Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Captivate > Captivate - Tips and Tricks

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #101 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Here is a pic of a lock on 6 satellites... I haven't seen 7 since this morning but as they say Pics or it didn't happen. Still 6 disproves the 5 satellite hardware limit.

Edit 7/26: Locked on 8 satellites this morning...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010135.JPG (341.4 KB, 87 views)

jmreed97 is offline  
Last edited by jmreed97; July 26th, 2010 at 09:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 25th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #102 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by giper54 View Post
Here is a link that worked for me. Pretty much the same stuff with a few changes.

GPS Settings: Performance Options (improvement) - xda-developers

ive tried every setup and this setup works great for me..
Rockinfigs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #103 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I've wasted the weekend trying to find a way around the GPS bug and power drain problem which I believe are related.

I've had so many random results, I'm not sure if any of the changes made any real difference.

Looks to me like low reception triggers a bug of some sort, causing the gps hardware or software to hangup or go into a race condition and is probably the cause of the rapid battery drain I've also been having.



It's ashamed that they rushed this hardware out the door, it going to cost lots if they don't release a fix next week
Dalepa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #104 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 17
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default screen view

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreed97 View Post
Here is a pic of a lock on 6 satellites... I haven't seen 7 since this morning but as they say Pics or it didn't happen. Still 6 disproves the 5 satellite hardware limit.
how do I access this screen view so far only seen Sats on "position Test"
thanks
meadrealty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #105 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 72
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

My GPS worked great when I bought it last weekend, but then by midweek it stopped functioning. I used the GPS Status app to confirm that it was seeing Sats, but it just wouldn't lock on to them. So, finally on Sunday I powered off the phone and removed the battery. After waiting a few seconds, I put the phone back together and powered it up, and within seconds of starting I had working GPS again. I didn't change any settings, just restarted the phone to get mine to work.
contradictions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #106 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadrealty View Post
how do I access this screen view so far only seen Sats on "position Test"
thanks
This was a GPS test app found in the market. It's free and gives a more visual display of what info the GPS is getting.
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #107 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

So I just got off the phone with Samsung support.I told them about my GPS issue. I was put on hold while the support guy spoke to his supervisor about my problem. When he came back at first he pretended this was an issolated incident and said he would pass on my info to their technicians to see if there is a fix. I then started asking questions and made it known that I was well aware of the widespread GPS problems with the Captivate and Vibrant. They didn't even bother with the standard troubleshooting of take out the battery, reboot, etc.

He assured me that there will be a firmware/software update to address this problem. He would not give me a time-frame. He also assured me the issue is not hardware related. He also assured me that Samsung will be supporting the Galaxy S phones more than they have with past phones (I never got a firmware update for the Samsung Jack in the year and a half I owned it). **Note: this was probably a low level employee so he may not actually know anything.

Let's see what happens. I doubt they will have it in a week.

I told him that if there was no ETA on the fix within 25 days (what's left of my 30 window), I will be returning my phone to AT&T.

Everyone who is having GPS problems should call and threaten to take their phone back if an update isn't available soon! Then they might push this update more quickly. Their number is1-888-987-HELP and it doesn't take much time (my entire call, holding included, was less than 10 minutes).
jmreed97 is offline  
Last edited by jmreed97; July 26th, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #108 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Almost forgot... I found a free app in the market that may be helpful to those of you who are just getting long lock times but have otherwise accurate GPS. It's called GPS Assist. It basically caches your last known GPS position when it is on.

still playing with it to see how well it works.
jmreed97 is offline  
Last edited by jmreed97; July 26th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #109 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 53
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default found a samsung FAQ

I Am Having Difficulties Obtaining An Accurate Location Fix. How Can I Increase The Accuracy On My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone?=

seems to be there curent answer to the problem
ace35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #110 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Already using that... It quickly gives my a 1 mile wide circle. Works for searching what is nearby in google maps but Not accurate enough for navigation. And it's not GPS it inaccurate locating based on the Cell Phone towers near by.

