Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 3D > (CDMA) EVO 3D - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
Thread Author (OP)
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default How to manually flash a recovery image (via fastboot OR from SD card)

As of this post, it would appear that the S-OFF tool, Revolutionary, may not successfully flash clockworkmod recovery for everyone. And once it S-OFFs your HBOOT, it won't run again, so there's no way to get it to retry the recovery flashing. The following is a guide on how to manually flash a recovery. May come in handy some day. Or you may want to wait for Revolutionary to address the issue. But if you're one of the people who has run Revolutionary and is without a recovery image, this is for you.

For now, TeamWin has created a brand new recovery called TWRP, and it works great. You can download the image here:
[RECOVERY] [EVO3D] TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) v1.0.2 [7/31/2011] - xda-developers

Or you can go with ClockworkMod recovery, which is what you would end up with if the recovery portion of Revolutionary succeeds:
http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-shooter.img

Choose which recovery you want to try, and save that image to your computer.

There are two popular methods to flash a recovery. The easiest way is known as the update.zip method. The other way, fastboot, is more technical and requires that your PC is set up with drivers and the and fastboot tool.

Both methods require that you boot your phone into HBOOT. If you are unsure how to do this, see this post: http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/362270-how-boot-into-bootloader-hboot.html


UPDATE.ZIP METHOD:
This method can be used to flash to any partition, not just recovery. Essentially you place a file at the top (root) level directory of your SD card and HBOOT will automatically find the file and flash its contents. The filename needs to be named PG86IMG.ZIP for the Evo 3D, and it needs to contain the .img files named the same as the partition name.

Most of the time, you don't need to worry about all this; the file you download will already be in the correct format. You just have to rename it to PG86IMG.ZIP. The link to TWRP recovery above is distributed in this update.zip format. All you need to do is rename it and put it in the root of your SD card. Then boot into HBOOT. HBOOT will automatically scan for the file, and if it was named correctly, it will ask you if you want to flash what's in the file. Say yes, and it will do it's thing. That's it.

If you only have the .img file, you can make your own update.zip file. For example, if you have a recovery image file, it needs to be named recovery.img. Then, put it in a ZIP file without compression. Name the file PG86IMG.ZIP, and you're all set.

FASTBOOT METHOD:
This method requires a little more setup and is a bit more manual than the above update.zip method, but in my experience, having a computer set up to run fastboot and adb can come in handy, especially once you've graduated to an advanced power root user. If you ever want to help in the effort to crack bootloaders, having fastboot working is a must

fastboot is a little executable tool that comes with the Android SDK. It is right alongside adb. If you have adb working, then fastboot is ready to go. Both adb and fastboot require that you have the HBOOT drivers installed for your phone. You can get the drivers here:
public:revolutionary [RootWiki]
(go to the part, "are any drivers required?")

Once the drivers are installed, you should get the Android SDK here:
Android SDK | Android Developers

Just get the .zip file and extract it anywhere on your computer. Look for the /tools folder. In there, you'll see the fastboot executable.

Ok, these instructions are for Windows users, but the equivalent steps should work for mac and linux:

Open up a cmd window and go to your SDK tools folder. Now type

Code:
fastboot
and press enter. You should see a list of fastboot commands available. If you don't get that, you're probably not in the right folder. Check your path and where you installed the SDK and make sure you are in the /tools folder.

Once you've verified you can run fastboot, it's time to move the recovery image to the /tools folder (easier not to have to specify a path to the recovery file). I would also rename the recovery file to something short like recovery.img.

Once the recovery image is in the same /tools folder as fastboot, you'll need to put your phone in fastboot USB mode. To do this:

1) make sure the Fast Boot option is disabled. Note, this "Fast Boot" has nothing to do with the fastboot executable I've been talking about. This is a setting in Sense to allow the phone to boot up faster. To disable this setting, go to Settings > Power > Fast boot (uncheck the box).

2) Hold down the power button and select Power Off from the menu. Wait 1 minute for the phone to completely power off.

3) Boot into HBOOT. See this post for detailed instructions on how to boot into HBOOT:
http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/362270-how-boot-into-bootloader-hboot.html

4) Once you're in HBOOT, you'll see it scan for a few files. This is normal. When it is done, you can make selections in the menu. Vol-UP and Vol-DOWN allows you to move up and down the menu list. POWER button acts as ENTER and selects whatever you're highlighted over.

