Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Computers & IT

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree30Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default I Finally Tried out a Chromebook and...

Today I finally tried out a Chromebook at Best Buy, and I have to say, I am a bit disappointed. Now for starters, I only tried out the Samsung Chromebook, not the HP, or Acer Chromebook.
Upon touching the device, to me, it felt cheep as to compared to my $350.00 Gateway laptop that is 2-3 years old now. I know its made of plastic and all, and is suppose to be like that because of cost, but its just I don't know, to me in my opinion, I don't like the design, but it is something that I can deal with.

Using the device, was not as great as I had expected. It was slower than my Gateway laptop, which is the reason I am looking for another laptop, to get a speed boost, and to have something that I can take places, (Because this is really my grandma's laptop, and I doubt that she will let me take this to school, so that is the reason that I am looking for my own laptop to take to school)

The laptop may have been slow because it was at best buy, and there are a lot of other computers on the same wireless connection, and that may had slowed it down, but to me, it was not good.
Due to its slowness, which I believe that its just the slow Exynos Processor an ARM chip, instead of a x86 processor.

I know that there are new Chromebooks from HP and Acer that are coming out November 3, and for $50 more at $300 I can get a bigger screen, more battery life, and a dual core Celeron "Haswell" processor - Which is actually rumored to be really fast. Sooooo, Though I didn't like the Samsung Chromebook, I may like the new HP one, or the Acer one. I'm not giving up on them, just this one wasn't for me, and I'll wait for something a bit faster.
MoodyBlues and saptech like this.

__________________
Please consider joining our IBM World Community Grid team here on Phandroid. Use your Android powered Phone/Tablet to research into finding cures to humanities toughest problems like AIDS, Clean Water, and Green energy! To learn more, please visit: http://androidforums.com/computers/818420-lets-cure-cancer-our-phones.html
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,780
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 926
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Thanks for the critique, sf. It's good hearing firsthand accounts of experiences like this. You're probably right that the bogged down wifi slowed it down, but the cheap feel and everything definitely gives me food for thought. Like you, I understand that the reasoning is to keep costs down, but I don't like things that feel cheap!
saptech likes this.
__________________
Info on Heartbleed bug; updated with helpful links


MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Thanks for the critique, sf. It's good hearing firsthand accounts of experiences like this. You're probably right that the bogged down wifi slowed it down, but the cheap feel and everything definitely gives me food for thought. Like you, I understand that the reasoning is to keep costs down, but I don't like things that feel cheap!
Exactly The HP Chromebook next to the Samsung one (Which was broken) looked and feeled really nice, but, knowing that there is a new one coming out within 2 months for the same price, I think I will wait.
MoodyBlues likes this.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

The quality and lack of ports in the Samsung is precisely why I opted for the Acer C7
MoodyBlues and saptech like this.
__________________
Device(s):
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Stock, rooted TouchWiz)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (non-rooted, stock)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (obsolete, slow, rooted)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
The quality and lack of ports in the Samsung is precisely why I opted for the Acer C7
I don't need ports at all! There should be a design with nothing but a charging port and a USB port. What else do I need? Nothing because that's all I ever use on my current laptop.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,780
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 926
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbloodbrother View Post
I don't need ports at all! There should be a design with nothing but a charging port and a USB port. What else do I need? Nothing because that's all I ever use on my current laptop.
I use multiple USB devices on each of my computers, and I make very good use of their card readers, too, since I take a ton of photos with my Nikons. I occasionally use other ports, too, such as external speakers on the laptop I'm typing this on.