On the bright side... at least there is acknowledgment that the GPS is not working on it's own. Now the question is, will they fix it.
jmreed97 is offline  
Last edited by jmreed97; July 26th, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #111 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The OC
Posts: 127
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

do you think my issue of lattitude telling me I'm somewhere else could fix this? i would think that even the "wireless network" option should work right? I don't want to leave gps on all the time.
mach330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #112 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
do you think my issue of lattitude telling me I'm somewhere else could fix this? i would think that even the "wireless network" option should work right? I don't want to leave gps on all the time.
GPS is an on-demand service. Your phone only uses it when an application calls for it. If it is working properly you would only need the wireless network option if you were indoors with no windows (most GPS enabled phones will still pick up a location even then). Also the wireless network option is very inaccurate.
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #113 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SC, USA
Posts: 5
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreed97 View Post
So I just got off the phone with Samsung support.I told them about my GPS issue. I was put on hold while the support guy spoke to his supervisor about my problem. When he came back at first he pretended this was an issolated incident and said he would pass on my info to their technicians to see if there is a fix. I then started asking questions and made it known that I was well aware of the widespread GPS problems with the Captivate and Vibrant. They didn't even bother with the standard troubleshooting of take out the battery, reboot, etc.

He assured me that there will be a firmware/software update to address this problem. He would not give me a time-frame. He also assured me the issue is not hardware related. He also assured me that Samsung will be supporting the Galaxy S phones more than they have with past phones (I never got a firmware update for the Samsung Jack in the year and a half I owned it). **Note: this was probably a low level employee so he may not actually know anything.

Let's see what happens. I doubt they will have it in a week.

I told him that if there was no ETA on the fix within 25 days (what's left of my 30 window), I will be returning my phone to AT&T.

Everyone who is having GPS problems should call and threaten to take their phone back if an update isn't available soon! Then they might push this update more quickly. Their number is1-888-987-HELP and it doesn't take much time (my entire call, holding included, was less than 10 minutes).
i just called them, and spoke w/ a 'level 3 android support' tech guy. I told him of the problems described here (I'm having the same issues w/ my captivate). He stated that Samsung was aware of the problem, and that it was widespread (duh).

No fixes for it at the moment, but he said that the software development guys will be or are going to have to do something about it...
BlueCalx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #114 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sremick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,521
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 79
Thanked 355 Times in 260 Posts
Default

Fix is coming soon, Samsung and AT&T confirmed:
Official: GPS fix is being pushed out
__________________
Questions about the Samsung Captivate? Check out: http://www.capfaq.com/
Nintendo-friendly gaming forum: http://www.ninstation.com/
If myself or CapFAQ.com has been helpful to you, please use the [Thanks] button
DropBox: Free online storage for Android and your PC. Click here for extra space free.
"Your" isn't the same as "You're". Learn the difference.
sremick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #115 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
t-readyroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint Leonard, MD
Posts: 710
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 72
Thanked 82 Times in 55 Posts
Send a message via AIM to t-readyroc Send a message via MSN to t-readyroc Send a message via Yahoo to t-readyroc Send a message via Skype™ to t-readyroc
Default

I made the changes in the original post, but still took ages to establish a position (accuracy was fine once it locked on). Then I changed from hot to cold start & it's been working nearly immediately since. Thanks for this.
t-readyroc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #116 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Here's a video showing the issue and how to test/compare your galaxy s using GPS TEST app

Vibrant GPS Test: Motorola CLIQ vs TWO Vibrants initial lock - xda-developers
Dalepa is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dalepa For This Useful Post:
jmreed97 (July 27th, 2010)
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #117 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

its weird how tricorder will find 10 satellites, gps test has found as many as 7, but it appears that their signal strength is never good enough to hold a lock for very long, and i've only been able to lock on to a max of 3 and only for a minute or so...then it will drop off. so its not wonder that google maps wont lock and when it does it shows me about a block away from where i really am. -frustrating-
harryzwd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #118 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 102
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Default works for me!

just wanted to chime into the noise. I had spotty GPS when I got my captivate, and tried the first fix (supl settings to supl.google.com, etc) which just made things worse. I tried going from hot to cold start and that made no difference for me. I tried this one with the exception to turn off skyhook (wifi hotspot location-guessing is of no use to me), and I now get a 100m lock in about 10secs, and then a good 5m lock in another 10-20secs. I watched on google maps as I walked around my 6story building and it tracked me quite well within a meter or two.
razholio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #119 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Sjla2kology101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sjla2kology101 Send a message via MSN to Sjla2kology101 Send a message via Yahoo to Sjla2kology101
Default

Has anyone tried the att maps... Google gets within 1500 meters of me... Att locked on to my exact location in about 10 seconds sitting in my living room.... Has anyone else tried this?
Sjla2kology101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #120 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

No dice for me (unless I activate wifi - which gives me skyhook).
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #121 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gerogia
Posts: 132
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KappaG9
Default

