Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Cricket

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
budmonster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Question Flashing a phone from Verizon to Cricket?

How does this work. I have a Droid X, not saying I'm going to switch. Would I still get Google updates, would I be using Cricket data network for my internet and so on? I'm assuming Cricket internet is not 3G or anywhere near as fast a VZW? I'm just to curious on how this all works out...VZW phones to Cricket?

Thanks guys..

 
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kcs7272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: (Pittsburgh sort of)Jeannette ( West Newton as of the 10th) PA
Posts: 962
 
Device(s): AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note Cobalt Blue
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,643
Thanked 826 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Cricket is 3g, You need someone who knows what they are doing to do a FULL flash for you. Also if you live in a Cricket tri band area your phone will only work on roaming. As far as updates since the X has a skin over Android you will probably not get 2.3 or above over the air because updates for skinned phones usually come from carriers not Google.

That being said there are ways to get them. Also be aware that Cricket has a 1gig cap on data for Android phones (unlimited my ass) read the fine print. After that they throttle your internet. If you have any more questions hit me up.

(Ex Cricket Employee/ Store Owner & Cell Phone Junkie!)
__________________
Who am I, You really don't want to know.
kcs7272 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kcs7272 For This Useful Post:
gdillon1940 (March 1st, 2012)
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
NunyaBidnez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 242
 
Device(s): Nexus One T-mobile Non-rooted Android 2.3.3 GRI40
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Default

What exactly is involved in making a Verizon Android phone work on the Cricket network? After the phone is flashed to work on Cricket, can the phone be further modified with a custom ROM such as Cyanogenmod and continue to work on Cricket?
NunyaBidnez is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I'm a Cricket Franchise owner that full flashes Sprint and Verizon phones to Cricket. Cricket is 3G and is from what I've heard going to be 4G later this year in selected areas and in all Cricket Coverage areas in 2012. Cricket is unlimited talk,text and Internet, but when any provider tells you unlimited data it only means they will not shut down your internet or charge you extra if you go over whatever cap they have set place for internet usage. They will just throttle your internet.
flash35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flash35 For This Useful Post:
KOLIO (June 26th, 2011), la sal (June 28th, 2011)
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

what do you mean throttle?
tmmcneil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Can0dope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): Huawei Ascend (Cricket) CM7.2 09132011 build
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 221
Thanked 109 Times in 90 Posts
calebb1982
Default

Basically, make it ridonculously slow.
__________________
The above post may contain sarcasm...
Can0dope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Scur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,389
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 351
Thanked 484 Times in 305 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Scur
Default

What phones can be flashed to use Cricket? Any phone, or ones from just Sprint or Verizon?
Scur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,300
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,105
Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scur View Post
What phones can be flashed to use Cricket? Any phone, or ones from just Sprint or Verizon?
Basically Sprint or Verizon, because they are CDMA like Cricket. T-Mo and ATT phones won't work because they are GSM and require sim cards.
__________________
"Machete don't text"
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gmash For This Useful Post:
Scur (August 3rd, 2011)
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Scur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,389
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 351
Thanked 484 Times in 305 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Scur
Default

Ok, I did it. I got my Verizon Motorola Droid X2 saturday. Over the weekend I figured out how to throw the NV items on the phone, put in the proper PRL, changed the phone number in the phone, rooted the stock Froyo, and deleted the bloatware. Today I got Cricket to switch the ESN on my account from my old Ascend to the X2, and everything is working perfectly. If you're handy with flashing, and can follow directions, it's not hard.
Scur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default flashing

Where can I get instructions to self flash incredible to crickett??
b-cpeace is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 9th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Scur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,389
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 351
Thanked 484 Times in 305 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Scur
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-cpeace View Post
Where can I get instructions to self flash incredible to crickett??
Verizon HTC Droid Incredible
Scur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok here my question does the phone once it is flashed does it pickup the signal as well as a cricket phone does . The reason I ask this is on my phone now I can have no bars but still work just fine. And will it roam ?
Appliancemedic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Scur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,389
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 351
Thanked 484 Times in 305 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Scur
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appliancemedic View Post
Ok here my question does the phone once it is flashed does it pickup the signal as well as a cricket phone does . The reason I ask this is on my phone now I can have no bars but still work just fine. And will it roam ?