By default, FASTBOOT is selected. So just press power.

5) now you should be in the FASTBOOT section of HBOOT. Plug the phone in via the USB cable to the computer where you installed the Android SDK. You should see the red FASTBOOT banner turn into FASTBOOT USB. If that doesn't happen, it means that your HBOOT drivers aren't working.

Your phone is now ready to accept commands from the fastboot executable that came with the Android SDK. Go back to that cmd window where we tested the fastboot command earlier. From there, issue the following command:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Here's a quick explanation of the above command:

fastboot: that's the executable tool
flash: that's the function we want the fastboot tool to perform
recovery: this is the name of the partition we want to flash into. since we are flashing a recovery image, it needs to go to the recovery partition.
recovery.img: this is the name of the actual file to flash. Your filename may be different. Just make sure it matches the actual filename.

Fastboot will flash the image and give you a success/failure notification. If successful, you're all set. To check out the new recovery image, verify that BOOTLOADER is selected in the HBOOT menu (should be highlighted in blue). Press POWER button to select it. Now you should be back at the main HBOOT menu.

Use VOL-DOWN to highlight RECOVERY and press POWER button. The phone will now attempt to boot into the new recovery image. You'll see the htc splash screen briefly and then the recovery image. That's it!

________________________
A note about ROM Manager:
Some people have mentioned here and there that the easiest way to flash a recovery image is with the ROM Manager app, which is free on the Market. While this is true, I discourage people from using this app to flash their recovery IF they don't know how to use the two methods detailed above. Why? Because there may come a day when you have a bad flash, or you did something that prevents your phone from booting into Android, and you can't run ROM Manager. If, in this situation, you needed to reflash your recovery, you'll need to do it the manual way.

If you are proficient in the manual flash, then by all means, use ROM Manager to change out your recovery image. Just be sure that the image it recommends is the proper one for the Evo 3D. It seems possible to use an old version of ROM Manager and flash a recovery not intended for the Evo 3D, so be careful.

__________________

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Help me out: Sign up with Dropbox and we both get 500MB extra space. Thanks!
novox77 is offline  
Last edited by novox77; August 16th, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to novox77 For This Useful Post:
ceabbott2 (August 31st, 2011), DonB (December 13th, 2011), EarlyMon (July 29th, 2011), EVO3D (August 2nd, 2011), felipeferras (May 11th, 2013), Granite1 (April 5th, 2012), Jackietreehorn (August 5th, 2011), jayy_jh6059 (November 25th, 2012), JD_from_da_80s (August 5th, 2011), jesseuy (November 5th, 2011), ocnbrze (November 5th, 2011), ScornedNexus (December 4th, 2013), THEFORCE (July 30th, 2011), tygger (August 17th, 2011), wake69 (July 29th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,235
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,399
Thanked 1,430 Times in 974 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman75 View Post
Everything is running good on my end but damn, these nandroids are HUGE!!!!!
1.33 GB, it's looking like. Good grief.

On a side note, for anyone that is having trouble with Fastboot - they uploaded a flashable version of TWRP which you can just drop on the root of the SD card and the bootloader will update it. Just remember to delete it after you install it.
__________________
I talk to corporate like a BAWSS!

DEVICE ► Nexus 5 / Nexus 7
ROM ► Dirty Unicorns
KERNEL ► Franco / Glitch
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYCHitman1 For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (July 30th, 2011), ocnbrze (November 5th, 2011)
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,013
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,675
Thanked 54,804 Times in 21,855 Posts
Default

^Good man!

Simplified instructions here:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [RECOVERY] [EVO3D] TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) v1.0.0 [7/29/11]
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
jesseuy (November 5th, 2011)
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
outkast25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
 
Device(s): Htc Evo 3D Iphone 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I get "error: cannot load"recovery.img" after i type"
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i figured it out, i renamed the file with .img on the end instead of just "recovery"
outkast25 is offline  
Last edited by outkast25; July 30th, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 304
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 40
Thanked 82 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast25 View Post
I get "error: cannot load"recovery.img" after i type"
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i figured it out, i renamed the file with .img on the end instead of just "recovery"
Make sure you have the file 'recovery.img' in the same folder as the 'fastboot.exe' command. If you downloaded the clockwork recovery image from this thread you'll also need to rename it to 'recovery.img'
mynamewastaken is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
Thread Author (OP)
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default

updated the OP to include instructions for the much easier update.zip (PG86IMG.ZIP) method of flashing the recovery image.
novox77 is offline  
Last edited by novox77; August 2nd, 2011 at 06:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
EVO3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D (Rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