But if I ever get a Chromebook, I realize I may need to rethink how I use/think about it. If I think of it strictly in terms of an additional laptop that I can use out on my patio, without lugging my REAL laptop out there, and without needing a disc drive, card reader, or a bunch of other ports, just the basics, I may adapt. That's all speculative, though, because I haven't bought one yet!
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

I like the HDMI out and video-out. it is handy whenever i want to watch my Play Movies library on my TV. some folks like getting a $99 laptop with all the bells and horns (mine was on sale)

If i wanted minimalism i'd shell out for a Macbook Air
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,780
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 926
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
The quality and lack of ports in the Samsung is precisely why I opted for the Acer C7
Any thoughts on this Acer, Nick? Amazon.com: Acer C7 C710-2847 Chromebook 11.6" Intel Dual Core B847 1.1 GHz 2GB DDR3 320GB 5400RPM HDD Wifi HDMI USB3.0 VGA Card Reader: Computers & Accessories

I'm thinking of grabbing one before my head explodes from thinking about it too much. Just plunge in, buy a Chromebook, hope I can install Linux on it if I feel like it, and move on.

This looks like a good, basic laptop I could use when I don't need all the STUFF on my other computers.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

That's the exact same model I got. I think Best Buy wanted to unload their Chrome book line because they aren't selling so they lowered the price of the Acer to $99.
MoodyBlues and saptech like this.
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,780
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 926
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
That's the exact same model I got. I think Best Buy wanted to unload their Chrome book line because they aren't selling so they lowered the price of the Acer to $99.
I'm off to see if I can find a $99 one...

ETA: So it looks like this model has been discontinued, and it's out of stock at a lot of places I checked. I'm not finding any for less than ~$250. Input, please--should I wait...for something(?), or grab one of these? I don't need heavy-duty computing. I just want an extra laptop; it'll be used for lightweight stuff like browsing, but I *DO* want a hard drive so this model fits that need.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Last edited by MoodyBlues; September 26th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
I like the HDMI out and video-out. it is handy whenever i want to watch my Play Movies library on my TV. some folks like getting a $99 laptop with all the bells and horns (mine was on sale)

If i wanted minimalism i'd shell out for a Macbook Air
Theresa Chrome extortion to be used with a Chrome cast that will make use of streaming Content from the web to the TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
I use multiple USB devices on each of my computers, and I make very good use of their card readers, too, since I take a ton of photos with my Nikons. I occasionally use other ports, too, such as external speakers on the laptop I'm typing this on.

But if I ever get a Chromebook, I realize I may need to rethink how I use/think about it. If I think of it strictly in terms of an additional laptop that I can use out on my patio, without lugging my REAL laptop out there, and without needing a disc drive, card reader, or a bunch of other ports, just the basics, I may adapt. That's all speculative, though, because I haven't bought one yet!
Chrome books are still in the early Stages Just like tablets. They will get better as more developers make good apps for Chrome
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

i do not have chromecast and it might take a year or two before my town sees one. secondly hard to stream content to a TV when the TV has no internet connection (or worse, the router kills the connectivity when you try using a Vizio Internet App other than Netflix giving a 'WLAN Access Rejected' log entry)

Reading about them online, they seem to regretably be going the way of Google TV and the Nexus Q. Google Chromebooks are failing which is why Best Buy here was so quick to get rid of 'em and has now replaced the stand with Mac displays
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i do not have chromecast and it might take a year or two before my town sees one. secondly hard to stream content to a TV when the TV has no internet connection (or worse, the router kills the connectivity when you try using a Vizio Internet App other than Netflix giving a 'WLAN Access Rejected' log entry)

Reading about them online, they seem to regretably be going the way of Google TV and the Nexus Q. Google Chromebooks are failing which is why Best Buy here was so quick to get rid of 'em and has now replaced the stand with Mac displays
Are they failing? Maybe where you are, but Amazon still has the Chromebook as the best seller.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,780
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 926
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbloodbrother View Post
Are they failing? Maybe where you are, but Amazon still has the Chromebook as the best seller.
Yeah, I certainly hadn't heard that Chromebooks are failing either.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,636
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,939
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,783 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i do not have chromecast and it might take a year or two before my town sees one. secondly hard to stream content to a TV when the TV has no internet connection (or worse, the router kills the connectivity when you try using a Vizio Internet App other than Netflix giving a 'WLAN Access Rejected' log entry)

