Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > Computers & IT

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zuben el genub

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,151
 
Device(s): Oppo Find 7 Nexus 4, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 62
Thanked 971 Times in 776 Posts
Default Microsoft Burgled

Microsoft burgled, only the APPLE iPADS stolen - cops confirm ? The Register

And these idiots want to to control your home for efficiency?

Advertisements
__________________
Sent by UFO
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
pbf98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,099
 
Device(s): Galaxy S5 Droid Razr Motorola Triumph
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 104
Thanked 180 Times in 139 Posts
Default

I don't know if you have ever visited a Microsoft campus, but they are pretty secure. So I would assume this was a person with access to the building. Which then with the type of security they have, they should then be able to look at the logs to see who accessed the specific area in that time frame.
Each employee has an RFID name badge and then depending on what that employee does that name badge can open certain doors. Every time it opens a door it is logged. So I don't know how they are unable to use camera footage plus that to come up with an answer sooner.
I don't know how it would have not been forced entry if they didn't have one of these badges.
pbf98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuben el genub View Post

And these idiots want to to control your home for efficiency?


Clarify your point. Are you saying MS prefers iPads over the Surface or that they were burgled and therefore, their security sucks? Again, please clarify.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
pbf98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,099
 
Device(s): Galaxy S5 Droid Razr Motorola Triumph
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 104
Thanked 180 Times in 139 Posts
Default

I am assuming they had iPads for R&D. Most MS employees have a surface tablet provided by MS for personal and work uses. From what I gather most of their employees prefer MS products over the competitors, which would make sense to me..
pbf98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,151
 
Device(s): Oppo Find 7 Nexus 4, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 62
Thanked 971 Times in 776 Posts
Default

MS wanted their OS to control you thermostat, coffee maker, program your VCR/DVD recorder and do your security system.

I've seen the same proposals from Apple, and probably Google, too.

Also, irony. Someone burgles MS and only steals iPads? Why not Surface tablets?
pbf98 likes this.
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuben el genub View Post
MS wanted their OS to control you thermostat, coffee maker, program your VCR/DVD recorder and do your security system.

I've seen the same proposals from Apple, and probably Google, too.

Also, irony. Someone burgles MS and only steals iPads? Why not Surface tablets?
All corporations are looking to sell anything and everything they can. I know Microsoft R&D (and Apple, Google and the rest) researches many different things through their Research divisions.

The iPad is a quick sale and the Surface is likely too new. I would take the iPad over the surface iffin' I be a burgler. Chances are you will find many Surface tablets at the Apple campus.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Clarify your point. Are you saying MS prefers iPads over the Surface or that they were burgled and therefore, their security sucks? Again, please clarify.
Why would that be unusual? Remember that Steve Jobs used an IBM ThinkPad...
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
pbf98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,099
 
Device(s): Galaxy S5 Droid Razr Motorola Triumph
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 104
Thanked 180 Times in 139 Posts
Default

I also like the irony in the fact they stole iPads at a MS facility. I think its a little funny, something you wouldn't expect to hear haha
pbf98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Nexus5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Online
Gender: Male
Posts: 30
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

When you start to wonder what MS would have been developing/testing on those devices, stealing them seems a little more interesting don't you think?
Nexus5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbf98 View Post
I also like the irony in the fact they stole iPads at a MS facility. I think its a little funny, something you wouldn't expect to hear haha
No, what would be odd is if MS did not have a pile of the things lying about.

Goggle has them as does Dell and all other Android manufacturers.

Nothing odd about it at all. I had all sorts of competitor's crap piled high in my cubicle.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus5 View Post
When you start to wonder what MS would have been developing/testing on those devices, stealing them seems a little more interesting don't you think?
Why is it so odd to think they had iPads because they want to understand them? Why start thinking there is something really odd or nefarious afoot?

MS offers the Surface and NOT to be familiar with the iPad would seem rather odd.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,674
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 609
Thanked 798 Times in 637 Posts
Default

Didn't nobody want MS crap...
__________________
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything! - Sly Stone
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Apparently, this happened in Building 5. According to the article, Building 5 is where MS develops apps for Apple hardware. So there you go . . . the reason MS had a cache of iPads.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Maxey For This Useful Post:
mikedt (January 17th, 2013), Speed Daemon (January 10th, 2013)
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Nexus5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Online
Gender: Male
Posts: 30
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Why is it so odd to think they had iPads because they want to understand them? Why start thinking there is something really odd or nefarious afoot?

MS offers the Surface and NOT to be familiar with the iPad would seem rather odd.
I think it's very predictable that MS has iPads, and Android devices, especially since they make software for a living. That really wasn't the point.

I also didn't mean to sound like MS would be doing anything 'nefarious' with the competitions hardware.

I was however thinking anything they are doing in terms of software development on those devices could be of massive importance for competing companies.

Like if you found out MS is working on an x86 style direct X 9 compatible gaming layer for iPads and Androids to enable them to play 1st generation XBox titles, and you manufacture game pads with Bluetooth options.. Well that's going to change your outlook a lot!

Especially if MS can't decide on whether to release the software or keep it under wraps, and you could re-compile it and release it as your own code?
Nexus5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > Computers & IT
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.