Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Computers & IT

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1101Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #701 (permalink)
I ain't nobody!
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,540
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 571
Thanked 768 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Yes, congrats Moody...
MoodyBlues likes this.

__________________
Like it is...Yusef Lateef
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saptech For This Useful Post:
MoodyBlues (July 26th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #702 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,334
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 56
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptech View Post
After checking Remember Password it is working.

Thnx.
Thats good, glade I was able to help.
__________________
Please consider joining our IBM World Community Grid team here on Phandroid. Use your Android powered Phone/Tablet to research into finding cures to humanities toughest problems like AIDS, Clean Water, and Green energy! To learn more, please visit: http://androidforums.com/computers/818420-lets-cure-cancer-our-phones.html
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #703 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9to5cynic View Post
Hmm... I think that should work... it might depend on vi/vim/vim-tiny...?

Or I could have messed up the syntax

But q and a letter should start a macro recording, then q again to end it. And 3@a should do the macro assigned to a three times...
I was getting weird results, like the numbers incrementing like this:

1.
6.




I'll give it another look tomorrow.

Quote:
But I'm really getting into vim now.
I still call it vi, and it's been my good friend since 1985!

Quote:
I just got a decent .vimrc file configured for my work comp.
Cool!

Quote:
Edit: Also, I just noticed your guide status - congrats!
That's sweet. Thank you.
__________________
Info on Heartbleed bug; updated with helpful links


MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #704 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptech View Post
Yes, congrats Moody...
Thanks.
MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #705 (permalink)
I ain't nobody!
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,540
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 571
Thanked 768 Times in 612 Posts
Default Slackware Turns 20

One of, if not the oldest surviving distribution still around.

Slackware Turns 20

Linux may not be taking over the world but it's not going anywhere either! The key is to pick the right one for your purposes!
MoodyBlues likes this.
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #706 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,334
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 56
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptech View Post
One of, if not the oldest surviving distribution still around.

Slackware Turns 20

Linux may not be taking over the world but it's not going anywhere either! The key is to pick the right one for your purposes!
I should give this os a try... I never tried it before.
saptech likes this.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sfbloodbrother For This Useful Post:
saptech (July 28th, 2013)
Old July 28th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #707 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbloodbrother View Post
I should give this os a try... I never tried it before.
Slackware has a bad reputation for being very user UNfriendly, but don't let that sway you. As with everything else, some people find things easy and others don't. No one knows how their experience with Slackware [or anything else] will go unless they try it.
saptech likes this.
MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
saptech (July 28th, 2013)
Old July 28th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #708 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

I learned a lot about Linux just installing Slackware... of course, that was a few versions ago.

I have since gotten lazy and all but abandoned the CLI.
saptech likes this.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #709 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I learned a lot about Linux just installing Slackware... of course, that was a few versions ago.
Yep, Slackware definitely comes in handy when it comes to learning about Linux.

Quote:
I have since gotten lazy and all but abandoned the CLI.
Me, too...sort of. I love my beautiful GUIs, I love my desktop cube with its separate faces for each desktop, I love all the whiz-bang visual effects. But, when it comes to getting things done fast and efficiently? I'm always at a prompt. There's just no comparison.
9to5cynic and saptech like this.
MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #710 (permalink)
I ain't nobody!
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,540
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 571
Thanked 768 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I learned a lot about Linux just installing Slackware... of course, that was a few versions ago.

I have since gotten lazy and all but abandoned the CLI.
Same here. I used to love tinkering with linux but as time went on, I started using more GUI friendly distros.

My current distros are Mageia Linux, forked from Mandriva/Mandrake and also a more friendly Slackware version, SalixOS. If anyone is thinking about Slackware but afraid it may be hard to install/use, give Salix a try.
MoodyBlues likes this.
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #711 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
9to5cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: /home/
Posts: 4,858
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (Verizon) Evo 4G - retired/rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,066
Thanked 1,762 Times in 1,189 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 9to5cynic
Default

I'm kinda in the same boat. I use distros with easy guis, but for the most part, I'm just on one terminal full screen with multiple tabs open.
(cmus|vim|vim|less|man|etc.......)