Reading about them online, they seem to regretably be going the way of Google TV and the Nexus Q. Google Chromebooks are failing which is why Best Buy here was so quick to get rid of 'em and has now replaced the stand with Mac displays
When I was in the UK in June, I was looking at the Chromebooks in Currys Digital. But their SAs didn't seem to know much about them at all, let alone know how to make them seem desirable and make customers want to buy one.. ....apart from "well yeh er....it's just a browser" .... OK

But then that often happens in big box stores. Companies launch a new product, get it into the stores, yet the SAs are like not trained or briefed on how to sell the new product, what customers can use it for, etc. So you get like the Chromebook display is pretty much deserted, store sees them as a poor seller, so lets use the space for more Macs or something. The UK version of Tivo was like that, so Tivo UK was basically abandoned after a while.
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; September 26th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
When I was in the UK in June, I was looking at the Chromebooks in Currys Digital. But their SAs didn't seem to know much about them at all, let alone know how to make them seem desirable and make customers want to buy one.. ....apart from "well yeh er....it's just a browser" .... OK

But then that often happens in big box stores. Companies launch a new product, get it into the stores, yet the SAs are like not trained or briefed on how to sell the new product, what customers can use it for, etc. So you get like the Chromebook display is pretty much deserted, store sees them as a poor seller, so lets use the space for more Macs or something. The UK version of Tivo was like that, so Tivo UK was basically abandoned after a while.
They should be trained to sell them. I will hopefully be applying at Microcenter soon, and hope to get a job there. I do hope that they will give me the correct training to sell products.
Some of the sales Associets at best buy are just awful, which is why I do not want to apply there, training there is bad, and I don't think that they will make me better, smarting in the world of technology.
Literally, there was this women who taught this SA a lesson because he was rude, and abnoctious. Then he goes off saying "Oh, I have ADHD". Like, nobody cares.
At Microcenter they seem so much more professional. I will pay a few extra $ to have good service, and people who know what they are talking about.
Mehta23 likes this.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

apparently Best Buy is biased towards Apple. they are so quick to advertise the iPhone/Mac/iPad, etc as the best thing since sliced bread, even to the point that if you dare think of selecting the Nexus 7 or Transformer Prime, they ask you 'sure you wouldn't like an iPad? i heard Android isn't that great'

The current theme is 'iPhone 5c for sale this weekend' and they are all over Apple this time of year anyway. best benefit though is uber low prices on Android stuff, and easily browsable aisles since they're basically empty. lately, half the Android stuff has been converted to Surface Pro/RT and that made the already limited Android tablet selection even more limited.
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,636
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,939
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,783 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbloodbrother View Post
They should be trained to sell them. I will hopefully be applying at Microcenter soon, and hope to get a job there. I do hope that they will give me the correct training to sell products.
Some of the sales Associets at best buy are just awful, which is why I do not want to apply there, training there is bad, and I don't think that they will make me better, smarting in the world of technology.
Literally, there was this women who taught this SA a lesson because he was rude, and abnoctious. Then he goes off saying "Oh, I have ADHD". Like, nobody cares.
At Microcenter they seem so much more professional. I will pay a few extra $ to have good service, and people who know what they are talking about.
That sounds just like Currys in the UK. Speak to the SA about Chromebooks, and find the SA probably knows more about washing machines and doesn't really care.

