Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > Computers & IT

New Forums: Nexus 6 | Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree1226Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #951 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

So, I've migrated to Ubuntu and for whatever reason, GParted is refusing to allow me to move partitions around (as in relocate them) even from a live CD. Problem is, my root partition for Ubuntu is literally the LAST partition on the drive. There is nothing after it, not even free space.

Suggestions?

Oh, here's my current layout:

Code:
sda1   8:1    0   512M       0    part    /boot/efi
sda2   8:2    0   240G       0    part 
sda4   8:4    0   8G         0    part    [SWAP]
sda5   8:5    0   400.1G     0    part    /data
sda6   8:6    0   50G        0    part    /
As you can see, it's a mess

Advertisements
__________________
Find a post helpful? Hit
See spam or something offensive? Hit
New to the site? Site Rules/Guidelines and Introductions
Not a member yet but want to join? Join here!
Want to chat with staff?Here
Want to chat with mods?Here
palmtree5 is online now  
Last edited by palmtree5; September 19th, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #952 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Wow... that is pretty ugly.

Try GNUParted, see if you can do something with that.

It may be that you need some spare space on the drive to move partitions around; particularly if you don't have a lot of RAM.
palmtree5 likes this.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #953 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

It's currently moving around, although I had to pull the contents of my home folder out and zap the old root and the new root (I was attempting to use cp -a /path/to/old/* /path/to/new but it didn't work properly). Supposedly gonna be a little over 2 and a half hours till that finishes.

Then there's the fun and exciting process of reinstalling Ubuntu

FWIW, I have 8 gigs of RAM
palmtree5 is online now  
Last edited by palmtree5; September 19th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #954 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

I also just realized my script problem from earlier this week may have been fixable by looking at the OP...
MoodyBlues likes this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #955 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
I also just realized my script problem from earlier this week may have been fixable by looking at the OP...


I actually thought about that, i.e., simply getting rid of the annoying spaces in file names, but I like what we did better. It was fun, and it was a good collaborative effort--AND, it gave my four remaining functioning brain cells a really good workout.
palmtree5 and Dngrsone like this.
__________________


MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #956 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 sim free, Acer Iconia A200
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbanjo View Post
I had a "fun" with an init scripts for my Raspberry Pi and in the end resorted to killall to terminate the program. The XPL Hub I'm using starts a couple of new processes and then exits so the pid you grab is for a process that has already closed.
I've been setting up a new (OpenSuse) PC to handle my various network tasks. It also needs the XPL hub. I thought I'd try a systemd service file . I've not used one before but I was pleasantly surprised. All I needed was:

Code:
[Unit]
Description=XPL Hub
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/home/jon/jfhome/xPLLib/examples/xPL_Hub
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
MoodyBlues likes this.
jonbanjo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #957 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbanjo View Post
I've been setting up a new (OpenSuse) PC to handle my various network tasks. It also needs the XPL hub. I thought I'd try a systemd service file . I've not used one before but I was pleasantly surprised. All I needed was:

Code:
[Unit]
Description=XPL Hub
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/home/jon/jfhome/xPLLib/examples/xPL_Hub
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Yes, systemd service files are very simple
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #958 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
It's currently moving around, although I had to pull the contents of my home folder out and zap the old root and the new root (I was attempting to use cp -a /path/to/old/* /path/to/new but it didn't work properly). Supposedly gonna be a little over 2 and a half hours till that finishes.

Then there's the fun and exciting process of reinstalling Ubuntu

FWIW, I have 8 gigs of RAM
Is it all worked out now? I have to admit, I was confused last night when I first read your configuration. I wasn't sure what you meant about MOVING the partitions around. Let us know if it's all sorted out and things are running smoothly now, okay?
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #959 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Yeah, it's all worked out now. The big issue was the 240 GB of free space was at the beginning of the drive (well, after the EFI System Partition) and the root partition for Ubuntu was the last partition on the drive (and was only 50 GB)
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #960 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
Yeah, it's all worked out now. The big issue was the 240 GB of free space was at the beginning of the drive (well, after the EFI System Partition) and the root partition for Ubuntu was the last partition on the drive (and was only 50 GB)
But, how did it GET that way? I mean--and this is my experience I'm basing this on--when I do an install I divide and format the disk per my preferences. So root and all my other partitions are where I put them.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
Dngrsone (September 20th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #961 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

