Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 3D > (CDMA) EVO 3D - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm rooted via the HTC HBOOT 1.5 method running Olympus Trinity 3D Rom. Everything works great except the 3G data connection--it drops randomly every 10-15 minutes up to an hour interval.

Most of the time I can't tell, but every time the data connection drops, my AIM instant messenger app will tell me I am signed on in two places. Also it makes downloading any file a race against the clock.

Help?

I should add that my Sprint Evo 3D never did this on stock rom and running PDANet.

TabulaVicious is offline  
Last edited by Frisco; January 19th, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Does that ROM use a custom kernel and did you flash the kernel using the fastboot method or the FlashGUI method?

Have you tried another ROM? A lot of users here like the Xplod ROM and CleanROM.

How recently have you rooted? Have you taken the most recent OTA?

Have you cleared out your cache and dalvik cache? Did you clear them out before flashing the ROM?
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
Does that ROM use a custom kernel and did you flash the kernel using the fastboot method or the FlashGUI method?
I only used whatever came inside the .zip file. I used the Fastboot method.

Quote:
Have you tried another ROM? A lot of users here like the Xplod ROM and CleanROM.
Only Revolutionary and I couldn't get Tether to work at all, even though I am paying for Sprint Hotspot service.

Quote:
How recently have you rooted? Have you taken the most recent OTA?
I rooted 2 days ago, I'm not sure what the most recent OTA I had was.

Quote:
Have you cleared out your cache and dalvik cache? Did you clear them out before flashing the ROM?
No, I didn't do that. What does clearing the cache do and what is the difference between the regular cache and the dalvik cache?

If I sound like a n00b, it's because I am a n00b.

Thanks for your assistance.
TabulaVicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaVicious View Post
I only used whatever came inside the .zip file. I used the Fastboot method.
Ok good, so that's not the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaVicious View Post
Only Revolutionary and I couldn't get Tether to work at all, even though I am paying for Sprint Hotspot service.
Is revolutionary a ROM? I know revolutionary is a S-Off method and wouldn't work with HBOOT 1.5. I don't think it would screw anything up, though. But give the Xplod ROM or CleanROM a shot. Just remember to clear cache and dalvik before you flash the ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaVicious View Post
I rooted 2 days ago, I'm not sure what the most recent OTA I had was.
The most recent OTA would have asked you to accept it and only have been available in the last week. I'll assume you don't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaVicious View Post
No, I didn't do that. What does clearing the cache do and what is the difference between the regular cache and the dalvik cache?
This explanation is simplified, but for now it should do: Cache stores Android's regularly accessed files, for quicker loading. The dalvik cache stores the cache files for the dalvik virtual machine. The dalvik VM is a security measure to make it so apps can't directly modify the system.

The reason why you clear both the cache and the dalvik cache before flashing a ROM is that different ROMs use different caching techniques, names the files differently, etc. If you don't clear them out, the flashed ROM may have installation problems. Or you may have problems while running the phone...like your noted problem. Or apps constantly force close. Or any number of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaVicious View Post
If I sound like a n00b, it's because I am a n00b.
Hey, we were all noobs at some point. You only stop being a noob by asking questions and reading up on stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaVicious View Post
Thanks for your assistance.
You're welcome! It's what these forums are for
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
Frisco (January 19th, 2012), ocnbrze (January 18th, 2012)
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
Is revolutionary a ROM? I know revolutionary is a S-Off method and wouldn't work with HBOOT 1.5. I don't think it would screw anything up, though. But give the Xplod ROM or CleanROM a shot. Just remember to clear cache and dalvik before you flash the ROM.
My bad, the name of the ROM I tried and discarded because WiFi & USB tether did not work was called Android Revolutionary HD.

[ROM] Android Revolution HD™ 1.1.3 | High Quality & Performance | O/C | Legendary - xda-developers

I will try Xplod and Clean ROM and report back...
TabulaVicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaVicious View Post
My bad, the name of the ROM I tried and discarded because WiFi & USB tether did not work was called Android Revolutionary HD.

