Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Computers & IT

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By mikedt
  • 3 Post By MoodyBlues
  • 1 Post By nickdalzell
  • 2 Post By mikedt
  • 2 Post By MoodyBlues
  • 1 Post By Speed Daemon

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,218
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default This is pretty cool

Linux toying around has landed me Android within Linux...one way to get Netflix to run in Linux is to run Android inside of Linux and use the Netflix app. but this is still too cool! something about using Linux ignites this itch in me to play around in it--sometimes bringing it to a grinding halt or finding neat ways to run operating systems inside of it and more--easier than running a VM in Windows. i couldn't pull this off easily in Win8


__________________
Device(s):
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Stock, rooted TouchWiz)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (non-rooted, stock)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (obsolete, slow, rooted)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
nickdalzell is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,652
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,943
Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,787 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

I believe Netflix uses Microsoft's Silverlight(Why? $$$ from Microsoft?) rather than Flash for in-browser streaming on a PC. Of course MS only makes Silverlight for Windows, nothing else.

Can't try it myself, as Netflix is US only.
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; January 12th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,218
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

the app installs and runs in the SDK emulator but i wonder if it will have sound. all the notification tones are nonexistant so i cannot test until i view a video through Android on top of Linux. not sure what is included in the SDK androids, if sound is even enabled or how i'd go about it. right now i'm just giddy that i got it to boot up

EDIT: Netflix does run, i get audio but NO video playback. the emulator is running Android 4.2 not sure if that has anything to do with it...i'll see if it runs in 4.0 and let you all know.

here's another screencap, looks more like i'm running a widget on top of Linux:

nickdalzell is online now  
Last edited by nickdalzell; January 13th, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,782
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 927
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
I believe Netflix uses Microsoft's Silverlight(Why? $$$ from Microsoft?) rather than Flash for in-browser streaming on a PC. Of course MS only makes Silverlight for Windows, nothing else.
Does Netflix not work on [Linux] browsers with Moonlight installed?
__________________
Info on Heartbleed bug; updated with helpful links


MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,218
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Sadly, Moody, the moonlight plugin does not work. i don't think it supports the method of DRM that Silverlight does--yet

Silverlight will install successfully in wine, but it will give a player error 1001 when attempting to play a video.
nickdalzell is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,782
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 927
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Ah, I see. Oh well, I have Amazon Prime which includes streaming movies, TV shows, etc.--and it works on ALL computers.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,218
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

it would not work on my smartTV where most of my Netflix time is used though

i tried Hulu Plus which runs in Linux but it hasn't nearly the library of TV shows that Netflix does (it lacks Star Trek which is a deal breaker for me) plus Hulu Plus's bandwidth requirements are so high my internet connection (wireless system in the country) is not good enough and i lack the provisions for cable/DSL so i cannot get higher speed.

Hopefully the Moonlight plugin will get an upgrade soon though, but so far i've found the one thing an Ubuntu distro cannot do as of yet. i'm still converting some of my apps over...still trying to diagnose the lack of video playback on the Android app though...sound works great

Pear included a very nice CD burning application, has a great selection of current web browsers, and the version of Wine included may satisfy some of my games but i will need to find a faster hotspot first to find out
nickdalzell is online now  
Last edited by nickdalzell; January 13th, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,652
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,943
Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,787 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Ah, I see. Oh well, I have Amazon Prime which includes streaming movies, TV shows, etc.--and it works on ALL computers.
Amazon Prime uses Flash, that's why it works on most major OSs. While Netflix uses MS's nasty Windows only Silverlight thing. Netflix is owned by Amazon....did MS pay Netflix a bribe or something?
MoodyBlues likes this.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,652
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,943
Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,787 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
Sadly, Moody, the moonlight plugin does not work. i don't think it supports the method of DRM that Silverlight does--yet
Chances are Moonlight with never support MS's Moonlight Digital Restrictions Management(DRM). No doubt how it works and how to implement it is a Microsoft proprietary trade secret, and is subject to draconian NDAs. Like most things from MS.

Moonlight is a community developed open source project, based on the public specification that MS publishes for Silverlight. it uses no MS code. Rather like what Mono is to MS's .NET framework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
Silverlight will install successfully in wine, but it will give a player error 1001 when attempting to play a video.
You could always run Windows in a virtual machine from Linux, like Virtual Box. Or boot into Windows when you want to watch Netflix.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; January 14th, 2013 at 03:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,744
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,462 Times in 754 Posts
Default Re: This is pretty cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
Amazon Prime uses Flash, that's why it works on most major OSs. While Netflix uses MS's nasty Windows only Silverlight thing. Netflix is owned by Amazon....did MS pay Netflix a bribe or something?
Is it really or is it that Netflix uses Amazon services for their IT infrastructure and probably pays a lot of money for it
__________________
Find a post helpful? Hit
See spam or something offensive? Hit
New to the site? Site Rules/Guidelines and Introductions
Not a member yet but want to join? Join here!
Let's cure cancer with our phones
palmtree5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Although I'm an accomplished Linux user/admin, and have plenty of spare PCs that I could use for Netflix and other services like it, I've found that buying one of those little ~$50US video appliances that are sold everywhere from Best Buy to Wal-Mart save me the headaches of using a full-blown computer OS, and then having to stay vigilant about patching all of the vulnerable software (Flash, Java etc.) to keep the bad guys out.