As always great post Novox77! I really would like to say thanks for all the nice work you put in around here. But, I'm writing this right now because Revolutionary failed to load clockworkmod recovery on my phone. I know its happening to a lot of people but I think tha it's kind of crappy that it works for some people and not for others. And it seems like my luck (i.e. bad luck) that it didn't work for me, as I am a noob! Anyways, after reading a few things I decided to try to use the Fastboot Method. I was unsuccessful with loading the fastboot drivers (followed complex instructions off XDA Dev. because at the time I hadn't found your thread yet). Anyways after an unsuccessful attempt I moved onto trying the Update.zip Method of manually flashing a recovery image. Unfortunately, at first it didn't work for me. I followed your instructions to perfection!

When I load into my phones bootloader the recovery option is in green, however when I click on it, the phone shows a red triangle with an exclamation point...Supposedly this means that I don't have a recovery image successfully installed on the phone.

Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid problem to have but I'm a noob, and believe me this is my first time rooting so I expect a little trial by fire.

Atleast I have been reading and reading about rooting for the last 2 days!
EVO3D is offline  
Last edited by EVO3D; August 2nd, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
EVO3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D (Rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

In regard to my last post, I have figured out the issue I was having and fixed it...I now have root access!

Here is how I went about fixing the issue I was having:

I read the original post above and then sought out a Youtube Video called "TeamWin Recovery Installation Guide for HTC EVO 3D" and watched the video. Here is the link: ‪TeamWin Recovery Installation Guide for HTC EVO 3D‬‏ - YouTube

In the video and in this orginal post it says to rename the TeamWin recovery file "PG86IMG.zip" however, this did not work for me. Instead I had to rename it "PG86IMG" (without the .zip extension). Then I dragged the file onto my SD Card and loaded up the bootloader. Once on the bootloader menu it will ask if you want to update the TeamWin Recovery file, I clicked 'Yes' as stated in the video and then proceeded to reboot the phone. Once the phone was back on the home screen I erased the "PG86IMG" from my SD Card and dragged the Superuser.zip file onto the SD card directory. Once finished I loaded into bootloader and clicked on Recovery and presto! I went in the recovery menu and able to load the .zip file that granted me root access!

(Hope this helps someone, but just about 99% of this information was covered in this original post and in the Youtube video I linked. All of the credit goes to Novox77 and Youtube's willwhitworth.)
EVO3D is offline  
Last edited by EVO3D; August 10th, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVO3D For This Useful Post:
JD_from_da_80s (August 5th, 2011), novox77 (August 3rd, 2011)
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In exile
Posts: 1,716
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 177
Thanked 1,255 Times in 484 Posts
Default

Does anyone know how to make a wimax.img using the twrp recovery software?

I have seen with clockwork recovery that there is a backup option, but can not find that option with twrp.

Ever mind, sorry just found it in the menu option. It was under the main menu called Naniod Menu, then selected backup, then selected all of the options, then clicked back up naow. Selected=press power button.
RiverOfIce is offline  
Last edited by RiverOfIce; August 2nd, 2011 at 11:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverOfIce For This Useful Post:
EVO3D (August 3rd, 2011)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,013
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,675
Thanked 54,804 Times in 21,855 Posts
Default

Have to be careful renaming files in Windows when known file extents are hidden.

That results in rename attempts as XXX.zip.zip - and when renamed to XXX as shown on-screen, the actual name will be XXX.zip.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
jamesdean (August 3rd, 2011), novox77 (August 3rd, 2011)
sponsored links
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
EVO3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D (Rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Have to be careful renaming files in Windows when known file extents are hidden.

That results in rename attempts as XXX.zip.zip - and when renamed to XXX as shown on-screen, the actual name will be XXX.zip.
Yes, I was getting tired and not thinking things through.
EVO3D is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,013
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,675
Thanked 54,804 Times in 21,855 Posts
Default

Well, how do think everyone else learned to call that out? Just posted that for the next cat.

