Typed this up for a friend I thought it would be nice to share with any new droid charge owners looking for a guide to how to root EP4D.
Major Credit goes to:
I learned how to do this from his website:
Root Stock Droid Charge EP4D:
First download this tool:
It will be used to run an md5 check on the files before they are flashed to your phone.
Next download this:
This is Odin the *Windows* program used to interact with your phone.
Next download this:
This is CWM your main interface that will be used when loading roms, etc
Finally download this:
This is the file that you flash to root your phone.
Run MD5 Tool to make sure all the MD5's match the previous MD5 checksum!
1. Open the MD5it program
2. Drag the file into the file box and select MD5it!
3. Verify that the MD5 created matches the ones above (if they don't re-download)
4. Repeat for all files
Now you have all the files downloaded to root your phone. The steps to root stock droid charge are as follows:
Copy files to SD card
1. On the home screen select settings
2. Select USB setting and turn on USB debugging
3. Plug in your phone to your computer (give it a min to install drivers)
4. Pull down your top bar and select "Connect storage to PC" button
5. Create a new folder called Downloads
6. Drag the Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip file into the Downloads folder that you just created
7. Hit the "Disconnect from storage PC" button on your phone
8. Turn off your phone
9. Once the phone is completely off take out the battery
10. Open Odin then while holding the volume button down plug your phone into the computer
11. When you get the Yellow triangle with android in it your in download mode, plug battery back in.
12. On the left under option uncheck Auto Reboot (you and leave F. Reset Time checked)
13. Once Odin picks up your phone (a yellow com box will show up) click on PDA and browse to the CWM file and select it
14. Click start (it should be a quick flash)
15. Once the flash says successful take out battery and unplug phone
16. Put your battery back in the phone
17. Hold down volume up and home (button on bottom of phone that has an up arrow) and the power button
18. Once you see the Samsung logo release the power button but continue to hold down the volume up and home button down
19. Once your phone has booted into CWM(there will be a banana at the bottom of the screen) arrow down with the volume button and select mounts and storage with the power button
20. Arrow down to the option that says mount system and use the power button to select it
21. Arrow down and select go back
22. Arrow down and select install zip from sdcard
23. Select choose zip from sdcard
24. Arrow down and select Downloads
25. Select the file that says Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip
26. Arrow down and select Yes - Install Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip
27. Select Go Back
28. Select Go Back
29. Select reboot system now
Let the phone boot up go the market and install root check it should say you’re rooted. Then your all done your phone has root that wasn't so hard was it
If you still are unsure or run into any problems feel free to send me a pm I would be happy to help you through the process via skype.