Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Dell Streak 7

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Looking at streak, need to double-check compatibility

Hey fellas. I am so surprised at the cost of this product off contract! Not bad, not bad at all, especially considering pretty much al of the high end cell phones are about 600 bucks unsubsidized.

Anyway, I wanted to double check AT&T compatibility.

So the Streak 7 supports the following: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850, UMTS1700, UMTS1900, UMTS2100.

And I know AT&T uses GSM 850 and 1900 and UMTS 850 and 1900 (right? that's just from memory, but surprisingly it wasn't an easy question to answer via google). I once had some kinda shitty cell phone and a 3G data plan, and when the captivate came out, I bought it used from some dude on craigslist, popped in my SIM, and I was good to go.

HOWEVER, even though the band frequencies I need are there, I realized that I dunno how at&t feels about me using a t-mo phone... dunno why they would care really, but is that something to be concerned about? Also, if I go to a t-mo store or Best Buy or whatever, will they unlock it for me if I buy it unsubsidized and show my at&t sim? If NOT, generally speaking, how hard is it to get an unlock code from t-mo over the phone? Never dealt with them before, so any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

sponsored links
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note, Dell Streak 7
Carrier: Not Provided

If it can support at&t 3G that's great, but I'm sticking with my streak being a 4G device with T-Mobile, I mean why not? I do have at&t but its under a family plan, so in which I was allowed to get my own service with T-Mobile, my brother and sister also have at&t under my parent's family plan, my little sister needed a new phone and my mom was given a T-Mobile phone to replace the bad one my sister had, which I had unlocked and it's been working perfect since Christmas, so I would think at&t would have no problem with you using an intended T-Mobile device, as T-Mobile doesn't seem to say much with their customers with at&t iPhones. Once you buy it, its yours! Remember that. As for BB unlocking it, I'm not too sure, many places don't charge that much anyway, $20-$40, depending on the device/website. But you do as you want, but i would HIGHLY suggest you go to T-Mobile, ask about the Equipment Installment Plan, get a credit check and see if you want it that way, or use the EIP toward the subsidized price and get the 2 year contract (which I did!) and pay less! So good luck there!

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Dell Streak 7