Glad you got it nailed tho - that's the main thing!
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

I've always used Clockwork. How does TWRP compare to CWR? Any worthwhile/substantial differences?
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,013
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,675
Thanked 54,804 Times in 21,855 Posts
Default

I use CWM, but I understand from novox77 and NYCHitman1 (by memory) that it includes being able to zip your nandroids (saving the 1.2 GB size I'm hitting now) as well as being able to be selective about which things you nandroid.

Example, once you have your master nandroid, you don't need to keep including wimax stuff in your nandroid, maybe just /system.

Somebuddy using it deeply will have to explain other options.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
jerofld (August 3rd, 2011)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,013
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,675
Thanked 54,804 Times in 21,855 Posts
Default

For those of us using CWM!

Last night I spent an hour trying to figure out why my phone wouldn't charge while powered off.

ceabbott2 found and informed me that this is a bug in CWM 4.0.1.4 - checking the CWM website, I found they had a 4.0.1.5 image available there.

Tired of dealing with this, I just grabbed the free version of Rom Manager from the Market.

I went to the first option, install CWM - and then rebooted into recovery to see for myself what's up.

4.0.1.5 was installed nicely and now when power is off, my phone recharges.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
ceabbott2 (August 31st, 2011), OutofDate1980 (August 3rd, 2011)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston, MA USA
Posts: 7
 
Device(s): EVO3D, EVO4G, Galaxy tab 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default S-off but unable to load recovery image

Help....After installing revolutionary.exe, the recovery image was not loaded automatically. I tried loading the image manually and that did not work. After rebooting I was getting error 16 when making a call. I restored to factory default and error 16 did not go away. Sprint was able to resolve the problem. I have attempted to load the recovery image using the zip file and copying on the root of the SD card and also tried using fastboot and flashing it from my PC and neither method works. Any ideas !!!!
moosh62 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
falconey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 646
 
Device(s): 2 x Note 3, Note 2 Blackberry Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 420
Thanked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh62 View Post
Help....After installing revolutionary.exe, the recovery image was not loaded automatically. I tried loading the image manually and that did not work. After rebooting I was getting error 16 when making a call. I restored to factory default and error 16 did not go away. Sprint was able to resolve the problem. I have attempted to load the recovery image using the zip file and copying on the root of the SD card and also tried using fastboot and flashing it from my PC and neither method works. Any ideas !!!!
Here's what I did. I went to my sdk folder. The fastboot option was located in android-sdk-windows\tools folder. then I opened up another folder window and went to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and copied the files AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll. I then pasted those files in android-sdk-windows\tools. You will also need to copy the clockwork.img file into this same folder(for simplicty). Now within that folder(android-sdk-windows\tools hold down the shift button and right click. Select the option 'open command window.

in the command window type - fastboot devices and hit enter
your device should be recognized

now type -flashboot flash recovery clockwork.img(this is whatever your file name is)

you should get a response of OKAY


If you don't have sdk you can find it here

http://developer.android.com/index.html
falconey is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to falconey For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (August 3rd, 2011), Jackietreehorn (August 5th, 2011), moosh62 (August 3rd, 2011)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
I use CWM, but I understand from novox77 and NYCHitman1 (by memory) that it includes being able to zip your nandroids (saving the 1.2 GB size I'm hitting now) as well as being able to be selective about which things you nandroid.

Example, once you have your master nandroid, you don't need to keep including wimax stuff in your nandroid, maybe just /system.

Somebuddy using it deeply will have to explain other options.
The NANDroid stuff alone is worth trying. My NANDroid is 1.53 GB. I have a 32GB SD card on the way, but that's besides the point...
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (August 3rd, 2011)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,013
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,675
Thanked 54,804 Times in 21,855 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh62 View Post
Help....After installing revolutionary.exe, the recovery image was not loaded automatically. I tried loading the image manually and that did not work. After rebooting I was getting error 16 when making a call. I restored to factory default and error 16 did not go away. Sprint was able to resolve the problem. I have attempted to load the recovery image using the zip file and copying on the root of the SD card and also tried using fastboot and flashing it from my PC and neither method works. Any ideas !!!!

I've moved your post over to the main thread for this - please see falconey's answer and the other helpful posts here, I'm sure you'll be squared away in no time.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
moosh62 (August 4th, 2011)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
Thread Author (OP)
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default

So I noticed that the TWRP NANDroid images have .win extension. I expected .img. Does anyone know if they are using a proprietary format? Or if I can just rename it to .img?