[ROM] Android Revolution HD™ 1.1.3 | High Quality & Performance | O/C | Legendary - xda-developers

I will try Xplod and Clean ROM and report back...
Oh good. So you were not trying to use the Revolutionary S-OFF method :P

Sorry, but I've learned to try to assume nothing when helping someone out.
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (January 18th, 2012)
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
devinEVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: S.E. OK
Posts: 176
 
Device(s): SGSII E4GT
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 56
Thanked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to devinEVO
Default

download msl reader and write your msl down.

go to phone and type in ##3282#

enter your msl as the password

go to evdo and change from cdma only to automatic... and it should be fixed
devinEVO is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devinEVO For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (January 18th, 2012)
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinEVO View Post
download msl reader and write your msl down.

go to phone and type in ##3282#

enter your msl as the password

go to evdo and change from cdma only to automatic... and it should be fixed
Tried that... My EVDO was already set to automatic mode.
TabulaVicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Detroit,MI
Posts: 384
 
Device(s): EVO 3d ZR3D/ZIGGYS LATEST EVO 4g Kings Alliance RLS3(not activated) METRO PCS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 134 Times in 96 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to mteezey
Default

Myself and some other users have our 3vos flashed to metroPOS and have problems with our evdo connection while running Olympus.
I would go with the suggestion above of cleanrom. Curious to hear back too. I need a stable 3g ROM.
mteezey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok, finally had time to play with this again.

Rebooted into USB Fastboot.

Fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

fastboot boot twrp-shooter-2.0.0rc0.img

Wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache.

Install CleanROM 2.9.5.

Wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache again...

So far I've gone about 30 minutes without a momentary dropped 3G connection.

I'll still need a few more hours of continuous use to test things out, but so far, it looks like CleanROM 2.9.5 did the trick! Olympus rom was a POS.

Thanks for all the commentary guys, I've learned alot in rooting my phone. I've owned the Evo 3D since the first week it came out in June 2011 if I remember right--it replaced an ancient 2003 vintage (color screen!) flip phone... I kinda wish I started messing with this stuff earlier but going from a phone that just makes phone calls to an Android phone is a big learning curve.
TabulaVicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ugh.... spoke too soon. 3G connection is still dropping on the phone. Maybe it's time to try a Wireless tethering app instead of Sprint Mobile Hotspot.
TabulaVicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaVicious View Post
Ugh.... spoke too soon. 3G connection is still dropping on the phone. Maybe it's time to try a Wireless tethering app instead of Sprint Mobile Hotspot.
It couldn't hurt. CleanROM should have WirelessTether app installed.

(Please note that TabulaVicious is a paying member of tether, so use of alternate tethering apps is OK. For anyone reading this, if you're not paying for it, use of these apps are in violation of Sprint's Official Tethering Policy)
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
agentc13 (January 19th, 2012), devinEVO (January 19th, 2012), Frisco (January 19th, 2012)
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
It couldn't hurt. CleanROM should have WirelessTether app installed.
I've using the WirelessTether app... it seems to work but there is some wierd DNS issue. I can open up Google.com but not any other site. Ideas?
TabulaVicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaVicious View Post
I've using the WirelessTether app... it seems to work but there is some wierd DNS issue. I can open up Google.com but not any other site. Ideas?
Ok, I'll PM you the rest of the details.
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaVicious View Post
I'm rooted via the HTC HBOOT 1.5 method running Olympus Trinity 3D Rom. Everything works great except the 3G data connection--it drops randomly every 10-15 minutes up to an hour interval.

Most of the time I can't tell, but every time the data connection drops, my AIM instant messenger app will tell me I am signed on in two places. Also it makes downloading any file a race against the clock.

Help?

I should add that my Sprint Evo 3D never did this on stock rom and running PDANet.
My solution and experience:
Solution: Give yourself a missed call from another phone, (or send in an sms). Somehow this 'establishes' some connection and viola! data connection is back in 5 seconds. (i know, for calling yourself u need to ask someone for his phone.. lol)

Also: I got a dual sim phone. I use Vodafone and Uninor (India).
Data is always connected and fine when on Vodafone, but drops when i use data on Uninor. So I use the above method to re-establish data.
Hope it works for you!
Regards
rishidoshi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 3D > (CDMA) EVO 3D - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.