It was my one free partition when I went to install Ubuntu earlier this week

EDIT: I was dual-booting with Arch at the time but I decided to make the jump to Ubuntu
MoodyBlues likes this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #962 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
But, how did it GET that way? I mean--and this is my experience I'm basing this on--when I do an install I divide and format the disk per my preferences. So root and all my other partitions are where I put them.
Same here. Out of habit, I always put the swap at the very end of the drive, and have separate root and home folders. I think I am rocking 100GB partitions right now on my 2TB drive.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #963 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Same here. Out of habit, I always put the swap at the very end of the drive, and have separate root and home folders.
Same here with swap always going last. Here's my standard partitioning scheme:

Code:
/
/home
/data
[swap space]
All of my computers are all Linux, i.e., no dual-booting any...*cough*...other OS. But not other Linux distros either, just one hard drive, one OS.

Quote:
I think I am rocking 100GB partitions right now on my 2TB drive.
You're giving me hard drive envy!
saptech and Dngrsone like this.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #964 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Same here with swap always going last. Here's my standard partitioning scheme:

Code:
/
/home
/data
[swap space]
All of my computers are all Linux, i.e., no dual-booting any...*cough*...other OS. But not other Linux distros either, just one hard drive, one OS.


You're giving me hard drive envy!
Oh, well I am more or less forced to multiboot-- I need Win for certain programs that don't work well (or at all) on Linux, and every year or so I install a new distro or version to try out.

That way my main OS is safe and secure from accidents resulting from upgrades or experimental add-ons.

As for the HDD, I had to pay dearly for that.

... for the record, my Data drive sits ahead of my root drive because it is shared between Windows 8 and Mint (NTFS).
MoodyBlues likes this.
Dngrsone is online now  
Last edited by Dngrsone; September 21st, 2013 at 06:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM   #965 (permalink)
Resident Linux Nutcase
 
Prinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,603
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 662
Thanked 1,067 Times in 741 Posts
Default

Hey Moody,

Question.

After I return from work today, I'm going to install Linux for a dual boot. The purpose is to just copy files easily since I lack external storage. Can gparted erase the windows partition without any problems with GRUB or anything like that afterwards? I've never tried anything like that before, so I wanted to ask.
__________________
Want to brighten my day? Feel free to donate
Prinny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:06 AM   #966 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 4,234
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Convoy 3, Galaxy Tab 3, Tab 4, Note 10
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 98
Thanked 650 Times in 519 Posts
Default

I have a question:

I just installed ChrUbuntu (Chromebook Ubuntu, running 12.04 LTS) and from time to time it just freezes up and gets extremely unresponsive. i only have Chrome open during that time. the only way to fix it is to force a logout of the user and log back in. somehow i don't believe 'Linux' and 'Out of Memory' belong in the same sentence. nothing bad appears to run when i do a 'top' in a terminal. does Ubuntu not play well with SSDs?

Seems i can reproduce the freeze. the magic number is having four or more tabs open in chrome. but why does it happen?
__________________
"If you treat your system like a kiln, don't be surprised when a brick comes out the other side."
nickdalzell is offline  
Last edited by nickdalzell; September 21st, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:40 AM   #967 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 sim free, Acer Iconia A200
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
So, trying Manual, it says to enter "IP address or UNC path." Nothing I've tried entering there has worked. The IP address of the computer that has the printer attached is 192.168.1.103. No, doesn't work. I tried "ipp://192.168.1.103:631/printers/Deskjet-F4100-series"--which is this printer's entry in my printer configuration settings on all my computers that access that printer remotely. Nope. That doesn't work either. I've tried variations, such as the computer's name and share name...nothing works. All I get is "Printer not found."
Wondering if you got this one sorted.