I suppose I'll be brave and rename it and try to flash it via fastboot and see what happens

And regarding Windows hiding file extensions, they've been making that the default setting since Windows 95. So I have to assume that it's the best decision for most users of windows.

Personally, I think it's rediculous to hide the extension. It's one of the first things I change in a fresh install of Windows, followed by showing all hidden files.
novox77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,013
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,675
Thanked 54,804 Times in 21,855 Posts
Default

Quote:
So I have to assume that it's the best decision for most users of windows.
I assume if it's been broken that long, no one is going to own up to the mistake now.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
JD_from_da_80s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 40 46' 0.8" N 73 59' 14.8" W
Posts: 203
 
Device(s): Rooted White LG G2
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 89
Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
I use CWM, but I understand from novox77 and NYCHitman1 (by memory) that it includes being able to zip your nandroids (saving the 1.2 GB size I'm hitting now) as well as being able to be selective about which things you nandroid.

Example, once you have your master nandroid, you don't need to keep including wimax stuff in your nandroid, maybe just /system.

Somebuddy using it deeply will have to explain other options.
Yea, I'm gonna see if I can do some more reading on this. Doing a nandroid this morning, system, data & boot were checked to be backed up (default) while recovery, cache, wimax & .android_secure were not. I'm going to do two compressed back ups, (1 default, 1 custom) save em on my laptop & the one that takes up less space will be on my phone.
JD_from_da_80s is online now  
Last edited by JD_from_da_80s; August 6th, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD_from_da_80s For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (August 6th, 2011)
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Clockwork mod recovery thought

So I am curious I am not a seasoned vet on roms and recoveries and how to do everything but I saw all the posts on how to put clockwork mod as a recovery on manually and wondered why it is not being written on doing it through ROM manager. All I had to do was select flash clockwork mod and it flashed and installed in about 10 seconds. Like I said I'm nowhere near as advanced as everyone on here so it may have been written already and I missed it or what I flashed is not an updated version or something. Just thought maybe it was worth writing about.
jtlind01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtlind01 For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (August 8th, 2011)
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 75
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 3D S-Off
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cbelflower321
Default

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I have gotten to the part where i have to flash my own recovery.img file. I have downloaded the file and created a winrar archive then placed the recovery.img file inside. I put the winrar archive onto my sd card and rebooted into hboot. When I get there it shows that it is trying to read the file, but says there is no img file or something to that extent. What am I doing wrong?
Cbelflower321 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #25 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,013
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,675
Thanked 54,804 Times in 21,855 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbelflower321 View Post
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I have gotten to the part where i have to flash my own recovery.img file. I have downloaded the file and created a winrar archive then placed the recovery.img file inside. I put the winrar archive onto my sd card and rebooted into hboot. When I get there it shows that it is trying to read the file, but says there is no img file or something to that extent. What am I doing wrong?
Have you verified that the winrar is simply packaging - and not compressing - the recovery.img file inside?

Sorry, I'm not conversant with winrar (it's been at least a year or more since I was last near it) but that's a key point to making this work right.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #26 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,013
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,675
Thanked 54,804 Times in 21,855 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlind01 View Post
So I am curious I am not a seasoned vet on roms and recoveries and how to do everything but I saw all the posts on how to put clockwork mod as a recovery on manually and wondered why it is not being written on doing it through ROM manager. All I had to do was select flash clockwork mod and it flashed and installed in about 10 seconds. Like I said I'm nowhere near as advanced as everyone on here so it may have been written already and I missed it or what I flashed is not an updated version or something. Just thought maybe it was worth writing about.
No, I think you have a very good point, so I've moved it into the main sticky.

It was in the flow of the previous sticky thread on rooting - and there is an earlier short thread pointing to it. We're in the process of re-organizing the rooting info, but I agree, using ROM Manager is an important strategy.

Moreover, unless they've changed the recovery-tool, the CWM that gets installed is 4.0.1.4 and it's buggy - will prevent charging while off - 4.0.1.5 is better.

