Tutorial. Moving from another ROM (EC07, EC03, DL17) to EC09 Rooted with busybox
This tutorial will Tell you how to move from any ROM to EC09. It will be broken down into 2 sections.
1. How to get Stock EC09
2. How to get DEODEXED EC09
Disclaimer: I am not responsible. This will work. Follow the directions carefully. Print this tutorial out, if possible. And if you have ANY questions or concerns, ASK FIRST. My PM box is free to use, and IRC normally has someone in it that can help.
IRC:freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)
Now. Let's get to work.
First. There are a couple of methods to getting EC09.
The preferred method is to flash stock DL17, and do the OTA. There are some of you who say you can't GET the update,even though you are on rooted DL17. Chances are, it's because you debloated. Verizon is anal about that. Flashing DL17, will probably fix it. If Not, then we move on to step 2.
The second way, is to flash the full EC09 package, through Odin or Heimdall. We will be dealing with Odin, in this tutorial. The Advantage here is that it is prerooted. Rooting this rom is VERY easy, though. Super one click 2.3.3 does it, every time.
The disadvantage (potentially) is bits and pieces of loose incompatable code running around. That being said, We've flashed people to the full package from DL17, and have seen no ill effects. But, It's very early in this ROM. So, I'd advise a native update, if possible.
SECTION 1. DOING THE NATIVE UPDATE
What you'll need.
1. Samsung Drivers
Support - Verizon Wireless Cell Phones SCH-I400 | Samsung Cell Phones
3. 7zip (preferably. Winrar works, as well. And it's already installed on most windows computers)
4. Stock DL17 (The last OFFICIAL ROM Verizon released, before EC09)
5. A good usb cable. If you have had any issues tranfering files, or charging with the cable you have, Don't do this. Figure out what the issue is, first (It's either your cable, usb port, or micro usb on the phone).
1. Download and install Samsung drivers, if not already on your computer.
2. Install 7zip, if you chose it. (Note: all extractions I reference in this guide will be through 7zip. However, the actions are roughly the same in winrar)
3. Extract ODIN to your desktop. (Note: The version I reference is 1.3. 1.82 and 1.85 work just fine as well, if that is what you already have).
4. Open Stock DL17 in 7zip. Inside the extension will go from .tar.md5.7z to .tar.md5 Drag that file onto your desktop.
5. Open Odin, and click the PDA button. Then browse for the stock DL17.tar.md5 (the one you just put on desktop).
6. Power down phone, and put it in download mode. (vol down adn power at the same time).
7. plug your phone in, and wait for drivers to finish installing, if you just installed the samsung drivers. You will get a notification pop up telling you when it's done.
8. You should now have a yellow box in the upper left hand corner of odin. It will say 'com' and have a number in it.
If you have this, click start. If not, unplug your phone, shut down odin, open odin, plug back in. Then repeat step 5.
It is now flashing your phone with DL17. DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE, AT ANY TIME AFTER IT PASSES 'SETUPCONNECTION'.
When it is done, your phone will reboot on it's own. Factoryfs will take a little time, and modem will seem to hang a few seconds. This is normal.
NOTE: FLASHING THIS WILL WIPE DATA. BACK UP BEFORE YOU FLASH. And, yes. There is a reason I put this at the end of this section.
Now. Once your phone is back up, set it up, as far as you want to. None of it is actually neccessary. Then, go to Settings/about phone/system updates and click check for updates. You will recieve 2 of them The first one is EB01. It's sole purpose is to fix ota compatability. The second one will be EC09.
At this point, you are good to go. If you want to simply root, download superoneclick 2.3.3 from v2.3.3 Download link | shortfuse.org
Make sure usb debugging is checked in settings/applications/development. Plug in, and click ROOT. Let it run. Reboot, and you will be rooted. If you want to go to a deodexed ROM (necessary for flashing themes, mods, and apk hacks), then move to section 3.
SECTION 2. UPDATING VIA ODIN ROM
What you'll need.
