager from the market, ran clockwork recovery from the menu, then created a backup of my current rom, i accepted the current date name it gave it and the phone rebooted into recovery mode, i gave it a couple of minutes then hit the power button to reboot once again.

so i'm all good. just from using the phone a few minutes the improvement in speed noticeable and amazing. i fear to think what this will do to battery life - but maybe it wont be so bad?

anyone thinking of doing this should just do it. i cant believe how easy it is. a huge thank you to everyone involved.
harryzwd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CrimsonPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north alabama
Posts: 1,482
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 201 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzwd View Post
i did exactly what you said:
i installed rom manager from the market, ran clockwork recovery from the menu, then created a backup of my current rom, i accepted the current date name it gave it and the phone rebooted into recovery mode, i gave it a couple of minutes then hit the power button to reboot once again.

so i'm all good. just from using the phone a few minutes the improvement in speed noticeable and amazing. i fear to think what this will do to battery life - but maybe it wont be so bad?

anyone thinking of doing this should just do it. i cant believe how easy it is. a huge thank you to everyone involved.
my battery life didnt get noticeable worse or anything. if i wanted i could get 2 days on 1 charge but thats pushing it so i always charge mine at night. i wouldnt worry about battery
CrimsonPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

not to highjack this thread - but now that i'm rooted i need to remove all of this AT&T crapware. i'll post a link here when i find out how as i'm sure that's the next step anyone doing this root/lagfix would want to do.
harryzwd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CrimsonPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north alabama
Posts: 1,482
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 201 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzwd View Post
not to highjack this thread - but now that i'm rooted i need to remove all of this AT&T crapware. i'll post a link here when i find out how as i'm sure that's the next step anyone doing this root/lagfix would want to do.
you can download titanium backup and it has an option to remove apps, even bloatware
CrimsonPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

that's what i found too - it seemed like the easiest way to go about it. although titanium warns me about turning on usb debugging (easy enough) but also warns me that i will not be able to restore apps from my backup...because there is no allowing for "unknown sources" within settings/applications.

there is a workaround, but it seems way too involved...plus i'm less worried about restoring from a backup since i would probably flash to a different rom if i had to "redo" my phone. plus i use appbrain, which keeps a list of all my installed apps, etc.

http://androidforums.com/captivate-tips-tricks/124736-t-bloatware-getting-your-way-delete-some.html#post1168972

after removing almost all of the AT&T bloatware my quadrant score went up to 2353!
i'm definitely loving the way the phone feels now...
harryzwd is offline  
Last edited by harryzwd; October 25th, 2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added quadrant score update
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 91
 
Device(s): Captivate, Atrix, then HTC Inspire 4G, S2, now S4.
Carrier: Att

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzwd View Post
that's what i found too - it seemed like the easiest way to go about it. although titanium warns me about turning on usb debugging (easy enough) but also warns me that i will not be able to restore apps from my backup...because there is no allowing for "unknown sources" within settings/applications.

there is a workaround, but it seems way too involved...plus i'm less worried about restoring from a backup since i would probably flash to a different rom if i had to "redo" my phone. plus i use appbrain, which keeps a list of all my installed apps, etc.

http://androidforums.com/captivate-tips-tricks/124736-t-bloatware-getting-your-way-delete-some.html#post1168972

after removing almost all of the AT&T bloatware my quadrant score went up to 2353!
i'm definitely loving the way the phone feels now...
I receive this too. Curious, what workaround are you speaking of?
odindra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 91
 
Device(s): Captivate, Atrix, then HTC Inspire 4G, S2, now S4.
Carrier: Att

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Some have proffered suggestions and I've read a few, just wondering what you know of
odindra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Everything You Need To Know To Un-"Cripple" Your Captivate - Android Forums

how to enable installation of non market (unknown source) apps
harryzwd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sremick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,521
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 79
Thanked 355 Times in 260 Posts
Default

People are forgetting all this is covered in the Captivate FAQ:

Root - CapFAQ

Uninstalling stock apps - CapFAQ
__________________
Questions about the Samsung Captivate? Check out: http://www.capfaq.com/
Nintendo-friendly gaming forum: http://www.ninstation.com/
If myself or CapFAQ.com has been helpful to you, please use the [Thanks] button
DropBox: Free online storage for Android and your PC. Click here for extra space free.
"Your" isn't the same as "You're". Learn the difference.
sremick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 91
 
Device(s): Captivate, Atrix, then HTC Inspire 4G, S2, now S4.
Carrier: Att

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

was referring to TiBu and te "unknown sources" msg...I'll do more research on my end.
odindra is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: texas
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): samsung captivate (lexy) rom:serendipity 5.12 kernal:speedmod Theme: custom made by me :]
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default nice fourm

thx for the help
camsdroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
captivate, explain, noob, oclf, samsung


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Captivate > Captivate - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.