Though, I do use a few gui applications quite regularly, mostly firefox, pdf viewer, and wireshark.

One of these days, I'm gonna get a new computer and be able to get a great linux setup going. I want to dive into arch again.
MoodyBlues likes this.
9to5cynic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #712 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,334
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 56
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9to5cynic View Post
I'm kinda in the same boat. I use distros with easy guis, but for the most part, I'm just on one terminal full screen with multiple tabs open.
(cmus|vim|vim|less|man|etc.......)

Though, I do use a few gui applications quite regularly, mostly firefox, pdf viewer, and wireshark.

One of these days, I'm gonna get a new computer and be able to get a great linux setup going. I want to dive into arch again.
Nice. I don't think I can get far without a GUI.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #713 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

The other day I was looking for info on one thing, and--as so often happens online--ended up stumbling across something totally different, but very interesting. It's a command called dmidecode. If I ever knew about it, I guess I had forgotten, because it didn't even sound familiar.

Here's the first bit of its man page:

Code:
DMIDECODE(8)                                                                                                        

NAME
       dmidecode - DMI table decoder

SYNOPSIS
       dmidecode [OPTIONS]

DESCRIPTION
       dmidecode is a tool for dumping a computer's DMI (some say SMBIOS)
       table contents in a human-readable format. This table contains a
       description of the system's hardware components, as well as other
       useful pieces of information such  as  serial  numbers  and  BIOS
       revision. Thanks to this table, you can retrieve this information
       without having to probe for the actual hardware.  While this is a
       good point in terms of report speed and safeness, this also makes
       the presented information possibly unreliable.

       The DMI table doesn't only describe what the system is currently
       made of, it also can report the possible evolutions (such  as  the
       fastest supported CPU or the maximal amount of memory supported).

       SMBIOS stands for System Management BIOS, while DMI stands for
       Desktop Management Interface. Both standards are tightly related and
       developed by the DMTF (Desktop Management Task Force).

       As you run it, dmidecode will try to locate the DMI table. If it
       succeeds, it will then parse this table  and  display  a  list  of
       records like this one:

       Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 8 bytes.  Base Board Information
               Manufacturer: Intel
               Product Name: C440GX+
               Version: 727281-001
               Serial Number: INCY92700942
Note that it has to be run as root.

It produces an AMAZING array of information about the computer it's run on.
saptech and Joelgp83 like this.
MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
Joelgp83 (August 6th, 2013)
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #714 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

I'll have to check that out once I have a computer again...

Speaking of, I just ordered a new laptop, and will have the"opportunity" to install Mint 15 on an UEFI machine.

That also means I get to experience Windows 8 in all its magnificent glory.
MoodyBlues likes this.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #715 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
The other day I was looking for info on one thing, and--as so often happens online--ended up stumbling across something totally different, but very interesting. It's a command called dmidecode. If I ever knew about it, I guess I had forgotten, because it didn't even sound familiar.

Here's the first bit of its man page:

Code:
DMIDECODE(8)                                                                                                        

NAME
       dmidecode - DMI table decoder

SYNOPSIS
       dmidecode [OPTIONS]

DESCRIPTION
       dmidecode is a tool for dumping a computer's DMI (some say SMBIOS)
       table contents in a human-readable format. This table contains a
       description of the system's hardware components, as well as other
       useful pieces of information such  as  serial  numbers  and  BIOS
       revision. Thanks to this table, you can retrieve this information
       without having to probe for the actual hardware.  While this is a
       good point in terms of report speed and safeness, this also makes
       the presented information possibly unreliable.

       The DMI table doesn't only describe what the system is currently
       made of, it also can report the possible evolutions (such  as  the
       fastest supported CPU or the maximal amount of memory supported).

       SMBIOS stands for System Management BIOS, while DMI stands for
       Desktop Management Interface. Both standards are tightly related and
       developed by the DMTF (Desktop Management Task Force).