BTW, if you haven't heard already, Java has been exploited, and you should turn it off in your browser until the next release comes out on Tuesday (which is what Oracle has promised).
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,782
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 927
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
You could always run Windows in a virtual machine from Linux, like Virtual Box. Or boot into Windows when you want to watch Netflix.
I wouldn't do that. For several reasons. First, of course, I have no copies of windoze nor would I want any. Not going to dirty my network with that garbage.

Second, I've been vigilant for decades about expressing my unhappiness with companies who were M$-centric. Remember when many web sites REQUIRED Internet ExploDer in order to access them? I wrote to every single one and told them I don't use M$ garbage, including its INSECURE, non-standards compliant, crap browser, and I wouldn't give them my business until they programmed their sites so all browsers could access them. I used to point them to the AnyBrowser.org web site, too. Do you know how long it's been since I encountered an IE only web site? Me either! It's been so long it's a vague memory now. But that's because people like me complained.

So when a company like Netflix refuses to acknowledge and program for Linux users, my choice is to protest by A) letting them know WHY I'm not a customer and, B) NOT using some workaround to use their service. I've been saying for eons that when Linux users do something like dual boot windows so they can access a particular site, all that does is ENCOURAGE that site's belief that Linux users are insignificant. You know what I mean? If all they see in their logs is M$ visitors--even though SOME of those are actually Linux users, only reluctantly booting windoze to access that one site--they're NEVER going to change.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
argedion (January 14th, 2013), Davdi (January 24th, 2013), Speed Daemon (January 15th, 2013)
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,218
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

i am trying to ditch Windows in favor of Linux. and it seems a bit offstandish to have Windows running within Linux. what i do not understand is how the Android Netflix app gets around the DRM requirement. another thing i do not get is why it refuses to behave in the Android SDK emulator. everything else works, including the sound, games, other apps, etc. i get sound in Netflix, the pause/progress/volume bar but no video whatsoever.

i may not use it often but there are times when i'd like to finish watching something on there when i have my laptop with me, where a Roku won't exactly fit--such as on the go, at mom's, while at the laundramat, near a public hotspot, etc. for now i'll just have to use my Jelly Bean tablet.
MoodyBlues likes this.
nickdalzell is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; January 14th, 2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Accidently edited, post is back as it was, sorry about that.
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
9to5cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: /home/
Posts: 4,858
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (Verizon) Evo 4G - retired/rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,066
Thanked 1,762 Times in 1,189 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 9to5cynic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post

BTW, if you haven't heard already, Java has been exploited, and you should turn it off in your browser until the next release comes out on Tuesday (which is what Oracle has promised).
Or just leave it off for good I mean, we know it's only a matter of time (i'd bet not too long) until the next sploit comes out for it.

As a user of ancient internet access, I am immune to these high speed streaming problems... but I do like the solutions you guys have come up with for working around the limitations of Netflix.
9to5cynic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,652
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,943
Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,787 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i am trying to ditch Windows in favor of Linux. and it seems a bit offstandish to have Windows running within Linux. what i do not understand is how the Android Netflix app gets around the DRM requirement.
It does have DRM AFAIK. More than likely it's an encrypted H264 stream and the decoding is handled by the app itself. It doesn't use Silverlight, that's certain.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; January 14th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,218
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

sadly my solution didn't work. I get audio but no video. the only workaround is to carry my tablet with me and use the Android app
nickdalzell is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,652
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,943
Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,787 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
I wouldn't do that. For several reasons. First, of course, I have no copies of windoze nor would I want any. Not going to dirty my network with that garbage.

Second, I've been vigilant for decades about expressing my unhappiness with companies who were M$-centric. Remember when many web sites REQUIRED Internet ExploDer in order to access them? I wrote to every single one and told them I don't use M$ garbage, including its INSECURE, non-standards compliant, crap browser, and I wouldn't give them my business until they programmed their sites so all browsers could access them. I used to point them to the AnyBrowser.org web site, too. Do you know how long it's been since I encountered an IE only web site? Me either! It's been so long it's a vague memory now. But that's because people like me complained.