BTW sfbloodbrother, I wish you the best for getting the job at Microcenter.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,780
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 926
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbloodbrother View Post
I will hopefully be applying at Microcenter soon, and hope to get a job there.
...
At Microcenter they seem so much more professional. I will pay a few extra $ to have good service, and people who know what they are talking about.
I used to LOVE going to Microcenter. The one in Dallas was only like 8 or 9 miles from my house, and I went there often. I could find any cable, adapter, splitter, whatever I needed, plus they had a great selection of Linux books and, of course, computers and parts. Since moving back to California I've only been to MC once--because it's ~45 miles from my house.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Need Beer and Mustard
 
breadnatty08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: District of Columbia
Posts: 17,730
 
Device(s): LG G2, Moto G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7, HTC Flyer
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,727
Thanked 5,412 Times in 3,566 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i do not have chromecast and it might take a year or two before my town sees one. secondly hard to stream content to a TV when the TV has no internet connection (or worse, the router kills the connectivity when you try using a Vizio Internet App other than Netflix giving a 'WLAN Access Rejected' log entry)

Reading about them online, they seem to regretably be going the way of Google TV and the Nexus Q. Google Chromebooks are failing which is why Best Buy here was so quick to get rid of 'em and has now replaced the stand with Mac displays
AFAIK, Chromecast is only supported with the Pixel.
One thing I notice is, I do get some checkboarding if I try to scroll too fast even on a good wifi connection. Yeah, it's cheap, but it loads AF nearly as fast as my old Gateway lappy.
__________________
New to the forum? Check out the FAQ
Haven't signed up? Join the best Android Forum out there!
Sign up here
breadnatty08 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 27th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadnatty08 View Post
AFAIK, Chromecast is only supported with the Pixel.
One thing I notice is, I do get some checkboarding if I try to scroll too fast even on a good wifi connection. Yeah, it's cheap, but it loads AF nearly as fast as my old Gateway lappy.
Gateway should make a Chromebook. I don't know why, but I like them. Even though the service is bad, and they are just a division of Acer. If I had a few billion dollars, and had a company to buy out, It'd be Gateway. I don't know why. haha,

But really, the Pixel is the only Chrome computer that can be used with a chromecast? Even the Nexus line of tablets, and phones can make use of the chromecast.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Gateway? as in Gateway 2000 and cow boxes? they still exist? i have not seen their name on anyhing since an old WinME Solo laptop
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,636
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,939
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,783 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
Gateway? as in Gateway 2000 and cow boxes? they still exist? i have not seen their name on anyhing since an old WinME Solo laptop
Yes Gateway as in Gateway 2000. It's now a brand of Acer for their North American market. Same way that Packard Bell is one of Acer's brands for Europe. I suspect they'd still do the cow boxes as well, part of the expected branding
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; September 27th, 2013 at 11:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
Yes Gateway as in Gateway 2000. It's now a brand of Acer for their North American market. Same way that Packard Bell is one of Acer's brands for Europe. I suspect they'd still do the cow boxes as well, part of the expected branding
I do wish they will innovate more that just mediocre computers, they should be making tablets. Imagine that, a Gateway Tablet. Most PC companies have no idea how to do that.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wyndslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,275
 
Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Smart

Thanks: 344
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbloodbrother View Post
They should be trained to sell them. I will hopefully be applying at Microcenter soon, and hope to get a job there. I do hope that they will give me the correct training to sell products.
Some of the sales Associets at best buy are just awful, which is why I do not want to apply there, training there is bad, and I don't think that they will make me better, smarting in the world of technology.
Literally, there was this women who taught this SA a lesson because he was rude, and abnoctious. Then he goes off saying "Oh, I have ADHD". Like, nobody cares.
At Microcenter they seem so much more professional. I will pay a few extra $ to have good service, and people who know what they are talking about.
In such a case maybe just self study the products in the store so you can sell them better?
__________________
Like my avatar? I got it here: Android net custom icon pack series 3
wyndslash is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
In such a case maybe just self study the products in the store so you can sell them better?
That's probably what I'll have to do if I work at best buy. Nome of them even know what a chromebook it.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

the Chromebook stand is GONE around here, they have replaced it with the new iPad and iOS 7 displays.
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,636
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,939
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,783 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
the Chromebook stand is GONE around here, they have replaced it with the new iPad and iOS 7 displays.
With what I saw at Currys, Oxford in June, it could very well be the same there now. I think unless they really know how to sell and want to market them. Trying to sell something that really is just a browser in the same space as all those iPads, Androids, Macs and PCs, it is a very hard sell IMO. The prices of the Samsung ones in UK seemed to be around 250-300. For that price you can buy a reasonable laptop, or a couple of good Android Tablets, or a premium Android tablet or an iPad.