It will roam, but Cricket has roaming charges. Go to the Cricket site and look at the coverage map.
Scur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Scur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,389
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 351
Thanked 484 Times in 305 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Scur
Default

Another thing you have to consider is that that flashing a dual band phone to work in a triband area won't work right.
Scur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the information what would be the best phone to flash ?
Appliancemedic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Scur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,389
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks: 351
Thanked 484 Times in 305 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Scur
Default

That, I don't know. Since messing around with this phone, I've found out this: It's barely worth it. Using a dual band phone in a tri-band area is a bit of a pain, and there's no guarantee that the Cricket guys won't eventually see you using the carrier partner's data connection and cancel you're account. It's taken many hours and research and trial and error to get this to work, and it still has it's issues. I've got a Droid X2, and I'm going to go to Verizon sometime soon and just put it on their monthly plan. It's a few bucks more, but there's still no contract, and I won't have to worry about maintenance on my end.

Now if you can find a good tri-band phone, you might have better luck than I've been having, and there shouldn't be any TOS issues.
Scur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus S w/ Sprint
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcs7272 View Post
Cricket is 3g, You need someone who knows what they are doing to do a FULL flash for you. Also if you live in a Cricket tri band area your phone will only work on roaming. As far as updates since the X has a skin over Android you will probably not get 2.3 or above over the air because updates for skinned phones usually come from carriers not Google.

That being said there are ways to get them. Also be aware that Cricket has a 1gig cap on data for Android phones (unlimited my ass) read the fine print. After that they throttle your internet. If you have any more questions hit me up.

(Ex Cricket Employee/ Store Owner & Cell Phone Junkie!)
I have a question or two...what is a skinned phone--how do I know if I have one? & how do I know if I am in a tri-band Cricket area?
I am looking at the possibility of flashing my Lg Optimus S 2.3 OS from Sprint to Cricket. Cricket store guy says that flashed androids often have issues such as not receiving text messages & that there isn't anything they can do for these issues as the phone isn't a Cricket phone. Has anyone else had any problems after they flashed a phone? I am open to all advice on this. Thanks
fynegirl72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scur View Post
Ok, I did it. I got my Verizon Motorola Droid X2 saturday. Over the weekend I figured out how to throw the NV items on the phone, put in the proper PRL, changed the phone number in the phone, rooted the stock Froyo, and deleted the bloatware. Today I got Cricket to switch the ESN on my account from my old Ascend to the X2, and everything is working perfectly. If you're handy with flashing, and can follow directions, it's not hard.
how would i get the fascinate flashed
reaped soul is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash35 View Post
I'm a Cricket Franchise owner that full flashes Sprint and Verizon phones to Cricket. Cricket is 3G and is from what I've heard going to be 4G later this year in selected areas and in all Cricket Coverage areas in 2012. Cricket is unlimited talk,text and Internet, but when any provider tells you unlimited data it only means they will not shut down your internet or charge you extra if you go over whatever cap they have set place for internet usage. They will just throttle your internet.
i have to ask can you help me flash my verizion to cricket i really need help iphones and stuff are easy but i have a motorola A855 droid i need it rooted and flashed
jrolling69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Sanzenbacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marrakesh
Posts: 44
 
Device(s): Huawei Ascend II, Samsung SGH-T499
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sanzenbacher Send a message via MSN to Sanzenbacher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Basically Sprint or Verizon, because they are CDMA like Cricket. T-Mo and ATT phones won't work because they are GSM and require sim cards.
Sorry for the bump. Huawei Ascend II with US Cellular would be able to flash, right?
Sanzenbacher is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 21st, 2012, 08:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,300
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,105
Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanzenbacher View Post
Sorry for the bump. Huawei Ascend II with US Cellular would be able to flash, right?
I'm no expert, but I don't see why not. Especially since Cricket has the same phone. But since it usually costs $60 to fully flash an Android, you might consider just selling yours and buying a Cricket one and make things easier on yourself.
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Cricket
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.