       As you run it, dmidecode will try to locate the DMI table. If it
       succeeds, it will then parse this table  and  display  a  list  of
       records like this one:

       Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 8 bytes.  Base Board Information
               Manufacturer: Intel
               Product Name: C440GX+
               Version: 727281-001
               Serial Number: INCY92700942
Note that it has to be run as root.

It produces an AMAZING array of information about the computer it's run on.
Never even heard of it until just now
MoodyBlues likes this.
__________________
Find a post helpful? Hit
See spam or something offensive? Hit
New to the site? Site Rules/Guidelines and Introductions
Not a member yet but want to join? Join here!
Let's cure cancer with our phones
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #716 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I'll have to check that out once I have a computer again...
I think you'll be pleased. I was. I just don't know why I'd never heard of it before.

Quote:
Speaking of, I just ordered a new laptop, and will have the"opportunity" to install Mint 15 on an UEFI machine.
Will you post a followup? I'd love to hear how your experience with UEFI goes.

Quote:
That also means I get to experience Windows 8 in all its magnificent glory.
Right!
MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #717 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
Never even heard of it until just now
I know! Me too. Oh well...
palmtree5 likes this.
MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #718 (permalink)
Member
 
Joelgp83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 369
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail (CM7 beta5)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I'll have to check that out once I have a computer again...

Speaking of, I just ordered a new laptop, and will have the"opportunity" to install Mint 15 on an UEFI machine.

That also means I get to experience Windows 8 in all its magnificent glory.
If it's anything like the UEFI'd HP laptop I recently got, you'll need to know a few things ahead of time.

1.) ABSOLUTELY get the 64bit, UEFI-aware version of whatever Linux distro you want to install, if available. It massively cuts down on headaches.

2.) The UEFI "OS Boot Manager" has complete tunnel vision for windows 8. Grub will NOT show up unless you explicitly hit whatever key is for "select boot device" on startup (F9 on mine), and select your UEFI distro entry -- EVERY TIME!

3.) Some of them support Secure Boot out of the box, others don't, if your distro installs in UEFI mode and still won't boot after selecting it, it probably didn't support it. You'll have to turn it off in the BIOS.

Hope this helps
MoodyBlues likes this.
Joelgp83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joelgp83 For This Useful Post:
Dngrsone (August 8th, 2013), MoodyBlues (August 9th, 2013)
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #719 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelgp83 View Post
Grub will NOT show up unless you explicitly hit whatever key is for "select boot device" on startup (F9 on mine), and select your UEFI distro entry -- EVERY TIME!
Personally, I don't use Grub on my laptop, I use this. Detects installed operating systems and bootable external media with the ability to refresh if you plug something in while on the screen.
MoodyBlues likes this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to palmtree5 For This Useful Post:
Dngrsone (August 8th, 2013)
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #720 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Thanks, Joel. It will certainly be an adventure.

That looks pretty interesting, palmtree... I may have to give that a try.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #721 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Speaking of, I just ordered a new laptop, and will have the"opportunity" to install Mint 15 on an UEFI machine.
Here's a ZDNet article describing one person's experience with that (KDE). It's pretty interesting, and includes this summary:

Quote:
So, to summarize about Linux Mint 15 KDE: if you have a UEFI-boot system, you might want to think carefully before trying it. If you have a normal or legacy boot system, or if you are happy leaving Legacy Boot Support enabled on a UEFI-boot system, then by all means, go for it. Beyond this UEFI-boot issue, the release itself is what we all expect from Linux Mint these days: good, solid, well configured with an excellent range of pre-installed packages and great Mint-specific utilities.
MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #722 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

For me, it was a matter of finding the option to disable Secure Boot (which wasn't particularly easy as it wasn't called that). Once I did that, I didn't have much difficulty
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #723 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Well, this is a Toshiba laptop, so I will start by looking up UEFI on those, and see what I can see.