Has Google or Samsung spent anything on actually promoting Chromebooks to the general public and raising product awareness in the US or UK? Getting everyone to know about them, like extensive ad campaigns, shopping mall promotions, etc.?

AFAIK in the 1990s Apple used to have a problem trying to sell in the big box stores and general retailers, with no one knowing much about them and their displays being ignored and left to decay. Mind you in the 1990s, Macs could be quite crummy things. They really managed to turn things around by opening their own stores, and having SAs that thoroughly knew their products, as well as improving the product itself of course. Of course these days Apple products in big box stores is never a problem.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; September 28th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
With what I saw at Currys, Oxford in June, it could very well be the same there now. I think unless they really know how to sell and want to market them. Trying to sell something that really is just a browser in the same space as all those iPads, Androids, Macs and PCs, it is a very hard sell IMO. The prices of the Samsung ones in UK seemed to be around 250-300. For that price you can buy a reasonable laptop, or a couple of good Android Tablets, or a premium Android tablet or an iPad.

Has Google or Samsung spent anything on actually promoting Chromebooks to the general public and raising product awareness in the US or UK? Getting everyone to know about them, like extensive ad campaigns, shopping mall promotions, etc.?

AFAIK in the 1990s Apple used to have a problem trying to sell in the big box stores and general retailers, with no one knowing much about them and their displays being ignored and left to decay. Mind you in the 1990s, Macs could be quite crummy things. They really managed to turn things around by opening their own stores, and having SAs that thoroughly knew their products, as well as improving the product itself of course. Of course these days Apple products in big box stores is never a problem.
Your saying Google should open their own stores?
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,636
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,939
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,783 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbloodbrother View Post
Your saying Google should open their own stores?
Not necessarily their own stores immediately, but I certainly think they should do something to market them better and soon. Otherwise Samsung or HP or Acer might say, OK we're not selling many of these, costing us too much money, stop making them. Obviously the OEMs should play their part in marketing them better as well.

You're in the States SF, have you seen any or much mention of Chromebooks outside of techie sites like Engadget or Cnet or forums like AF? If you ask your mother or something, would she know what a Chromebook is? Because I knew mine wouldn't. Not unless it was in the popular press or on TV or was an active in store promotion.

Even a person who regularly uses a laptop, well we got these Chromebook laptops, but there's no office suite on there or anything and you can't install anything on them, so you have to convince them to use Google Docs and other Google service and to always be on-line. I really do think they can be a hard sell to the general public.

I can only go on what I saw for few weeks in the UK last summer. They don't sell them in the PRC of course.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; September 28th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
Not necessarily their own stores immediately, but I certainly think they should do something to market them better and soon. Otherwise Samsung or HP or Acer might say, OK we're not selling many of these, costing us too much money, stop making them. Obviously the OEMs should play their part in marketing them better as well.

You're in the States SF, have you seen any or much mention of Chromebooks outside of techie sites like Engadget or Cnet or forums like AF? If you ask your mother or something, would she know what a Chromebook is? Because I knew mine wouldn't. Not unless it was in the popular press or on TV or was an active in store promotion.

Even a person who regularly uses a laptop, well we got these Chromebook laptops, but there's no office suite on there or anything and you can't install anything on them, so you have to convince them to use Google Docs and other Google service and to always be on-line. I really do think they can be a hard sell to the general public.