So when a company like Netflix refuses to acknowledge and program for Linux users, my choice is to protest by A) letting them know WHY I'm not a customer and, B) NOT using some workaround to use their service. I've been saying for eons that when Linux users do something like dual boot windows so they can access a particular site, all that does is ENCOURAGE that site's belief that Linux users are insignificant. You know what I mean? If all they see in their logs is M$ visitors--even though SOME of those are actually Linux users, only reluctantly booting windoze to access that one site--they're NEVER going to change.
I wonder if there's money or some other backhanders or kickbacks involved? Something like Micro$oft is paying $$$$$ to large commercial organisations like Netflix to use their Silverlight?

A few years ago when the BBC first started their iPlayer on-line viewing and streaming service. They were using Silverlight. There was one hell of a stink about it. I think even the UK Government became interested as well. About how a state funded public broadcaster was supporting Windows only. The BBC iPlayer now uses Flash, and AIR for off-line viewing, and works just fine with Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. They also have Android, Blackberry OS, Windows Phone, Symbian and iOS iPlayer apps as well.

From 2007.
What tricks is the BBC up to with Microsoft? ? The Register

"What tricks is the BBC up to with Microsoft?

Conspiracy, iPlayer, and DRM"
MoodyBlues and 9to5cynic like this.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; January 14th, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikedt For This Useful Post:
MoodyBlues (January 14th, 2013)
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
I ain't nobody!
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,544
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 572
Thanked 768 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Does Netflix not work on [Linux] browsers with Moonlight installed?
I believe Moonlight is a dead deal.

Quote:
In December 2011 Miguel de Icaza announced that work on Moonlight had stopped with no future plans. He explained that, although there was always some bloat, complication and over-engineering in the Silverlight vision, Microsoft had "cut the air supply" to it by omitting cross-platform components, making it a web-only plugin, and including Windows-only features.
__________________
Like it is...Yusef Lateef
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,782
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 927
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptech View Post
I believe Moonlight is a dead deal.
Quote:
In December 2011 Miguel de Icaza announced that work on Moonlight had stopped with no future plans. He explained that, although there was always some bloat, complication and over-engineering in the Silverlight vision, Microsoft had "cut the air supply" to it by omitting cross-platform components, making it a web-only plugin, and including Windows-only features.
Well, micro$oft needs to figure out--pretty soon, I'd say--that they are NOT god. Their mobile phone sales are in the toilet; holiday sales reports I read only discussed Android and Apple, they didn't even mention windows. Samsung recently canceled plans to release a windows RT device in the US because of "modest demand" for machines running the scaled-down version of the micro$oft operating system. I believe that Linux is now the most used operating system on the planet; of course that includes the wildly successful Android we all love here, but still, it is Linux.

M$ needs to wake up and smell the coffee. They're shooting themselves in the foot with idiotic decisions like the Moonlight issue. One of these days stupid sites, like Netflix, will realize that sticking with an M$-only model means they're shooting themselves in the foot, too.
mikedt and saptech like this.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9to5cynic View Post
Or just leave it off for good I mean, we know it's only a matter of time (i'd bet not too long) until the next sploit comes out for it.
OpenSUSE uses IcedTea by default, and has other Java alternatives available to it. I'm not certain if the exploit affects IcedTea, but better safe than sorry.
9to5cynic likes this.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 55
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3,Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
Linux toying around has landed me Android within Linux...one way to get Netflix to run in Linux is to run Android inside of Linux and use the Netflix app. but this is still too cool! something about using Linux ignites this itch in me to play around in it--sometimes bringing it to a grinding halt or finding neat ways to run operating systems inside of it and more--easier than running a VM in Windows. i couldn't pull this off easily in Win8

thanks
dirtbikerr450 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,218
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

don't thank me, this method did not work. it would let me use the Netflix app, it would load up, show my Instant Queue and let me select an episode. but all i would get is audio but a blank screen and no video. the playback controls would work but no video. never did figure out why.

neat if you want to mess around with Android and Android specific games while running Linux though
nickdalzell is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #23 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Shire
Posts: 810
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S x 2, Xperia U, Huawei Y300, N7, Generic Allwinner tab, Bluestacks
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 93
Thanked 206 Times in 154 Posts
Default

I've never been tempted to stream movies on a PC/Tablet/Phone. The only movies I stream are via cable TV to a nice big 1080p LED TV. I do use Google Play Music and Amazon MP3 quite a lot though. All we need in the UK now is WiMax everywhere and an in-car player that's compatible.
Davdi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,218
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

do in-car (add on maybe) TVs offer an HDMI input? if so there are some Android tablets with HDMI out, assuming you can get a connection on them while moving, you should be able to stream that way?

RadioShack does offer an A/V to HDMI/HD converter for $80 you can use to make the same thing work in older vehicles with ye olde CRT screen (older full-size vans)
nickdalzell is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

In general, a TV, with a built-in ATSC tuner and/or DVD player, generally doesn't have HDMI inputs. But HD monitors that are meant for in-car installation often do have HDMI inputs.

To put it another way, factory-installed video screens: probably not. Aftermarket installed video screens: just specify that you want one with HDMI in.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Computers & IT
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.