Provided I can find time to breathe... Dngrswife has me pretty busy right now.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #724 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,758
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 868 Times in 698 Posts
Default

I finally got that dual boot of mine squared away. I upgraded to 12.04LST. Now how do I install a tar.bz file? I happen to want FX and Thunderbird ESR. Those only get security installs. I use them on Windows. Trouble is, they are tar.bz . I can extract, but can't install.

Also, how do you get a different desktop? I don't care for unity. I liked the old menu with a list with titles, like internet, science, office, games. I had 10.10 set up, then went to Mint, and now I can't find the answers again.

One good thing, this time on installing Ubuntu told me which command would do what.

Upgrade, erase 11.04 and install 12.04. Erase everything including the drive with XP.
That made sense. I know which HD is which by MFG. SDA1 tells me nothing,

Thanks

I did look up FX, and the answer was to let FX update normally. They didn't realize there was an ESR version.
__________________
Sent by UFO
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #725 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
9to5cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: /home/
Posts: 4,858
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (Verizon) Evo 4G - retired/rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,066
Thanked 1,762 Times in 1,189 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 9to5cynic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuben el genub View Post
I finally got that dual boot of mine squared away. I upgraded to 12.04LST. Now how do I install a tar.bz file? I happen to want FX and Thunderbird ESR. Those only get security installs. I use them on Windows. Trouble is, they are tar.bz . I can extract, but can't install.

Also, how do you get a different desktop? I don't care for unity. I liked the old menu with a list with titles, like internet, science, office, games. I had 10.10 set up, then went to Mint, and now I can't find the answers again.

One good thing, this time on installing Ubuntu told me which command would do what.

Upgrade, erase 11.04 and install 12.04. Erase everything including the drive with XP.
That made sense. I know which HD is which by MFG. SDA1 tells me nothing,

Thanks

I did look up FX, and the answer was to let FX update normally. They didn't realize there was an ESR version.
Should be able to extract the tar.bz file with something like this:
Code:
tar xfvj file.tar.bz
I *think* rights, but I didn't have a tar.bz to try it on.
MoodyBlues and Dngrsone like this.
9to5cynic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #726 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuben el genub View Post
I finally got that dual boot of mine squared away. I upgraded to 12.04LST. Now how do I install a tar.bz file? I happen to want FX and Thunderbird ESR.
By "FX" are you referring to Firefox? Or something else?

Quote:
Those only get security installs. I use them on Windows. Trouble is, they are tar.bz . I can extract, but can't install.
If it's Firefox, is the compressed file named firefox-23.0.tar.bz2 (or something similar, depending on version)?

If so, I just downloaded it and extracted its contents. There's nothing to install. Simply extract its contents where you want Firefox installed--on my computers, that would be /usr/local/firefox, and that's it. Then you can just run the executable file named firefox.

I didn't actually check, but it's probably the same with Thunderbird.

For readers in general who may not know this, I'll be a little more specific. You extract the compressed file wherever you want, and if that's not the location you ultimately want the files installed, you can move the entire subdirectory it created to where you want. For example, I download everything into /data/downloads; when I uncompressed the file it created a subdirectory named firefox there, i.e., /data/downloads/firefox. To install it in /usr/local, just move the firefox subdirectory over there, i.e., /usr/local/firefox.

Quote:
Also, how do you get a different desktop? I don't care for unity. I liked the old menu with a list with titles, like internet, science, office, games. I had 10.10 set up, then went to Mint, and now I can't find the answers again.
Fire up Synaptic and 'search' for desktop environment and/or specific names, such as kde, xfce, lxde, etc. Install any or all of them. Be sure to grab additional goodies for whichever you're installing, such as kde-icons-crystal or xfce4-artwork (but you can always come back for more later). Apply your choices, then log out.

When you're on the login screen, you'll now have choices besides Unity (yay! I don't like Unity at all!) in a drop-down menu...I can't think of how to explain where it is, but you'll find it. FIRST make your selection, then log in.