I can only go on what I saw for few weeks in the UK last summer. They don't sell them in the PRC of course.
But the Chromebook is so MASS advertised everywhere. On TV, on the Web, on the radio, everywhere. How do people not notice them? Unless they are blind.
mikedt likes this.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,203
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbloodbrother View Post
But the Chromebook is so MASS advertised everywhere. On TV, on the Web, on the radio, everywhere. How do people not notice them? Unless they are blind.
... not really. I see them advertised only as really inexpensive computers. Or netbooks. It's like going down to your local grocery store or factory discounter and buying a 7" tablet for $50-- sure, it's like an i-pad, except it has no power and you can't really do anything except surf the internet... if you have a wifi connection...
Dngrsone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #33 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,636
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,939
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,783 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
... not really. I see them advertised only as really inexpensive computers. Or netbooks. It's like going down to your local grocery store or factory discounter and buying a 7" tablet for $50-- sure, it's like an i-pad, except it has no power and you can't really do anything except surf the internet... if you have a wifi connection...
Think the main problem is, in the UK at least, they're not exactly inexpensive, Currys lists the Samsung ones at 250-299, that's around $400. IMO that's a lot of money for what is it, that's why I think they can be a hard sell to the general public. If they were 99 think it would be better. We're completely surrounded by cheapie Android tablets and netbooks now, like in every supermarket. They do more than a Chromebook.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

My opinion is they'd be far more utilized and popular running some Linux distribution rather than ChromeOS. They make excellent budget Linux computers.
MoodyBlues and saptech like this.
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,366
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 461 Times in 384 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
My opinion is they'd be far more utilized and popular running some Linux distribution rather than ChromeOS. They make excellent budget Linux computers.
I like to believe that Chrome is all that we will need in the future.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
I ain't nobody!
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,544
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 572
Thanked 768 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
My opinion is they'd be far more utilized and popular running some Linux distribution rather than ChromeOS. They make excellent budget Linux computers.
And choose one with some good support, such as Red Hat, Debian or even Ubuntu, to name a few.

Not like when the first netbooks came out with those crippled versions of Linux that turned people off and chose the Windows version.
mikedt and MoodyBlues like this.
__________________
Like it is...Yusef Lateef
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,636
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,939
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,783 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptech View Post
And choose one with some good support, such as Red Hat, Debian or even Ubuntu, to name a few.

Not like when the first netbooks came out with those crippled versions of Linux that turned people off and chose the Windows version.
I still think that was a Micro$oft conspiracy.
MoodyBlues and saptech like this.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #38 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
BRAINZ2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: dELAWARE
Posts: 3,595
 
Device(s): LG ESTEEM#2-2.8zvd 2.2 plague extreme kernel. HUAWEI ASCEND M860 HUAWEI ASCEND II Sony Ericsson X10
Carrier: Metro/Tmobile/At&T

Thanks: 585
Thanked 545 Times in 473 Posts
Default

You feel the same way i see
BRAINZ2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
out of ideas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 607
 
Device(s): ZTE Merit. ICScamwich OC. Galaxy Prevail CTMod 3.68
Carrier: Pigeons

Thanks: 58
Thanked 138 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
Has Google or Samsung spent anything on actually promoting Chromebooks to the general public and raising product awareness in the US or UK? Getting everyone to know about them, like extensive ad campaigns, shopping mall promotions, etc.?

google has been running ads like crazy for chromebooks for a while on tv over here in the us. kind of tapered off recently, but i still see them randomly.

going with a "$249 laptop for everyone" campaign.

here's one of the ads, but there are others that are similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S95J5BowMmk

i almost thought about getting one, but then i remembered i could get a real laptop for almost the same price.
mikedt and Dngrsone like this.
__________________
Stuff of mine:
Ice Cream Scamwich (ZTE 990s)

Deodexed Stock ZTE Merit
out of ideas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wyndslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,275
 
Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Smart

Thanks: 344
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by out of ideas View Post
google has been running ads like crazy for chromebooks for a while on tv over here in the us. kind of tapered off recently, but i still see them randomly.

going with a "$249 laptop for everyone" campaign.

here's one of the ads, but there are others that are similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S95J5BowMmk

i almost thought about getting one, but then i remembered i could get a real laptop for almost the same price.
Which laptop is that?
wyndslash is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #41 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Probably the bottom of the barrel Windows 8 machine, which goes for around $299 here
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wyndslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,275
 
Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Smart

Thanks: 344
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Default

I'm not sure I want a windows 8 machine. It looks so cluttered to me.
wyndslash is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #43 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,780
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 926
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I'm not sure I want a windows 8 machine. It looks so cluttered to me.
Buy it, wipe it, put Linux on it, and then you can make your computer look exactly how you want it.