You don't have to have skyhook when with wifi. Most of us here have to turn wifi on for better GPS location but skyhook stays off unless you turn it on from the gps menu
KappaG9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #122 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gerogia
Posts: 132
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KappaG9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjla2kology101 View Post
Has anyone tried the att maps... Google gets within 1500 meters of me... Att locked on to my exact location in about 10 seconds sitting in my living room.... Has anyone else tried this?
When i first got my phone google maps couldn't find me but AT&T maps could but it wasn't very accurate. I uninstalled it though and now google maps works good with my settings. I don't know whether removing att maps did anything or not.
KappaG9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #123 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaG9 View Post
You don't have to have skyhook when with wifi. Most of us here have to turn wifi on for better GPS location but skyhook stays off unless you turn it on from the gps menu
Maybe... but I have come to the conclusion that the LbsGPS menu does nothing (I believe it is only for testing the GPS) and is all placebo. I have changed all the settings over and over and get very random results on my Captivate as well as my wife's Vibrant. Sometimes the GPS works great, and other times not at all regardless of the settings.

And the turning on wifi in a wifi rich area does exactly what skyhook says it does:
"The Core Engine synthesizes data from Skyhook's Wi-Fi Positioning System (WPS), GPS satellites and cell towers with advanced hybrid positioning algorithms. ... Skyhook maintains a worldwide database of cell tower locations, which increases Core Engine coverage area and helps improve GPS satellite acquisition time."
Source: Samsung to Put Skyhook on Mobile Devices - Midmarket from eWeek

I believe skyhook is always on when wifi is on no matter what you put in your LbsTest menu.

After all wasn't the default LbsTest setting for skyhook OFF? Why would Samsung make a deal with skyhook then deactivate it in all the Galaxy S phones?
jmreed97 is offline  
Last edited by jmreed97; July 27th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #124 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I used My Tracks to record a drive on my wife's phone (no changes to GPS except, maybe, Skyhook enabled) and my own phone (most of the XDA recommended tweaks) this weekend. Both Samsung Captivates. My phone got us from the driveway at our house to the parking lot at our destination, all on the road. My wife's phone didn't pick up a signal until we were a couple turns away from our house and the path was frequently beside the road. I was holding both phones up in the windshield, side by side, started recording at the same time. So, I do think that the GPS settings make a difference.

That being said, some of my other solo recordings over the last few days have had me beside the road from time to time as well. I don't have a windshield mount yet so I think some of it is the phone losing GPS accuracy when it slides around on the passenger seat, gets further from the windshield, etc, but it's hard to say for sure.

And, one test run like this is not enough data to draw any firm conclusions. I had intended to do more but for some reason we didn't go too many places together this weekend, which is odd for us.
no driver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #125 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by giper54 View Post
Here is a link that worked for me. Pretty much the same stuff with a few changes.

GPS Settings: Performance Options (improvement) - xda-developers
I used the settings mentioned in this link and inside a house I was locking 8-10 satellites within a few seconds and google maps had me within 10 meters.

My GPS problem is solved, now I just need to work on the battery drain issue!
prashj21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #126 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

The reason I no longer believe the LbsGPS page is doing anything is because I will update to the latest and greatest settings and sometimes I'll get great results... A few hours later, can't get a lock again... Yesterday I got some of the best results yet then changed everything back to the defaults (you know the ones with the supl server that doesn't exist?) and continued to get good results. Then nothing again. Today... in and out. Also, my wife's phone is a Vibrant (the T-Mobile version of the Captivate)

Many on XDA have speculated that these aren't actually setting for the phones GPS just settings for the test itself.

I don't know, but it doesn't seem like anyone with any real knowledge knows either.
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #127 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I have played around with all the fixes, and none of them has worked consistently, but I stumbled upon this one, and it seems to lock me into the satellites instantly everytime so far:

Dial *#*#1472365#*#* to get to the LbsTestMode Screen
Go to SUPL/CP settings and switch Server FQDN type to AUTO Config instead of the default of Custom Config

Don't touch any other settings. You don't have to reboot, either. Just making that chage improves the performance for me. I don't believe this is a placebo effect either, as it has locked on every time and place so far, when previously it would some times but not others. You try it and let me know how it works for you.
rajendra82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #128 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
I have played around with all the fixes, and none of them has worked consistently, but I stumbled upon this one, and it seems to lock me into the satellites instantly everytime so far:

Dial *#*#1472365#*#* to get to the LbsTestMode Screen
Go to SUPL/CP settings and switch Server FQDN type to AUTO Config instead of the default of Custom Config

Don't touch any other settings. You don't have to reboot, either. Just making that chage improves the performance for me. I don't believe this is a placebo effect either, as it has locked on every time and place so far, when previously it would some times but not others. You try it and let me know how it works for you.
Locked on me after 30 seconds but the accuracy was 100 meters. Typical result for me.