Try out the different DEs you installed and see which, if any, you like. (I'm KDE all the way, but occasionally log in with others just for the fun it.) You can uninstall anything you don't like.
mikedt, 9to5cynic and palmtree5 like this.
MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
mikedt (August 10th, 2013), zuben el genub (August 10th, 2013)
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #727 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

There's a table here with the file types and their respective extraction commands
MoodyBlues, 9to5cynic and Dngrsone like this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to palmtree5 For This Useful Post:
Dngrsone (August 9th, 2013)
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #728 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

zuben said:

Quote:
Trouble is, they are tar.bz . I can extract, but can't install.
palmtree5 likes this.
MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
palmtree5 (August 9th, 2013)
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #729 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
zuben said:
Still a good reference. It does help to read before posting
MoodyBlues likes this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #730 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

I have a "six pack" DVD from Linux magazine which carried the main flavors of *buntu at the time. It was a matter of booting it and picking the distro I wanted to try. This was a couple years ago, don't know if they still do that (or if one could fit several flavors on a DVD anymore).

It was a convenient way to try out versions without actually installing stuff.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 10th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #731 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,758
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 868 Times in 698 Posts
Default

Thanks, I'll try that. I like FX ESR. I simply don't like all the crap getting added to browsers to make life easier for the social idiots. (These are the ones that click on ANY popup) I'm tired of editing about:config. ESR only gets security upgrades for its life. 24 should be out in NOV.

I like a plain jane all grey desktop. No animations, no nothing. I do have some icons I like, but they are in ADW for Android under Ubuntu Icons. Having all those large icons on that bar ---- I prefer text.

I've also got to get the Iron browser - then I can delete FX18 and Chrome.

Then get the 300 Epson Perfection working.

I set it up for auto login. I'm the only one who uses it.
MoodyBlues likes this.
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #732 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,758
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 868 Times in 698 Posts
Default

Also a big thank you to the person that explained how to get 11.10 to get Grub right.
I got back into XP. This was back in May or June.
He said sudo update-grub. I had to find the post but I no longer have 11.10 and that's where the bookmark was.

I get busy with other projects which usually have a time limit.
MoodyBlues likes this.
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #733 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
MrGlowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 628
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F3
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 102
Thanked 131 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Hey guys, im REALLY new to ubuntu and linux. Just installed it on my laptop yesterday I just wanted to know if anyone could point me to a guide to set up apkktool or apk multi tool. I'm on 12.04.2 if it matters.Thanks in advance.
MrGlowy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #734 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlowy View Post
Hey guys, im REALLY new to ubuntu and linux. Just installed it on my laptop yesterday I just wanted to know if anyone could point me to a guide to set up apkktool or apk multi tool. I'm on 12.04.2 if it matters.Thanks in advance.
https://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/

The instructions are actually on that page
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #735 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
MrGlowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 628
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F3
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 102
Thanked 131 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
https://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/

The instructions are actually on that page
Ya, but I'm new to Ubuntu. I don't know how to get root permissions.
MrGlowy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #736 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

sudo su
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #737 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
MrGlowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 628
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F3
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 102
Thanked 131 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
sudo su
Ok, thanks.
MrGlowy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #738 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Dammit! This thing is proving as difficult as I thought, if not more so.

I have a Toshiba S55t-A5238 laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled.

I managed to get Mint 15 on, right now I boot into Windows using Secure Boot or, disabling that, Mint. Grub isn't detecting Win.

I installed rEFInd, but that isn't working, yet... I suspect Toshiba is pointing to its own folder at /boot/efi/EFI/Toshiba but haven't tried messing with those files yet.

My biggest problem right now is that Mint is not seeing a wifi module, though I definitely have one in Windows.

So, now I am going to have to crawl through Windows trying to figure out what wifi hardware I have and try to get it working on the Linux side.


This is not the first time I have had to trailblaze Linux through new hardware, but I am not nearly as patient as I used to be...
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #739 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Dammit! This thing is proving as difficult as I thought, if not more so.

I have a Toshiba S55t-A5238 laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled.