Heck, for $299 *I* would buy a window$ laptop in a heartbeat. And then IMMEDIATELY wipe all traces of micro$oft off its drive!
saptech likes this.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #44 (permalink)
I ain't nobody!
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,544
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 572
Thanked 768 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Same here.
MoodyBlues likes this.
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wyndslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,275
 
Device(s): Note II
Carrier: Smart

Thanks: 344
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Buy it, wipe it, put Linux on it, and then you can make your computer look exactly how you want it.

Heck, for $299 *I* would buy a window$ laptop in a heartbeat. And then IMMEDIATELY wipe all traces of micro$oft off its drive!
I've been looking at the windows 8 Samsung ultrabooks
saptech likes this.
wyndslash is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #46 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,636
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,939
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,783 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I've been looking at the windows 8 Samsung ultrabooks
Still wipe it clean and put Linux on it.
MoodyBlues, saptech and Dngrsone like this.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikedt For This Useful Post:
MoodyBlues (September 30th, 2013)
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #47 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

They gets difficult with each revision to the UEFI BIOS designed to block other OSs besides Windows.
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,203
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

I can only hope there will be a backlash against Microsoft's clever little plot-- they are really drifting into an anti-trust lawsuit with this...

I am in a discussion on another forum where I found out that the serial number for Win 8 being encoded into the UEFI firmware.

This means a) no need to enter a serial number to reinstall Windows on your device, and b) if you change motherboards (or maybe flash an unsupported firmware change), then you are SOL and will have to buy another license for Win 8.
MoodyBlues and saptech like this.
Dngrsone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #49 (permalink)
- Crazy peacock person -
 
MoodyBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: echo $HOME; California
Posts: 2,780
 
Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 926
Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts
Default

I've been anti-micro$oft forever--first because of its inferior [compared to *nix] operating systems and then because of what I found out along the way about their business practices. I really thought after their assorted legal troubles they'd learn something and change their ways. Okay, I did't actually think they would, but I HOPED they would.

This latest thing, however, has blown me away. I'm literally flabbergasted that they're not only doing this crap, but that they're getting away with it!

When I first started hearing about this, I assumed that for me, as a Linux only user, it would be perhaps a minor inconvenience. After all, I've been buying computers for eons that came pre-installed with window$--which I'd promptly wipe off their drives and replace with Linux--and I had to deal with minor irritations, like those stupid, ubiquitous window$ keys on my keyboards. But THIS? I'm actually shocked.

I refuse to believe that they're going to continue getting away with this. As someone else said, it's like buying a great TV but only being allowed to watch one channel on it. The TV, or computer, manufacturer should stick to manufacturing their products, and letting us, the consumers who PAY them, use those products as we see fit.
MoodyBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,203
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 129
Thanked 257 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Keep in mind, Moody, that we-- that is, you, me, the old lady down the street-- are not Microsoft's target consumer.

Microsoft's customers are big business and government. Individual buyers are nice, but they are ultimately a means to an end-- the individuals will buy whatever will let them do their work at home (because you can't leave work at work... it's not the American way); so as long as work buys into the Wintel empire, the peons will continue to support it as well.

So, MS is trying to keep Linux from making further forays into the business market, and that is why they have corrupted UEFI the way they have.

... and a long as big government is hanging off the MS teat (taxes, people!), they have little incentive to interfere with the aforementioned empire.
MoodyBlues likes this.
Dngrsone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Computers & IT
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.