1. Samsung Drivers (section 1)
2. Odin (section 1)
3. EC09 Odexed
4. Continuum PIT file
1. Install samsung drivers, if not already on your computer.
2. Place phone in download mode (vol down and power at the same time)
3. plug in, and let the drivers finish installing, if need be.
4. Open Odin. You will have a small box in the upper left turn yellow, and say 'com' with a number. If you do not have this, do not proceed.
5. Click the PIT browse button, and find the continuum PIT file and select it.
6 UNCHECK REPARTITION. (Note, if flash fails, you can do it again with repartition checked. But, we haven't had that instance happen, yet.)
7. click browse in the PDA field, and find the EC09 Odexed.tar.md5 and select it.
8 Double check that the ONLY BOXES CHECKED ARE autoreboot, f.reset time, and PDA. PIT has the continuum PIT file in place, and PDA has the ec09 odexed file in place.
If everything is set, click start. Again. It will take a while on factoryfs and hang on modem for a few seconds. It is normal. Again, it will reboot your phone. And yes, again. This will wipe data, so back up first.
Once the flash completes, you will have stock odexed EC09, rooted with busybox. If this is all you need, then you are done. If you want to go to a deodexed rom (Necessary for theme/mod flashing) proceed to section 3
SECTION 3: FLASHING CLOCKWORK MOD RECOVERY, AND DEODEXED ROM
What you'll need:
1. Samsung drivers (section 1)
2. Odin (section 1)
3. Cwm recovery.bin
5. EC09 Deodexed.zip
1. Plug your phone into your computer, and mount the sdcard. Then drag the update.zip and EC09_deodexed.zip to the root of your sdcard (Not in any folders). Stop the connection, and let media scanner finish.
2. Install samsung drivers, if not done.
3. extract Odin to your desktop, and open it.
4. Put the cwm_adrynalyne_test4.tar in the PDA section
5. Put your phone in download mode, and plug in (vol down and power at the same time).
6. wait for drivers to finish installing, if need be.
7. Odin will now have a yellow box in upper left with 'com' and a number. If it doesn't unplug, close odin, open odin, replug. If it still doesn't have it, do not proceed. If it does, repeat step 4, then move to next step.
8. UNCHECK autoreboot.
9. The only 2 things that should be checked are f.reset time and the box next to the PDA field. If so, click start.
The flash will take less than 5 seconds. It will NOT reboot your phone, so look at the large box in the upper left, during the flash. It should say 'Kernel', 'Pass' then 'reset'. When it says reset, and the dialogue box in lower left say '(pass 1/fail 0)', then you can unplug.
10. Pull your battery, then replace it. Put the cover back on.
11. Get into recovery mode (vol up, down and power, at the same time until you see the samsung logo).
12. using vol keys to move and the menu softkey (it won't be lit up. press approximate location), to select 'apply sdcard:update.zip'.
If you get 'fail to verify whole file signature. Update.zip gone', pull your battery and repeat steps 4-10 If it works you will be in CWM, with red text
13. In CWM, using volume keys to move and now POWER to select, go to advanced, then to 'wipe dalvik cache'. Select the yes from among the 'no' options
14. use your back button (where it would be) to back out to the main cwm menu (hit back once. the first option in the main cwm menu is 'reboot system now')
15. scroll to 'install zip from sdcard' and select.
15A. scroll to 'choose zip from sdcard' and select.
16. Now you will see the entire contents of your sdcard. Find the EC09_deodexed.zip, and select it. Then select the yes, from among the no options.
17. After it installs, you will be sent back to the 'choose zip from sdcard' menu. Hit the back button once. Then select 'reboot system now.
18. Boot will take a few minutes. It's rebuilding your dalvik cache. Be patient.
When your phone reboots, you will be on EC09 Deodexed, rooted, with busybox.
Flashing the files in section 3 will NOT wipe your data. BUT, you must be on an EC09 rom, before you flash this one.
That is it. Enjoy.
Questions, concerns, inaccuracies are all welcome. So are thanks button clicks.