One other thing you can try when you are left to guess like that is http:// instead of ipp:// (clients make http POSTs to IPP servers with the mime type application/ipp).
jonbanjo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:38 PM   #968 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Hey Moody,
Sorry for the delay, but I've been out of pocket today for the most part. Hadn't even TOUCHED my laptop until right now! My brother-in-law is visiting, and we've just been busy. I logged in for a little while this afternoon on my phone, and realized I don't normally do that for a reason: I CAN'T SEE!! Even posted a reply. (Now I need to check it for typos. )

Anyway...

Quote:
Question.

After I return from work today, I'm going to install Linux for a dual boot. The purpose is to just copy files easily since I lack external storage. Can gparted erase the windows partition without any problems with GRUB or anything like that afterwards? I've never tried anything like that before, so I wanted to ask.
It's been a number of years since I did that, as I don't normally have dual-boot machines. In my situation--and ONLY if I remember correctly--I had a window$ partition and a Linux partition, and I wiped the window$ partition using Linux. I'm way too fuzzy right now to say for sure what/how I did this. I probably used gParted, deleted the partition(?), recreated it, formatted it...I'm sorry, I really just cannot recall exactly. I know I was using GRUB, and I know I ended up with an additional partition for Linux, but I do not recall if there were any issues or if there was anything special I had to do when booting up. Can someone else chime in please?
Prinny likes this.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
Prinny (September 21st, 2013)
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:41 PM   #969 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbanjo View Post
Wondering if you got this one sorted.
No. I gave up! It was purely on a whim that I decided I wanted to be able to print from my phone, so when it didn't work easily I gave up.

Quote:
One other thing you can try when you are left to guess like that is http:// instead of ipp:// (clients make http POSTs to IPP servers with the mime type application/ipp).
I did. I tried http but it didn't work either.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM   #970 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

So, I just attempted to use my laptop's built in SD card reader and it doesn't work. I've been Googling and trying things but to no avail

Some output follows.

From lspci -nnk:

Code:
03:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:5289] (rev 01)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:1457]
	Kernel driver in use: rtsx_pci
From dmesg:

Code:
[  348.037884] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  349.336879] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  350.639838] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:32 PM   #971 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
So, I just attempted to use my laptop's built in SD card reader and it doesn't work. I've been Googling and trying things but to no avail

Some output follows.

From lspci -nnk:

Code:
03:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:5289] (rev 01)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:1457]
	Kernel driver in use: rtsx_pci
From dmesg:

Code:
[  348.037884] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  349.336879] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[  350.639838] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
I've never seen this myself, so I let my friend Google step in. This page discusses this particular bug, and starting at reply #7 it looks hopeful in terms of fixing the problem. You want to check it out and see if it gets you anywhere--and then, if not, let us know so we can move on with plan B.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:16 PM   #972 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

I actually already tried that and it didn't work. FWIW this piece of hardware was working on Arch so possibly upgrading to the mainline kernel (which another reply in that bug report mentioned) could fix it

EDIT: Gonna roll my own kernel and build it myself

This should be fun...
MoodyBlues likes this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Last edited by palmtree5; September 23rd, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #973 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

UPDATE: The particular piece of hardware in question is working on the self-built kernel (3.12.0-rc2). Thus, it's probably a lack of support in the "official" kernel used by Ubuntu

Out of curiosity, what was plan B?
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:01 PM   #974 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 4,234
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Convoy 3, Galaxy Tab 3, Tab 4, Note 10
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 98
Thanked 650 Times in 519 Posts
Default

is Linux these days trying to be Windows? i just had to search high and low to disable two annoyances i thought were part of Windows. Ubuntu has this Dr.Watson type utility known as 'apport' that locked my machine solid as a rock because it 'thought' a program crashed (it didn't but since it was acting slow it 'thought' it was and tried closing it). the second is a Windows Update type tool that not only arbritarily pops up at the worst possible moment to try and update things without my permission and once even restarted my machine on its own