For those of us preferring not migrating to twrp, this is an important issue, and I'm glad you mentioned it!

~~~~~~

Note to novox77 - Your OP is out of date on the CWM image - this one is current:

http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-shooter.img

If you don't get a chance to integrate this into your OP, I'll do it later.

PS - OK, the ROM Manager post is in here, from Aug 3 - long weekend.
EarlyMon is online now  
Last edited by EarlyMon; August 8th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 75
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 3D S-Off
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cbelflower321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Have you verified that the winrar is simply packaging - and not compressing - the recovery.img file inside?

Sorry, I'm not conversant with winrar (it's been at least a year or more since I was last near it) but that's a key point to making this work right.

I was using the wrong file. I figured that out after I flashed the twrp recovery instead. I got it now, but I thank you very much for your help!
Cbelflower321 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cbelflower321 For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (August 8th, 2011)
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions?

Not sure I've seen this happen, so I maybe left with a phone that does nothing but I'll ask.

In the last step in rooting the phone where it was downloading recovery for my phone, I got a message on my screen that said Revolutionary has stopped working and was shutting down..and so it did. And as soon as it did, it just stopped downloading.

I can get back to the normal home screen but it won't send a text or make any calls.

Any suggestions?
Volbeat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volbeat View Post
Not sure I've seen this happen, so I maybe left with a phone that does nothing but I'll ask.

In the last step in rooting the phone where it was downloading recovery for my phone, I got a message on my screen that said Revolutionary has stopped working and was shutting down..and so it did. And as soon as it did, it just stopped downloading.

I can get back to the normal home screen but it won't send a text or make any calls.

Any suggestions?
Does it say Revolutionary at the top and S-OFF instead of S-ON in the bootloader? In that case:

First, manually install a recovery from the top of this thread. Either Clockwork or TWRP. If you want a vote for preference, I'd vote TWRP.

Second, do what it says in this thread: http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/385959-error-16-sprint.html
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It does say revolutionary at the top. I've downloaded the TWRP, how do I install it?
Volbeat is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

It is listed at the top of the thread, but here's the clipped version:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novox77 View Post
UPDATE.ZIP METHOD:
This method can be used to flash to any partition, not just recovery. Essentially you place a file at the top (root) level directory of your SD card and HBOOT will automatically find the file and flash its contents. The filename needs to be named PG86IMG.ZIP for the Evo 3D, and it needs to contain the .img files named the same as the partition name.

Most of the time, you don't need to worry about all this; the file you download will already be in the correct format. You just have to rename it to PG86IMG.ZIP. The link to TWRP recovery above is distributed in this update.zip format. All you need to do is rename it and put it in the root of your SD card. Then boot into HBOOT. HBOOT will automatically scan for the file, and if it was named correctly, it will ask you if you want to flash what's in the file. Say yes, and it will do it's thing. That's it.

If you only have the .img file, you can make your own update.zip file. For example, if you have a recovery image file, it needs to be named recovery.img. Then, put it in a ZIP file without compression. Name the file PG86IMG.ZIP, and you're all set.
Take that file, rename it to PG86IMG.zip, put it in your SD card (not in a sub folder) and boot into the bootloader. It'll ask you if you want to flash the file it detected. You do. Leave it alone until finishes. IIRC, it's pretty quick (10-20 seconds). Reboot and delete PG86IMG.zip off your SD card.

Then check out the Error 16 thread.
jerofld is offline  
Last edited by jerofld; August 8th, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
Thread Author (OP)
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Note to novox77 - Your OP is out of date on the CWM image - this one is current:

http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-shooter.img
updated.

Yep, ROM Manager works to flash CWM. When the OP was written, it wasn't confirmed yet if ROM Manager was updated to work with Evo 3D. I'll incorporate that stuff in the next few days.

One thing though: it's always good to know how to flash the recovery manually. ROM Manager is a time saver, but it can be a handicap if that's the only way you know how to do it. For example, if your recovery is corrupted, and you can't boot into your current ROM, you can't get to ROM Manager. Then you have to do it in the way the OP describes.
novox77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to novox77 For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (August 8th, 2011)
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 633
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 90
Thanked 80 Times in 67 Posts
Default

I have S-OFF but Revolutionary did not successfully flash clockworkmod recovery. I also had the Google log in problem and the error 16 problem. Both have been resolved.

I am having a problem flashing clockworkmod. I downloaded the file from the link above, renamed it both PG86IMG and PG86IMG.ZIP for the windows zip.zip issue, copied it to the root of my sd card booted into hboot per this link How to boot into bootloader (HBOOT) and no joy.

