I'm bringing this guide over from another forum.
First off, This guide will instruct on rooting by flashing a new ROM. If you are interested in simply rooting your phone, while staying with the stock rom, please visit this tutorial.
How To Root Samsung Continuum with SuperOneClick
Now, the gratuities. Thanks go to the following
1. IMNUTS for the 2.2.2 Froyo leak
2. Adrynalyne for the CWM kernel, and official CWM
3. T1231 For the Cleaned ROM that I will link in this tutorial
4. Several people who helped educate me on all this crap, when I was in your shoes. Those include, but are not limited to Trailblazer101, Ciscogee, and Pastorbennett.
All of these fine people can be found over here. Samsung Continuum - xda-developers
Next, the disclaimer. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone. This tutorial will work, if you follow it. If you have ANY doubts or questions, ask BEFORE you start the process. The link over to XDA contains a wealth of knowledge and many people ready and willing to help. And I am never more than a PM away. Also, this tutorial is designed to be used while you are taking the steps. If possible, I would advise printing it out and having it next to you. If not, then have the page up so you can come back to it as you proceed.
Finally, some definitions.
ROM: The operating system on your phone. No more, no less.
CWM: (Clockwork Mod Recovery) A program on your phone (one of several, but the most widely accepted and used) that boots in place of the ROM for purposes of installing, backing up and recovering your ROM and various modifications
Odin: A computer program that interacts with your phone when it is in download mode to install certain files
Kernel: The foundation of your ROM. It controls all of the most basic functions.
Recovery Kernel: The same thing, but for the recovery program (CWM)
Flashing: Installing a program. The term is used interchangeably with installing via CWM and via Odin.
Rooting: Rooting is not installing a rom. It is simply the means by which you gain 'root' access to your phone. Meaning you can do just about anything you want to it, for good or ill.
The advantages of rooting are that, as stated, you can do anything you want to your phone. Provided, of course, that the software (programs) exist to facilitate it. This is anything from completely changing the look and feel of it, to changing the kernel itself to speed it up, or save battery life.
The dangers, of course, are that you 'brick' your phone (make it unusable). And, that you completely void the factory warranty. it is up to you to decide if those risks are worth the reward.
Now, for the tutorial. Your test, will be whether or not you have an improved functional phone at the end.
What you will need:
Samsung Drivers. Samsung
Odin MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
CWM kernel http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30171389/cwm...est4_adryn.tar
EC07 Kernel http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30171389/ec07.tar
EC07 ROM http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30171389/ec07-deodex.zip
Ok. Lets get started.
1. install the samsung drivers onto your computer.
2, Take the update.zip that you downloaded (CWM) and EC07-deodexed.zip and place them on your sd card, not in any folders. Don't unzip or extract anything from them. simply drag and drop them, as is.
3. extract the Odin.zip contents into a folder where you can get to them (I leave them on my desktop) and open the program. Place the cwm_recovery_test4_adryn.tar in the PDA section of Odin by clicking on "PDA" and browsing for the file. DO NOT PUT IT IN PHONE SECTION.
4. place your phone into download mode by powering off, removing the battery, then holding the volume down button while plugging the phone into your usb port. You should get a yellow box in Odin with the word COM and a couple of numbers. If you don't have this, do not proceed. Your phone will show a yellow picture of an 'android' with a shovel in a caution sign. It will also say "Do not turn off target"
4. make sure auto reboot is UNCHECKED and click start. It should take less than a minute. You will see a green progress bar going across the box with the word 'Kernel' in it. Wait until it says 'RESET' before unplugging your phone
5. Reinstall your battery and reboot into recovery by holding the volume up, down and power button all at once. This will boot you into stock recovery.
6. Using the volume down and menu softkey to select (it won't be lit up. Just tap where it would be - firmly) select sdcard:update.zip This will switch you into CWM recovery.
7. again, using the volume keys to move the highlight, and POWER to select, go to backup/restore. Select it, then backup. scroll down to 'yes' and select it. Now is a good time to get a drink. You are backing up your current stock rom. Once you do this, you can recover to stock, if the process doesin't work properly.
8. using the back softkey, back up until you get to 'reboot system now' in CWM recovery and select it. Once your system has fully rebooted, power it back off.
9. Go back to Odin, and click 'RESET'. Then place the EC07.tar file in the PDA section the same way you placed the "cwm_adrynalyne_test4.tar" there. Once again, make sure you DO NOT place it in PHONE SECTION. Then, make sure auto reboot is unchecked.
10. Place your phone in download mode, again, using the same method as above. And ensure that you get the 'com' before you proceed.
11. click start. This will install the kernel and modem for EC07. Again, it should be done in less than a minute. It will hang on "MODEM' for a few seconds, don't be alarmed. This is normal.
12, After you get "pass" and "reset", unplug your phone, and reboot into recovery, using the same 3 finger method. Ensure you have "RESET" BEFORE you unplug your phone. Don't get eager, now.
13, apply sdcard:update.zip to get into cwm the same as above, but this time scroll down to 'install .zip from sdcard' once you are in CWM
14., select 'choose zip from sd card' and scroll down to 'EC07.zip', then select it, then yes. This will take a minute or so to install.
15. use your back key to back out to the main CWM menu, then go down to 'advanced' and select it.
16. Select wipe dalvik cache' and yes. this should be pretty quick (Your dalvik cache does not wipe your apps. but it does wipe the interactions your apps have developed with your rom. Wiping this will prevent force close issues.)
17, back out to main CWM menu and select 'wipe cache partition' then yes.
18. If you have some time to kill, and want some extra insurance, go back to the CWM main menu, and select wipe data/factory reset. This WILL delete all of your apps, and personal info. It will NOT revert you back to stock. Not doing this will not cause a brick, so if you don't have contacts and what not backed up, don't worry about doing it.
19. Back out to CWM main menu, and select 'reboot system now.'
20. You will sit on the verizon splash screen for a while here. It's rebuilding your dalvik and doing final install. DO NOT PULL YOUR BATTERY. This can take 5-15 minutes. Leave it alone, grab a drink, or lunch, or harass a loved one if they are available.,. WALK AWAY.
21, After several eternities (so it will seem) your phone will finally finish booting. Go to Settings>about phone, and scroll down. You should see
firmware version: 2.2.2
Baseband version: S:i400.0.6V.ec06
Build number: SC H-I400 EC07
If it says all of that, then you have successfully flashed a prerooted rom. Congratulations. Now, start playing.
But first:Remember how you made that original back up? Reboot into recovery (3 finger method) select sdcard:update.zip, scroll down to backup and restore, then back up. Yeah. Do that. That way, when you screw up your rom due to a mod you tried or made (and you will, it's all part of learning), you have something to go back to other than stock.
There is generally someone around in IRC as well. If you don't have a client, you can go to
and type #samsung-continuum into the 'channel' section.