I keep getting a lot of requests on how to explain and simplify the root and custom recovery installation on the Motorola CliqXT. So for those people who are on WINDOWS and want a simple method here is the simplified way.
I have used the files provided by ModMyMobile and made a few scripts that allow for Root to be installed.
Follow the YouTube Video as well as the instructions below:
YouTube - Simple and Easy Root and Custom Recovery Installation on the Motorola CliqXT
1. Download "Connectbot" from the Android Market: https://market.android.com/details?id=org.connectbot
2. Enable USB Debugging on the Motorla CliqXT. This can be done by going to MENU--SETTINGS--APPLICATIONS--DEVELOPMENT--USB DEBUGGING. Make sure that it gets a green arrow.
3. Download Motorola ADB Drivers. Choose the version of the Windows you are running:
MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers
4. Install the Motorola ADB Drivers.
5. **At this point you might want to disable AntiVirus as some will find rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin to be an Android Virus. Being that it is an exploit for Android it is understandable to be mistaken as that, but this the method required for root**
Download my ROOT files:
Extract ROOT files onto your Desktop.
6. Plugin the Motorola CliqXT onto your Computer. Wait for all the drivers to install. You should see a message saying that the ADB interface drivers were installed. If not just wait a few minutes and everything should get installed.
7. Open the ROOT folder you extracted on your Desktop.
8. Double click on #1-Run this to start ROOT.
This will upload the files needed onto the phone. It might take a few minutes, on the video it was quick as I already had these files in the SDCard of my phone. Once it gets to the point that it says Adb Shell and has a $ with a blinking underscore (_) then we are ready to go to the phone.
9. Open up ConnectBot on the phone that you previously downloaded.
10. Click on where it says SSH and change it to Local. Type any name and press enter. Once you get the black screen with the $ you can type the following lines:
11. It will show a message, just wait till it shows
FORKED **** Childs.
**** is a number. Once that happens you can close down Connectbot.
12. Re-Open ConnectBot. If successful you should see a # meaning you have temporary root already.
13. Now type the following commands:
14. Nothing should happen, except getting another # sign, meaning that the script has finished.
15. Now go back to your computer and close down the command prompt window.
16. Click on the file called: #2-Run this to start RECOVERY
17. Wait a few seconds and then you will get the $ _
Type the following command:
18. On the phone there should be a prompt that says SU user request. Click ALLOW.
19. On the computer now it should give you a #.
20. Type the following commands:
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
***You might get an error when doing the rm /system/recovery.img (something like "No such file or directory") that is OKAY, this is just to verify that the recovery doesn't get overwritten by stock one***
21. Enjoy you have just rooted and installed a custom recovery on your CliqXT.
HOW TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROM!
YouTube - Installing a ROM on the Motorola CliqXT (Cyanogen Mod 7 (CM7) - Android 2.3 - Gingerbread)
On this video I forgot to mention that you should BACKUP your stock ROM.
Before doing the WIPE, you should choose BACKUP and Restore, then choose Backup Nand. Let it run.
After that you can follow the video and do the WIPE!