I think I know the answer and I think it's probably 'just go get a new one' but, in case not, here goes!
I have a D-Link DI-524 (802.11G) that works perfectly fine for my laptop, my work laptop, my phone and my son's phone. Everything connects and stays connected, no issues at all.
My son's laptop will NOT stay connected and boots everything off when it tries to connect. It finds it, connects, boots me off, then disconnects. Repeat cycle endlessly. He has a Lenovo G530, I have a G550 so they are basically the same. I have gone into every setting I can find/think of and it seems OK. I have reset the router back to factory and reset it up. Nothing works. His laptop just won't stay connected?
I did look for a firmware update but the one I find is a lower version than I have on the router, but a 'newer' date. Ummm, yeah, it was discontinued/end of life in 2008 so it's old. The stupid thing should work on his laptop though, since I have no trouble with anything else.
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (Verizon)
Evo 4G - retired/rooted
Thanked 1,721 Times in 1,162 Posts
Hmm... I'm sure you probably tried everything I can think of..
Any ACLs on that device that might not allow the laptop to connect? Or perhaps something like running out of DHCP addresses (perhaps you have a small DHCP pool)... I dunno.
I'm not sure of that model, but if you are planning on upgrading, see if there is alternative firmware available. I read about alt firmware for some cisco/linksys equipment that adds a bunch of functionality to it. So maybe... *shrugs*
I will have to see if there is filtering or not, don't recall if that is something he tried or not. I know he has not uninstalled/re-installed the drivers either. He hasn't checked the link provided yet so when he is doing that we will see about the filtering.
Picked up a Belkin N450 DB, so far so good. He's connected and seems to be staying connected.
It only took three tries for the stupid easy set-up (my ass!!) to work. lol. It would not recognize the printed password that was assigned to it. UGH. Oh well, it's working...
Thanks to all...