taking lessons from Microsoft, Ubuntu?! listen i tell my computer what i want it to do. i will not tolerate it doing things on its own! the last thing i want is to be in the middle of a movie and BAM! my machine restarts.
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:09 PM   #975 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
is Linux these days trying to be Windows? i just had to search high and low to disable two annoyances i thought were part of Windows. Ubuntu has this Dr.Watson type utility known as 'apport' that locked my machine solid as a rock because it 'thought' a program crashed (it didn't but since it was acting slow it 'thought' it was and tried closing it). the second is a Windows Update type tool that not only arbritarily pops up at the worst possible moment to try and update things without my permission and once even restarted my machine on its own

taking lessons from Microsoft, Ubuntu?! listen i tell my computer what i want it to do. i will not tolerate it doing things on its own! the last thing i want is to be in the middle of a movie and BAM! my machine restarts.
What version of Ubuntu are you on?
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:28 PM   #976 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
is Linux these days trying to be Windows? i just had to search high and low to disable two annoyances i thought were part of Windows. Ubuntu has this Dr.Watson type utility known as 'apport' that locked my machine solid as a rock because it 'thought' a program crashed (it didn't but since it was acting slow it 'thought' it was and tried closing it). the second is a Windows Update type tool that not only arbritarily pops up at the worst possible moment to try and update things without my permission and once even restarted my machine on its own

taking lessons from Microsoft, Ubuntu?! listen i tell my computer what i want it to do. i will not tolerate it doing things on its own! the last thing i want is to be in the middle of a movie and BAM! my machine restarts.
Another reason why I moved to Mint.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:44 PM   #977 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
UPDATE: The particular piece of hardware in question is working on the self-built kernel (3.12.0-rc2). Thus, it's probably a lack of support in the "official" kernel used by Ubuntu
Hmmmm...okay.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what was plan B?
Beats me! I never know what plan B is until I have to come up with one!
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:53 PM   #978 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
is Linux these days trying to be Windows? i just had to search high and low to disable two annoyances i thought were part of Windows. Ubuntu has this Dr.Watson type utility known as 'apport' that locked my machine solid as a rock because it 'thought' a program crashed (it didn't but since it was acting slow it 'thought' it was and tried closing it). the second is a Windows Update type tool that not only arbritarily pops up at the worst possible moment to try and update things without my permission and once even restarted my machine on its own
In the nine years I've been using *buntu, I have yet to see ANY of these problems. A machine that reboots on its own?! Never! So it must be a matter of settings.

Quote:
taking lessons from Microsoft, Ubuntu?!
No, of course not. You're in full control, hence it's nothing like m$.

Quote:
listen i tell my computer what i want it to do. i will not tolerate it doing things on its own! the last thing i want is to be in the middle of a movie and BAM! my machine restarts.
Settings, Nick. Check your settings.
9to5cynic and palmtree5 like this.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:32 PM   #979 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 4,234
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Convoy 3, Galaxy Tab 3, Tab 4, Note 10
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 98
Thanked 650 Times in 519 Posts
Default

yeah i had to do an extensive Google search to disable apport (the Ubuntu equivilant to Windows Problem Reports/Solutions) and Update Manager (same thing as Windows Update) and landed on many forums where they just say 'don't do that, it's for your own good'. well....no..just no..

Yeah, in Ubuntu 12.04 it does initiate an auto reboot if it's an extensive update of something. unfortunately, if you're in the middle of a movie, you won't see the little pop-up saying it's going to reboot in 9, 8, 7,6....the dialog is a lot like the shutdown dialog if you tap the power button. it waits a few seconds offering a 'cancel' option but only if you see the thing.