I'd say no change with these settings.
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #129 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreed97 View Post
Locked on me after 30 seconds but the accuracy was 100 meters. Typical result for me.

I'd say no change with these settings.
Was that indoors or out?
rajendra82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #130 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Samsung Capitvate - AT&T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i am on the horn with AT&T now. She is about to transfer me to tech support. At first she tried telling me an i897 was actually a Samsung Mystique (its actually an a897).

EDIT: She just told me i had to hang up and call the AT&T Navigator team. Sounds like they are more concerned with this app than the GPS problem itself.

As a backdrop i have tried all the configs suggested and nothing works. Google gets me a couple miles away, AT&T Navigator cannot reach the server and AT&T maps doesnt do anything at all. Very frustrating.
newfie_in_texas is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #131 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
Was that indoors or out?
That was out doors. I wouldn't be complaining if I could get that indoors. I get zero lock indoors no mater how long I wait even when I am next to a window...
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #132 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gerogia
Posts: 132
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KappaG9
Default

Mine is the same why but i don't know if its because were i live, i live on the first floor of a 6 story building
KappaG9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #133 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaG9 View Post
Mine is the same why but i don't know if its because were i live, i live on the first floor of a 6 story building
Take it outside and drive around to see if you have one of the magical phones that works well. You can't accurately test GPS indoors. Go near a large window and you should be able to get a signal though (if it is working).
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #134 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 172
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I guess I have a magical GPS then. After getting a lock I had the phone inside the car in the cup holder with the windows up (due to the 90+ degree heat), and it never lost lock while I drove around 20 miles. The accuracy was sometimes bad (30 m or so), so it put me off the road I was driving a bit sometimes, and the direction checking didn't seem all that good and fluctuated left and right a lot. If I had put the phone up in a bracket off the windshield, I am sure it would have stayed within a 5-10 m accuracy throughout the trip. I can also usually get a rough lock indoors near our windows. I suppose my GPS is working acceptably well without adding any A-GPS crutches or enabling skyhook.
rajendra82 is offline  
Last edited by rajendra82; July 28th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #135 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
I guess I have a magical GPS then. After getting a lock I had the phone inside the car in the cup holder with the windows up (due to the 90+ degree heat), and it never lost lock while I drove around 20 miles. The accuracy was sometimes bad (30 m or so), so it put me off the road I was driving a bit sometimes, and the direction checking didn't seem all that good and fluctuated left and right a lot. If I had put the phone up in a bracket off the windshield, I am sure it would have stayed within a 5-10 m accuracy throughout the trip. I can also usually get a rough lock indoors near our windows. I suppose my GPS is working acceptably well without adding any A-GPS crutches or enabling skyhook.
I want a magical phone... I guess I'll have to wait for an update for mine to be magical.
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #136 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think the bottom line is it depends a lot on where you live. Around the Detroit area it was locking me pretty fast no matter what. In chicago it would take 5 minutes or more, maybe from all the tall buildings?
prashj21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #137 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 69
 
Device(s): HTC Inspire 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
I guess I have a magical GPS then. After getting a lock I had the phone inside the car in the cup holder with the windows up (due to the 90+ degree heat), and it never lost lock while I drove around 20 miles. The accuracy was sometimes bad (30 m or so), so it put me off the road I was driving a bit sometimes, and the direction checking didn't seem all that good and fluctuated left and right a lot. If I had put the phone up in a bracket off the windshield, I am sure it would have stayed within a 5-10 m accuracy throughout the trip. I can also usually get a rough lock indoors near our windows. I suppose my GPS is working acceptably well without adding any A-GPS crutches or enabling skyhook.
The accuracy and tracking of GPS isn't the main concern here (though sometimes the accuracy will drop).

If you could do this test the next time you drive somewhere, it would be extremely helpful.
1. Make sure that 'use wireless networks' is off
2. Make sure that wifi is off.
3. Make sure maps, navigation, all GPS related apps are not running.
4. Drive somewhere (anything greater than 20 miles away from previous lock would be a good test)
5. Stand somewhere just slightly under cover, or perhaps even just inside your car would be enough.
6. Open up google maps
7. Menu > 'My Location'
8. Did it find your location before maps said "could not find current location" ?
9. Is it accurate?