Either I am having a file name issue or I am not getting into hboot successfully. I'm ending up on the white screen with fastboot, factory reset, simlock and image CRC options. Should the file have been recognized and installed at this point or is there another step I am missing after this screen?
jamesdean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,235
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,399
Thanked 1,430 Times in 974 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean View Post
I have S-OFF but Revolutionary did not successfully flash clockworkmod recovery. I also had the Google log in problem and the error 16 problem. Both have been resolved.

I am having a problem flashing clockworkmod. I downloaded the file from the link above, renamed it both PG86IMG and PG86IMG.ZIP for the windows zip.zip issue, copied it to the root of my sd card booted into hboot per this link How to boot into bootloader (HBOOT) and no joy.

Either I am having a file name issue or I am not getting into hboot successfully. I'm ending up on the white screen with fastboot, factory reset, simlock and image CRC options. Should the file have been recognized and installed at this point or is there another step I am missing after this screen?
The file should have been recognized upon entrance at the hboot. PG86IMG.zip should be the full name w/ extension.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCHitman1 For This Useful Post:
jamesdean (August 9th, 2011)
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 633
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 90
Thanked 80 Times in 67 Posts
Default

I can see something like no image or wrong image as hboot scrolls some commands.

Am I correct that I need this file http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-shooter.img and just rename it to PG86IMG.zip? If so, that's what I did but maybe I got a corrupted file download.
jamesdean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #36 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,235
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,399
Thanked 1,430 Times in 974 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean View Post
I can see something like no image or wrong image as hboot scrolls some commands.

Am I correct that I need this file http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-shooter.img and just rename it to PG86IMG.zip? If so, that's what I did but maybe I got a corrupted file download.
Most likely received a corrupted recovery file. Either way, don't mess with Clockwork. It's terrible. Go with TWRP.

[RECOVERY] [EVO3D] TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) v1.0.3 [08/05/2011] - xda-developers
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCHitman1 For This Useful Post:
jamesdean (August 9th, 2011)
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 633
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 90
Thanked 80 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
Most likely received a corrupted recovery file. Either way, don't mess with Clockwork. It's terrible. Go with TWRP.

[RECOVERY] [EVO3D] TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) v1.0.3 [08/05/2011] - xda-developers
Either one?

recovery-twrp-shooter-1.0.3.img
md5: 0fd1f8c2716d756b36ef46b9fa599f91

PG86IMG-twrp-shooter-1.0.3.zip
md5: a0cecc3ce47c643d4ee82013065b83e4

Same process with the renaming to PG86IMG.zip or is the second download good to go with that name?

Thanks for your help on this.
jamesdean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,235
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,399
Thanked 1,430 Times in 974 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean View Post
Either one?

recovery-twrp-shooter-1.0.3.img
md5: 0fd1f8c2716d756b36ef46b9fa599f91

PG86IMG-twrp-shooter-1.0.3.zip
md5: a0cecc3ce47c643d4ee82013065b83e4

Same process with the renaming to PG86IMG.zip or is the second download good to go with that name?

Thanks for your help on this.
Download the 2nd file and just delete the -twrp-shooter-1.0.3 and put it on the root of your SD card. Boot into hboot and it'll auto-detect it. Follow the instructions once it does.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 633
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 90
Thanked 80 Times in 67 Posts
Default

That worked but I still do not have root. I'll go back and poke around the forum.
jamesdean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 633
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 90
Thanked 80 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Unlike rooting the 4G with unrevoked, I do not have a super user app. Should this have happened with the XDA flash or do I need to download it separately?
jamesdean is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 633
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 90
Thanked 80 Times in 67 Posts
Default

NYCHitman1, I now have SU installed and root. Thanks again for your help earlier.
jamesdean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #42 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,235
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,399
Thanked 1,430 Times in 974 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean View Post
NYCHitman1, I now have SU installed and root. Thanks again for your help earlier.

No problem. That's what we're all here for anyways. :-)
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 633
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 90
Thanked 80 Times in 67 Posts
Default

I no longer have fastboot as an option on a power off although I have it checked under the power settings. I think I had four options with the power off before the perm root but now only see 3. Oddly enough a friend that has not rooted only has 3 available on his phone also. They are power off, airplane mode and restart. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Update, I do in fact have fastboot. The options on power off are the same as before root, the power off just performs a fastboot. Excuse my question above, I got a little frazzled after fighting through the problems of flashing a recovery. It's amazing what a little sleep will do
jamesdean is offline  