Apport tried to come up once saying Chrome has crashed when in reality it was just a bit slower than normal (and it was still running and responding a bit in the background). eventually apport would not go away and then i got stuck with a circle waiting cursor (i suppose ubuntu's take on the Mac OS spinning beachball of death?) and had to force reboot it.

just a little over an hour ago, just before i posted the first comment about it, update manager decided to rear its ugly head and try updating software without asking me and i was in the middle of watching a youtube video, and had four other tabs open. it froze again. i hate automatic anything. why is this enabled default? people who use Linux don't need their hand held as in Windows!
nickdalzell is offline  
Last edited by nickdalzell; September 23rd, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:57 PM   #980 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Ubuntu thinks that they are the Linux solution to Windows, though, and assumes that many users are just not that savvy
MoodyBlues likes this.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #981 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Where, oh where, should I start?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
yeah i had to do an extensive Google search to disable apport (the Ubuntu equivilant to Windows Problem Reports/Solutions) and Update Manager (same thing as Windows Update) and landed on many forums where they just say 'don't do that, it's for your own good'.
That's because a lot of window$ converts are known to use *buntu variants, and the self-appointed *buntu know-it-alls think the converts need that kind of hand holding. Have you ever heard me mention how I used to get admonished on Ubuntu forums that even TALKING about enabling root logins was a big no-no? Ha!

Quote:
well....no..just no..
Agreed.

Quote:
Yeah, in Ubuntu 12.04 it does initiate an auto reboot if it's an extensive update of something.
No, it doesn't. Not on *MY* 12.04. Check those settings...

Quote:
unfortunately, if you're in the middle of a movie, you won't see the little pop-up saying it's going to reboot in 9, 8, 7,6....the dialog is a lot like the shutdown dialog if you tap the power button.
That's not how my reboots work. Because I don't want them to. When I say restart I mean NOW!! Settings, Nick, settings.

Quote:
it waits a few seconds offering a 'cancel' option but only if you see the thing.
Settings...

Quote:
Apport tried to come up once saying Chrome has crashed when in reality it was just a bit slower than normal (and it was still running and responding a bit in the background). eventually apport would not go away and then i got stuck with a circle waiting cursor (i suppose ubuntu's take on the Mac OS spinning beachball of death?) and had to force reboot it.
Never seen it...

Quote:
just a little over an hour ago, just before i posted the first comment about it, update manager decided to rear its ugly head and try updating software without asking me and i was in the middle of watching a youtube video, and had four other tabs open. it froze again. i hate automatic anything. why is this enabled default? people who use Linux don't need their hand held as in Windows!
Settings...
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #982 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Where, oh where, should I start?!


That's because a lot of window$ converts are known to use *buntu variants, and the self-appointed *buntu know-it-alls think the converts need that kind of hand holding. Have you ever heard me mention how I used to get admonished on Ubuntu forums that even TALKING about enabling root logins was a big no-no? Ha!


Agreed.


No, it doesn't. Not on *MY* 12.04. Check those settings...


That's not how my reboots work. Because I don't want them to. When I say restart I mean NOW!! Settings, Nick, settings.


Settings...


Never seen it...


Settings...
tl;dr SETTINGS
MoodyBlues, 9to5cynic and Dngrsone like this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to palmtree5 For This Useful Post:
MoodyBlues (September 24th, 2013)
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #983 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 4,234
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Convoy 3, Galaxy Tab 3, Tab 4, Note 10
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 98
Thanked 650 Times in 519 Posts
Default

i have already disabled the crap. but it took terminal hacks. have you seen 'settings' in Unity? there are none. only dumbed down stuff like desktop background, power, users, think Windows control panel without classic icon view.

Disabling apport:

sudo service apport stop

then there's some command involving gedit to disable it permenantly

as for Update Manager, i needed to actually run that app and turn it off.

now i just got the Google Chrome problem where i need to disable the stupid 'page(s) unresponsive' garbage that forces chrome to kill two or more of my open tabs forcing me to reload them again. i am not sure about you guys/gals but i'm even more annoyed at Google's attempt at humor lately (i hated Aw, Snap! and i hate He's Dead, jim!' even more.) i'll close tabs when i feel like it. any about:config/dev mode options in Chrome?
nickdalzell is offline  
Last edited by nickdalzell; September 24th, 2013 at 07:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #984 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Here's one for the funny papers... I can't get Mint to connect to the college Wi-Fi network. Win 8 connects just fine.

I went into the tech support office, and apparently no one does Linux.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #985 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Here's one for the funny papers... I can't get Mint to connect to the college Wi-Fi network. Win 8 connects just fine.