I'm not trying to be skeptical, but the main GPS problem here is with acquisition of satellites, not tracking. Right now, my iphone 2G is as accurate as this phone (and if I don't use network assist, then it fails to find my location, and just sucks the battery dry).
gflare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #138 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflare View Post
I'm not trying to be skeptical, but the main GPS problem here is with acquisition of satellites, not tracking. Right now, my iphone 2G is as accurate as this phone (and if I don't use network assist, then it fails to find my location, and just sucks the battery dry).
My phone certainly has long lock times as an issue, but I also have an issue with inaccurate locations. I think some people have one issue or the other, and some lucky few have both.
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #139 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

FYI - there is some confirmation from Clove Technology that the fix for the Euro Galaxy S is now available.

See post #254

GPS issues?

Hopefully it's just a matter of days now!!!
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #140 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Samsung Capitvate - AT&T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So whats everyone gonna do? Sit tight for the update for just return the phone and get another?
newfie_in_texas is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #141 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I am going to sit tight and re-evaluate on the 20th of August (the day before my 30 days ends). If the Euro Galaxy S still hasn't gotten this "coming soon" fix by then, I will for sure take it back.
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #142 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Incase anyone out there didnt write down the ORIGINAL settings on the phones..here they are -

www.spirent-lcs.com
port = 7275
supl secure socket = on

operation mode = standalone
accuracy = 50
skyhook = off

Those are the ORIGINAL settings for only the items I changed. These are not what I changed them to...I'm posting the original settings as I didnt see them listed here incase others need to revert for some reason.
hayesb2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #143 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gerogia
Posts: 132
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KappaG9
Default

Mine works good outdoors with 10-5 meter accuracy. I'm flying to Atlanta on Sunday so i will see if it looks on and how long it takes when i get off the plane.
KappaG9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #144 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gerogia
Posts: 132
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KappaG9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesb2 View Post
Incase anyone out there didnt write down the ORIGINAL settings on the phones..here they are -

www.spirent-lcs.com
port = 7275
supl secure socket = on

operation mode = standalone
accuracy = 50
skyhook = off

Those are the ORIGINAL settings for only the items I changed. These are not what I changed them to...I'm posting the original settings as I didnt see them listed here incase others need to revert for some reason.
They are on the first post
KappaG9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #145 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: White Lake, MI
Posts: 251
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I seen on XDA somebody got informed the updates will start Monday.
mi04se1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #146 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi04se1 View Post
I seen on XDA somebody got informed the updates will start Monday.
Link?
jmreed97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #147 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would need to see an official press release before I will believe anything...
hayesb2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #148 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 69
 
Device(s): HTC Inspire 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreed97 View Post
My phone certainly has long lock times as an issue, but I also have an issue with inaccurate locations. I think some people have one issue or the other, and some lucky few have both.
Just out of curiosity, is the inaccuracy coming from losing GPS and using the wireless location assistance? Or is it GPS losing track of you and then having to find you again?

I've been trying all sorts of different scenarios, and today my google navigation with GPS lock actually had my blue arrow going the wrong way, and actually driving in circles in the river, lol. It seems like the lock-tracking might be more heavily influenced by location (more wooded, low altitude area, but the Garmin GPS was working perfect).
gflare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #149 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflare View Post
Just out of curiosity, is the inaccuracy coming from losing GPS and using the wireless location assistance? Or is it GPS losing track of you and then having to find you again?

I've been trying all sorts of different scenarios, and today my google navigation with GPS lock actually had my blue arrow going the wrong way, and actually driving in circles in the river, lol. It seems like the lock-tracking might be more heavily influenced by location (more wooded, low altitude area, but the Garmin GPS was working perfect).
It depends on the person... Some people experience all of these... For me I get a slow lock that stays on pretty well, but it is very inaccurate.

--Searched every Galaxy S and captivate forum on XDA and found nothing about a Monday update...
jmreed97 is offline  
Last edited by jmreed97; July 29th, 2010 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #150 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bradley, Illinois
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate - AT&T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I've read everything and I have found besides changing the settings that I needed to enable Use wireless networks as well as use GPS satellites in location and security. Is this what everyone else is doing? Or just using the GPS satellites? I am also assuming just enable this when you want to use the Navigator, otherwise we will lose precious battery life correct, or is it a big deal? Thanks very much.
sdelliott31 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Captivate > Captivate - Tips and Tricks
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.