I managed to get Mint 15 on, right now I boot into Windows using Secure Boot or, disabling that, Mint. Grub isn't detecting Win.

I installed rEFInd, but that isn't working, yet... I suspect Toshiba is pointing to its own folder at /boot/efi/EFI/Toshiba but haven't tried messing with those files yet.

My biggest problem right now is that Mint is not seeing a wifi module, though I definitely have one in Windows.

So, now I am going to have to crawl through Windows trying to figure out what wifi hardware I have and try to get it working on the Linux side.


This is not the first time I have had to trailblaze Linux through new hardware, but I am not nearly as patient as I used to be...
What wireless card? Also, it sounds like you are able to boot into Mint but rEFInd isn't working. How are you booting?
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #740 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

It's a Realtek RTL8188E. I found a bug-report on it, basically saying it isn't supported by Ubuntu. There is a fix-- Linux kernel 3.10 and up supports it, so I will have to manually upgrade my kernel to the stable 3.10.

If I disable secure boot then Mint boots up. If it is enabled, then Windows 8 boots.

I installed rEFUnd, but the laptop UEFI ignores it. If I replace the boot_x86.efi file under /efi/EFI/Boot directory, then secure boot has a conniption (if enabled).

I am thinking that there is a battle of bootloaders going on here and that Toshiba is rigging the fight. There is a /toshiba folder in there, so I may try putting the rEFInd bootloader in that directory, replacing one or both of the ones in there.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #741 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

Out of curiosity, how did you install rEFInd? In my case, it was in my distro's repositories. I don't currently use Mint so I'm not really sure if it's there
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #742 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Mint is a fork of ubuntu which is Debian-based, so I used the Debian installer package.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #743 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

Ok, gotcha

Can you launch an EFI shell at all?

If you can, give me a rough idea of the output of the following command (run in the EFI shell):

[HIGH]bcfg boot dump -v[/HIGH]

As for your wireless card, Realtek seems to have drivers on their website for your card
palmtree5 is online now  
Last edited by palmtree5; August 14th, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #744 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

How do I launch an EFI shell?


I installed kernel 3.10_am64 and got my drivers that way... tried 3.10.6 initially, but ended up breaking things, so I uninstalled and went for 3.10 instead and I am running on wifi now. DHCP (automatic didn't work out too well... setting a manual IP did, and that is fine by me.

For the record, I went to the repository Index of /~kernel-ppa/mainline, surfed to the folder I wanted, and downloaded to a folder (labeled /kernel 3.10) the following files:

linux-headers-3.10.0-031000_3.10.0-031000.201306301935_all.deb
linux-headers-3.10.0-031000-generic_3.10.0-031000.201306301935_amd64.deb
linux-image-3.10.0-031000-generic_3.10.0-031000.201306301935_amd64.deb

I then opened a terminal, typed in the following:

Code:
cd Downloads
cd "kernel 3.10"
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
sudo update-grub
sudo reboot
After rebooting, I got a notification telling me wifi was available.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #745 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

Put this in the directory you have the EFI system partiton mounted to. Enter your computer setup utility and somewhere there should be an option for "Launch EFI shell from filesystem device" so choose that. That should launch a shell. After that, type the appropriate thing (in my case, it's FS0: ) and press enter. Then do the command I mentioned before
MoodyBlues likes this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #746 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,779
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 925
Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts
Default

I'm so out of the loop! All this EFI and rEFInd talk is foreign to me.
palmtree5 and Dngrsone like this.
MoodyBlues is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #747 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
I'm so out of the loop! All this EFI and rEFInd talk is foreign to me.
You'll probably learn the next time you buy a new PC...
MoodyBlues and Dngrsone like this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #748 (permalink)
Member
 
Joelgp83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 369
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail (CM7 beta5)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuben el genub View Post
Also a big thank you to the person that explained how to get 11.10 to get Grub right.
I got back into XP. This was back in May or June.
He said sudo update-grub. I had to find the post but I no longer have 11.10 and that's where the bookmark was.