I went into the tech support office, and apparently no one does Linux.
Is it one that you have to log in with your username and password when you connect?
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #986 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: /home/LosAngeles
Posts: 3,342
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1,100
Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i have already disabled the crap. but it took terminal hacks.
Interesting.

Quote:
have you seen 'settings' in Unity?
Not lately. I don't do Unity. KDE all the way for me.

Quote:
there are none. only dumbed down stuff like desktop background, power, users, think Windows control panel without classic icon view.
My [unhappy] memories of dealing with window$ have faded enough that I have no idea what that would look like.

Quote:
Disabling apport:

sudo service apport stop

then there's some command involving gedit to disable it permenantly
Just FYI, it's not that it required gEdit, it required a text editor. Any editor, including mine of choice, vi, would accomplish this.

Quote:
as for Update Manager, i needed to actually run that app and turn it off.

now i just got the Google Chrome problem where i need to disable the stupid 'page(s) unresponsive' garbage that forces chrome to kill two or more of my open tabs forcing me to reload them again. i am not sure about you guys/gals but i'm even more annoyed at Google's attempt at humor lately (i hated Aw, Snap! and i hate He's Dead, jim!' even more.) i'll close tabs when i feel like it. any about:config/dev mode options in Chrome?
In general, I've literally never seen any of the issues you've described. I don't know what it is about your luck, but good grief. My *nix just works the way I want, as do my browsers. So I don't know...
saptech likes this.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #987 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
Is it one that you have to log in with your username and password when you connect?
Yes. It uses WPA-Enterprise, EAP, as I recall... the Linux network manager wants a certificate, I think that is where the problem is; but it'd the college won't provide me with a cert...
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #988 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Yes. It uses WPA-Enterprise, EAP, as I recall... the Linux network manager wants a certificate, I think that is where the problem is; but it'd the college won't provide me with a cert...
Choose PEAP for authentication and you should have the option to provide a username and password
MoodyBlues likes this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to palmtree5 For This Useful Post:
Dngrsone (September 24th, 2013)
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #989 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
Choose PEAP for authentication and you should have the option to provide a username and password
Pretty sure I tried PEAP, but I will try that out at my next opportunity.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #990 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,686
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 612
Thanked 799 Times in 638 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
is Linux these days trying to be Windows
No linux is not but Ubuntu is trying very hard! It is not for everybody. According to Distrowatch, Ubuntu is loosing it's mojo!
__________________
"I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked" - Jimi Hendrix
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #991 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptech View Post
No linux is not but Ubuntu is trying very hard! It is not for everybody. According to Distrowatch, Ubuntu is loosing it's mojo!
Ubuntu just happens to be the first Linux distro most people coming from Windows start off on. Thus it kinda seems to make sense (to me anyway) why it is like that. Doesn't mean I agree though
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #992 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,686
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 612
Thanked 799 Times in 638 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
Ubuntu just happens to be the first Linux distro most people coming from Windows start off on. Thus it kinda seems to make sense (to me anyway) why it is like that. Doesn't mean I agree though
In Ubuntu's early days it was the goto distro, but and it's my opinion, its moving more & more away from the linux philosophy!
Dngrsone likes this.
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saptech For This Useful Post:
Dngrsone (September 24th, 2013)
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #993 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptech View Post
In Ubuntu's early days it was the goto distro, but and it's my opinion, its moving more & more away from the linux philosophy!
I agree wholeheartedly.

Unity started the ball rolling.

It isn't that Unity was so terrible an interface (it's basically an integrated Docky), it's that it was introduced too early and made part of an LTS distribution before it was ready for Prime Time.

The waffling from Rhythmbox to Banshee and back certainly didn't help any, either.
saptech likes this.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #994 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,686
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 612
Thanked 799 Times in 638 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.

Unity started the ball rolling.

It isn't that Unity was so terrible an interface (it's basically an integrated Docky), it's that it was introduced too early and made part of an LTS distribution before it was ready for Prime Time.