Last edited by jamesdean; August 10th, 2011 at 04:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #44 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,235
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,399
Thanked 1,430 Times in 974 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean View Post
I no longer have fastboot as an option on a power off although I have it checked under the power settings. I think I had four options with the power off before the perm root but now only see 3. Oddly enough a friend that has not rooted only has 3 available on his phone also. They are power off, airplane mode and restart. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Update, I do in fact have fastboot. The options on power off are the same as before root, the power off just performs a fastboot. Excuse my question above, I got a little frazzled after fighting through the problems of flashing a recovery. It's amazing what a little sleep will do
The reason that happens is because you have Fast Boot selected in the Power menu in Settings. If you turn it off, you can boot into bootloader and see all the options again. Once you flash a custom ROM, you might obtain the ability to have multiple restart options.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 633
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 90
Thanked 80 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
The reason that happens is because you have Fast Boot selected in the Power menu in Settings. If you turn it off, you can boot into bootloader and see all the options again. Once you flash a custom ROM, you might obtain the ability to have multiple restart options.
Actually where I got crossed up was thinking there was a fastbook option in the normal power off sequence. In other words I thought there was a specific (4th) option that never existed. The power off option performs the fastboot if that is checked in the settings.

Have said that all is working well except for wireless tether only browsing Google sites. Barnacle will browse all sites and wireless tether will access a pop email account via smtp on a site it will not browse. Go figure.
jamesdean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #46 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Would this also work on a plain Evo 4G ?If not could someone please give instuctions on how to? Sorry if this is a dumb question...Thanks..
mottern81 is offline  
Last edited by mottern81; August 16th, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #47 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
Thread Author (OP)
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottern81 View Post
Would this also work on a plain Evo 4G ?If not could someone please give instuctions on how to? Sorry if this is a dumb question...Thanks..
Yes, this procedure would work with the Evo 4G. Only difference is if you use the sdcard (update.zip) method. You'd want to name your zip file PC36IMG.zip instead of PG86IMG.zip (differences in red text).

And just make sure that the recovery image that you are flashing is made for the Evo 4G. Do NOT attempt to flash a recovery made for any other phone.
novox77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 01:16 AM   #48 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DasGypsy Send a message via MSN to DasGypsy Send a message via Yahoo to DasGypsy
Default

So, I am an old school user who updates everything when available, which means that hboot for me has been updated to 1.50.0. I have gone through the HTC process of unlocking my bootloader. I currently have S-Off and Bootloader is unlocked. I have attempted both clockwork mod and TWRP, I can manually flash via fastboot without results, I try the PG86IMG.zip method and consistently get an error when the boot loader parses the zip file
Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Press <Power> to reboot.

Not entirely certain what I am doing wrong. The only inconsistency I can find vs the instructions is how I got S-Off and an Unlocked Bootloader. Is there maybe a setting to change to compensate for having a different version of HBOOT?

DasGypsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 06:43 AM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wake69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,808
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 98
Thanked 516 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasGypsy View Post
So, I am an old school user who updates everything when available, which means that hboot for me has been updated to 1.50.0. I have gone through the HTC process of unlocking my bootloader. I currently have S-Off and Bootloader is unlocked. I have attempted both clockwork mod and TWRP, I can manually flash via fastboot without results, I try the PG86IMG.zip method and consistently get an error when the boot loader parses the zip file
Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Press <Power> to reboot.

Not entirely certain what I am doing wrong. The only inconsistency I can find vs the instructions is how I got S-Off and an Unlocked Bootloader. Is there maybe a setting to change to compensate for having a different version of HBOOT?

htc method is not s-off so you have to flash through fastboot
__________________
Phone: HTC One M8
Root Method: Not Yet
wake69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wake69 For This Useful Post:
DasGypsy (August 31st, 2011)
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DasGypsy Send a message via MSN to DasGypsy Send a message via Yahoo to DasGypsy
Default

@Wake69
Thank you for pointing out that security is still on. I am still unable to make fastboot work though flashing the file into the phone. I have followed different sets of instructions that basically detail the same process but nothing seems to give me a custom recovery.

Honestly I am about ready to put a hammer through the screen and take the phone back to sprint and get another one that hopefully hasn't been updated already.
DasGypsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
android-info.txt, flash image


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 3D > (CDMA) EVO 3D - All Things Root

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.