I get busy with other projects which usually have a time limit.
Err...I think that was me.
Joelgp83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #749 (permalink)
Member
 
Joelgp83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 369
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail (CM7 beta5)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
It's a Realtek RTL8188E. I found a bug-report on it, basically saying it isn't supported by Ubuntu. There is a fix-- Linux kernel 3.10 and up supports it, so I will have to manually upgrade my kernel to the stable 3.10.

If I disable secure boot then Mint boots up. If it is enabled, then Windows 8 boots.

I installed rEFUnd, but the laptop UEFI ignores it. If I replace the boot_x86.efi file under /efi/EFI/Boot directory, then secure boot has a conniption (if enabled).

I am thinking that there is a battle of bootloaders going on here and that Toshiba is rigging the fight. There is a /toshiba folder in there, so I may try putting the rEFInd bootloader in that directory, replacing one or both of the ones in there.
Ok, calm down. I happen to have experience dealing with both the grub-failing-to-launch-Win8 AND the wireless card not being detected.

What's happening is grub is detecting the Win8 install, but incorrectly assumes the bootloader code is on the Win8 partition. It is not, Grub needs to chainload to the Win8 entry in the EFI partition (sda2 on my rig).

The RTL8188E detection fail is indeed a bug with ubuntu, it even occurs in the latest 13.04 updates.

To solve both issues, you can install the latest Ubuntu 13.10 Pre-Release

Seriously. The RTL8188E driver support is back, you should now have a 3.11 kernel come stock with it, AND its version of GRUB will correctly find the Win8 bootloader on the EFI partition.

How to get there from here? Start with installing the 64bit Ubuntu 13.04. Wireless won't be available, so grab an ethernet cable and jack in. Open a terminal and run:

Code:
sudo update-manager -d
That will trigger Ubuntu's normal update process, but the -d flag will tell it to probe for pre-release versions to upgrade to. Don't worry if it only finds regular updates, or says it can't find anything. Run those and then run the command again. Eventually, it'll find it and prompt you for the upgrade. Do it. It'll take approximately 30min - 1 hour to install.

Upon completion, you'll have rebooted into a proper EFI-aware grub and can launch win8. Ubuntu will have proper support for your wireless, and you can probably install gnome-classic or kde or something to replace unity if you so desire.
Joelgp83 is online now  
Last edited by Joelgp83; August 15th, 2013 at 02:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joelgp83 For This Useful Post:
9to5cynic (August 15th, 2013)
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #750 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,459 Times in 753 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelgp83 View Post
Ok, calm down. I happen to have experience dealing with both the grub-failing-to-launch-Win8 AND the wireless card not being detected.

What's happening is grub is detecting the Win8 install, but incorrectly assumes the bootloader code is on the Win8 partition. It is not, Grub needs to chainload to the Win8 entry in the EFI partition (sda2 on my rig).

The RTL8188E detection fail is indeed a bug with ubuntu, it even occurs in the latest 13.04 updates.

To solve both issues, you can install the latest Ubuntu 13.10 Pre-Release

Seriously. The RTL8188E driver support is back, you should now have a 3.11 kernel come stock with it, AND its version of GRUB will correctly find the Win8 bootloader on the EFI partition.

How to get there from here? Start with installing the 64bit Ubuntu 13.04. Wireless won't be available, so grab an ethernet cable and jack in. Open a terminal and run:

Code:
sudo update-manager -d
That will trigger Ubuntu's normal update process, but the -d flag will tell it to probe for pre-release versions to upgrade to. Don't worry if it only finds regular updates, or says it can't find anything. Run those and then run the command again. Eventually, it'll find it and prompt you for the upgrade. Do it. It'll take approximately 30min - 1 hour to install.

Upon completion, you'll have rebooted into a proper EFI-aware grub and can launch win8. Ubuntu will have proper support for your wireless, and you can probably install gnome-classic or kde or something to replace unity if you so desire.
He's running Mint...
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
bash, bash script, bash shell, linux, linux questions, linux scripting


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Computers & IT
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.