The waffling from Rhythmbox to Banshee and back certainly didn't help any, either.
I did try Unity earlier this year, it came preinstalled on a refurbished machine I bought. I actually liked it, which I kept for about 3 months or so before installing a different distro. I had also been trying out Gnome 3 before trying Unity, so that may have prepared me for it!
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #995 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,927
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

So, out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite distro?
saptech likes this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #996 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
9to5cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: /home/
Posts: 4,858
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (Verizon) Evo 4G - retired/rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,066
Thanked 1,763 Times in 1,189 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 9to5cynic
Default

@palm - mine is probably Debian. I think I used debian the longest with a single install before curiosity won over. It's just great. Pure gnome 2, simple apps, stable as all get out. I also really like the idea and philosophy behind Arch, but without having a reliable internet connection, it just isn't too practical for me all the time.
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Yes. It uses WPA-Enterprise, EAP, as I recall... the Linux network manager wants a certificate, I think that is where the problem is; but it'd the college won't provide me with a cert...
Just from the settings you've listed, I'd bet it's either Kerberos or Radius...

It almost sounds like the tech didn't understand what you wanted (or doesn't understand PKI). You may be able to get the cert from the win8 box though? I'm not really sure - it isn't something I've tried.


---
and @nick - man, you are always having problems with ubuntu

---
on my end, I'm hoping to install crouton (a special chroot environment) on my chromebook one of these days - next time I get to a place with some fast internet. If I've read the documentation properly (which I probably didn't) I should be able to get a few instances (even with GUIs) up and running - all from within chromeos. I'd like to get a working arch instance up on an SD card along with Kali.
9to5cynic is offline  
Last edited by 9to5cynic; September 24th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #997 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Currently, I am rocking the Mint 15.

Still *buntu, but slightly more behaved. Cinnamon is still a newish desktop manager, but I like it.

I am looking forward to finding a utility that allows me to mess about with the themes a bit, an I would still like to have a different wallpaper on each desktop (sorry, Moody, but I can't stand KDE), but otherwise, I am perfectly content with this install.
Dngrsone is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #998 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 4,234
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Convoy 3, Galaxy Tab 3, Tab 4, Note 10
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 98
Thanked 650 Times in 519 Posts
Default

ChrUbuntu is currently the only distro available for a Chromebook laptop. I have Kubuntu running on my Toshiba Dev machine, and still Windows 8 on my gaming laptop (all the games running on it require Windows--they ran in linux but very poorly and lacked acceleration and anti-aliasing) Currently the only playable games running in Linux are steam games and Wine-enabled games like Star Trek Online and Rigs of Rods. those two play pretty well but i still had to skimp on graphics. too high and it performs like a 486SX

the rest is Android which is sorta Linux.

i don't hate Unity so much, it kinda reminds me of Mac OS X. i don't like how the dock is locked on the left side taking up screen space when i'd want it on the bottom like a taskbar but that's about it. perhaps it's just the distro i'm using that has all that noob stuff turned on by default.
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #999 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 168
Thanked 349 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9to5cynic View Post
Just from the settings you've listed, I'd bet it's either Kerberos or Radius...

It almost sounds like the tech didn't understand what you wanted (or doesn't understand PKI). You may be able to get the cert from the win8 box though? I'm not really sure - it isn't something I've tried.
I went into the Tech Support center and told them, "I have a Linux laptop and it can't connect to the campus wifi."

The girl told me that the network was up, and the other woman told her it might because I was using Linux (duh). So the girl went into the back and started asking around.

After about five minutes, she returned, shaking her head. "I'm sorry, nobody here seems to be familiar with Linux."



I did a lot of research into the .desktop files to customize the Unity bar. I created a half-dozen different files for Unity, so that I could have several Firefox instances open at the same time (each with a different profile) and each instance would be associated with its custom icon on the Unity bar.. Luckily, some of that work is also usable in Cinnamon, which is cool.
Dngrsone is online now  
Last edited by Dngrsone; September 24th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #1000 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,686
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 612
Thanked 799 Times in 638 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
So, out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite distro?
Mageia & Salix.
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
bash, bash script, bash shell, linux, linux questions, linux scripting


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > Computers & IT
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.